E3 2019 Full Trailer with TIFA!

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
This is a remake of FF7. It is not a remake of the Compilation. And until Nomura clarifies what he means about elements being let in, I'm not going to assume all of it is in because that isn't what he said.

You're right, it's not a remake of the Compilation. You're not gonna see plot threads regarding Genesis, Deepground, the Before Crisis Turks or any of those things in this game.

But that quote never mentioned their inclusion in the first place, so I don't know why you're even mentioning that.

Plot =/= setting. The settings from the Compilation mean, the scenario lore and story elements that line up with what's shown in FFVII's continuity. Continuity that was laid out by the Compilation.

You aren't gonna find CC plot lines in the Remake, however one can see here that Banora exists. That's a Compilation setting element. The Buster Sword design? That's a CC design element from the Compilation. Red Saucer enemies? Dirge of Cerberus. Mako Reactor enemy designs? Crisis Core. Attack depictions and weaponry on enemies like the Scorpion Sentinel? Crisis Core again. Sephiroth and the "Guardians of Fate?" That sounds like something straight from OTWTS "Lifestream Black."

The Remake of FFVII is not gonna shoehorn plot shit from the Compilation but it's not going out of it's way to rip itself from the established lore and setting that the Compilation built around VII either. Shinra and it's capabilities are included.

The fact we see Shinra weapons being this massive and deadly is totally something straight out of the Compilation's depiction of Shinra weaponry anyways. Air Buster straight up transforms into a weapon and flies around the battlefield. Scorpion Sentinel runs up walls and releases an EM force field.

As such, because this is a remake of FF7, I am only considering FF7. If information is further clarified, I will take it into consideration, but until then it stays out for me and if you can't respect that and still make your point with the OG alone, then drop the debate. I've asked you multiple times before to do so. You've chosen to make it personal by insulting me (flat earther? really?) instead.

Going by your misunderstanding of a setting element versus an actual plot line, I guess you may not have been just stubborn in holding your view, so that's my bad. I apologize. However, the point still remains that ignoring the Compilation entirely doesn't fit what that quote implied at all. Elements from the Compilation of FFVII will be included. They already have been. Assuming something relevant won't be included until otherwise doesn't really make sense.

And since you likely still won't drop it, I'm just gonna drop this debate with you instead. :mon:

Well how about this? We can make a bet and see who will be right. I bet you 5 bucks we'll see Shinra's forces utilize, be in possession of, or have the plot state they were in possession of summon materia in some form or fashion in the Remake. I'm already 3-0 regarding calling stuff like this, so I'm feelin' myself. :mon:

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
True, though I imagine that could easily just be that small-scale summon materia that call small monsters or mythical creatures might be around, but the world beating godlike ones are vanishingly rare. Potentially even one of a kind, even though I'm sure Mako will say Crisis Core disproves that, I would say that was more an obligation to include FF7 summons in an FF7 game than it is a definitive statement on the nature of summon materia. In either case though, what Ite said is what is most relevant in my opinion:

Materia is common. People with enough MP to use it? Less common.

Even if you CAN produce summon materia, why sell and distribute something that almost no one has the ability to use? Thus Scarlet could find Titan to be junk because no one in her army can use it anyway.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well, you can just blow up materia or use it as a battery, though.

Titan as an individual summon materia does not have the raw power of a Huge Materia.

Think about this.

The Huge Materia from Junon, the giant red materia that represents summon materia, is able to power the Sister Ray alone.

After disconnecting Sister Ray from Junon, it takes Mako Reactors to supply it enough power to fire. Normal materia doesn't come close to generating enough power.

It presumably doesn't take 8 entire reactors to fire it, since that was just to boost its power... But the fact one Huge Materia alone is enough to power a cannon which needs even 1 Mako reactor, speaks to how powerful Huge Materia is.

There are only a few summons in VII I would consider to be so powerful, they're on the level of a weapon of mass destruction. Like Type-0 levels of carnage.

Bahamut Retsu, Bahamut Tremor, Bahamut Zero, and the Knights of the Round. And the last two being significantly stronger than the other two. Zero comes from Huge Materia, and the KotR come from a massive block of naturally spawning materia that's crystallized over many, many years.

Summons are dangerous and powerful but Titan and her materia isnt going to obliterate an entire city by himself, or release enough power capable of powering a Mako cannon.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Even if you CAN produce summon materia, why sell and distribute something that almost no one has the ability to use? Thus Scarlet could find Titan to be junk because no one in her army can use it anyway.

Not the grunts, no, but I feel like just about every member of SOLDIER could, certainly the 1st and 2nd classes at least.

And I feel like if they could mass produce summons at will, they could also engineer weak summons (what they would do, I have no clue. Maybe to just distract enemies, I dunno) for the sake of money (I can imagine it now, Materia Pets). I'm increasingly convined with @The Twilight Mexican's take on it's rarity and how Shinra basically just checks to see what they got in the reactor and hope for the best.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Does Scarlet command SOLDIER? I thought she only had command of the army. Either way, if we did include Crisis Core stuff, that implies that SOLDIERs have an honor thing tied up in the use of Summons.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
I don't think she commands them no, but she outfits and equips the rest of the Shinra military, so I always figured she did the same for them to.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Well sure, that's interservice rivalry for you. If I were Shinra Infantry or SOLDIER, I'd roll my eyes at the Roboguards and techno-soldiers too, since Scarlet seems like the type who would rather just remove the human element and have it aaalllll be her creations alone.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Scarlet is their head of Weapons Development, the Materia they develop for military purposes certainly fall under that header. Her department was probably the one that created or distributed the Odin and Hades Materia, I don't what cause there is to believe she doesn't know what she is talking about with Titan.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Because the materia is rare. Because in the OG there is no evidence to suggest they actually willfully create the materia, even if by chance they do. After all, to fight sephiroth, they only have one summon materia to use? And we do not know why Odin is in the vault or how Hojo obtained it anyway.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
With all this in mind, on a lark I decided to look at the first definitive book on the original FFVII, the Ultimania Omega, to see what it says about materia.

Materia and Post-War Society

When Mako Energy condenses, it becomes materia. In places where the energy is
abundant, materia has formed naturally, but these are rare instances and it's
more practical for Shin-Ra to manufacture it by way of artificial production.

It is said that the knowledge of the Ancients is within materia. By bringing
out this knowledge [through contact with the materia], one can interact with
the Planet and even an ordinary person can gain the powers of the Ancients, as
it is the condensed [spiritual energy which contains their] knowledge that is
implemented as a link [to the Planet]......This allows for the presentation of
abilities [associated with the Materia.]

Materia is mostly used for combat purposes, as they hold power that far
exceeds that of traditional weaponry. As a weapons development company, the
Shin-Ra commercialized materia as a battlefield investment, having previously
invested in a line of SOLDIERs, and quickly brought a transcontinental war
that had lasted for several years to a close. Monopolozing the production of
materia, Shin-Ra quickly began to take the lead in postwar society. Although
peace then began to settle across the world, the Shin-Ra were establishing a
desptoic order, as the people became increasingly dependent on mako, which has
brought us to the present day.

So once again, there is no reason whatsoever to assume or believe Scarlet or anyone knowledgeable within Shinra are somehow ignorant or unaware of materia's potency, power or capabilities, including summon materia. Shinra makes materia, have been making materia for years and in fact hold a monopoly on it. They're 100% "in-the-know" and making it to equip their troops with it.

Also, I was right about Mt Nibel as well. :mon: Basically, anywhere there's mako fountains, just like oil, that's indicative of land brimming with spirit energy. Areas filled with spirit energy and life, presumably can produce Huge Materia more easily and Shinra is well aware of this. Hence the locations of the reactors and Shinra easily going from reactor to reactor to get the materia inside of them.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
There is nothing in that statement that says anything about summon materia. It makes a general statement about materia in combat, which was not being debated. They commercialize plenty of other kinds of materia. Summons were not one of them. By your logic, Shinra should be able to create Holy and Black Materia as well.

And yet you say, for all their expertise in finding good mako spots, the Midgar wasteland doesn't count....despite it being used quite easily to power the Mako Cannon by several times more than it was when operated at Junon. I will repeat, the location has nothing to do with Huge Materia creation. It's a specific process the reactor has to have, since if every reactor could create it on their own, the Midgar reactors would do so. The Midgar type reactors are also the only type mass produced. There is something in the design that prevents them from doing so, as they are never mentioned in the huge materia plan.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You still haven't told me why summon materia is seemingly different than all other types of materia that exist.

Since you only wish to look at material from FFVII, there is absolutely nothing within the game that differentiates summon materia from any other kind of materia.

The White Materia and Black Materia are the ultimate magic materia formed by the planet itself and bequeathed to the Cetra. Meteor is the ultimate Black Magic spell formed naturally from the planet and Holy is the ultimate White Magic spell formed naturally by the planet. These two materia are special and acknowledged as such within the game and all other materials.

Nothing at all places summons anywhere close to that level.

The Midgar area is still capable of being a simple Mako extraction point, just like anywhere else on the planet. But the land's natural vitality has been depleted. As explained, materia comes from areas where spirit energy is most abundant. Midgar is a place where Aerith can't even hear the planet any more because it's dead. The 8 mako reactors have exhausted the natural spirit energy of the area. Comparing Midgar's environment to other places and saying it's just as likely to produce Huge Materia fundamentally ignores what makes materia in the first place.

Maybe there were huge materia produced by the Midgar reactors in the past and they've been used up. However, by the time VII rolls around, only the reactors outside of Midgar produce Huge Materia.

And the Mako Cannon was powered by the Huge Materia in Junon. Not the reactor feeding it. Again, that's a testament to Huge Materia's power.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
You still haven't told me why summon materia is seemingly different than all other types of materia that exist.

Since you only wish to look at material from FFVII, there is absolutely nothing within the game that differentiates summon materia from any other kind of materia.

The enormous difference in their availability does that, as does Sephiroth's (admittedly hidden) extra comments about the origins of summon materia.

And since I know you don't mind including the Compilation in this discussion, Zack seemed to take particular offense to Genesis using summons as he was.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
My interpretation is that Huge Materia is built up over time by the mako reactors, like a byproduct of the process. The Midgar reactors never produce Huge Materia because Shinra frequently make use of the byproduct so there's never a chance for it to build up.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
The enormous difference in their availability does that, as does Sephiroth's (admittedly hidden) extra comments about the origins of summon materia.

And since I know you don't mind including the Compilation in this discussion, Zack seemed to take particular offense to Genesis using summons as he was.

.... Im purposefully ignoring the Compilation since he's not acknowledging it.

Nothing in the original game or story separates summon materia from the rest. Scarcity is the only thing and that doesn't imply ignorance or sanctity. The deleted lines not included in the game are by definition deleted and not used anywhere so they're irrelevant.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Because they do not sell it, they do not equip it on their forces, and the few times they interact with it, it's either considered junk or used in desperate plans because of its nature as materia rather than its nature as a summon. And there is no evidence that any of the summons in their posession were deliberately created by them for that purpose (where as most other types are sold in stores and thus can be inferred to be manufactured deliberately). Pretty simple.

So? By your logic all materia can be artificially processed by the Shinra. What's it matter if it's Holy or Meteor? Mind you, I do not believe it possible for them to do so, but I'm taking your logic and running with it, since the statement does not state anywhere "We can create all materia...but not that special knowledge of the Ancients!". My point is not all materia are equal, and summon materia seems a cut above the likes of magic or command or support materia, based off of their nature as summons (which in FF lore generally are considered fairly special, in which nothing in the OG contradicts that).

Aerith can't hear the planet anymore in Midgar? What? She hears it plenty in Midgar. The Condor reactor's surroundings are also degraded. Most locations around reactors are degraded, which is sorta the thematic point of the reactors in the first place. The Midgar reactors are never stated to have Huge Materia at any point in the game. They aren't even considered in the discussion (by either Shinra or Avalanche) about Huge Materia. There is something about the Midgar reactors specifically that prevents them and I do not believe its the location.

My interpretation is that Huge Materia is built up over time by the mako reactors, like a byproduct of the process. The Midgar reactors never produce Huge Materia because Shinra frequently make use of the byproduct so there's never a chance for it to build up.

That is certainly a possibility. Indeed, I'm inclined to agree that's likely the case.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Nothing in the original game or story separates summon materia from the rest. Scarcity is the only thing and that doesn't imply ignorance or sanctity.

I never said it did? Only that this category of materia definitely holds a different place in the world.

Mako said:
The deleted lines not included in the game are by definition deleted and not used anywhere so they're irrelevant.
It still provides insight into the thought process behind their placement in the setting. They were clearly conceived of as a separate category not just for gameplay purposes but also for the world building.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Because they do not sell it, they do not equip it on their forces, and the few times they interact with it, it's either considered junk or used in desperate plans because of its nature as materia rather than its nature as a summon. And there is no evidence that any of the summons in their posession were deliberately created by them for that purpose (where as most other types are sold in stores and thus can be inferred to be manufactured deliberately). Pretty simple.

....I have no idea what evidence or explanation you're looking for that would satisfy you.

Yes, they do not sell summon materia in FFVII.

Shinra also doesn't sell mastered magic materia, or even materia at half-level growth that contain "ara" or "aga" level spells. Yet their SOLDIERs and high level infantry use some it.

They certainly don't sell Enemy Skill materia. Yet you find one just lying in the open in the Science Division.

Cait Sith, who comes from Shinra, is equipped with Manipulate materia. A materia that you cannot purchase anywhere.

Shinra doesn't sell Shinra Beta or Alphas, either. They don't sell Ziedrich armlets, or Tough Rings. Yet they're equipped by their troops and the Turks.

Something not being on sale doesn't make it different. That only makes it scarce. Scarce for the general populace and individuals not privy to Shinra's resources meant for their company members. The Ultimania Omega literally says Shinra has been making materia for years, and has a monopoly on the materia business. They're not necessarily selling all available types of materia, because they're keeping the most potent kinds for themselves due to its rarity and power. And not everyone can presumably use a Summon materia because they can't control it.

Yet FFVII shows Shinra in possession of at least 3 separate summon materia. The Hades materia, on board the Glenika which carried troops, monsters and weapons to be deployed to fight Sephiroth. The Odin materia in Hojo's safe inside the Shinra Manor. And Ifrit materia, on board the Shinra Cargo Ship where troops were on board before being brutally killed by Jenova. That's not even factoring in the Huge Materia themselves or the summon materia that's created in places like Fort Condor.

So in all those instances where summon materia is literally shown in the possession of individuals connected to the company or found where their soldiers congregate, that's all just coincidence to you? Just because no grunt or SOLDIER is shown to be able to actually summon with it, doesn't mean Shinra can't make summon materia for their elite SOLDIERs and assets capable of utilizing it.

If one were to acknowledge the Compilation itself, you'd see that is exactly the case. But even casting the Compilation aside, there's no evidence at all that says Shinra can't make it, or understand it. It being rare and unusable by the majority of the populace is more an issue than anything else.

So? By your logic all materia can be artificially processed by the Shinra. What's it matter if it's Holy or Meteor? Mind you, I do not believe it possible for them to do so, but I'm taking your logic and running with it, since the statement does not state anywhere "We can create all materia...but not that special knowledge of the Ancients!". My point is not all materia are equal, and summon materia seems a cut above the likes of magic or command or support materia, based off of their nature as summons (which in FF lore generally are considered fairly special, in which nothing in the OG contradicts that).

Again, nothing in the OG says anything about summons being special, a cut above or unfathomable to Shinra. They're simply shown to be rare. Not everyone can use them. And some summons are stronger than others. But that does not make summon materia simply impossible for Shinra to create. And it doesn't make summon materia equivalent to Huge Materia. And trying to insert outside Final Fantasy logic before acknowledging what is shown in the Compilation is pretty funny given the irrelevancy of one, and the tangible continuity of the other.

The Black and White Materia come from the planet itself from the time of the Cetra. They were created from the lifestream not just a mako reactor. The age, density and origin of the materia make it far above anything artificially created. Shinra can't create a materia using the whole planet.

So no, Shinra can't create all materia. I never said they could. Unique and powerful materia takes many years, lot's of spirit energy, and then a certain spirit energy to create materia on the level of say, the Black Materia. Huge Materia are shown to be created by Mako Reactors sucking the energy rich mako from locations abundant with life. But Shinra can't just make any materia they want because it would involve controlling the spirit energy of the planet.

Aerith can't hear the planet anymore in Midgar? What? She hears it plenty in Midgar. The Condor reactor's surroundings are also degraded. Most locations around reactors are degraded, which is sorta the thematic point of the reactors in the first place. The Midgar reactors are never stated to have Huge Materia at any point in the game. They aren't even considered in the discussion (by either Shinra or Avalanche) about Huge Materia. There is something about the Midgar reactors specifically that prevents them and I do not believe its the location.

No she doesn't by her own admission. While in the Shinra Building and talking to Cloud.

Aeris
All I know is...
The Cetra were born from the Planet, speak with the Planet, and unlock the Planet.
And...... then...
The Cetra will return to the Promised Land. A land that promises supreme happiness.

Cloud
...Speak with the Planet?

Aeris
It's full of people and noisy. That's why I can't make out what they are saying.

Cloud
You hear it now?

Aeris
I, I only heard it at the Church in the Slums.

In Midgar, Aerith can only hear the Planet... In the church.

And what's in the Church? The only spot in Midgar where plants, vegetation, life, grows.

Aerith does not hear the planet anywhere else in Midgar by her own admission.

Aeris
Mother said that Midgar was no longer safe. That is... my real mother.
'Someday I'll get out of Midgar... Speak with the Planet and find my Promised Land.'
...That's what mom said.

Ifalna couldn't speak to the planet in Midgar either. Not sure how much more evidence is needed to show that Midgar is uniquely depleted of life and spirit energy, to the point that the only vegetation that's alive in the entire wasteland, is in Aerith's church. The planet can only be heard there because the spirit energy is that weak.

It still provides insight into the thought process behind their placement in the setting. They were clearly conceived of as a separate category not just for gameplay purposes but also for the world building.

It was deleted. The only insight one can obtain, is that it was conceived at one point in development, and then chosen to be removed from the final draft of the game. The world building that exists in the final game is what I'm focusing on, and muddying that scope with concepts that have been discarded makes the point even more convoluted.

....They already don't wanna use what's actually shown in the setting of the Compilation, why in the world would I wanna to then use concepts that have been tossed out?

Top Bottom