Avatar: The Last Airbender & Korra (SPOILERS)

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Mako and Bolin come from bending parents, one was a firebender the other an earthbender that's why Mako and Bolin have different bending. Another example would be Aang and Katara who had 3 children, one non bender (Bumi), one waterbender (Kya) and one airbender (Tenzin).

Excuse me? Bumi is an AWESOMEbender. Yeah, he bends AWESOME. I said it.

no it didnt. instead of butting into a conversation when i dont even like you, how about you prove it!

Asami introduced and established as now dating Mako- episodes 3 and 4.
Kiss- Midway through episode 5, during a conversation that is, in part, about Mako dating Asami.
QED.

you all just want me to suck avatar korras dick and i refuse u_u

O...Kay?
Whatever you've been shooting, smoking, snorting, freebasing or absorbing through your mucous membranes, I recommend you attempt to quit.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
omg this guy

i dont care about QED or your strange creepy weird attempt at humor

Y'know that message I said about not doing the drugs you're doing? That. Again. But slower this time so maybe you understand.
By the by, can I take you complete failure to respond to the actual facts of the matter regarding Asami and Mako's relationship predating the kiss in episode 5 as a concession of the matter, or do you want to continue down the merry little road of fail you're on?

Just point and laugh, it'll all be over soon I'm sure :monster:

But I don't get to have as much fun if I end it quickly.

Demona

Dominique Destine
AKA
Sizheng
you all just want me to suck avatar korras dick and i refuse u_u

I don't. I want it all to myself. Keep yer blasphemous mouth away from it.

MOVING BACK ON TOPIC what're the conjectures for Season 2? Has this thread covered it already and has my giving up on reading more than five pages back before I started posting a big'ol fail on my part?

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I don't. I want it all to myself. Keep yer blasphemous mouth away from it.

MOVING BACK ON TOPIC what're the conjectures for Season 2? Has this thread covered it already and has my giving up on reading more than five pages back before I started posting a big'ol fail on my part?

Well one conjecture that I personally had that I don't think was brought up yet in the thread was that perhaps (if you saw the animatics trailer) the person from the South Pole that might help Asami out with Future Industries could possibly be Bolin's friend Verick (the Water Tribe guy designed after Howard Hughes) since while Korra is from the Southern Water Tribe she is not a business savy person.
Other speculation has been that Korra's uncle Unarock (spelling?), who is stated to be one of Korra's spiritual mentors for Book 2, and his twin son and daughter (who's designs are pretty creepy/depressing looking) might be or be related to the Book 2 antagonist (or whatever is up with the Spirit World).

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
"Making Of A Legend" Bryke commentary for episodes 6 and 7:
Episode 6

Episode 7

Very interesting to learn that early on in development of Asami's character they considered making Asami an Equalist and had the idea of Korra somehow ending up training with Equalists somehow.
"Making Of A Legend" Bryke commentary for episodes 8, 9, 10, and 11.

Episode 8:

Episode 9:

Episode 10:

Episode 11:

EDIT: Will post an Episode 12 commentary later, when I can find one.

I like how Bryke commented on their use of romance and fans' reactions, basically they said: “We don’t do this to torture you. It’s realistic stuff and we think it is an interesting story."
Interesting that one of the reasons why Lin's and Tenzin's relationship did not work out was that apparently Tenzin wanted a family but Lin did not have a desire to have one.

Last edited:
Z

Zealkin

YES headcanon validated! Lin doesn't look like she's much good with kids sans how she handled Meelo :P
But Tenzin needed to continue his race so that of course would have been a huge issue :/

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Theozilla said:
We don’t do this to torture you. It’s realistic stuff and we think it is an interesting story.

I lol'd. The feedback from fans should be a pretty good indicator on how realistic and interesting it came off as.

Zealkin said:
But Tenzin needed to continue his race so that of course would have been a huge issue :/

The thing is having children with Lin wasn't going to guarantee his race to continue either. For all we know all their children could have turn out to be earthbenders. Also Tenzin is crazy I would've married Lin in a second.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
are you literally 12 years old, this post isnt humorous its just depressing. i totally concede to your overwhelming knowledge of the avatar universe. i wish i cared enough to be sad about somebody taking my silly postings up the butthole!

Yes, my overwhelming knowledge of simple chronological order. Stiles, you betray yourself, partly because I can see you deleted three messages before this one, partly because I know what you deleted in those three messages, but mostly because you started this whole tiff by accusing me of 'butting in when [you] don't like [me],' and telling me to prove the correction. Which I did.

Very obviously, you care. This is merely your sour grapes.

Oh, and child, about the deleted nonsense, don't flatter yourself.

I laughed. After pointing, of course.

The pointing is important.

I lol'd. The feedback from fans should be a pretty good indicator on how realistic and interesting it came off as.

The thing is having children with Lin wasn't going to guarantee his race to continue either. For all we know all their children could have turn out to be earthbenders. Also Tenzin is crazy I would've married Lin in a second.

Well, he would have, except for the stupid anti-bigamy laws.
And no one mention the anti-pimping laws. That gets Tenzin Bending Aang quite upset.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Do we know for sure there are anti-bigamy laws in the Avatar-verse? Or is it just anti-bigamy laws on Nickelodeon?

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Well they said it was interesting to them (also they recorded this commentary before the first episode even aired).
I personally think the love triangle was done pretty realistically, (I personally partially think part of the reason why it is such a Base Breaker is because it was realistic, love is messy in real life and people's feelings get hurt)

Tenzin having children with any woman is not a guarantee that there will be future Airbenders, the point still stands that part of the dissolution of their relationship was that Tenzin wanted kids but Lin did not have a desire to.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
tumblr_m7i0tv1KIK1r5ngkjo1_500.jpg

This is adorable.:D

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Theozilla said:
Well they said it was interesting to them (also they recorded this commentary before the first episode even aired).
I personally think the love triangle was done pretty realistically, (I personally partially think part of the reason why it is such a Base Breaker is because it was realistic, love is messy in real life and people's feelings get hurt)

Realistic for a teenage romance perhaps yes but that doesn't make it any less unwatchable. That they thought it was interesting to them makes me think that they either don't have slightest clue of what an interesting romance in a story is or they don't know how to portray one, hint it ain't this and it ain't Kataang either.

Theozilla said:
Tenzin having children with any woman is not a guarantee that there will be future Airbenders, the point still stands that part of the dissolution of their relationship was that Tenzin wanted kids but Lin did not have a desire to.

Yes but with a nonbender I think its more likely to happen.

Z

Zealkin

Realistic for a teenage romance perhaps yes but that doesn't make it any less unwatchable. That they thought it was interesting to them makes me think that they either don't have slightest clue of what an interesting romance in a story is or they don't know how to portray one, hint it ain't this and it ain't Kataang either.

I didn't like Kataang that much either, but it's rare that i like the in your face couples that much for ANY series I watch so meh.

spirituality and genetics in the series is pretty iffy, even the creators aren't too sure about it themselves. But he could have easily had nonbending children too with a non spiritual nonbender, i think pema was originally an air acolyte, correct me if im wrong. Acolytes trained to be spiritual so that maybe one day their children could be an airbender even if they couldn't. A lot of it is based on spirituality with a mix mash of genetics. I think since Pema herself was an air acolyte at one point and was spiritual is the reason why she was able to have so many airbending children.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Eh, part of the reason why I found the romance to be interesting is precisely because they portrayed the teenage romance/relationships realistically, and they did not let it impede on the team remaining good friends (like Bryke said in the episode 8 commentary). But again, there is no need to discuss this further, we both know each other's opinions on the romantic subplot and lets jus leave it at that.

Like Zeaklin said Bryke has always been very vague on the importance of spirituality and genetics in relation to bending inheritance (e.g. Katara being a Waterbender but neither of her parents were benders). I don't think Pema being a non-bender made it more likely that she would have Airbender children, I think Bryke said before that the cultural environment the parent is from and the one child grows up in influences whether they are bender and what type they are. I think Bryke stated the primary reason why every single Air Nomad was an Airbender (there were no non-bender Air Nomads apparently) was because their culture was extremely spiritual. Pema being an Air Acolyte I think is what made her very "bountiful" in Airbender children.

Demona

Dominique Destine
AKA
Sizheng
I find it fascinating that this would be the case. So, would you agree that the science of the world suggest that chi-channels are malleable and subject to developmental influences even with the womb? I'm going to midichlorian it and bring in chi or chakra because having suggested genetic inheritance we are already (in my mind) destroying the mysticism of it all and now I want to figure out Why It Is So.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I find it fascinating that this would be the case. So, would you agree that the science of the world suggest that chi-channels are malleable and subject to developmental influences even with the womb? I'm going to midichlorian it and bring in chi or chakra because having suggested genetic inheritance we are already (in my mind) destroying the mysticism of it all and now I want to figure out Why It Is So.
i'd say it's more like how wizard parents can have non-wizard children or non-wizard parents can have wizard children. granted, it's a lot simpler in hp, but you can still have the same thing.

but on the other hand it makes it confusing as to why people thought equalizing benders was a legit idea if non-bending parents can have bending children and things like that

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
http://bill-rinaldi.tumblr.com/post...e-who-hasnt-seen-someone-has-posted-the-whole
Cool tidbit from Bill Rinaldi:
For anyone who hasnt seen someone has posted the WHOLE Korra SDCC panel on Youtube!

part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

GO WATCH AND ENJOY THY DAY!

For those who still haven’t seen it. And like I said before in this panel they say the name of Korra’s Male cousin. So I wasn’t crazy.

But they don’t show any of the visuals because they were not allowed to film the screens there.

So Unalaq's son is apparently named Desna (the spelling is not 100% known) and the girl's name is still unrevealed. (interesting name meaning tidbit, Desna is the name of a river that runs in Russia and Ukraine, the word means ‘right hand’ in Old Slavic. Since they are twins, it would make sense for their names to mean right hand and left hand).

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer

Lex

Administrator
I recently watched ATLA from start to finish and I absolutely loved it. So sad to see the last episode :(. Is there any more to it or was it just the 3 "books"?

I'll have to watch Korra now.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I recently watched ATLA from start to finish and I absolutely loved it. So sad to see the last episode :(. Is there any more to it or was it just the 3 "books"?

I'll have to watch Korra now.

There are the comics.

And 'Book 4.'

Top Bottom