SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
No, sorry, I got if from someone else on twitter.
No worries. Do you know the source document by any chance??

I'm having a bit of a brain fart right now, are ye agreeing with me or not? I genuinely can't tell.:(
Agreeing, adding clarification. We like to be exactingly correct around these parts.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I'm having a bit of a brain fart right now, are ye agreeing with me or not? I genuinely can't tell.:(
I disagree because SOLDIER Cloud is from true Cloud’s perspective the ideal version of a SOLDIER. True Cloud has quite some warped views due to him being younger in his head.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
I think no matter what some people are just not going to like the way they went with Aerith over the honest, forthright/forward, enterprising version of Aerith they thought existed in OG, they don't want to see those they see as "haters" as right, for them it wasn't a girl hung up on her ex to the extent extremists have called deluded/desperate and sad, I don't know I think some think people are calling Aerith pathetic, and they never wanted Aerith to be a sad, pathetic character, so if they see anything they think justifies that take the defenses go up, so I think part of any possible melt down for p3 not going the way some wants is dismissing everything but OG.
So she gets to join the rest of the cast in being sad and somewhat pathetic. Sounds like a win to me lol

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I think no matter what some people are just not going to like the way they went with Aerith over the honest, forthright/forward, enterprising version of Aerith they thought existed in OG, they don't want to see those they see as "haters" as right, for them it wasn't a girl hung up on her ex to the extent extremists have called deluded/desperate and sad, I don't know I think some think people are calling Aerith pathetic, and they never wanted Aerith to be a sad, pathetic character, so if they see anything they think justifies that take the defenses go up, so I think part of any possible melt down for p3 not going the way some wants is dismissing everything but OG.

Thing is. It's good for a character to have flaws. That makes them interesting.

Sure I agree it's not really enjoyable to watch people using them to be mean and talk with bad faith.

But on the other side of the spectrum, you see Aerith's fan pushing this all mighty version of her. Girl has no flaws. All she say is the truth. All she does is right. And it's just wrong all the same. It's not helping her either imo.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
I disagree because SOLDIER Cloud is from true Cloud’s perspective the ideal version of a SOLDIER. True Cloud has quite some warped views due to him being younger in his head.
That's not what I was saying though, I know that the persona is built primarily off of what Cloud wanted to be, I'm saying it's not an accurate representation of the actual him, and that there are many moments where I think Real!Cloud would have acted completely differently to SOLDIER!Cloud, like the way he treated the members of AVALANCHE, for example.

I don't think the Real Cloud is as aloof or "not interested" as people make him out to be, I never really got that impression from him. Especially not when he was joking around with Tifa at the end of the game:

"I'll make a big enough ruckus for everyone!"

and when he was being sappy with Tifa, reassuring her that they would find their "normal life" and that he would be there to remind Tifa of how strong she is, or how they had silly conversations together.

and as far as young Cloud goes, he's pretty welcoming of Zack and friendly towards him from the get-go. Cloud only seemed like some kind of distant and aloof person when he was a child because he didn't like Tifa's friend group specifically.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
That's not what I was saying though, I know that the persona is built primarily off of what Cloud wanted to be, I'm saying it's not an accurate representation of the actual him, and that there are many moments where I think Real!Cloud would have acted completely differently to SOLDIER!Cloud, like the way he treated the members of AVALANCHE, for example.

I don't think the Real Cloud is as aloof or "not interested" as people make him out to be, I never really got that impression from him. Especially not when he was joking around with Tifa at the end of the game:

and when he was being sappy with Tifa, reassuring her that they would find their "normal life" and that he would be there to remind Tifa of how strong she is, or how they had silly conversations together.

and as far as young Cloud goes, he's pretty welcoming of Zack and friendly towards him from the get-go. Cloud only seemed like some kind of distant and aloof person when he was a child because he didn't like Tifa's friend group specifically.
Sorry for the formatting but I’m on my phone. The not interested is very Cloud but he acts differently and sappy towards Tifa because he’s in love with her and wants to cheer her up. This is the reason why CTs are like “some people won’t recognise Cloud next game” because they’ve a warped view of him. Tifa did shed some light on him, especially in Nibelheim, but seriously fans just don’t know how bad he is for her. Yuffie even mentioned how weird is that he’s being nice after his night under the HW with Tifa, which shows true Cloud usually doesn’t really show his nice side. But well that’s the OG, maybe they retconned that part of him but I’m doubtful since he’s kind of aloof too in CoT and AC/C.

Rin

Pro Adventurer

I think Cloud is really multifaceted, which is what makes him such a great character. As a young boy, he had a massive chip on his shoulder but the older he got the more he felt like he needed to earn it instead--which he never quite does. I do think his "not interested" schtick is a way for him to hide how emotional and sensitive he really is deep down--I think a great example is seen in ACC where he claims to be "not interested" in anything the Turks/Rufus has to say yet he WAS listening and internalized it quietly after making a show of being cold and disinterested.

When it comes to Zack in CC, I feel like Cloud was really in awe of him and so of course he was a lot more friendly, a lot softer, a lot kinder, etc. But I would say that even Zack didn't get a fully rounded picture of Cloud because despite the fact that he has the capacity to be kind and soft, he can also be a sharp tongued dick sometimes, too. We see this in ToTP when he asks Tifa if she even feeds her cat at all since Fluffy is always running away and eating birds. Tifa is like "Of course I feed her!! 😤 Wtf kinda question is that?!" So, we know that him being a dick sometimes isn't just his SOLIDER persona, but an aspect of the real him as well. He just dials it up to 100 in the SOLDIER persona.

But if Zack ever got to see that side of Cloud, we weren't really shown it outside of one scene where Cloud says Zack can't really say shit about Nibelheim if he's from a backwater place like Gongaga. And I, personally, would like to see Zack and Cloud interact more w/ Cloud being comfortable enough to be his typical sharp tongued, witty, sometimes-way-too-blunt, self.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
his nice side. But well that’s the OG, maybe they retconned that part of him but I’m doubtful since he’s kind of aloof too in CoT and AC/C.
I think Cloud is really multifaceted, which is what makes him such a great character. As a young boy, he had a massive chip on his shoulder but the older he got the more he felt like he needed to earn it instead--which he never quite does. I do think his "not interested" schtick is a way for him to hide how emotional and sensitive he really is deep down--I think a great example is seen in ACC where he claims to be "not interested" in anything the Turks/Rufus has to say yet he WAS listening and internalized it quietly after making a show of being cold and disinterested.
I will concede that he's probably much friendlier and nicer to Tifa, but I still doubt the Real Cloud would have been half as rude to the members of AVALANCHE.

I mean he doesn't seem very "not interested" when he meets Evan and them aswell, the same way he wasn't aloof with Zack when he first met him.
But yeah, there might just be an element of him already admiring and respecting Zack because he was in SOLDIER.

I still think that there are times when he is that aloof, somewhat reserved "not interested" guy, but I feel like that's a bit overblown.

I dunno, maybe seeing Cloud portrayed as some kind of edgelord in other stuff and online warps my view a bit, like I never got that impression from him! Real Cloud, that is.

edited for a bit more clarity*

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I will concede that he's probably much friendlier and nicer to Tifa, but I still doubt the Real Cloud would have been half as rude to the members of AVALANCHE.

I mean he doesn't seem very "not interested" when he meets Evan and them aswell, the same way he wasn't aloof with Zack when he first met him.
But yeah, there might just be an element of him already admiring and respecting Zack because he was in SOLDIER.

I don't think he's necessarily "not interested", there are definitely times when he displays that, yes, but I think he's just a bit shy aswell.

I dunno, maybe seeing Cloud portrayed as some kind of edgelord in other stuff and online warps my view a bit, like I never got that impression from him! Real Cloud, that is.
Yeah, like I said I think it's just a front to hide how emotionally sensitive he really is. It's a form of self-preservation but he learns how to talk to people, how to hold them at arms length without being a total dick, so it's not necessary for him to lean all the way into being "not interested" anymore post OG.

Something I found interesting though is that when he remembers Zack in the Nibelheim Inn, Zack specifically says, "Wait let me guess, 'Not interested', right?" before Cloud gives him the go ahead to talk about Aerith but this is probably Cloud continuing to be an unreliable narrator since Rebirth Zack is super confused at the way Biggs describes Cloud lmao.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Something I found interesting though is that when he remembers Zack in the Nibelheim Inn, Zack specifically says, "Wait let me guess, 'Not interested', right?" before Cloud gives him the go ahead to talk about Aerith but this is probably Cloud continuing to be an unreliable narrator since Rebirth Zack is super confused at the way Biggs describes Cloud lmao.
That's something else yeah, Biggs is describing Cloud as that reserved, aloof guy and Zack is kinda like "??? are we talking about the same guy?"

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
To be fair, we didn't experience Real Cloud for too long even in OG.

Not to mention it's basically a 15 years old in a young adult body. So it will take some time for him to settle things up.

I think deep down he's a just caring introvert dude.

And sure AC is part of the official stuff... but a lot of people didn't like this Cloud depiction. And I kinda agree. AC and KH killed the character for many years before Remake came and fixed it.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy

I still think that there are times when he is that aloof, somewhat reserved "not interested" guy, but I feel like that's a bit overblown.

edited for a bit more clarity*
he would by shy meeting Avalanche but probably be in awe of them honestly. Barret especially, Though real Cloud he might have also been jealous of Tifa making friends with them and being close.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
The problem is that dorky Cloud was rewritten in AC into emo Cloud because Nomura thought that’s how fans remembered him so… AC Cloud colours a lot the fandom. Yes another reason to dislike that movie.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
The problem is that dorky Cloud was rewritten in AC into emo Cloud because Nomura thought that’s how fans remembered him so… AC Cloud colours a lot the fandom. Yes another reason to dislike that movie.
He does but it does make sense he is feeling all that Guilt. The problem is we still havent seen real Cloud as his dorky shy self apart from crisis core with voice acting for a long period of time. Another reason part 3 is going to be Peak

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
To be fair, we didn't experience Real Cloud for too long even in OG.

Not to mention it's basically a 15 years old in a young adult body. So it will take some time for him to settle things up.

I think deep down he's a just caring introvert dude.

And sure AC is part of the official stuff... but a lot of people didn't like this Cloud depiction. And I kinda agree. AC and KH killed the character for many years before Remake came and fixed it.
I’ll give KH2 this, that little back and forth between Cloud and Leon was pretty rad

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
He does but it does make sense he is feeling all that Guilt. The problem is we still havent seen real Cloud as his dorky shy self apart from crisis core with voice acting for a long period of time. Another reason part 3 is going to be Peak
That reminds me, if the voice Cody Christian gives real Cloud is akin to when he says "what'd they tell you?" to Tifa in Gongaga, I will be so satisfied.

Here it is for anyone wondering:

I don't really know if this is going to work so I'll fix it if it doesn't.

EDIT: it does, hooray.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Man, I tried catching up but COULD not do it, lets hope I still know what I wanted to say.
Look I will be the first to admit it. And I don't care if they come for me. If Cloud and Aerith had an optional kiss scene in Rebirth you would never hear the end of it.
Oh most definitely, they were already not shutting up about it before it even happened. Hell, they haven't been shutting up about the gold saucer date for 27 years, it's only now that there is a Cloti kiss in it that suddenly it no longer matters.

Most people here don't hate Clerith fans at all
I'm of two minds, I don't hate Clerith fans as a rule. But I do intensely dislike the effect of Clerith on the product, and I think that as a group I do hate "Clerith" itself. So when people identify as such it does bother me that they're essentially lending weight to a group that I think as a whole the fandom would be better off without. I don't hate people who simply like the dynamic between Cloud and Aerith though and like the idea of a romance between them. I like the idea of Auron and Beatrix, not everything has to make sense.

Yep. And I’m done. Goodnight folks. Thanks for explaining to me how storytelling works.
See, this was highly ironic, if I remember correctly (this was days ago lol) you were complaining about toxicity. My gut reaction to that was "usually it's not the people being called toxic that are toxic in this situation, it's the people who yell crybully and act like victims", and then you immediately personified that. Thanks for reinforcing my beliefs.

I liked her pink dresses too and hated that for her “worst” dress i.e. the one you get if you don’t do any sidequests in Sector 5, you have literal rats following after her and some dogs and cats like… what even are they trying to say with this?!
Lets be honest, that was just for humorous effect, we shouldn't take everything so seriously.

I have a feeling hardcore CA's heads are going to explode in the third game. These last two games have pushed so hard for ZA and CT
They legitimately think that the last two games have been pushing Clerith, their heads will never explode because nothing penetrates those thick skulls.

What proves to him he's a real person is with his shared memories with Tifa. How they grew together in Nibelheim, how he promised to her he'll become a Soldier

Not exactly, what proves he's a real person are his feelings, because those can't be mimicked because they're his and his alone. Tifa knew that Cloud was on the water tower, so that memory can come from her.....but she didn't know WHY he called her there. It's his memories of his feelings that are uniquely his that explain his actions and thereby prove he's really him.

The problem is, keeping Sephiroth alive because they want ACC to happen is making FF7 an endless loop. They can, no doubt. But it means that after 30 years, our characters will know no salvation.

Because if ACC as we know it exists, it means Sephiroth and Jenova are still present in the LS, so it means Sephiroth and Jenova are still able to act on the inside, so it means Sephiorth and Jenova as seen in Remake with knowledge of the future and therefore abilities to change the course of things. Because a Sephiroth in ACC with the knowledge of what happened in Remake and Rebirth, can again try to change things when the party will still defeat him in the 3rd part.

So yeah. The devs have some explanations to do.
This is wrong imo. For the characters time doesn't loop. It just goes on, only Sephiroth is doomed to be stuck in an eternal loop of loss. Cloud and Co simply defeat him in AC and go on with their lives, leaving Sephiroth behind in an eternal losing streak.
This. Too many times in the re;trilogy do the party basically go "Welp, that was weird, moving on" and then never address it until it comes up again.
This, this is one of the things that really bothered me in Rebirth. I know Tifa doesn't want to bring it up to Cloud for fear of what is might cause, and I accept that. But Cloud should be asking more directed questions and the party themselves should be talking amongst themselves a whole lot more.
I get what you mean. Cause in AC, Sephiroth says: "I will never be a memory" which implies that he is not gone forever. So if remake project leads into AC, it means Sephiroth has technically won. If remake project wants to destroy Sephiroth once and for all, I can see why remake project would have to end after AC.
I don't see why
Lmao, I don’t engage with anyone. It’s just interesting I guess. Like a morbid curiosity.

I mean the LTD is interesting, but it’s never really “fun” it seems to discuss it. Back in the day I loved talking about The Last of Us and if Joel was right or wrong for what he did. It was interesting to see how people interpreted the end and the game as a whole that led up to it.

But this…I mean debating something like a kiss. It’s nuts.
I hate it, I want the LTD to die so I can stop talking about it. I don't actually care enough about Cloud and Tifa to waste this much time on something that doesn't matter. As soon as the LTD is over, I rest.
So during the GS HA date, when she said Cloud is different and wanted to see the real Cloud, was she still not over Zack?
No. People make the mistake of conflating "trying to see Cloud for Cloud" with "seeing the real Cloud".
The trick is to imagine that Cloud WASN'T mimicking Zack, but that this was his actual personality, and to imagine Aerith saying the same thing to him. Then look at the difference between that situation and the one we actually have, if you understand that difference you understand the snag.

If Cloud was just a dude, Aerith could still be using him the way she was. Trying to find out about Zack, trying to relive her time with him, etc.
And she could still tell Cloud that that was wrong and that she'd be looking at him FOR him from now on. She could still fall in love with this new person and have it be a love for this new personality.

And this is essentially what happens.

However, with Cloud there is the added element that the person she's now falling in love with ISN'T a new personality, it's STILL Zack. So while she is now no longer looking at Cloud and directly projecting Zack onto him (which would come FROM HER), she's still falling in love with someone wearing a Zack disguise (its coming from Cloud).
Conclusion, while not looking for Zack specifically, she is still looking for someone like Zack, because that's both what attracts her, and because she's not over him.

" That’s it. I give up! I can’t stop thinking of you. Ugh, I can’t stand this!”

Is that Cloud or Zack she is talking about? I have seen arguments made that it could be either depending on interpretation.

Zack, because she WANTS to move on, if she couldn't stop thinking about Cloud she'd be happy because that means improvement.

Is this the argument about why didn't Cloud have a reaction to Tifas wall market dress? Cause when he sees her he's in a drag, has also been gassed and has woken up to find them all in a dungeon. So I don't think anyone would be like well gotta say you look amazing or gasp when in this situation. That argument was always one of the weirdest ones. How little they care about storytelling for that one to make any sense, and common logic

It's really annoying how often people bring up questions to which the answer is simply "because it's a different situation, plus it's a game, we can't waste time on everything". What matters is the purpose of the scene, that scene wasn't about leering at Tifa, it wouldn't fit, so it didn't happen.

All I'm gonna say is if Cloud reacted to characters beauty every time we would barely be making any progress in the story XD
Exactly
One could argue infact that Cloud's reaction to Tifa at the beach is akin to Cloud's reaction to Aerith in the red dress, as in, think of it like another "balancing act" just like in Remake they had Cloud and Aerith have a close up drawn out high five, well in Rebirth they also give Tifa a close up drawn out high five.

Yes, the beach scene is purely Tifa for anyone wishing to argue, watch the camera and listen to the music.
Seriously, when I first saw the beach scene I wanted to know if Aerith received one as well. It didn't even occur to me that it might be intended to be for both lol.
Someone on twitter actually pointed out that the wording is the exact same to describe Tifa and Cloud's feelings.

This is from the 10th anniversary ultimania:

and this is from Cloud's recent story:

Does anyone know the exact Japanese phrasing? Taisetsu no Josei? Taisetsu no Hito?
Don't get me wrong, I'm in the camp of believing FFX is a masterpiece from start to finish and I actually really love the ending and I'm accepting of it but I can't lie and say that the 100% ending for X-2 didn't mend my 12-year-old broken heart lol. I don't like the plot of X-2 at all, I think it's horrific even though the game is really fun to play / it was my most played FF growing up, but if it gave me anything it gave me a happy, fanservice reunion for my OTP.
Well, FFX doesn't have the same themes so there really wasn't a problem there with Tidus coming back imo.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer

I still think the angst in AC is a little bit artificial.

Sure his feelings are natural. But I don't know. I think Cloud is too extreme in his behavior

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
So, I don't know if it's a properly formalized term yet, but I recently came across the phrase "fundamental systemic incongruence." which basically means "When someone's basic assumptions are so different and so ingrained that it presents a barrier to examining the facts as they are because doing so challenges those basic assumptions." Flat eartherism being a handy example of this sort of thing in the real world.

I bring this up because in my recent jaunt to the clerith discord, I saw a thread called "why do people think there's a love triangle" with readings of the narrative that were so divorced from the text that I realized we have to be dealing with this. The idea that FF7 is Cloud and Aerith's love story is their basic assumption. Not their conclusion, that is the assumption that colors all of their other readings of the text. They are fighting desperately to protect their basic assumptions, and that is why the LTD has lasted almost 30 years and counting.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
So, I don't know if it's a properly formalized term yet, but I recently came across the phrase "fundamental systemic incongruence." which basically means "When someone's basic assumptions are so different and so ingrained that it presents a barrier to examining the facts as they are because doing so challenges those basic assumptions." Flat eartherism being a handy example of this sort of thing in the real world.

I bring this up because in my recent jaunt to the clerith discord, I saw a thread called "why do people think there's a love triangle" with readings of the narrative that were so divorced from the text that I realized we have to be dealing with this. The idea that FF7 is Cloud and Aerith's love story is their basic assumption. Not their conclusion, that is the assumption that colors all of their other readings of the text. They are fighting desperately to protect their basic assumptions, and that is why the LTD has lasted almost 30 years and counting.
i truly can't think of a game that has something like this level of just rejecting an entire story and characters to fit a conclusion made before playing the game. Do you mean the reddit page btw cause i saw something similar but i looked at a few and was like this is something else. The claerith reddit page is where all the people who just like the clerith ship are. The clerith reddit seems like a cult spreading lies and not allowing people to question them or you get banned.

nepheneethedestroyer

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I still think the angst in AC is a little bit artificial.

Sure his feelings are natural. But I don't know. I think Cloud is too extreme in his behavior
Honestly I just cannot get over Cloud LEAVING. Leaving is insane. Tifa is 21, 22 in AC? Running the bar, taking orders/requests for the delivery service, Barret leaves Marlene with her, Cloud adopts Denzel and leaves him with her, and then he goes off to Aerith's church? And Denzel gets a terminal illness and Cloud does too but he hides it from her? And he doesn't answer her calls? Like....that would just be so soul crushing to me.

Top Bottom