Faith v. 3.0 (Cloti Club)

iamhorde

Pro Adventurer
Cloud says that again to Tifa, after narrowly grabbng her from falling at the Sector 7 plate tower:

View attachment 6413

Cloud: What the Hell
Tifa: Nice Catch (oh you don't the half of it girl)
Cloud: Your Crazy!
Tifa: Just like you, suck it up cause I am not leaving.

The natural banter between them is great!

I like the banter here too but I must say I prefer the Japanese version where instead of "What the Hell", Cloud actually calls Tifa's name. It sounds a lot more caring. Sakurai-san really brings out Cloud's concern and care for Tifa.

http://instagr.am/p/B_ysL2eFZpQ/

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
I like the banter here too but I must say I prefer the Japanese version where instead of "What the Hell", Cloud actually calls Tifa's name. It sounds a lot more caring. Sakurai-san really brings out Cloud's concern and care for Tifa.

Yeah, there are a lot of these cases throughout the dialog of the game. I agree with they said. "What the hell." Is much more a general concern for someone. However, by personalizing (calling out ones name) I think it is a personal connection between the speakers, and as an observer of the conversation it gets the message across that, Cloud genuinely cares for Tifa's well being.

I really do not like a lot of what the English, localization team did throughout the script. I think they have taken away a lot of meaningful scenes between them. In some they change the entire contex or the feeling of the scenes.

Shadowfox

You look like you need a monkey
Personally, from listening to that clip, I think that Cloud sounds like he's chastising her. So I'm okay with the "What the hell?" line because I think it matches with the tone that Cloud's Japanese VA used.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
This is one of those cultural customs in dialogue that I’m glad to see done properly. In western dialogue traditions, we just don’t say people’s names as much. I remember playing the original FFVII (my first Japanese media) and being baffled by how much characters just said each other’s names. It felt extremely alien and weird to me. It wasn’t until I watched Evangelion with subtitles that I could hear *how* names are used in JP dialogue (and in the written subtitle, the placement of the name is usually moved, for instance someone saying “Shinji-kun” at the end of a sentence gives weight to the name, but in English, the weight comes across if you put the name at the beginning of the sentence).

“What the hell” in this instance communicates a lot in English — more so than trying to use just her name to convey that feeling. And more importantly, it makes Tifa’s response make sense in a way just saying her name wouldn’t in English. She’s responding to direct incredulation rather than reading into his tone.

I guess my point is that western audiences don’t really “hear” names the way JP audiences do. Putting them in an English script isn’t going to have the same impact. Think of any English film, doesn’t have to be Hollywood, and think of when characters said a name and it communicated something other than establishing who they were speaking to in a group scene, or establishing a character’s name for the audience. The first examples that pop into my mind: “You’re tearing me apart, Lisa!” One of the most mocked lines from The Room, or Finn constantly shouting ”Rey!” in Star Wars, also widely mocked.

Last edited:

DutchDread

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dutch Dread
The English version of this scene is misleading as they changed Aerith's "ね!" to "Mine", after which Tifa holds Cloud's arm making it seem like Tifa was jealous. The Japanese version goes give off a more friendly, lighten the mood vibe. There's an Instagram account that provides great examples of how these key scenes are different.

The "mine" thing didn't bother me, perhaps because I read it exactly the opposite of possessive. The way Aerith said it seemed extremely intentional to me. As if she's actively trying to get Tifa to act on her own feelings "come on girl, you gotta fight for him or you'll never get him". Which works, Tifa immediately follows suit and grabs Clouds arm.

If anything, I saw it as yet another example of what I feel I constantly see Aerith doing in the remake, trying to push Cloud and Tifa together, which, if she knows the future, is the only right thing for her to do, whether she dies or not.

she can make herself look good if she tries.

...Does Tifa think she normally doesn't look good? I mean, I've noticed that the mirror in FFVII don't show reflections, but still, I think she'd have noticed at some point.

All the while thinking Cloud is seriously injured somewhere, or dead.
And then double ouw, she then finds him together with another girl, and the, when she finally gets to be there in the dress she chose for him, the other girl is also there in a dress of her own......

Last edited:

minami758

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Miiwoo
This is one of those cultural customs in dialogue that I’m glad to see done properly. In western dialogue traditions, we just don’t say people’s names as much. I remember playing the original FFVII (my first Japanese media) and being baffled by how much characters just said each other’s names. It felt extremely alien and weird to me. It wasn’t until I watched Evangelion with subtitles that I could hear *how* names are used in JP dialogue (and in the written subtitle, the placement of the name is usually moved, for instance someone saying “Shinji-kun” at the end of a sentence gives weight to the name, but in English, the weight comes across if you put the name at the beginning of the sentence).

“What the hell” in this instance communicates a lot in English — more so than trying to use just her name to convey that feeling. And more importantly, it makes Tifa’s response make sense in a way just saying her name wouldn’t in English. She’s responding to direct incredulation rather than reading into his tone.

I guess my point is that western audiences don’t really “hear” names the way JP audiences do. Putting them in an English script isn’t going to have the same impact. Think of any English film, doesn’t have to be Hollywood, and think of when characters said a name and it communicated something other than establishing who they were speaking to in a group scene, or establishing a character’s name for the audience. The first examples that pop into my mind: “You’re tearing me apart, Lisa!” One of the most mocked lines from The Room, or Finn constantly shouting ”Rey!” in Star Wars, also widely mocked.

This is true! I think I enjoy playing with Japanese voices more just because I'm a fan of how Sakurai says Tifa's name, but I also don't mind that the English takes away some of that name shouting because of the differences in how we use them. There's a moment in English where Cloud says Tifa's name too, whereas in Japanese it's "let's go." It's during the plate fall, when Tifa is in shock and Cloud has to drag her away from watching everything go to shit. I really like that scene because it demonstrates just how much Tifa is frozen at the reality of what's happening.

And then double ouw, she then finds him together with another girl, and the, when she finally gets to be there in the dress she chose for him, the other girl is also there in a dress of her own......

Haha, honestly I think Tifa's a bit preoccupied with other things at this point to really care about the optics of that situation.

DutchDread

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dutch Dread
Haha, honestly I think Tifa's a bit preoccupied with other things at this point to really care about the optics of that situation.

Considering the tone in which she said "okay" when she met Aerith, I do actually think it immediately crossed her mind XD

DutchDread

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dutch Dread
Oh I interpreted that scene as just her being surprised and confused at everything that's going on, lol.
Could be, I am guessing it's a combination.

Edit, because of all the talk about it I just went back to watch the credits of AC/C, since I literally never even realized that those were changed (the old credits were so insignificant to me that I never really even took notice of them, let alone think people were actually gonna use them to claim that Cloud was still looking for Aerith and that the entire theme of the movie was invalid or something)

But this was the first time I actually saw the small after credit scene where Cloud left some of Aeriths flowers where Zack died, and left Zacks sword in the church.
That brought a tear to my eye.

Last edited:

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer

I'm still wondering what was the purpose of this slow-motion hand reaching cinematic, not that I'm complaining tho :D

Honestly, C/T needs a cinematic analysis of their scene bc there's a lot of scenes like this for no reason other than calling the player attention to their acts lol

No one:

Literally no one:

JP Cloud: Tifa

Sakurai out there living every Tifa fanboy dream and being paid to call her name 24/7 of the time :tearsofjoy:

Final_Heaven

Pro Adventurer
Could be, I am guessing it's a combination.

Edit, because of all the talk about it I just went back to watch the credits of AC/C, since I literally never even realized that those were changed (the old credits were so insignificant to me that I never really even took notice of them, let alone think people were actually gonna use them to claim that Cloud was still looking for Aerith and that the entire theme of the movie was invalid or something)

But this was the first time I actually saw the small after credit scene where Cloud left some of Aeriths flowers where Zack died, and left Zacks sword in the church.
That brought a tear to my eye.

There's also a scene in Reminisce that takes places after Advent Children where Cloud tells Tifa he's not taking deliveries and tells her to close her bar tomorrow and to tell the children. I really wish it was the post-credits scene of Advent Children:

22:12

odekopeko

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Peko
...Does Tifa think she normally doesn't look good? I mean, I've noticed that the mirror in FFVII don't show reflections, but still, I think she'd have noticed at some point.

I'm sure she knows she's stunning by now, what with guys buying her bouquets, and not being able to walk two steps without some thirsty NPC cat-calling her. But I assumed she was talking about not having any pretty clothes, not about her physical features. Also, I think she's nervous because Cloud asked her with such a curious expression.

Btw, Nojima tweeting about himself watching Tokiwa Takako's drama "Aishiteru to itte kure".
A Jp CT fan responded with, "This is like the famous hug scene."

Thought it was cute someone made the connection. I hope we get more of these kinds of scenes with CT in future installments.

Last edited:

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
There's also a scene in Reminisce that takes places after Advent Children where Cloud tells Tifa he's not taking deliveries and tells her to close her bar tomorrow and to tell the children. I really wish it was the post-credits scene of Advent Children:

22:12

Every time I watch this video my heart becomes so full!! Cloud's voice here... so peaceful and light, his chuckles ... my heart. I'm so happy that this fictional character is happy too lol :sob:

DutchDread

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dutch Dread
Every time I watch this video my heart becomes so full!! Cloud's voice here... so peaceful and light, his chuckles ... my heart. I'm so happy that this fictional character is happy too lol

Why would you be happy, it's obvious that he wants them to take the day off to they can sit down and talk about the fact that they're platonic friends and that Cloud is gonna go off looking for Aerith right? :monster:

Ruri

Pro Adventurer
Oooh DD, it's ok, I hope the recent LTD debate have not left you a little reeling? Reading a lot of that after I woke up I feel the same. I also probably should have listened to you at the start when you hinted at it being a lost cause. This thread is a safe space though, go watch the video and listen to how soft Cloud's voice in when speaking to Tifa. It's like a tonic. :properhug:

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
Why would you be happy, it's obvious that he wants them to take the day off to they can sit down and talk about the fact that they're platonic friends and that Cloud is gonna go off looking for Aerith right? :monster:

But really, I was reading your posts this morning and I was absolutely amazed by the amount of patience some of you have. Debate with them doesn't stress me anymore, I find it amusing tbh. but if it does to you, just leave, it's not worth the stress.

I gonna take @Ruri 's advice and watch that video again... it's just so good :'(

RhinoKart

Pro Adventurer

For what it is worth DD, I really appreciate your work in those threads!

On a happier note: I actually love in the Reminicance video the tone of Cloud's voice when he says "that was easy" in response to Tifa closing the bar.

And simply because we were talking about Nojima's twitter.... I'm in love with his Guinea Pig! Every time he posts a picture I die inside.

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai

I actually found a remnant of this old fanfic. It isn't quite exactly the fanfic itself, but more of a sporking. Nevertheless, the fanfic's text is still there, interspliced with commentary by the sporking authors.

I forgot who it was that wanted to find an archive of this fic. I think it was @Cat on Mars? Anyway, I just want to let everybody know I managed to locate an old hidden gem.

Oh, I'm referring to that old Clerith fic, btw. That one that's supposed to be set at the end of Reminiscence, where Cloud has gone off to meet Aerith in a flowerfield and they have spirit sex.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
I actually found a remnant of this old fanfic. It isn't quite exactly the fanfic itself, but more of a sporking. Nevertheless, the fanfic's text is still there, interspliced with commentary by the sporking authors.

I forgot who it was that wanted to find an archive of this fic. I think it was @Cat on Mars? Anyway, I just want to let everybody know I managed to locate an old hidden gem.

Oh, I'm referring to that old Clerith fic, btw. That one that's supposed to be set at the end of Reminiscence, where Cloud has gone off to meet Aerith in a flowerfield and they have spirit sex.

Ohhhhh, I get it now. Is that the reference someone was talking about a few pages back? What in the world is Spirit Sex? That is some off the wall bat crazy stuff if you ask me.

I'm sure she knows she's stunning by now, what with guys buying her bouquets, and not being able to walk two steps without some thirsty NPC cat-calling her. But I assumed she was talking about not having any pretty clothes, not about her physical features. Also, I think she's nervous because Cloud asked her with such a curious expression.

Of course Tifa knows that she is beautiful. However, she only has eyes for one person. I mean according to Barret one of the Avalanche members tried to pull the flower trick on her. She refused him. Then here comes Cloud with one single flower, it made her entire day. The way her face lit up. I guess it matters who the flower came from rather than the flower itself.

Now that I think about it, it is strange that a women like her remained single for so long. She could have any man she wanted for the past 7 years or so. Except, she stayed single. I wonder why...

Last edited:
Top Bottom