• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Death Stranding -A Hideo Kojima Game-

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
A prayer for X who now has to pay European prices for games

welcome to hell

I already ran into the issue of trying to buy a comic that's licensed differently, and I'm planning on sneaking around some of that with a VPN, but yeah. I appreciate your sympathies.

X :neo:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
veg48qhx4kb31.jpg

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
The more I watch it the more interested I'm in seeing how the game will be received by the so called "Kojima fans".

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Interested to see what additional context they get at the booth, and what things they're gonna show of the game at TGS since that hits more centrally into the story and the why, although I'm pretty tempted to just wait for the release at this point and go in knowing nothing else.

I figure that it's going to be seen as being the most Kojima thing in the history of Kojima games, and it'll be appreciated for that even though I don't think that the game itself will be something that is all that groundbreaking. I still think that what he's attempting to convey might be exceptionally (over)ambitious in the same sort of "nuclear disarmament message" way that he's done before dialed up to 11. Essentially I think that the game will be less prepared for people to treat it like a game, and more suited for people looking to explore it as conceptual storytelling in the format of a game, and it's likely that reviews and "kojima fans" will divide along that line accordingly.

X :neo:

rimavelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
rima
Spoilers for this game gonna be wild. Either gonna be so ridiculous we won't believe in them, or so weird they won't even make sense outside of the game.
Can't wait for the 2hr+ videos explaining what have I just played.

Foz

Rookie Adventurer
I still haven't got the slightest idea what the hell this game is about... and yet I cannot friggin' wait to play it!

SailorStarDust

Kept you waiting, huh?
AKA
SSD
Just to throw my 2 cents in here then I'll leave thread, lol. I absolutely loved Kojima's MGS games (even TPP though it had various issues), but I just can't get behind Death Stranding now matter how much I try. I don't know if it's the obvious celebrity faces are a visual turn-off, or what, but. I dunno, maybe it just means my time as a Kojima-fan since 2012 (when my fiance got me into the series, he loved it since '98 with MGS1) is over. I mean, I'm fine, too, with a Kojima-plot being crazy but Death Stranding seems nuts in a "weird for the sake of being weird/artsy" kind of way. Can't articulate it well, but it's different than MGS's brand of wacky, for sure.

For reference's sake, I know some Eastern MGS-fans were actually turned off with Peace Walker having famous talent involved (Tomokazu Sugita (Kyon himself) as Kaz, Nana Mizuki as Paz) and then in the West that happened once Kiefer Sutherland replaced David Hayter. Which...in a heavy plot spoiler-y way, you could see how that makes sense for both halves of MGSV, but....eeh.

I just keep wondering, "Is it only me?" with this, regarding the way I feel towards DS?

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
So, watched the big long gameplay demo.

It's basically MGSV with a much bigger open world sandbox, more robust traversal mechanics, and some survival elements.

Core gameplay loop is: get a mission, pick a loadout, work your way to your destination, encounter and scout stuff along the way (enemy bases to stealth through, minibosses to fight, side quests to complete, things to scavenge), manage your gear and health, and ultimately reach your destination.

In the process you'll encounter signs, paths, tools, packages, ladders, bridges, ropes, vehicles, etc. left behind by other players, and you can do the same. There's a like system built into the multiplayer, which allows you to upvote the things that other players have placed in the world.

The overarching flow of the game is traveling from the East Coast to the West Coast of America, connecting cities along the way to the Chiral Network, which is the network that links all players together. Areas that you don't have activated yet won't benefit from the multiplayer collaboration.

Ghost X

@SailorStarDust You needn't feel uncomfortable posting your critique. I'll argue against people who think otherwise :awesome:.

In regards to celebrities being used for the roles, I would agree that this makes me a bit curious as to whether Kojima has jumped the shark to some degree. What tends to happen though is that stars want to work with cool and talented folks, and Kojima is undeniably an unrivalled creative genius :P. As long as it hasn't gone to his head, the quality of his work shouldn't be affected. I'd be more concerned about whether he has past his prime (inb4: "MGS3!"). Given his most recent project was the PT demo, where he continues to demonstrate that he operates on another level to anyone else, I think we're safe :P.

I am all for weird/artsy things. I have a preference for such being justified though, in regards to at least wanting to have an inkling of an idea as to what I'm experiencing, rather than finishing a game and/or movie that was intentionally narratively lacking / incoherent... but I'll watch those too. All signs point toward this game having a narrative that is comprehendable however.

I think there has been sufficient levels of Kojima wackiness in the trailers also, so I'm not concerned there either.

Top Bottom