30 Days of FF Themes [Music]

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Why did this have to happen during finals!

I'll be doing days 1-20 as that seems to be where most people are at. The only FF games I've played are 7, 8 and parts of 9 so I'm biased.

Day 1: Best normal battle theme

Those Who Fight, but the best version is
*drools at Ishimoto's version of it* Other favorites would be
, and

Day 2: Best boss battle theme

. Never has a boss theme pumped me up more.

Day 3: Best world map/main theme

and any of the variations of the Crisis Core theme,
in particular.

Day 4: Best playable character theme

Day 5: Best villain (not final battle) theme

Since we can't do battle themes...
. It sets the mood perfectly.

Day 6: Best town theme

Way too many to name. My top four in no particular order are Under the Rotten Pizza, favorite version
, Anxious Heart, favorite version
, and
. Somehow, they all have something to do with towns Shin-Ra has messed with.

Day 7: Best incarnation of the Chocobo theme

FFVII has the most versions and my favorite is from there.

Day 8: Best victory fanfare

Day 9: Best emergency/action theme

Does this count as an action theme? Oh well, it sounds like one.

If it doesn't count next favoirte is

Day 10: Best normal dungeon theme

I don't know if this counts as a dungeon because the Mythril Mines are only four screens big.

is also a favorite.

Day 11: Best final dungeon theme

Day 12: Best specialty boss/recurring boss battle theme

J-E-N-O-V-A, favorite version is

I don't like the DoC soundtrack all that much, but oddly enough, I like all of the Tsivets' boss themes except for Shelk's:
, and

Day 13: Best final boss theme

: this was the only boss theme in FFVIII where my thought was "now we're getting serious"

And of course the cliched One-Winged Angel, favorite version is ACC's

Day 14: Saddest song

. You already know how Zack and Aerith's romance will play out and the whole scene is an allusion to a very similar scene in FFVII with Cloud.

Surprisingly
. I think it had to do with the fact that it was playing while Rinoa was saying she was okay with being frozen when it was obvious she didn't want to be frozen at all.

Day 15: Happiest and/or Silliest song

Not happy for you, but with a title like that? Silly Yuffie for stealing materia in the first place.

. When I heard this at the space station I cracked up; it reminded me of a scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Day 16: Most powerful song

. Very emotionally powerful. It's a theme often played when Zack is cluing in that Shin-Ra isn't all it claims to be. It's also the theme where Zack takes his last stand against Shin-Ra.

The Great Warrior didn't hit me as powerful in the game, but it's OCRemix sure did.

Day 17: Best obscure/overlooked song

. It's a shame such a pretty song ended up on the Before Crisis OST.

Also

Day 18: Best lyrical song

I never listen to J-Pop so I have no clue what is considered good/bad.
. Vocals accompanied only by strings and piano.

Day 19: Best staff roll (credits song)

[youtlube]3B-UN1rTZPw[/youtube]
*drools*

Day 20: Best airship theme

. The FFIX OST doesn't strike me as much as the FFVII soundtrack does, but it's airship theme is great!

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Behind again, blargh.

17. Best obscure/overlooked song

I've always felt Barret's Theme doesn't get nearly the credit it deserves.

It's so boisterous, so unapologetically in-your-face, it fits him perfectly.

18. Best lyrical song

As Aaron already mentioned, the Opera is naturally fantastic. Also love

19. Best staff roll (credits song)

19. Best staff roll.

No contest.

HOLY FUCK HOW HAVE I NEVER HEARD THIS BEFORE I THOUGHT I HAD THE ENTIRE SOUNDTRACK BUT APPARENTLY NOT ASFOJASIODJFOADF SO GOOD.

Seriously this made my fucking day. *puts it on repeat and listens to it forever*

20. Best airship theme

IX's Hilde Garde, fo sho.

21. Best game over theme

This isn't technically a game over theme, but it does play when you lose.

I love how it's a sadpanda version of the Victory Fanfare, as if it's mocking you for your slowass Chocobo driving.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V

I like this because of the quote of the Prelude towards the end.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah, and VII's goes right into the prelude; interesting. I remember I used to stare at FFIX's game over screen trying to figure out just what the hell it was a picture of :monster:

I liked during the Wutai thing that it plays the opening of the Game Over theme when Don Corneo prepares to feed you a sob story :P

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
22. Best "area" theme (not dungeons, not towns)

I'm listing one each from each of the games I've played, otherwise this could go on for awhile. Devil's Lab and You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet probably could qualify as dungeon themes and Troian Beauty probably could qualify as a town theme, but, y'know, whatever. I forgot them for the appropriate day so I'm listing them here.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Day 21: Best game over theme

. This has an "oops, my bad" feeling to it and the graphic pokes fun at the fact you're playing a game.

Ghost X

Area theme, I really did like the already mentioned Terra's theme from FFIX a lot. Then I got bored of it. I imagine FFX and FFXII would be good for area themes, since that's all that exists between towns and dungeons, but nothing sticks out in my memory. So I shall stick with Terra. That and I'm in a hurry, so can't do research =p.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Day 21: Best Game over theme, I'm not going to post it because it just got posted 2 posts above by Obsidian Fire but yeah, the FFVII game over theme is my favourite also the beginning of it plays when you face of against Don Corneo in Wutai and it really adds comedy to the scene and him in general.

Day 22: Best Area theme
Yeah I won't post this one either because again its already been posted but Terra from FFIX is a beautiful track.

Love this song, its a beautiful piece of music I think its part of the reason going through the Zanarkand area is my favourite.

Very Sweet theme :)

Theres something very mysterious about this theme

Thats all I can think of that I really like, I'm sure there's tons of others but these are my top favourites :)

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Best area theme -

Gargan motherfucking Roo. Might technically be a dungeon but idgaf

Also, If You Open Your Heart, which IIRC is from the railroad area before Corel.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Woops! Put up the wrong Youtube video for Day 9: Best emergency/action theme
First Mission

Day 21: Best area theme

Sandy Exile Place. It fits the area so well. Favorite version: A Life Without Parole

Turks' Theme, 'cause it always plays in whatever area the Turks are.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Gargan Roo is definitely a dungeon you cheater :rage:
;)

Well, I'm amazed no one's said it yet, but my favorite area theme is,

I admit I always thought its placement was kinda weird. This wild expanse on the map, it works, I guess, especially when that snake-charmer melody comes in at 0:36. But that drum beat seems tailor made for a marching army. Always thought it would fit better as an army moving out or something.
Regardless, it's still an awesome song.

Runner-up: I can't remember if someone has posted this elsewhere or not,

This song has great atmosphere. You're wandering through Edge on a rainy night and it is completely empty except for some sharpshooters on the roofs. Silent Edge captures the feeling of slinking between buildings really well. I like this song a lot.

Last edited:

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
Totally forgot about The Veldt, that's definitely a favourite.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
23. Best ending theme

Once again, any other answer is objectively wrong. No other game had the foresight to incorporate every character's theme in the ending to represent their role in the plot, and it was a brilliant decision; the character medley works brilliantly. The rest of the piece is fairly superb as well; it has one of the best renditions of "Final Fantasy" up to that point.

That said, some runners up:

ForceStealer

Double Growth

I gotta give it to this. Not too many video games have given me a legitimate lump in my throat. :monster:

Day 17: Best Obscure, Overlooked Song

It's not the first time I gushed about this song, and it won't be the last. I played Tetra Master just to the hear this song way more than I probably would have otherwise (and I even liked the game, I still mean that).

Day 18: Best Lyrical Song

I actually didn't think of the opera at first...for whatever reason. I was first thinking of all the pop songs. Most of which I don't like much. But of those my favorite would be

The only of them to get stuck in my head (mostly due to the "whoa-oh"s). And it blows Calling out of the water :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
24. Favorite Miscellaneous track.

I love this song. I actually learned this one on guitar and its just as much fun to play as it is to listen to. I also loved the sword fighting game that went along with it and always keep a save file near to it.
Chocobo Hot & Cold tried its hardest to ruin this song but was unsuccessful :monster:

Runner-up:

So cool, so suave, yet a little intimidating. And the way an extra instrument keeps getting added on until it's a multilayered swagger track of coolness.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Force already mentioned two of the ones I would've mentioned. A few more:

I probably should've listed this one under silliest alongside "??" and its cousin.

That's a fair kickoff selection I think. I'll probably edit like ten more songs onto this post later.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Three more.

I guess this is supposed to be Vincent's theme but I honestly didn't pick that up at all when I played the game. In fact I wouldn't even have known it was if several YouTube videos hadn't labelled it as such. It's creeeeeeeeeeepy. Which it's obviously intended to be.

And I don't know how I forgot this one, which is pretty much one of my favourite FF tracks ever:

I honestly can't remember how this track is used in the game because it's been so long since I played it. It may have been the disc four world map theme, in which case I should have mentioned it a lot earlier. In any case, it's an amazing, often overlooked composition (so overlooked I didn't even think of it for the "underrated tracks" day, or for that matter for the "saddest tracks" day, which it probably also could have been listed for). It's one of the most despairing pieces in the game, although during the middle section it briefly provides a glimpse of hope. Which makes sense, since if I'm not mistaken the game seems pretty desperate at this point.

This is used as a dungeon theme, but more importantly it serves as the Espers' theme throughout Final Fantasy VI. It fits perfectly. It's mysterious (being written in 7/8 time probably helps, as does the odd harmonic structure) and gives the hint of centuries of unresolved conflict that are threatening to bubble to the surface again. In just about any other game, this would be a highlight of the soundtrack; because it's a Final Fantasy VI track, however, it's just yet another of many stellar pieces in the game.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
23. Best ending theme

It's probably already been said before, but The Planet's Crisis.

24. Favorite miscellaneous tracks

Lots of these. In no particular order:

Truth Behind the Project
. Two violins, a cello and a piano = Awesome fight music.

Words Drowned by Fireworks
. Favorite version: Daydreaming Again

Beyond the Wasteland (ACC Version) *drools*

Return to the Subject. One of the few DoC songs that sounds like is from the FFVII world.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
25. Best orchestral arrangement

Gonna have to go with the

the
and the

With an honourable mention to the
Pointless trivia: The Japanese name for the opening theme of FFVI is "Omen".

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Missed 3 days now, ah well :monster:

Day 23:Best ending theme.

Final Fantasy X, I won't post it though cause I've already done so before.

and this :) It's not FFIX's actual ending/credit roll theme but it does play during then ending FMV which is more what I'm going for with this category.

Nice little touch of Bittersweet Romance song mixed into it.

Day 24: Favourite misc. track

Many

This track is beautiful and mysterious and at the same time it doesn't overly fit into any category because although Doga and Unei have a big enough role in FF3 they are sadly, pretty forgettable.

Its such a small track but really beautiful and just helps gives the sense of Garnet's renewed hope.

Plays during the loading screen of FFIX, great little piece.

Love the song, hate the game, the song's what keeps me going when I'm losing that godforsaken card game.

Very reminiscent of old 18/1900s silent movie music, love it :D

Couldn't find a suitable category to place it in but its my favourite FFXIII song.

[youtube=BTl_LwXWEMQ[/youtube]
Kind of sad sounding but with a sense of resolve.

Technically Kain's theme but it only comes up a couple of times, really like this theme though.

Day 25:Best orchestral arrangement
[/youtube]4-_XANMleDc[/youtube]

Probably my most favourite

That's it from me for this :monster:

Terrafig

AKA
KaleMarsh
I missed quite a few.

17. Obscure/overlooked

"Town," Final Fantasy

The influences of the Final Fantasy soundtrack on Final Fantasy IX's is very obvious here.

18. Best lyrical song

"Melodies of Life." For reasons that have already been said (the others aren't very good).

19. Best Staff Roll

I usually can't be asked to care about these, but I really like the Crisis Core one Force posted. So many goodies rolled into a track.

20. Best airship theme

Hilda Garde. I'm a bit surprised by the number of answers I'm giving that come from Final Fantasy IX's OST.

21. Best game over theme

Final Fantasy III's added insult to injury.

That said, Final Fantasy I's is actually good. Tragic flaw time! You died because you can't play worth shit.

22. Best "area" theme

Turks and Veldt are both better, but I have a soft spot for "Farm Boy"

23. Ending theme

Final Fantasy VI.

24. Miscellaneous

"On That Day, Five Years Ago" is Final Fantasy VII's theme in my head.

I already mentioned "Hunter's Chance" for something else, and Tyrion posted it again. Thanks!

25. Orchestral Arrangements

I'm not brushed up enough on these to pick a favorite, but I've been enjoying what everyone's posted.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
25. Best Orchestral Arrangement

I never really even took note of this song until it was on Distant Worlds, now I love it.

This is an excellent, mood-setting piece. I could never figure out if it was referencing a song from FF7 or not but it blends into the scene in the movie so well, that I was surprised how nice it is to listen to otherwise

Also also, Shining, I agree, Archylte Steppe is a great song.

Top Bottom