• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Death Stranding -A Hideo Kojima Game-

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Looks like he took as much as he could from Silent Hills insofar as his collaborative effort was concerned and did something totally new with it. I, for one, and VERY pleased to see that Norman Reedus is back in the middle of it all.

Also, it looks like there's some sort of mechanical cloning or something since he's got the stomach scar, and all the dead whales and such seem to also have the mechanical umbilicals that he does at the start before the kid disappears.

Either way, 100% on board for whatever sort of madness this is.

X :neo:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
It's so refreshing to see Kojima do something completely new that isn't Metal Gear and just be like "I don't even know what the fuck any of this is"

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
So Bizarre. Classic Kojima lol.

My prediction :

Norman Reedus was pregnant and the humanoids floating in the sky stole his baby before he was able to give birth :reptar:

Seriously though I wonder if it's gonna have an environmental message of some sort as the theme. Seemed like there was oil on his hands and around him and all the dead fish etc. seems like a classic save the environment/oceans ad.

Ghost X

I think I'm going to need internet sleuths to pull this trailer apart for me. On a superficial level, it doesn't do much for me, but knowing Kojima, it is probably 400 layers thick.

EDIT: Also, still Fuck Konami™, but I read a hilarious comment "What if Kojima needed Konami to tell him 'no'. Now he's unleashed and this is what we get?" We might be in for some crazy shit :awesome:.

Last edited:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Worst. Hangover. Ever.

But yeah, I'm intrigued.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
EDIT: Also, still Fuck Konami™, but I read a hilarious comment "What if Kojima needed Konami to tell him 'no'. Now he's unleashed and this is what we get?" We might be in for some crazy shit :awesome:.

It's happened before so it's possible.

Source : The Prequel Trilogy for Star Wars.

The original trilogy no one gave a shit and told George no a lot. Harrison Ford is even quoted as telling (paraphrasing kek) him

"George you can write this crap but no one should say it out loud"

The best movie in the original trilogy was also Empire and it had the least of Georges involvement as well. Well the prequel trilogy comes around and now George is funding everything personally and is surrounded by yes men :reptar:

TBF though even prior to the prequel trilogy George was just an idea man and you could easily pinpoint his weaknesses. The same can't really be said for Kojima , while long winded and definitely insane he doesn't suck :monster:

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
I think I'm going to need internet sleuths to pull this trailer apart for me. On a superficial level, it doesn't do much for me, but knowing Kojima, it is probably 400 layers thick.

I expect to see a frame-by-frame breakdown of the trailer within a week at most.

Gabriel said:
Norman Reedus was pregnant and the humanoids floating in the sky stole his baby before he was able to give birth

You jest but it would literally not surprise me at all if that was exactly right. I mean he did have a cross shaped scar on his abdomen. Maybe he had a SEA-section.

GET IT?

SEA-SECTION CORAL!

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
When I first watched it I thought it was like...they'd been on a boat and his wife was pregnant and then the boat had crashed and then he came to on the shore and saw his baby but somehow knew his wife didn't make it.

And then I was like.....why is he naked?! How come he's still wearing a watch? Aliens?

But I don't think anything I could come up with will be even close to the 'truth' I think these days dechipering game trailers is a game in itself :monster:

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I'll butcher it because half awake and stuff but I read a "reading way to into it" post about how it could be just Kojima venting.

The idea is that Reedus is Kojima and the baby is MGS/ PT and the scar is the wound Konami left on him when they decided to be massive dickheads :monster:

Yeah butchered but the post seemed alright when I first read it lol.

If it was any other developer I'd say yeah that's out there, but Kojima has a track record of venting via his games especially with MGS4.

Also worth noting the word Stranding actually is the phenomena of Whales beaching themselves on purpose to die. Which apparently has been happening a lot more lately. Seems to tie in pretty well with the beached ocean critters aesthetic in the trailer.

Ghost X

Yeah, the title is odd too. Is death being stranded? :P. Maybe the grim reaper is a whale, and you got to drag all the whales on the beach and find the right one before they kill your baby or something. Of course, points are deducted for causing whale species to become extinct. The floaty people in the sky are judgmental non-interventionist environmentalists that look down and shake their head. Each shake of their head deducts EP from your emotion bar.

Anyway, what did Kojima vent about in MGS4?

Is he gaming's Taylor Swift?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So, given a couple of the things coming from Norman Reedus & Hideo Kojima, while I think we're looking at a setting for this new title, I also think that we're looking at one big message of everything he went through up 'til now.

The shot of the beach is deliberately like the shot of the road from the P.T. reveal cutscene where we last saw his work, but we see something different. There's death everywhere.

Then we have handprints forming in the sand leading to Norman Reedus that get him up. He's covered in the grown handprints that lead him to this spot — lying in the sand, one handcuff still attached to him, and also linked via a mechanical umbilical cord linked to a tiny infant in the stages of development. He probably picks it up and holds it, anguishing and in pain before it vanishes in his hands, leaving nothing but stained black. (That's Hideo Kojima's work at Konami, being kept a prisoner, and having P.T. stolen out from under him before it could become anything)

He's confused, but then the same marks of the child who vanished touch him and lead him forward. He stands up and in addition to the necklace, (which likely represents his other games) we see the massive scar that this latest event has left on him. But then his look changes, and he's surveying what lies in front of him with a purpose. We see that there is death all around him, but he's left alive, and five figures floating in the sky watching him as the song's title, "I'll keep coming" is revealed. (This is him when Kojima Productions was founded and he joined Sony. He's back and he's now completely prepared to face what's here. This matches with the, "I'm back!" statement he gave in person before the reveal).

Then, now that all of that is done, we get the game title, which is apropos to the whole narrative he experienced: Death Stranding.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
@Ghost
Well Kojima was basically done with Metal Gear after MGS2 and had hoped it would be the last game he had to make in the series. It took a lot of poking and prodding to get him to do Snake Eater and he got motivation to make it by having it be a Prequel. He originally wanted it to be more in line with the space age The Fury was actually a hold over from that stage in development of the game before it became a cold war era game.

Anyway after Snake Eater he reaaaaally didn't want to do anymore MGS , but ofcourse they convinced him to anyway. In MGS4 we get to play as Solid Snake who is essentially to old for that crap but pushing forward because he has to and nobody else can. A lot of people feel that Solid Snake is very representative of Kojima during that time.

Also worth noting *Spoilers ahead* is The Phantom Pain's Snake is also pretty allegorical of Kojima as well you could see it as a story about someone pressured to live up to being someone they are not, while he struggles with the people he used to work with trying to tear him down and in spite of it trying to create something great.

Could easily be reading to much into it but Kojima is whacky and at times pretty heavy handed. With the troubled development of these games ever since the PS2 era it would be hard not to vent and have it influence them in some way.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
I quite liked the song there, but I'd also like to see the trailer without any music, just sfx, I think it would make it even moar creepy.

I looked up that Willam Blake poem

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

A Robin Redbreast in a Cage
Puts all Heaven in a Rage.
A dove house fill’d with doves and pigeons
Shudders Hell thro’ all its regions.
A Dog starv’d at his Master’s Gate
Predicts the ruin of the State.
A Horse misus’d upon the Road
Calls to Heaven for Human blood.
Each outcry of the hunted Hare
A fiber from the Brain does tear.

He who shall train the Horse to War
Shall never pass the Polar Bar.
The Beggar’s Dog and Widow’s Cat,
Feed them and thou wilt grow fat.
The Gnat that sings his Summer song
Poison gets from Slander’s tongue.
The poison of the Snake and Newt
Is the sweat of Envy’s Foot.

A truth that’s told with bad intent
Beats all the Lies you can invent.
It is right it should be so;
Man was made for Joy and Woe;
And when this we rightly know
Thro’ the World we safely go.

Every Night and every Morn
Some to Misery are Born.
Every Morn and every Night
Some are Born to sweet delight.
Some are Born to sweet delight,
Some are Born to Endless Night.

Fucked if I know.

Also, it was handcuffs not a watch. And what is that round his neck? Dogtags? Locks? Both?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Brief interview with Geoff Keighley. Predictably blunt questions, but a few interesting answers.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Apparently the Ludens character will not appear in this game either? When people were saying he looked like Reedus (the exposed eyes through the mask) I have to say I agree, but I haven't compared images or anything.

Kojima confirmed that in the interview I posted earlier.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Drawing no conclusions until I see the game. Teaser could just be just to mess with the audience.

But in his interview he specifically mentions that the elements from the trailer are related to the game he's making.

He's also famous for misleading trailers, though.

Yes, but this is also based on things that he's explicitly stated/confirmed about the game itself in the interview that I linked earlier with Geoff Keighley that took place immediately after the reveal trailer:

Brief interview with Geoff Keighley. Predictably blunt questions, but a few interesting answers.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Top Bottom