Catch-all R.I.P. thrad

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings
I woke up this morning to the news that one of my favorite singers had passed away. Scott Weiland, former vocalist for Stone Temple Pilots (STP) and Velvet Revolver, was found dead in his tour bus last night. I have long held out hope that he was going to get clean and sober. I hope they don't find out this was drug related. Too young, passed away at the age of 48.

Story

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Just learned on the news that David Bowie's died.

Wow, pretty shocked and considering he's just released new music. RIP. :(

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Sad news, yet somehow not desperately sad. He accomplished so much in his life and his influence will live on. Also, I'm sure he was very happy to live to see the release of his latest album, which has been very well received. RIP.

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
I still can't quite believe it. I was expecting him to live for many years still, and part of me thinks that it's some kind of plan so that he can live the rest of his life quietly in some mansion or castle. Maybe the news will sink in after a few days.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I still can't quite believe it. I was expecting him to live for many years still, and part of me thinks that it's some kind of plan so that he can live the rest of his life quietly in some mansion or castle. Maybe the news will sink in after a few days.

Yeah for real. I always had this forever young image of him in my mind and to me he was rapidly approaching on Keith Richards levels of immortality. This one is so hard to believe =/

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
my big plan for today was to sit down and listen to blackstar but it has become a lot more solemn than i originally imagined

decided to pick up diamond dogs while i was out and the guy at the counter was like 'we'll be selling a lot of these today' (they were playing nothing but bowie over the speakers the whole time i was there and i guess it'll probably like that all day)

RedFFWolf

Donator
An all-round amazing talent. It was Labyrinth that first introduced me to Bowie, then a lot of his other artistry just followed from there.

Flint is spot on about the status of Bowie's departure. Cancer is a tragedy in itself (and apparently so little knew about his battle with it), but this guy had indeed achieved so much, and even releasing his album two days beforehand, on his birthday, was almost like his last stretch he knew about - and he certainly got to see it out.

It is not a case to mourn, but to commemorate. Mr. David Bowie, you are the definition of iconic - for even after death there is on doubt you will live on in so many different forms.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X

I don't think that anyone else's music has reached heights quite like this for me, and this cover is still my favourite tribute to him. R.I.P.

X :neo:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
vZChbbA.gif

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
If anyone is interested, the radio station I listen to is playing Bowie all day in chronological order. They've been going for like five hours now but I think they're going to keep going into the night. I do believe you can stream from anywhere.

And it's a publicly funded radio station so there are no commercials. :monster:

http://www.thecurrent.org/

12523154_10153128992451652_4518601514210396955_n.jpg

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
David Bowie was someone who affected everyone at some point in their life. Whether they listened to his music or watched the Labyrinth as a kid... everyone knows something he was in or something he did at some point in his life.

It's just a damn shame, but if I've seen a tweet that's sorta gone viral that says something to the effect of, "If you're feeling sad, just remember that the earth is over 4 billion years old and you existed during the same time as David Bowie."

Very powerful words.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
I can't say I've heard much of Bowie's music. For all I know, I may have heard one or two of his songs not knowing it was him. The only memory I had of listening to his music was my dad playing a Bowie album he had on vinyl on our stereo that was on its last legs, and young and naive me said, "that sounds like Axl Rose to me".

I learned about Bowie's passing in the Comments section of a Blabbermouth.net article involving Lemmy (who, like Bowie, also recently died of cancer just days after his birthday...I'm still kinda reeling from Lemmy's death to be honest). I didn't even know Bowie was sick, let alone the fact that he kept his cancer battle extremely private.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
^to youtube with you young sir!

Unless you've been living under a rock it's unlikely that you won't have heard any of his stuff, and you'll probably hear some of them and go 'oh yeah I know this one'

I kind of admire him for keeping the cancer private, these days when celebs feel the need to tweet their every fart. Looks like he knew for a long time and decided to let his music speak for him instead.

The first thing I saw him in was Labyrinth, which is utterly awesome ofc :monster: My dad used to be in a band - just a pub covers band so he used to play the tracks they we're doing in the car a lot, this was in the 80's so it was Modern Love and Let's Dance. (and I was very fortunate in that I never had to witness my dads band playing them because it would have been awful)

And then later someone gave me a random mix tape (which was mostly Pink Floyd) and Space Oddity was on it and, fuck that song freaked me out. I shan't ever be going into space because of that :lol:

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
Come to think of it, I do know one of his songs by name, and that's The Man Who Sold The World, a song I'm familiar with due to a cover done by Nirvana.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
RIP Alan Rickman, known for playing Hans Gruber in Die Hard, Severus Snape in the Harry Potter series, the Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, and many other roles on stage and screen. Like Bowie, he was also 69 years old.

Top Bottom