Avatar: The Last Airbender & Korra (SPOILERS)

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
But he hasn't inherited Avatar Roku's legacy in any way except for his genes and it still the whole damn reason Iroh's bringing it up, so I don't think that logic really works. What he means by legacies shouldn't be two completely different takes on the word used in the same breath, I just don't think that's what we were suppose to take from that scene.

And upbringing is one thing, responsibility is another. The throne is no longer his heritage (something that's pretty damn central to his motivations these past four seasons by the way), it's not his job anymore to fix Sozin's mistakes anymore then it is the job any other Fire Nation citizen.

And really I don't think it's that bad for people in setting like this to still place stock in bloodlines, without it being viewed as something negative that needs to be corrected.

Anyway, I actually have read it now and I doubt Ursa was even saying that he was Ikem's son. Zuko and Ozai were just reading to much into it.

As for the rest of the chapter, it's a lot better then the Promise, though Zuko is still portrayed as an inept puss in combat as he has been. The escalation of Azula's condition I can deal with, I like that Ozai and Azulon at least showed he had the capacity to put a kind of face early on (very early on). Not thrilled that the idea for Duo swords and the masks was taken from Zuko and handed to Ikem, but I guess that's unavoidable with prequels and origin stories.
While
Zuko's legacy with Avatar Roku is mostly genealogical (the way Ursa raised Zuko is another less significant form of his legaciy IMO) and Iroh is giving significance to Zuko's genetic heritage, he is not however, stating that Zuko's genes are what control/determine Zuko's struggle with good and evil (that would essentially be robbing Zuko ability to determine his own destiny). Also Zuko's legacies are slightly unequal in meaning as Zuko was always raised with knowledge that he was Sozin's legacy, Sozin had more than just a genetic impact on Zuko. Also Sozin and the title of Firelord is still Zuko's heritage genetic connection or not as heritage is more than one's genetic history. So, yes, if the reveal ends up remaining true (which I doubt) some significance of Iroh's speech is lost but by no means all or most of it IMO. And the core of Zuko's character arc still remains either way, that Zuko made the internal choice to do good not because he was compelled by his genetic connections.
And how is Zuko being portrayed as inept inept in combat in the comic?

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
While
Zuko's legacy with Avatar Roku is mostly genealogical (the way Ursa raised Zuko is another less significant form of his legaciy IMO) and Iroh is giving significance to Zuko's genetic heritage, he is not however, stating that Zuko's genes are what control/determine Zuko's struggle with good and evil (that would essentially be robbing Zuko ability to determine his own destiny). Also Zuko's legacies are slightly unequal in meaning as Zuko was always raised with knowledge that he was Sozin's legacy, Sozin had more than just a genetic impact on Zuko. Also Sozin and the title of Firelord is still Zuko's heritage genetic connection or not as heritage is more than one's genetic history. So, yes, if the reveal ends up remaining true (which I doubt) some significance of Iroh's speech is lost but by no means all or most of it IMO. And the core of Zuko's character arc still remains either way, that Zuko made the internal choice to do good not because he was compelled by his genetic connections.
And how is Zuko being portrayed as inept inept in combat in the comic?

I'm not in any way suggesting that Iroh says Zuko's genes control Zuko's destiny. But he IS saying that Zuko's legacy as both the grandson of Sozin and Roku is what sets him apart as the one who can restore what was set wrong. Unlike Iroh himself, who was also raised with Sozin's ideals.

With this he's wouldn't be even in the rightful line of succession at all. If he stays in Firelord now, it would probably still be because would be the only that can set things right, but now it would be that all the actual blooddescendants of Sozin can't set things right while someone that doesn't have his blood can.

And while Zuko still struggled with his destiny and everything, that still sets a wrong precedent.

And I'm talking about how Zuko is shown to be of no help against Silver wolf or butterflies at all, he lets Azula escape three times whereas Katara and Aang pretty much flick their fingers and Azula is immeadietaly captured in a block of ice or rock. Maybe the writer just has an easier time portraying ice and rock as cheap moves and pays greater attention to Azula being useful cause otherwise we wouldn't get anywhere with her character but it kinda leaves Zuko and Sokka out.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I'm not in any way suggesting that Iroh says Zuko's genes control Zuko's destiny. But he IS saying that Zuko's legacy as both the grandson of Sozin and Roku is what sets him apart as the one who can restore what was set wrong. Unlike Iroh himself, who was also raised with Sozin's ideals.

With this he's wouldn't be even in the rightful line of succession at all. If he stays in Firelord now, it would probably still be because would be the only that can set things right, but now it would be that all the actual blooddescendants of Sozin can't set things right while someone that doesn't have his blood can.

And while Zuko still struggled with his destiny and everything, that still sets a wrong precedent.

And I'm talking about how Zuko is shown to be of no help against Silver wolf or butterflies at all, he lets Azula escape three times whereas Katara and Aang pretty much flick their fingers and Azula is immeadietaly captured in a block of ice or rock. Maybe the writer just has an easier time portraying ice and rock as cheap moves and pays greater attention to Azula being useful cause otherwise we wouldn't get anywhere with her character but it kinda leaves Zuko and Sokka out.
While it is
true that Sozin's family line would no longer be redeemed genetically (if the revelation stays true), it is still significant that the family line was redeemed by a member of the family. That is still a legitimate form of redemption IMO (unless one wants to imply that children/descendants who are adopted and/or step-children can't uphold/redeem a family name just as legitimately as a genetically child/descendant related can, which I really disagree with).

Zuko was no more or less helpful against the spirit wolf than Sokka, Katara, and Aang were, I don't see how that makes him uniquely inept. Katara and Aang are the ones who recapture Azula more often because water and earth are not as potentially deadly as fire is and can be used more easily to restrain a person without hurting them. Zuko is deliberately trying to be gentle more caring with Azula than before so it makes sense that he would not try to encase her something like a cage of fire (which is implicitly much more threatening than being restrained but ice and/or earth is).

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
While it is
true that Sozin's family line would no longer be redeemed genetically (if the revelation stays true), it is still significant that the family line was redeemed by a member of the family. That is still a legitimate form of redemption IMO (unless one wants to imply that children/descendants who are adopted and/or step-children can't uphold/redeem a family name just as legitimately as a genetically child/descendant related can, which I really disagree with).

Zuko was no more or less helpful against the spirit wolf than Sokka, Katara, and Aang were, I don't see how that makes him uniquely inept. Katara and Aang are the ones who recapture Azula more often because water and earth are not as potentially deadly as fire is and can be used more easily to restrain a person without hurting them. Zuko is deliberately trying to be gentle more caring with Azula than before so it makes sense that he would not try to encase her something like a cage of fire (which is implicitly much more threatening than being restrained but ice and/or earth is).

Well, Iroh cared who Zuko genetically descended from. Zuko and Ozai seemed to care as well. The servant obviously seemed to feel it was more then just an superficial difference, since she felt it required Ozai's immeadiate attention.

If people in Avatarverse for some indiscernible reason place stock in bloodrelations, which I feel is implied then what Iroh said is effected too. I feel it's very strange if Zuko secretly being descended from Avatar Roku is a big revelation and says something about his place in the world but Zuko not at all being descended from Fire Lord Sozin doesn't say anything at all.

We have seen Firebenders show methods of nonlethally capturing enemies in the past. In fact attempts to do so make a good percentage of the caroon. Zuko shouldn't be wholesale clueless on how to do so. And if he feels Azula needs coddling then I wonder if he has been paying the least bit of attention his entire life.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Well, Iroh cared who Zuko genetically descended from. Zuko and Ozai seemed to care as well. The servant obviously seemed to feel it was more then just an superficial difference, since she felt it required Ozai's immeadiate attention.

If people in Avatarverse for some indiscernible reason place stock in bloodrelations, which I feel is implied then what Iroh said is effected too. I feel it's very strange if Zuko secretly being descended from Avatar Roku is a big revelation and says something about his place in the world but Zuko not at all being descended from Fire Lord Sozin doesn't say anything at all.

We have seen Firebenders show methods of nonlethally capturing enemies in the past. In fact attempts to do so make a good percentage of the caroon. Zuko shouldn't be wholesale clueless on how to do so. And if he feels Azula needs coddling then I wonder if he has been paying the least bit of attention his entire life.
Oh,
I don't deny that the reveal will likely have large ramifications in-universe, which we will likely see in comic. My point was I don't think the reveal (if true) "ruins" Zuko's character arc in the show.
I reread the comic, Azula only escapes twice in the comic. The first time from her straightjacket and Zuko does give chase to her, it just happens to be a chase that ends up being resolved with Zuko making his deal with Azula and Azula does have to be restrained again. The second time Azula jumps off Appa and forces Aang to catch her (no one else can fly) and Azula is able to burn a hole in his glider and runs off. Zuko catches up to her and both are prepared to begin fighting each other until the rest of the Gaang shows up and Katara ices up some restraints on Azula, which is the logical thing to do as it is basically the Avatar-verse equivalent of tying someone up with ropes. Firebending cannot make the equivalent of binding ropes that does not continuously burn the prisoner. Zuko mostly avoids combat in the comic and when he does enter it with the spirit wolf he fairs just as bad/good as Katara and Sokka do. I really do not see how Zuko has been inept in the comic.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Oh,
I don't deny that the reveal will likely have large ramifications in-universe, which we will likely see in comic. My point was I don't think the reveal (if true) "ruins" Zuko's character arc in the show.
I reread the comic, Azula only escapes twice in the comic. The first time from her straightjacket and Zuko does give chase to her, it just happens to be a chase that ends up being resolved with Zuko making his deal with Azula and Azula does have to be restrained again. The second time Azula jumps off Appa and forces Aang to catch her (no one else can fly) and Azula is able to burn a hole in his glider and runs off. Zuko catches up to her and both are prepared to begin fighting each other until the rest of the Gaang shows up and Katara ices up some restraints on Azula, which is the logical thing to do as it is basically the Avatar-verse equivalent of tying someone up with ropes. Firebending cannot make the equivalent of binding ropes that does not continuously burn the prisoner. Zuko mostly avoids combat in the comic and when he does enter it with the spirit wolf he fairs just as bad/good as Katara and Sokka do. I really do not see how Zuko has been inept in the comic.

I never said it ruins Zuko's whole character arc. I was talking about how it ruins what Iroh was saying, unless you're being extremely selective about when whose blood you are matters. That is a fairly contained issue though, that doesn't effect much.

But sure, there's an argument for it straight up ruining his whole character arc too. Zuko feeling entitled to being the heir to throne has driven him throughout the whole story. He talks about it in Season 1, Season 2, he passionately proclaims it at his lowest point in Zuko Alone, his character arc in Season 2 was all about accepting the lot he and Iroh had and making the best of it in spite of what their status should be. Even when he had betrayed the Fire Nation for a good and was working to bring down the Fire Lord he STILL saw himself as the crownprince when introducing himself in the Firebending Masters.
Zuko's character arc was always about doing the right thing in spite of him being the prince of Fire Nation, in spite of what his family is like. Given that, I feel even touching on doing anything to lessen his connection to said family, is a bad idea.

But as you say, Katara and Aang actually get to show their aptitude in quickly neutralising the very dangerous Azula, them all save Azula striking out in battle against spirits means only Zuko is left with nothing but failings. And I reread the book again too. Azula escapes the straightjacket, lightnings Zuko and does NOT have to be restrained again until the Gaang comes along she again lightnings someone and this time Aang and Katara quickly intervene. The second time she jumps of while Zuko is trying to talk to her, not the others.

On the ground Zuko tells them to leave Azula to her, he then confronts her admits he can't do a thing and Katara tells him to get out of the way so she can oneshot Azula harmlessly.

Then Zuko is the one that takes her bindings of again, so when she escapes next time, we'll know it was facilitated by Zuko again.

And yeah, fire is dangerous. Was Zuko then therefore trying to kill his opponent everytime he used Firebending in the past? No. We've seen the Firebenders display methods of nonlethally capturing people without having to go to other benders for help in the past.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I never said it ruins Zuko's whole character arc. I was talking about how it ruins what Iroh was saying, unless you're being extremely selective about when whose blood you are matters. That is a fairly contained issue though, that doesn't effect much.

But sure, there's an argument for it straight up ruining his whole character arc too. Zuko feeling entitled to being the heir to throne has driven him throughout the whole story. He talks about it in Season 1, Season 2, he passionately proclaims it at his lowest point in Zuko Alone, his character arc in Season 2 was all about accepting the lot he and Iroh had and making the best of it in spite of what their status should be. Even when he had betrayed the Fire Nation for a good and was working to bring down the Fire Lord he STILL saw himself as the crownprince when introducing himself in the Firebending Masters.
Zuko's character arc was always about doing the right thing in spite of him being the prince of Fire Nation, in spite of what his family is like. Given that, I feel even touching on doing anything to lessen his connection to said family, is a bad idea.
I'll
concede that the reveal does take away from Iroh's speech (but not completely, as Zuko is still a legacy of Sozin's through nurture). But I still very much disagree that it ruins his character arc. All the struggles that Zukp went that you mention from the show are still legitimate (and Zuko was/is the crownprince, blood relation or not) because he went through those trials with the mindset that he was relinquishing/defying his blood heritage and since the importance of a blood relation is mostly societal/mental, Zuko's rejection of his father is just as difficult whether or not he may have been secretly not related to Ozai genetically.

But as you say, Katara and Aang actually get to show their aptitude in quickly neutralising the very dangerous Azula, them all save Azula striking out in battle against spirits means only Zuko is left with nothing but failings. And I reread the book again too. Azula escapes the straightjacket, lightnings Zuko and does NOT have to be restrained again until the Gaang comes along she again lightnings someone and this time Aang and Katara quickly intervene. The second time she jumps of while Zuko is trying to talk to her, not the others.

On the ground Zuko tells them to leave Azula to her, he then confronts her admits he can't do a thing and Katara tells him to get out of the way so she can oneshot Azula harmlessly.

Then Zuko is the one that takes her bindings of again, so when she escapes next time, we'll know it was facilitated by Zuko again.

And yeah, fire is dangerous. Was Zuko then therefore trying to kill his opponent everytime he used Firebending in the past? No. We've seen the Firebenders display methods of nonlethally capturing people without having to go to other benders for help in the past.
The reason that Azula was not restrained after escaping her straight jacket is because that was the deal that she and Zuko made in order to try to find Ursa. That is not really a failing/combat ineptness IMO since Zuko is not trying to engage anyone in combat. Same with Azula jumping off Appa, just because Zuko was the last one communicating with her does not make her jumping off Appa his failing.
And when he confronted her by the stream he said that he did not want to fight her, not that he can't, there is a difference. Zuko lets Katara bind Azula not because he couldn't but because ice is a more stable binding/restraining material than fire is, once it takes its form it doesn't require the bender to actively maintain its shape to keep the person bound, unlike a fire cage or something would (and a fire cage is still far more risky to a person than being restrained with ice even if firebender is very skilled). That is not ineptness IMO.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04...ray-and-dvd-release-date-and-cover-art-reveal
http://korranation.tumblr.com/post/47557275517/book-1-on-dvd-blu-ray-is-available-for
The Legend of Korra Book One: Air - Exclusive Blu-Ray and DVD Release Date and Cover Art Reveal
Nickelodeon's first-ever TV series Blu-ray release includes exclusive special features.
by Eric Goldman APRIL 9, 2013

The Legend of Korra made its big debut last year on Nickelodeon and IGN can now reveal details on the Book One DVD and Blu-Ray for the popular follow up series to Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Fans will be able to pick up The Legend of Korra Book One: Air on July 16th, 2013, which collects all twelve episodes of the series so far.

The Legend of Korra will mark the first TV series Nickelodeon has ever released on Blu-ray, and the Blu-ray will contain exclusive special features, including:

Audio Commentaries from series creators, cast and crew for all 12 episodes.
Series creators' Favorite Scenes: Eight Animatics
While there will be select audio commentaries on the DVD, the Blu-ray will be the only release to have commentaries on every single episode. There will also be an additional special feature that is available on both the DVD and Blu-ray:

The Legend of Puppetbender Present “The Making of a Legend: The Untold Story” (original short)
“The Making of a Legend: The Untold Story” short features a comical look at the Korra characters, in puppet form, as they're interviewed about their adventures.

Fans can pre-order The Legend of Korra Book One: Air now at the following link - http://j.mp/KorraBook1.

IGN also has the debut of the cover art for the DVD and Blu-ray releases, which you can check out below.
KorraBluRayCover.jpg

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Asumi? :monster:

I think Asami's character design was deliberately made for her to look like a femme fatale/dark action girl so it would be more surprising when it was revealed she was good.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Asumi looks like a villain :P

Asami.

Asumi? :monster:

I think Asami's character design was deliberately made for her to look like a femme fatale/dark action girl so it would be more surprising when it was revealed she was good.

And yeah it is not that surprising she slightly villainous, her design is inspired by inspired by 1940's Golden Age Hollywood film actresses (with her hair specifically based on Rita Hayworth) and those type of actress often portrayed femme fatale types of characters*.

*http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/25409026851/sorry-guys-i-wish-i-had-something-more

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
That girl screaming was fucking annoying. God it has been over a year release Book 2 already.

The Legend of Korra facebook page mentioned them working on Book 3 already, so I guess they are working on Book 2 and 3 back to back? Maybe that's why this is taking over a year? I'm just speculating.

942463_659252274091369_1886733080_n.jpg

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
The Legend of Korra facebook page mentioned them working on Book 3 already, so I guess they are working on Book 2 and 3 back to back? Maybe that's why this is taking over a year? I'm just speculating.

942463_659252274091369_1886733080_n.jpg

Actually Bryan Konietzko stated that Books 2, 3, and 4 are all being worked on simultaneously at different stages. http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/50462033888/for-some-reason-this-tight-rough-for-the-second
Also Book 2's production did not start immediately, like 3 and 4's did, it did not begin until Book 1 was basically completely done with its post-production. All of which contribute to the longer wait.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
original.jpg

So The Search Part 2 was released in the iTunes Bookstore today (for some reason even before its release in brick-and-motar comic shops) so if anyone wants continue reading whats going with the search for Ursa they should take a gander at the new release.

If anyone is interested in reading reviews this guy gives good reviews. It has a spoiler free review first and one containing spoilers second.
http://avatarthelastairbenderonline.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-the-search-part-2-review/

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Another sneak peek. SQUEEEEE

1043885_683114875038442_845839708_n.jpg

That screenshot created a big stir on tumblr, some people were convinced that Aang and Katara's kids had been whitewashed and none them shared Katara's skin tone. Bryan Konietzko made entire post explaining how no they were not whitewashed and that any "lightness" was a result of photo quality and color contrast/theory.
http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/54495619739/this-past-friday-i-published-this-post-which

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Man, those guys must hate the internet. The fans are freaking relentless.

Anyway, the more Tenzin the better. He was easily the best of the new characters. (I know everyone loves Lin, sorry.)

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Man, those guys must hate the internet. The fans are freaking relentless.

Anyway, the more Tenzin the better. He was easily the best of the new characters. (I know everyone loves Lin, sorry.)

They actually have pretty positive relationship with the online fandom all things considered, they reblog fan art quite frequently, but even they can be frustrated occasionally by irrationality/paranoia of the interwebs (tumblr specifically) at time.

So I just read The Search - Part Two.

I have a crazy theory.

Noren's wife, Noriko, is Ursa but with amnesia and a new face.

Noren is hiding something. He claims that nobody has seen Ursa since she was taken to the capital, yet in the flashback we see that Noren met Ursa and invited her for breakfast. Noren and Noriko met late in life, which fits well with Ursa's arrival.
Folks say that he ran off to Forgetful Valley.

The heartbroken go there to forget their lives.

I vaguely remember hearing that Ursa came back to town
years later, looking for Ikem. They say she went after him
to Forgetful Valley. -Noriko

So that's my bet. Ursa went to the Forgetful Valley, spoke to the Mother of Faces so that she could forget and gain a new life, which is when she turned into Noriko. A shred of Ursa's old life remained and is now what haunts Azula.

Maybe I'm silly for feeling clever here.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
That's a very interesting theory Shademp, I could definitely see that being true.

Season 2 poster revealed:

tumblr_mpuelcoq9X1rptk5lo1_1280.jpg

Source

Top Bottom