Avatar: The Last Airbender & Korra (SPOILERS)

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Nope, it's

mine.gif

Lex

Administrator
Ah Carlie thank you so much for posting that link, just when I was literally at a loss for something to do/unable to sleep when I should be. Looking forward to learning about Zuko's mother in March.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Tenny and Force - Now kids there's no need to fight, you can share the birthday, now go eat some ice cream or something. :monster:

Also everyone except Suki is oddly gung-ho about killing Zuko.

Yeah, it's not really OCC from Katara though.

YW Lex. :monster:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Some interesting mixed-bag news:
tumblr_mhkstkEGqj1r892d5o1_1280.png

http://bill-rinaldi.tumblr.com/post/42300129630/atla-annotated-viva011-korraskorner#notes
Apparently there might be a Book 2 trailer at Anime Matsuri Con on March 29, however, Bill Rinaldi Martial Arts Coordinator/ Videographer/ Production Coordinator/ Doorman of the show isn't quite sure that the source is verifiable.

...but the con's YouTube channel posted this video that seems legit (I am pretty sure that is Janet Varney on the phone in the video).

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Some interesting relevant news:
http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/02/07/legend-of-korra-art-book/
'Legend Of Korra' Art Book On The Way From Dark Horse In July
Posted 4 hours ago by Charles Webb in Animation, Dark Horse, News, TV

The hardcover "The Legend of Korra: The Art of the Animated Series—Book One: Air" will out July 24 from Dark Horse, featuring commentary from the show's creators.

In spite of feeling a little short (and focusing a tad too much of the Pro Bending League), "The Legend of Korra" was a worthy followup to three excellent seasons of "Avatar: The Last Airbender." In July, Dark Horse has partnered with Nickelodeon to release a 184-page hardcover featuring the art of the series.

From the official synopsis:

THE LEGEND OF KORRA: THE ART OF THE ANIMATED SERIES BOOK ONE-AIR HC

Michael Dante DiMartino (W) and Bryan Konietzko (W/Cover)

On sale July 24
FC, 184 pages
$34.99
HC, 9" x 12"

This handsome hardcover contains hundreds of pieces of never-before-seen artwork created during the development of Season 1 of The Legend of Korra. With captions from Mike and Bryan throughout, this is an intimate look inside the creative process that brought the mystical world of bending and a new generation of heroes to life!

Captions by creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko!
Follow-up to smash hit animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender!
Never-before-seen artwork!
The first season of "The Legend of Korra" will be available on DVD May 21.
legend-of-korra-art-book.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5982230/return-to-the-airbender-universe-with-two-new-comics-projects
AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER-THE SEARCH PART TWO TP

Gene Luen Yang (W), Michael Dante DiMartino (W), Bryan Konietzko (W), and Gurihiru (A/Cover)

On sale July 10
FC, 80 pages
$10.99
TP, 6" x 9"

In search of their long-lost mother, Fire Lord Zuko and his deadly and insane sister Azula have brought Avatar Aang and his friends into a mysterious forest, but what they discover within may be more than they can face. Will they too be lost in these woods forever?

• Perfect companion to Legend of Korra!

• The official continuation of Airbender from its creators.
original.jpg

Last edited:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Very interesting indeed, can't wait to learn more about the Dark Spirit and her younger version though I think that the traumatic event is that her parents were killed by fire benders because that's what happens to everyone on the show or so they claim. :monster:

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
I wonder if Bolin will have more of the spotlight shone on him because he defiantly needs it.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
Damn you Carlie, you got me addicted to this show and I have watched it all day long. I'm going to bed after this episode. Even though I said it 2 episodes to go.

Also I love Katara xD

Vulmen

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Hah; fancy that...I used to be admin over at the Avatar Wiki, and just discovered here as I love Final Fantasy 7 (listened to some 'On the Way to a Smile' audiobooks... Great stuff! Didn't even know it existed). Strong Katara fan here as well Marcus ;)

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
230px-Avatar_The_Last_Airbender_The_Search_Part_1_cover.png

Well Part 1 of The Search came out in comic shops today (it will come out in bookstores on April 2) and as usual the ATLA fandom (specifically the ones on tumblr) are blowing up. As for me, I think it is very good and I think it is a stronger part 1 of its trilogy than The Promise's Part 1 was (which I also quite liked, again unlike a lot of ATLA fans; it wasn't the greatest thing ever but IMO it was a good comic). The Search is shaping up to be a great comic IMO. This reviewer gives a good and fair review IMO.
http://avatarthelastairbenderonline.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-the-search-part-1-review/
The first part of the review is spoiler free, the second part does have spoilers.
As for the big twist/cliffhanger at the end
Zuko reads a letter her believes to be from his mother to her former lover, named Ikem, form before she married Ozai. Based on the contents of the letter, Zuko interprets it as Ikem his actual biological father.

Now some people are somewhat understandably overreacting to this reveal, as fans tend to do, but to quote from the aforementioned reviewer's tumblr*
based on
what Ursa’s letter to Ikem says, it could refer to her and Ikem, but at the same time could also mean Ozai.
“My one consolation is our son Zuko. When I look into his eyes, it’s as if I’m looking into yours.”
Zuko certainly took it as Ikem is his father.
If it is Ikem as Zuko’s father it is not that bad. Zuko has never met Ikem and so was never influenced by him in his life. Ozai has been Zuko’s father and Iroh has been his Uncle. This reveal does not change those relationships really. Iroh is not suddenly going to cut ties with Zuko over this. He was still raised by a descendant of Sozin and one of Roku. He had the influences of both sides regardless of Ikem being his biological father.
Also there are 2 more books to go in this series, there is obviously more to this reveal. Also Zuko remained Fire Lord and his daughter is Fire Lord in Korra. So something happens where Zuko keeps the throne.
And in regards to
what happens with regards to the letter.
Ursa does write a letter, she gives it to a servant that she trusts, but the servant gives it to Ozai while Ursa believes it has been sent to Hira’a. He has a bad reaction to the letter.
Ozai tells Azula to go to one of his hidden hiding spots in the palace to get this letter, she carries the letter around with her and when she is sleeping Zuko reads it.
So it could have been altered, it is not 100% confirmed in the book that the letter Ursa writes is the letter Zuko reads.
But that is the way the book presents it.
Now I do think that the reveal is likely going to later turn out to be a false reveal in the later books; but even if does turn out to be true it is not really a problem IMO. It does not invalidate Zuko's struggles in the show or Azula's villainy, Zuko's lineages were really only symbolically representative of his internal conflict, the primary causation of them though was how he was nurtured and raised not his genes (having a younger sibling who is adopted, I do feel that society often gives to much weight to the significance of someone's genealogy in the nature vs. nature debate). Likewise, Azula's villainy was primarily caused by her nurture and teachings from Ozai and her inferiority superiority complex in relation to Zuko's and Ursa's relationship.

*Link:http://airspeedprime.tumblr.com

Last edited:

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I'm very intrigued with what happened in Part 1, I might actually buy The Search if I can find it for free online that is.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
230px-Avatar_The_Last_Airbender_The_Search_Part_1_cover.png

Well Part 1 of The Search came out in comic shops today (it will come out in bookstores on April 2) and as usual the ATLA fandom (specifically the ones on tumblr) are blowing up. As for me, I think it is very good and I think it is a stronger part 1 of its trilogy than The Promise's Part 1 was (which I also quite liked, again unlike a lot of ATLA fans; it wasn't the greatest thing ever but IMO it was a good comic). The Search is shaping up to be a great comic IMO. This reviewer gives a good and fair review IMO.
http://avatarthelastairbenderonline.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-the-search-part-1-review/
The first part of the review is spoiler free, the second part does have spoilers.
As for the big twist/cliffhanger at the end
Zuko reads a letter her believes to be from his mother to her former lover, named Ikem, form before she married Ozai. Based on the contents of the letter, Zuko interprets it as Ikem his actual biological father.

Now some people are somewhat understandably overreacting to this reveal, as fans tend to do, but to quote from the aforementioned reviewer's tumblr*
based on
And in regards to

Now I do think that the reveal is likely going to later turn out to be a false reveal in the later books; but even if does turn out to be true it is not really a problem IMO. It does not invalidate Zuko's struggles in the show or Azula's villainy, Zuko's lineages were really only symbolically representative of his internal conflict, the primary causation of them though was how he was nurtured and raised not his genes (having a younger sibling who is adopted, I do feel that society often gives to much weight to the significance of someone's genealogy in the nature vs. nature debate). Likewise, Azula's villainy was primarily caused by her nurture and teachings from Ozai and her inferiority superiority complex in relation to Zuko's and Ursa's relationship.

*Link:http://airspeedprime.tumblr.com

Okay, i haven't read this yet but I gotta say I completely disagree with you on that Zuko's bloodlineage is irrelevant. What was the meaning of Zuko being the one who can save the Fire Nation because he was descended from the Avatar Roku and Fire Lord Sozin if who he was actually descended from doesn't mean anything?

If you believes this doesn't change anything then in equal measure you must believe Iroh's story is irrevelant too.

Besides it's not just Zuko this effects, Ozai was designed to look exactly like an untarnished older Zuko. They were obviously intended to be bloodrelated.

Though i agree Zuko will probably still turn out to be Ozai's son, I strongly disagree that it doesn't mean anything if he doesn't.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Okay, i haven't read this yet but I gotta say I completely disagree with you on that Zuko's bloodlineage is irrelevant. What was the meaning of Zuko being the one who can save the Fire Nation because he was descended from the Avatar Roku and Fire Lord Sozin if who he was actually descended from doesn't mean anything?

If you believes this doesn't change anything then in equal measure you must believe Iroh's story is irrevelant too.

Besides it's not just Zuko this effects, Ozai was designed to look exactly like an untarnished older Zuko. They were obviously intended to be bloodrelated.

Though i agree Zuko will probably still turn out to be Ozai's son, I strongly disagree that it doesn't mean anything if he doesn't.

Well,
I did not say his bloodlineage is completely irrelevant, rather it was mostly symbolic (and as you said character design indicative). Zuko's arc was rejecting his father but with or without the reveal it still includes rejecting a blood bond. As a "blood bond" is mostly a societal idea/construction (aside from perhaps pheromone bonding at birth but that is never really considered in ATLA or most shows) and because in the show Zuko was only aware of Ozai as his biological father, Zuko still went through the struggle of rejecting his biological parent. Zuko did not struggle with his "evil" side because of his genealogy but because of how he was raised. Iroh did not say that Zuko's genes are what cause him to struggle with good and evil (which would essentially be absolving Zuko of the responsibility of his decisions, which Iroh did not say), but rather how his legacy is indicative of Zuko's own internal struggle and the ability to resolve them. Even if Zuko does not have a genealogical connection to Sozin, he still bears the legacy of being raised with Firelord Sozin's ideals.

That being said, I do agree that reveal is likely going to turn out be false by the end.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Well,
I did not say his bloodlineage is completely irrelevant, rather it was mostly symbolic (and as you said character design indicative). Zuko's arc was rejecting his father but with or without the reveal it still includes rejecting a blood bond. As a "blood bond" is mostly a societal idea/construction (aside from perhaps pheromone bonding at birth but that is never really considered in ATLA or most shows) and because in the show Zuko was only aware of Ozai as his biological father, Zuko still went through the struggle of rejecting his biological parent. Zuko did not struggle with his "evil" side because of his genealogy but because of how he was raised. Iroh did not say that Zuko's genes are what cause him to struggle with good and evil (which would essentially be absolving Zuko of the responsibility of his decisions, which Iroh did not say), but rather how his legacy is indicative of Zuko's own internal struggle and the ability to resolve them. Even if Zuko does not have a genealogical connection to Sozin, he still bears the legacy of being raised with Firelord Sozin's ideals.

That being said, I do agree that reveal is likely going to turn out be false by the end.

Iroh's dialogue actually does say "you struggle because you are this and that," as I recall but yeah bloodbonds are a societal idea. One that is present in Avatar considering they are led by monarchies.

People in Avatar place stock in it, and so Zuko and those around him would too concerning him not being related to Ozai at all. And that just seems like an odd and unneccesary turn for his atonement and redemption to take.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Iroh's dialogue actually does say "you struggle because you are this and that," as I recall but yeah bloodbonds are a societal idea. One that is present in Avatar considering they are led by monarchies.

People in Avatar place stock in it, and so Zuko and those around him would too concerning him not being related to Ozai at all. And that just seems like an odd and unneccesary turn for his atonement and redemption to take.
This is
what Iroh actually says in the episode
Because understanding the struggle between your two great-grandfathers can help you better understand the battle within yourself. [Zuko sits down, with his head facing down.] Evil and good are always at war inside you, Zuko. It is your nature, your legacy. But, there is a bright side. [Zuko looks up.] What happened generations ago can be resolved now, by you. Because of your legacy, you alone can cleanse the sins of our family and the Fire Nation. Born in you, along with all the strife, is the power to restore balance to the world.
Iroh (at least IMO) is not literally saying that Zuko's struggle is because of his mixed genes but the conflict of his heritage/legacy is significant in understanding his own inner conflict. Even if Zuko was not genetically related to Sozin (which I doubt will actually happen in the end) he still bore the burden of the legacy of Firelord Sozin through his upbringing. The revelation (true or false) it will definitely change his state of mind at the present, which the comic will likely explore. But it does not change the fact that Zuko went through real genuine struggle in his past.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
This is
what Iroh actually says in the episode Iroh (at least IMO) is not literally saying that Zuko's struggle is because of his mixed genes but the conflict of his heritage/legacy is significant in understanding his own inner conflict. Even if Zuko was not genetically related to Sozin (which I doubt will actually happen in the end) he still bore the burden of the legacy of Firelord Sozin through his upbringing. The revelation (true or false) it will definitely change his state of mind at the present, which the comic will likely explore. But it does not change the fact that Zuko went through real genuine struggle in his past.

But he hasn't inherited Avatar Roku's legacy in any way except for his genes and it still the whole damn reason Iroh's bringing it up, so I don't think that logic really works. What he means by legacies shouldn't be two completely different takes on the word used in the same breath, I just don't think that's what we were suppose to take from that scene.

And upbringing is one thing, responsibility is another. The throne is no longer his heritage (something that's pretty damn central to his motivations these past four seasons by the way), it's not his job anymore to fix Sozin's mistakes anymore then it is the job any other Fire Nation citizen.

And really I don't think it's that bad for people in setting like this to still place stock in bloodlines, without it being viewed as something negative that needs to be corrected.

Anyway, I actually have read it now and I doubt Ursa was even saying that he was Ikem's son. Zuko and Ozai were just reading to much into it.

As for the rest of the chapter, it's a lot better then the Promise, though Zuko is still portrayed as an inept puss in combat as he has been. The escalation of Azula's condition I can deal with, I like that Ozai and Azulon at least showed he had the capacity to put a kind of face early on (very early on). Not thrilled that the idea for Duo swords and the masks was taken from Zuko and handed to Ikem, but I guess that's unavoidable with prequels and origin stories.

Top Bottom