Avatar: The Last Airbender & Korra (SPOILERS)

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Not sure if this is a implied confirmation of an April 2013 release date or not...but it does confirm that April Stewart (probably most well known for doing a lot of the adult female characters on South Park) has a role in Book 2:
tumblr_m8xrmySxBR1rtziedo1_1280.png

Lex

Administrator
OMG so just watched all of Korra today and I LOVE IT. It's a very different feel from ATLA so I'm not sure how I feel about comparing them, but Korra feels a bit more "mature" in many ways.

Actually got shivers at the end of that last episode there, wow. Quite surprised a show like this had that effect on me. Brilliant. I want more. I almost wish I hadn't watched it.

Is there a reason there are only 12 episodes? Seems a little strange since ATLA had more per season.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
OMG so just watched all of Korra today and I LOVE IT. It's a very different feel from ATLA so I'm not sure how I feel about comparing them, but Korra feels a bit more "mature" in many ways.

Actually got shivers at the end of that last episode there, wow. Quite surprised a show like this had that effect on me. Brilliant. I want more. I almost wish I hadn't watched it.

Is there a reason there are only 12 episodes? Seems a little strange since ATLA had more per season.

I believe it was a combination of Nickelodeon only giving Bryke (the creators) 12 episodes initially (it would have just been a 12 episode miniseries if it had not gotten extended and then renewed) and Bryke themselves preferring the shorter season format for LOK so they could have tighter story-lines without filler episodes (although judging by some fan reaction, a lot of people miss filler episodes) and so each season would be more standalone compared to ATLA.

Lex

Administrator
Ah I see! I had been wondering because it does feel very "wrapped up" at the end of the season. I wonder where it could go from here? I suppose she still has to master Airbending but I wonder whether they'll create a longer arc for the remaining seasons or just stick with a story per "book".

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Ah I see! I had been wondering because it does feel very "wrapped up" at the end of the season. I wonder where it could go from here? I suppose she still has to master Airbending but I wonder whether they'll create a longer arc for the remaining seasons or just stick with a story per "book".
Well Book 2 is called Spirits and it starts 6 months after Book 1 dealing with Spirit World shenanigans and the origin of the Avatar and bending itself. Mako is a cop in Republic City, Asami is rebuilding Future Industries, Bolin is now Captian of the Fire Ferrets due to Mako and Korra quitting because of their other responsibilities and hanging with his Water Tribe friend Verick while also "finding himself". We are going to see more of Bumi, Kya (Tenzin's sister), Korra's parents, and introduced to Korra's uncle (who is the Northern Water Tribe chieftain) and her two fraternal twin cousins. You should be able to find the Book 2 character/setting designs and more details by searching through the interwebs (or search back further in this thread).

And I think each Book is still going to be pretty standalone, this is what Bryan Konietzko said about the Book breakdowns a while ago on his tumblr.
Initially, Nickelodeon picked up Korra as a 12-episode miniseries. Their idea was to do 12-episode arcs that were more standalone than the original Avatar series. Mike and I were cool with this idea, as we had originally wanted the seasons to be 12 episodes long instead of 20, and creatively we liked the idea of doing tighter story arcs.

The original plan was that if Nickelodeon wanted more episodes, they would order them 12 episodes at a time. But while we were in production on Book 1, Nickelodeon decided to change their season lengths from 20 episodes (like Avatar had) to the more standardized international length of 26 episodes. They liked how Book 1 was coming out and decided to round out the order to fit their new 26-episode mold, and we got a 14-episode pick-up, which became Book 2.

Then, the network wanted even more Korra, so they picked up another order of 26 episodes. Mike and I wanted to stick with the shorter “books,” so creatively we are splitting the second order of 26 into Books 3 & 4, 13 episodes each.

What makes this even more confusing is that the network considers each block of 26 episodes a “season,” which is another reason we try to stick to calling these Korra arcs “books.” So for the network’s purposes, Books 1 & 2 are Season 1, and Books 3 & 4 are Season 2.

Lex

Administrator
Doesn't a season generally run over... a TV season though? This is what's confusing me also. Essentially we're waiting another year for half a season (can you tell I'm impatient and want moar XD).

So Book 2 is next year, awesome. Then I'm assuming it'll be another year for Book 3, but maybe they'll be able to complete "Season 2" so that Book 3 and 4 are in the same run? I'm hoping, at least.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Doesn't a season generally run over... a TV season though? This is what's confusing me also. Essentially we're waiting another year for half a season (can you tell I'm impatient and want moar XD).

So Book 2 is next year, awesome. Then I'm assuming it'll be another year for Book 3, but maybe they'll be able to complete "Season 2" so that Book 3 and 4 are in the same run? I'm hoping, at least.

There are only two seasons in terms of the mechanics of how Nickelodeon orders series seasons; story wise there are 4 seasons/books and it will likely take at least 4 years (total) to complete (heck Book 3 of A:TLA had a 7-8 month gap between episodes 11 and 12).

Lex

Administrator
Cool, cheers for explaining that. I'm almost regretting having watched it now XD, should have waited four years!

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Cool, cheers for explaining that. I'm almost regretting having watched it now XD, should have waited four years!

Yeah I can sympathize, this also be my first experience actually having to wait for a show to come out with a new season. I did not actual get into A:TLA until after the series had ended, and most shows I watch are usually ones that have already finished as well.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Bryan Konietzko clears up Legend of Korra animated film rumors/confusion.

NO KORRA MOVIE IN THE WORKS AT THIS TIME
I just wanted to clear up this rumor, since friends and colleagues keep asking us if it is true. The origin was an article in Variety where the journalist speculated about “possible Nickelodeon products that could be turned into films” including our show, and a lot of other online news outlets ran with it thinking it was a scoop.

Mike and I do have a good relationship with the execs at Paramount, and we would love to write/direct an animated Korra feature film sometime, but let me just repeat that there is nothing in development on that, with or without us, at this time. Even if there were, I don’t know when or how we’d do it! There’s still the business of these remaining 40 episodes of the TV show we are making. But hopefully one day, not too far in the future, Mike and I will be able to announce otherwise.

In the meantime, someone get crackin’ on some fan animation of Mako doing a couple of these moves. K, thanks.

Basically what I think most rational people had the idea of already, nothing in the works at the moment but Viacom would likely potentially view the series as a viable film product for the future.

Last edited:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
And we'll probably get trolled again and learned nothing. We'll probably know this time.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Yep, you can read it here. Fair warning, Aang and Katara call each other sweetie every 5 seconds and it's extremely annoying at least for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom