Scenes you expect to see in HD

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
But FFVII is not like the real world, so even teenagers get huge promotions not because of their age, but because of what they do in their work.

That makes them being teenagers a possibility, that doesn't mean it's simply not right for them to be anything more then teenagers. And again, SOLDIER isn't the same thing, those are genetically enhanced superhumans. The Turks are just a bunch of guys and women.

Well, Reno has half-inhuman speed and Rude has half-inhunman strength and neither of them had any Mako or whatever SOLDIER had. Turks has people who had their own special abilities without Mako and SOLDIER strength. Their teamworks and skills is what made both of them successful. Like I said, it's what they do that gets them promoted, similiar to SOLDIER, NOT their ages.

Besides, I didn't mean ALL of the Turks being teenagers when they join the Turks. Some people like Reno and a few of the BC Turks.

So it makes sense that Reno was in his late teens by the time BC and CC start. Rude was already 21 when Reno was 18, yet it was Reno who was promoted to Third in Command, because he had the potiental leadership material despite his young age.

Like I said, within the Turks despite not having the Mako system or the Jenova cells inside them, it's how they preform their work in successful missions, not because of how young or how old they are. In the world of FFVII, as far as ShinRa was concerned, young age did not matter.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
But FFVII is not like the real world, so even teenagers get huge promotions not because of their age, but because of what they do in their work.

That makes them being teenagers a possibility, that doesn't mean it's simply not right for them to be anything more then teenagers. And again, SOLDIER isn't the same thing, those are genetically enhanced superhumans. The Turks are just a bunch of guys and women.

Well, Reno has half-inhuman speed and Rude has half-inhunman strength and neither of them had any Mako or whatever SOLDIER had.

Tifa is stronger and faster then either of them and there's nothing inhuman about her at all. She just trained for years, while Cloud equally talented (at least), joined Shinra and stayed at the bottomrung by virtue on not being SOLDIER material.

Turks has people who had their own special abilities without Mako and SOLDIER strength. Their teamworks and skills is what made both of them successful. Like I said, it's what they do that gets them promoted, similiar to SOLDIER, NOT their ages.

Yes, the Turks hire people with various special skills, but they don't get promoted into leadership that we see. Tseng and Veldt have command and are definitely senior members, that have been around for a good long while before BC. I don't see the need to make their third in command this nubile youth.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie

Well, Reno has half-inhuman speed and Rude has half-inhunman strength and neither of them had any Mako or whatever SOLDIER had.

Tifa is stronger and faster then either of them and there's nothing inhuman about her at all. She just trained for years, while Cloud equally talented (at least), joined Shinra and stayed at the bottomrung by virtue on not being SOLDIER material.

Turks has people who had their own special abilities without Mako and SOLDIER strength. Their teamworks and skills is what made both of them successful. Like I said, it's what they do that gets them promoted, similiar to SOLDIER, NOT their ages.
Yes, the Turks hire people with various special skills, but they don't get promoted into leadership that we see. Tseng and Veldt have command and are definitely senior members, that have been around for a good long while before BC. I don't see the need to make their third in command this nubile youth.

Oh, so they should've made Katana Third in Command because he was Senior than Reno? No, Reno was promoted as Third in Command BECAUSE he had the potiental, even if he was young.

It makes more sense that Reno was in his teens when he first became a Turk and Turks went through training no matter if they were teenagers or not.

Or you saying that Cissnei was 20 when she first met Zack?

In ShinRa, Turks or SOLDIER, age, does, not, matter. End of story, please.

I will try to give FFVII Remake a chance, but I'm not holding my breath here. I'm mainly looking forward to seeing the Forgotten City in gameplay in HD again, and the scene in which Reno and Rude discuss about Tifa, Elena, Tseng and Aerith near Gongaga.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Oh, so they should've made Katana Third in Command because he was Senior than Reno? No, Reno was promoted as Third in Command BECAUSE he had the potiental, even if he was young.

Well yes, if he had potential, not current capacity, then giving him command over the others is rather premature. Let him actualise that potential to lead first. But I'm not saying Katana should have taken his placem because i don't know if he is senior to Reno at all.

It makes more sense that Reno was in his teens when he first became a Turk and Turks went through training no matter if they were teenagers or not.

I agree. But that does not need to have happened concurrently with Zack. Could've happened a while before BC.

I don't have a problem with Cisssnei being young given a her vague position in the Turks. And unlike Reno, her youthful appearance is notably commented on by Zack, in the actual game. It's not just what you or I choose to see. It's actually pointed out to us.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Tash, your arguments are completely unfounded. There's no reason Reno or anyone else promoted to second in command among the Turks would be a teen with little to no experience. As has been said, Veld and Tseng set a precedent of turks who have several years of experience rather than still being young rookies. You've been grasping at straws just to deny what's been spelled out over and over again. If this conversation isn't going to move forward, then it might as well stop so we can move on and get back to the actual thread topic.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA

Well yes, if he had potential, not current capacity, then giving him command over the others is rather premature. Let him actualise that potential to lead first. But I'm not saying Katana should have taken his placem because i don't know if he is senior to Reno at all.

I agree. But that does not need to have happened concurrently with Zack. Could've happened a while before BC.

I don't have a problem with Cisssnei being young given a her vague position in the Turks. And unlike Reno, her youthful appearance is notably commented on by Zack, in the actual game. It's not just what you or I choose to see. It's actually pointed out to us.

Well, we don't know when Reno was actually promoted. For all we know, he was promoted off-screen during the events of Before Crisis, before being promoted again after Veld left. And why can't have happpened concurrently with Zack. For all we know, Reno became a Turk a year before Zack arrived in Midgar. Plus, Katana is Senior officer.

I'm still believing Reno is 24 in the OG, and I don't want to talk about this anymore. I'm sorry, but it's frustrating.

Tash, your arguments are completely unfounded. There's no reason Reno or anyone else promoted to second in command among the Turks would be a teen with little to no experience. As has been said, Veld and Tseng set a precedent of trucks who have several years of experience rather than still being young rookies. You've been grasping at straws just to deny what's been spelled out over and over again. If this conversation isn't going to move forward, then it might as well stop so we can move on and get back to the actual thread topic.

*Sighs* Reno was most likely had been 20 when he was promoted to Second in Command and that was a year after the Nibelhiem incident.

And yes, that's what I said in my previous comment: End of story, and I've moved up to try and give the Remake a chance and looking forward in exploring the Forgotten City and the scene with Reno and Rude talking about Tifa, Elena, Tseng and Aerith.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
You're making it sound like everyone else is being unreasonable simply for disagreeing with you despite being quite reasonable about it. In the end, none of us actually know their ages, the Turks and SOLDIER are two separate groups that have different ways of doing things and are therefore not required to have the same age requirenents for promotions and speculating on possible ages we don't actually know about isn't going to accomplish anything. Any conclusion drawn would merely be speculation or headcanon.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
You're making it sound like everyone else is being unreasonable simply for disagreeing with you despite being quite reasonable about it.

Because this entire argument started when I made an annoyed sarcastic comment about Reno and Cid's ages being switched in the remake, and then Minato(no offence) said it makes sense, which it doesn't.

Alotta people know that Cid is older than Reno, but that doesn't mean Cid has to be like in his 40's or something.

So I don't wanna talk about this anymore and I want to return to the main point of this thread.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Actually, we don't know whether Cid is older or younger than Reno. We've been given Cid's age as being 31 in the OG but Reno could be just as old for all we know, since we never given his age. Reno's OG artwork looks like he could easily be in his 30s.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Actually, we don't know whether Cid is older or younger than Reno. We've been given Cid's age as being 31 in the OG but Reno could be just as old for all we know, since we never given his age. Reno's OG artwork looks like he could easily be in his 30s.

Yeah, well, they made him look younger in the rest of the FFVII titles which are canon to the original game and fixed things up since the OG is old.

And I still stay that Reno is younger than Cid.

Which brings back to my point that the Remake another way of calling it a REBOOT.

Now can we PLEASE stop talking about this?

Starling

Pro Adventurer
No fixing occurred. BC and CC are set before the OG, so they actually would end up looking younger due to the time difference. That doesn't mean they wouldn't still be the same age by the time of the events of FFVII. Then, there's the matter of the art shift, which can make the change more marked than necessary and give the illusion of altered ages despite no such alteration occurring. Judging by the way Biggs, Wedge, Jessie, Cloud and Barret look in the trailer, Reno will look more like his OG artwork than the way he does in the compilation.

Keep thinking that Cid is older than Reno all you want but it's just as likely to be the opposite until we get confirmation on Reno's age. Therefore, such a claim is speculation rather than canon fact just as the opposite would be.

Yes, the remake is changing things. No, they're not making significant enough changes to warrant calling it a reboot rather than a remake. The changes involve adding things to the OG plot rather than completely redoing the entire plot structure to alter fundamental parts of it. It'll be a different experience but it's still the same plot.

Unless you feel the need to add something else I want to elaborate on. Yes, we can stop. Just try to think about what your arguments are based on before posting them in the future and whether or not you've addressed what others have responded with. It's why this whole thing got so circular.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
No fixing occurred. BC and CC are set before the OG, so they actually would end up looking younger due to the time difference. That doesn't mean they wouldn't still be the same age by the time of the events of FFVII. Then, there's the matter of the art shift, which can make the change more marked than necessary and give the illusion of altered ages despite no such alteration occurring. Judging by the way Biggs, Wedge, Jessie, Cloud and Barret look in the trailer, Reno will look more like his OG artwork than the way he does in the compilation.

Keep thinking that Cid is older than Reno all you want but it's just as likely to be the opposite until we get confirmation on Reno's age. Therefore, such a claim is speculation rather than canon fact just as the opposite would be.

Yes, the remake is changing things. No, they're not making significant enough changes to warrant calling it a reboot rather than a remake. The changes involve adding things to the OG plot rather than completely redoing the entire plot structure to alter fundamental parts of it. It'll be a different experience but it's still the same plot.

Unless you feel the need to add something else I want to elaborate on. Yes, we can stop. Just try to think about what your arguments are based on before posting them in the future and whether or not you've addressed what others have responded with. It's why this whole thing got so circular.

But in the near ending scene where the Turks are looking for Cloud and Zack, Reno still looks younger than Cid in Crisis Core(set immediately before both the ending of Before Crisis and in the beginning of FFVII) and it's the same in Advent Children.

Unless the Compilation of FFVII was never Canon to begin with and Square Enix was lying to us by calling it Canon.

I refuse to believe that the Compilation was not canon.

Yes we don't know the ages of the Turks, but I still think it makes sense that the Turks(at least Reno and Elena) are in their mid 20's in the OG and in AC, not in their 30's. Well, at least Tseng is in his early 30's in AC and Rude is possibly 29, Reno is 26 and Elena is 22 in AC.

Now let's stop right here at this moment.

At this, with them making changes to the storyline from the OG and not making connections with the Compilation still has me believe that the Remake is more of a Reboot.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Tashasaurous said:
But in the near ending scene where the Turks are looking for Cloud and Zack, Reno still looks younger than Cid in Crisis Core(set immediately before both the ending of Before Crisis and in the beginning of FFVII) and it's the same in Advent Children.
Art shift, remember? They bishified Cid too, considering he's not as rough looking as in the OG. They also gave Nanaki a dog-like nose instead of his distinctly feline one. In short, most characters look different when comparing their OG and compilation looks, which is especially evident when also comparing the remake designs we've seen. The compilation strayed away from things in the OG, causing a shift in perception that's responsible for a lot of the fandom disagreements about the compilation in relation to the OG. It also introduced elements that don't mesh well with the OG or even other parts of the compilation, creating a fragmented narrative that doesn't really make sense as a whole. These are issues the remake seems to be determined to fix. That's why I figure whatever post OG material we may or may not get with or after the remake will be the kind of sequel most of the fans will be happy with, as it would finally be free of the issues the compilation had while still preserving whatever got kept with the remake, regardless of how much of the compilation is kept.

Unless the Compilation of FFVII was never Canon to begin with and Square Enix was lying to us by calling it Canon.

Saying square lied about the compilation being canon is like saying the star wars expanded universe was never canon just because it's no longer considered such right now. It's an innacurate description of the situation. We don't have official word on the state of the compilation at this moment so for now we might as well just wait until they say something or the remake comes out to be sure on the matter.

Yes we don't know the ages of the Turks, but I still think it makes sense that the Turks(at least Reno and Elena) are in their mid 20's in the OG and in AC, not in their 30's. Well, at least Tseng is in his early 30's in AC and Rude is possibly 29, Reno is 26 and Elena is 22 in AC.
As long as you remember we don't have any canon info on their exact ages, you can speculate all you want about it and extend that courtesy to others.

At this, with them making changes to the storyline from the OG and not making connections with the Compilation still has me believe that the Remake is more of a Reboot.
Let's agree to disagree about reboot vs remake.

Soakette

Donator
AKA
Jess
Tashasaurous[quote said:
Reno still looks younger than Cid

I just want to say something regarding this comment. Someone who looks like they are young might not be. Im 27 and people 99% of the time think I am at least 7-10 years younger. A girl I work with looks like shes in her 40s but shes really 10 years younger in her 30's, some people just look older or younger depending on genetics and other factors, like skin care regime.

I actually think the reason why the girl I work with looks older is because she smokes A LOT. Doesnt CId smoke? Maybe thats why he looks older. Who knows.

I also thought that the only reason Reno is second in command is because after all the Turks left it was only him , Rude and Tseng and therefore he was the second senior Turk in that small group. I don't recall anywhere stating he was promoted before that and I dont even ever remember reading that he was second in command at all. I have been reading this entire argument and thats my two cents. Ill go back to just lurking in the shadows now.

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Tashasaurous said:
Art shift, remember? They bishified Cid too, considering he's not as rough looking as in the OG. They also gave Nanaki a dog-like nose instead of his distinctly feline one. In short, most characters look different when comparing their OG and compilation looks, which is especially evident when also comparing the remake designs we've seen. The compilation strayed away from things in the OG, causing a shift in perception that's responsible for a lot of the fandom disagreements about the compilation in relation to the OG. It also introduced elements that don't mesh well with the OG or even other parts of the compilation, creating a fragmented narrative that doesn't really make sense as a whole. These are issues the remake seems to be determined to fix. That's why I figure whatever post OG material we may or may not get with or after the remake will be the kind of sequel most of the fans will be happy with, as it would finally be free of the issues the compilation had while still preserving whatever got kept with the remake, regardless of how much of the compilation is kept.

Saying square lied about the compilation being canon is like saying the star wars expanded universe was never canon just because it's no longer considered such right now. It's an innacurate description of the situation. We don't have official word on the state of the compilation at this moment so for now we might as well just wait until they say something or the remake comes out to be sure on the matter.

As long as you remember we don't have any canon info on their exact ages, you can speculate all you want about it and extend that courtesy to others.

Let's agree to disagree about reboot vs remake.

So the Compilation was never Canon to begin with? Is that it?

Why do I even borther if everyone here hates the Compilation and I'm the only on this site who prefers it because to me it fixed things up the OG had?

If that's the case, then the Compilation never should've existed in the first place and I'm fighting in a constant battle which I'm always the loser at.

It's not fair.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
The OG was fine without the compilation, which didn't really fix anything and wasn't really meant to. The compilation was canon when it was made and for now it still is, though the remake suggests things will change. Last Order was canon when it was made and then declared non canon later. The Nibelheim part of BC is presumably non canon for the same reason as Last Order, since they were made to tie into each other. Even if the compilation becomes entirely non canon, you're still getting some of it in the remake, so it won't all be gone.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
The OG was fine without the compilation, which didn't really fix anything and wasn't really meant to. The compilation was canon when it was made and for now it still is, though the remake suggests things will change. Last Order was canon when it was made and then declared non canon later. The Nibelheim part of BC is presumably non canon for the same reason as Last Order, since they were made to tie into each other. Even if the compilation becomes entirely non canon, you're still getting some of it in the remake, so it won't all be gone.

No it wasn't. I was really happy that the Compilation was made because it answered my question about what happened to humanity between after Meteor Crisis and 500 years into the future.

But now we'll be right back to square one: the fate of humanity left unanswered and the Remake is definately a reboot with the same original ending, no connections with the Compilation and humanity erased.

But what's the point of me saying this if no one agrees with me?

At this point of time, Nomura's interviews were nothing but lies back in 2009 and now he and the rest of the company just lost several fans who loved the Compilation.

Well Congratulations! (Goes off and cries).

Starling

Pro Adventurer
The remake will probably have a post meteor scene that proves humanity survived. I remember someone making this really long explanation of how various aspects of the 500 years later scene suggests humanity survived even without factoring in anything outside the OG. The compilation is still getting some references in the remake and we still have the OG so it's not really Starting from scratch. That would involve starting over as if the OG itself never happened, not just the compilation.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I have a lot to cover with you in this post, Tasha, but first and foremost, I need to begin here:

"It's not fair."

If you're in your 20s, please act like it. Not everyone will like the same things you do. That is a fact of life, but it is not a violation of anything you're entitled to. It is not somehow unfair to you.

That point made, we do not, in fact, all hate the Compilation. There a few of us who actually do, but most of us like more than a few things about it even while being disappointed by other elements.

It is possible to dislike part of something without disliking the whole.

Most of us dislike that the Compilation presented inconsistencies (of plot details, the world setting, even characterization) between the newer titles and the original game. That doesn't mean we don't like the Compilation at all.

Respect differences of taste.

A few other things:

-Yes, the Compilation is canon. Please discontinue that bizarre point of argument

-Stop making up things and insisting they're fact. Whatever reasoning you may be going by to arrive at your conclusions, your speculation is still just speculation since you can't point to an official source that verifies any of it. As such, your speculation about the character's precise ages is no more inherently concrete or valuable than anyone else's

-Finally, please drop this "no connections with the Compilation" delusion you keep complaining about. Nomura has explicitly said that the remake will serve in part to establish stronger ties between the original game's story and the Compilation, so you are complaining (frankly, throwing a tantrum) about something you have been told isn't a concern

Now, seriously. Please act your age.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I have a lot to cover with you in this post, Tasha, but first and foremost, I need to begin here:

"It's not fair."

If you're in your 20s, please act like it. Not everyone will like the same things you do. That is a fact of life, but it is not a violation of anything you're entitled to. It is not somehow unfair to you.

That point made, we do not, in fact, all hate the Compilation. There a few of us who actually do, but most of us like more than a few things about it even while being disappointed by other elements.

It is possible to dislike part of something without disliking the whole.

Most of us dislike that the Compilation presented inconsistencies (of plot details, the world setting, even characterization) between the newer titles and the original game. That doesn't mean we don't like the Compilation at all.

Respect differences of taste.

A few other things:

-Yes, the Compilation is canon. Please discontinue that bizarre point of argument

-Stop making up things and insisting they're fact. Whatever reasoning you may be going by to arrive at your conclusions, your speculation is still just speculation since you can't point to an official source that verifies any of it. As such, your speculation about the character's precise ages is no more inherently concrete or valuable than anyone else's

-Finally, please drop this "no connections with the Compilation" delusion you keep complaining about. Nomura has explicitly said that the remake will serve in part to establish stronger ties between the original game's story and the Compilation, so you are complaining (frankly, throwing a tantrum) about something you have been told isn't a concern

Now, seriously. Please act your age.

I'm really sorry. I try to act my age and even my mother keeps telling me to, but I have emotional complications which I haven't even admitted to everyone yet. Yes I do well in my studies, but that doesn't change the fact that I have a problem that no one, not even the doctors I've been seeing for pretty much my entire life know what it is.

I know I should act my age and I know it full well, but I have no full control of it, which makes things a lot worse, no matter what I try, and I'm sorry for acting like a five year old.

I hope you're right about what Nomura said, but lately I'm finding that whatever he says are not true at all.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
.....I'm really sorry about my bad behavior, guys. I didn't mean to be so angry and frustrated.

hian

Purist
Hian, have we not already gone over the whole Zack's death isn't karma thing in a different thread?

Yes, and if you think that I conceded that discussion based on the reply I got there, you're wrong.

I think the problem here isn't so much your dislike of the compilation and how it could negatively affect the remake so much as the sheer bitterness and cynicism in how you're expressing it.

Care to provide an example of that cynicism and bitterness?

Despite having some problems with the compilation, I simply can't get behind what you're saying when it's said like that. Try and be more constructive and less abbrassive about your arguments, as well as more open to what others are responding with.

Care to give an example of me being abrasive to anyone here?

You get mad about how over the top the fight scenes in the compilation are but the OG, like many RPGs, had you fight all manner of things that would require superhuman abilities to manage. How else does someone go about defeating Weapons, a giant mecha, the Midgar Zolom and Sephiroth?

And in FFVII people have many ways of fighting these things that do not require Cloud and Co to continuously defy gravity and cut concrete into pieces, like the Materia and the magic they provide.

Also, I'm not mad about it - please stop projecting emotions unto me simply because I voice a dislike for something.

What do you think fights like that would look like outside of turn-based combat?

I can think of many that would not demand Cloud and Co jumping around like in the compilation titles, but do you really want me to write several pages of fight choreography to make that point? =P

Going over the rest of what you brought up, the technology level issue is a common problem among prequels. As long as they leave out the lifestream internet and keep things consistent overall, they can give the remake more modern technology than the OG without much issue.

Of course they can - that's not a counter to my argument here though.
I was specifically replying to the person who tried to write off the over-the-top Junon fight scene by saying it happened in VR - by pointing out that not only is that irrelevant since those fight scenes are mirrored in non VR scenes other places in the compilation (AC in particular), but also that if we're on the topic of how the compilation breaks stylistically with the original, the technology gap would be another example of that on top of the over-the-top fighting as well, so it was actually not a point in his favor worth raising.

Whether that's common in post-original prequel works in fiction is irrelevant.

For Cloud's level in the Nibelheim flashback, I don't think that was meant to be an accurate representation of his or Zack's combat ability at the time so much as the worf effect showing you how way out of your league Sephiroth is. As a SOLDIER first class, Zack would have to be way more capable a fighter than that. In fact, Cloud as an MP was probably better than that too.

No he wouldn't, and neither would Cloud.

As I said originally - this can only ever be said tentatively because we have no idea how representative the abstraction that is the combat system is supposed to be for the lore of the game, but flash-back young Cloud/Zack would still be considerably stronger than the Shinra MPs you fight at the beginning of the game.

In the OG, there were fighting sounds suggesting Zack fought some MPs off screen before getting shot by the three you see..

You hear him make exactly three slashes with his sword in that scene, and he returns to Cloud after only a few seconds.

Now, for all we know he could already have fought others prior to that as well.

The point is that what little evidence we do have for Zack's character and strength suggests a relatively ordinary and mundane level. Everything from Cloud's perspective of Zack fighting be Sephiroth's side against the dragon, to Zack getting one-shot by Sephiroth, and then getting taken down by a small squad of MPs.

Because of this, having Zack fight other MPs isn't the problem. What I take issue with is the tone change and death scene itself not feeling as impactful as the OG one, where he gets shot, dies and that's it, no dying speech or ascending to the lifestream even though it's in the other direction. That's not a change they made due to some power hierarchy but rather because they thought it would be a more emotionally fulfilling conclusion to a game you spent playing as him.

And I call BS on this because what constitutes an emotionally fulfilling conclusion to a game is completely dependent on how you built up the story of that game to begin with, and there is nothing to say that they would have to build the game up to necessitate that kind of ending.

The last stand of Zack only necessitates him fighting a small horde of MPs because they've built Zack into a characters that needs to fight such a large number for his death to have impact.
If Zack was generally portrayed to be much weaker than that, then him struggling in the exact same way against, say 6 MPs, with say everything else being exactly the same, then I would argue that it would have the exact same factor of emotional fulfillment.

Flashback Cloud probably still reflects the level of 16 year old MP Cloud, who could have been the one facing the Green Dragon instead of guarding the truck instead of Zack. No issues there.

I think that beggars belief to be honest.
Cloud literally replaces himself with Zack in the flashback, down to holding his sword and wearing his clothes, but his still imagining himself to be the same strength as he otherwise would have?

I think I'd go for Occam's Razor here.

I never thought it was super over-the-top in a bad way, because I think Shinra is taking a necessary precaution in killing the man that was almost at equal strength to Sephiroth. Who in the OG is ridiculously powerful anyways (impaling the Midgar Zolom on a tree should tell you something).

That's the thing though - nothing in the original suggests Zack is even remotely close to Sephiroth in terms of strength.
(Also, Sephiroth didn't imnpale the Midgar Zolom, Jenova did =P)

Now, I'm fine accepting Zack's strength within the context of CC as a stand-alone story.
But that has never been my criticism, nor the reason for my dislike of the compilation.
My dislike for the compilation (which I'm generally a fan of when viewed or played in a vacuum - CC is a great action RPG after all) comes from the ways it strays from the original, which to me, should (generally speaking) be the reference point a creator should strive to keep following products consistent with when making follow ups and building a franchise.

I don't care that much for the choreography or writing of the compilation in the context of the original, because of how much I like the original - but I can appreciate it for what it is on its own, and I don't have an issue with people preferring that style.

Some people like oranges, some people like apples. I don't hate on people who like one over the other.
I do however retain the right to criticize or voice my own personal distaste with certain things.

As for the notion that Zack (a seasoned SOLDIER would managed to reach 1st class, which is pretty elitist) should weaker during the Nibelheim flashback than Cloud at the beginning of the OG (with a history of being a Shinra grunt, and then a long coma), IMO that would not make sense.

Actually, I think that would make perfect sense considering that Cloud's latent strength even as an MP was at least partly implied to be greater than Zacks (given the scene where Cloud over-powers Sephiroth while impaled on his sword) already, combined with the fact that Cloud then receives a long-lasting and generous treatment of Mako and Jenova cells.

As for Zack dying because of karma... I think that the concept of karmic-death is very irrelevant in FF VII considering the fates of many characters (Aerith, Biggs/Wedge/Jessie, Reeve, the Turks...)

And I didn't really meant that to be taken literally in that sense though, and as such my wording was inappropriate - I was using the term in a loose sense.
Zack dying the way he did is 1.) completely consistent with most deaths in the original FFVII and 2.) One could argue that him dying in that way, is a logical extension of his role in the plot of the original, where giving him the "Aerith treatment" would be extremely weird given what he did for living up until that point.

It works partly in CC because the entire game sets him up as a good guy - however, as far as the original game goes we don't even know how true this is for him (although we do know he apparently though making a living as a mercenary was completely fine), especially given how morally ambiguous everyone else is in the game.
I think they should have kept it that way - not take a character that was a morally ambiguous, relatively mediocre SOLDIER (which is pretty good grounds for a really interesting story) and turn it into your standard cliche tale about super-strong goodie-two-shoes parallel to Bardock from DBZ.

Now, I'm not convinced that the VR scenes are representative of the whole mood of the game, while you seem to have the opposite impression.

That's because it's perfectly consistent with what we see of the fighting in AC.

That's it from me on this topic. These exchanges eat too much time, so I've set a quota for myself for how many times I can reply in the same thread regarding the same debate, and so I'll have to draw the line here (I'm still reading replies though so you can still change my mind).

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

As I've been saying this whole time, they made Cid 31, really young, despite making him a grey-haired, old man who needed naps, is really cranky and walks hobbly compared to the rest of the crew. They reigned him back quite a bit in AC, but didn't completely bishify him like they decided to do with Reno in AC. Yeah, Cid looks and acts older then the rest. That shouldn't restrict everybody else's age to 30 and down.

Reno still might be 30 or younger in FFVII, but he by no means needs to be. Certainly does not need to be no older then 24.

Top Bottom