Buffyverse Discussion (Spoilers)

Lex

Administrator
Here's how I see it:

Since we know widescreen versions exist, release a HD remastered blu-ray - digitally removing the goofs (it has been done - star trek and x-files are examples and they're great apparently), set in widescreen and add an option to literally just put black bars over the sides of the screen for the so-called purists. Everybody's happy. I don't see a problem here, literally no one would have a reason to complain if they did it right with the filters and shit (i.e. not what they've done in that video, jeebus).

Seriously though, yes, my shiny. It's literally hard to see shit on some episodes because it doesn't look good at all on modern TV's.

Lex

Administrator
Does anyone know if there are Buffy boards out there somewhere that have been around since the late nineties? I know there was a forum called "The Bronze" back then (I had 56k on AOL and was maybe 11 years old) when season 6 was airing, but I really really would like to go back and see the initial reaction from people to certain episodes.

The wayback machine would help me view sites that aren't there anymore, but I need actual URL's to use it.

Lex

Administrator
I clocked that one but I'm super unclear on their format. Is that literally just like a wall of messages? Like they don't seem to have discussion topics or anything.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Just finished season 3, quite dreading watching season 4. I think I need like a month or so break from it before I can endure it. However, I'm really looking forward to watching "Hush" again. :awesome:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Here are links to watch Buffy and Angel. They're completely legit, as I've been watching them and playing games at the same time. You just have to wait about 20 seconds for the Buffy ones to load up (as a free user of that particular service) and then they stream.

Just wanted to share in case anyone doesn't have the boxsets, Netflix or wants a good trip down nostalgia lane. :D

Lex

Administrator
Guys the same dude who did that last video I posted is doing an episode by episode review and it's AWESOME. Go watch. Here's an example:

Lex

Administrator
Does anyone on this board have Hulu plus (must be American - Tres?)? If so... I either need you to trust me enough to let me log in to it and rip something, or rip it yourself in the highest quality possible and get it to me somehow.

The only platform in existence that carries Angel season 1 in widescreen is Hulu plus. I can't stress how important it is that I get my digital paws on it. All of Angel aside from season 1 is in widescreen elsewhere - I've got them, and I've got seasons 4-7 of Buffy in widescreen. If I can get season 1 of Angel I'll have it all (aside from Buffy pivot 1-3 but I'll be getting those soon).

I have tried everything but you need to register a card for the one week free trial and it requires a US zip code so I'm fucked. I can access the site and watch free episodes using a VPN even though I shouldn't be able to, I just can't get the whole season (some are plus only).

I know this is a big ask, but if someone isn't a subscriber and is feeling particularly loving you could create a free account and cancel it after a few days? Willing to give my Netflix login as a security exchange or something XD. PLEASE. I NEED WIDESCREEN AND I'M APPROACHING BUFFY SEASON 4.

I don't think I'd need more than a day but it would depend on whether I screen record or stream-rip, might need two or three.

EDIT: I really really can't get around it. There's apparently this thing you can do that should work where you take the 3 digits of your actual postcode - which is the 3 numerical digits it checks against the card, and add the last two dummy digits so that the 5 digits make a valid us location - which is the second check. When I do that I get a zip code somewhere in Ohio which should be fine and valid because the check should still work against my card but it's not letting me on ;-; DAMN YOU HULU

NEVER MIND ITS ALL ON AMAZON PRIME IN WIDESCREEN MWAHAHAHAHA IT WILL BE MINE

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I'm lucky in that my zip code is the same as one from the US so I have been Hulu Plus'ing since last year. :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Cheers for the link, Lex. I've just gone past the episode of Angel, in which we had the ghost in Cordelia's new apartment. It seems to be flowing a lot better and I like that I'm not constantly flicking between them after every single episode.

I'm just not ready for Doyle's death and I know it's coming. :(

Lex

Administrator
I'm rewatching Angel and I forgot how much I loved Drusilla's role in season 2. Particularly her antics with Darla. Also, she's kind of a weird character in that she's the only one that didn't end up having a massive role on either show, but kind of flitted between the two then faded away into obscurity. I'm off to research whether or not she appears in the comics :D.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I've gone past A New Man in Buffy and the one in Angel where Jeremy Renner appears. I was watching Hush yesterday and was still scared stiff of the Gentlemen. Holding my hands up here, there's not a lot of things in this universe that scare me. But I still get shivers to this day when thinking about the Gentlemen. Hush just gets better with each viewing.

Also, I can't wait to see Wesley transform from this geeky Watcher to the accomplished warrior he is later in the show. He's one of the few characters in Angel that goes through one hell of a journey imho.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Also, I can't wait to see Wesley transform from this geeky Watcher to the accomplished warrior he is later in the show. He's one of the few characters in Angel that goes through one hell of a journey imho.

Indeed.

"What happened to you, man?"
"I got my throat sliced and then all my friends abandoned me."

:(

Lex

Administrator
I agree about the one hell of a journey thing for sure, but
I can't help but resent Wesley every time I watch it. It felt like they were trying to do it in a kind of blameless way ("oh look this thing tells me Angel is going to do this so I won't risk it I'll just take the son off here and-oh shit ambush") but it's one of those ones where I facepalm every time I watch it. JUST FUCKING SIT DOWN AND TELL HIM WESLEY. And I think the fact that we're afflicted with "teen Connor" for a season and a half almost destroys Wesley's character for me, because I blame him for it XD. It's how kind of wonderful everything is with baby Connor and then we get saddled with a season and a half of that shit. I absolutely believe the show would have been a thousand times better if baby Connor either died, or never came back from Quor-toth. Holtz, Justine and Teen Connor, just no. Shit shit and shitter. Show ruining scumbags.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I think
I do agree about the whole thing with Wesley handing over Connor, but at the same time, I feel like his character seemed too perfect to that point (barring the fact he was such a hilariously bad Watcher in Buffy) and probably needed to make a huge mistake. It did change the show and while it would've been nice to see baby Connor for a while, I can see how it could get boring and why the showrunners decided to shake things up a bit.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Now on season 5 and watching Real Me. I like Dawn a lot more this time around. It's fascinating to watch the episodes when you're older and have a much more wider perspective. I just giggled so much at this following quote:

"She and Willow are both witches. They do spells and stuff, which is so much cooler than slaying. I told mom one time I wish they'd teach me some of the things they do together. And-and then she got really quiet and made me go upstairs."

I never thought of it in the way I did when between originally watching it and the last time. The episodes really do seem to age well and the humour never dies. :awesome:

Lex

Administrator

This guy's YouTube channel is phenomenal btw, he has a running review of every episode going and it's all good watching, so don't just stop with this video.

I left a comment on this one chastising him for not including "You're Welcome".

Lex

Administrator
TPN is back! He's up to episode 10 of season 3, I've just started watching again from here:

Lex

Administrator
That dude's channel seems to be a way for me to get my Buffy fix without actually sitting through every episode for the nth time :monster:

Top Bottom