Fat Princess: Helping to create...

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
Just chiming in for a sec and say that I meant for this topic to be controversial, but I didn't anticipate the topic to become so explosive, and that I hope there was no harm done here gentlemen. :monster: I'm pretty sure there wasn't rly, but I was worried there for a minute. :lol:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
You'll need a better comparison man, because that one really doesn't hold up.

That's more about selfishly hoarding things than protecting/capturing large princesses to win a war.

Either way, eating or starving will kill a person if done too much, so video games aren't really realistic like that.

Also, while people view overweight people as jovial, or even cute, everyone freaks out over anorexia. It repels just about everyone, and is generally MUCH more unhealthy for a person than being overweight.

Both examples are still pretty possessive and objectifying. But I refuse to be drawn down that tangent at this hour. :D

Technically it wouldn't be anorexia, but as Mako said it would invoke images of it. And I don't think it's right to place one above the other, because they're both dangerous disorders that people should avoid at all costs.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Both examples are still pretty possessive and objectifying. But I refuse to be drawn down that tangent at this hour. :D

Technically it wouldn't be anorexia, but as Mako said it would invoke images of it. And I don't think it's right to place one above the other, because they're both dangerous disorders that people should avoid at all costs.

Images of skeletons typically don't evoke humor. Weight is much easier to pass off as silly, than a person who looks like she's about to die.

Kidnapping anorexic women who look deathly skinny to stuff in your castle is just morbid. But I suppose if they did it in a fashion that didn't evoke images of death. But that's pretty much impossible, I don't see how they could pull that off to make it cute, silly, or comedic.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Feeding women until they become immovable heifers could be seen as tasteless. It works both ways, Dac.

Eh, I don't agree. It's done in a silly, cute fashion in Fat Princess.

How do you do that with skeletal women who look like death?

The context, art, direction, and whatnot make Fat Princess entertaining and silly. I don't see how you could do that with stuffing as many women who seem like they're about to die into a castle as you can.

It's not meant to be taken as a representation of real life, they're unrealistically overweight, they can be turned back to normal size, at an unnatural speed which evokes the same silliness.

Saying that's supposed to be offensive, or that it has some underlying message of fat people being bad, ugly, or whatever is stupid.

Thinking it's a tasteless joke however, is just up to the person.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I think the anorexic thing would only work in the way that the Princess has to be so small and skinny so she can run fast and avoid her kidnappers. But that's a stretch.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Yeah, it'd have to work in the context of the game.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I think the anorexic thing would only work in the way that the Princess has to be so small and skinny so she can run fast and avoid her kidnappers. But that's a stretch.
Except anorexia means you have no energy, so she'd be listless.But again, fictional game, so whatever.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
So like, just watched the gameplay video.. I'd say the game is morbid as it is considering the blood splattered grass and drowning in the water under 5 seconds.. I don't think an anorexic princes would be much worse in the context of the game, vs a fat princess.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I already said the game was bloody as hell, no one seemed to care because there's a woman who gets fat.

But the cartooney style does seem to make it have less of an impact.

I mean, how do you make an anorexia fun? How would that even fit into the game?

It doesn't add anything, and it would seem to just be there for the hell of it.

If they make it so it's not as horrible as it is with real life, and add a goofy twist to it, then I guess it wouldn't be that bad. I just don't think it's possible.

Last edited:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Yeah. Everything else seems to pale in comparison when there's a fat person in it. :monster:

After hearing the debate, I thought you played as the princess, but you just play as someone who's feeding her. imo That's a lot less offensive and self esteem damaging than say if you did play the princess and you were feeding yourself until.. oh noooes you're stuck.

Anorexia wouldn't work on any level because its not seen in the same way. Real people who are fat doing silly things on youtube? Funny. Skinny anorexics on TV? Usually models and celebrities. Because of societies images of both, it's more acceptable to be too skinny than it is to be too fat, even if health risks are greater.

Just imo. So its harder to take some thing that's "okay" and make it dumb and stupid rather than take something already dumb and stupid and make it worse.

imo

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Well you can be overweight and still be healthy and happy, anorexia is pretty much an awful state of being that everyone generally disapproves of, even people who suffer from it.

My dad's a big guy, he's every bit of 300 pounds, though most of it in his arms. He's got a belly, and he's got no problem with it, he eats cause he likes food, he's pretty healthy and active. I don't think there's a lot of anorexic people you can say that about.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Actually most anorexics like being anorexic because they feel they're becoming beautiful and that they have to lose more weight.

Just wanted to say that. :monster:

And a male being overweight isn't exactly the same as a female. Females face more societal pressure to be thin and attractive than men.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
My dad's a big guy, he's every bit of 300 pounds, though most of it in his arms. He's got a belly, and he's got no problem with it, he eats cause he likes food, he's pretty healthy and active. I don't think there's a lot of anorexic people you can say that about.

Except the same thing can be said for underweight people.

Underweight =/= anorexic.

We were talking about extreme examples. One becoming so obese they are physically immovable, and people becoming wafer-thin.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Actually most anorexics like being anorexic because they feel they're becoming beautiful and that they have to lose more weight.

Just wanted to say that. :monster:

And a male being overweight isn't exactly the same as a female. Females face more societal pressure to be thin and attractive than men.

Uh. Men get shat on for being fat quite a bit too. They're under a lot of pressure to be attractive too.

It's not like they can get away with it either. How many fat guys did you see getting a lot of women in high school? I didn't see any.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Except the same thing can be said for underweight people.

Underweight =/= anorexic.

We were talking about extreme examples. One becoming so obese they are physically immovable, and people becoming wafer-thin.

You said starving people, and taking it to an extreme is anorexia.

There's no way to play with starving people and get away with it.

A woman with weight that's magically shiftable isn't that big a deal in a friggin videogame.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Agree on Mako on the anorexia thing, because most of it is self controlled. The thinner they are, the prettier they are, and they have supermodels to look up to. They do it because they want to. You don't get many plus sized models these days and if you do, they aren't even fat, they're pretty average.

And girls have more pressure than guys, because girls can be far bitchier to each other than guys can.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
You said starving people, and taking it to an extreme is anorexia.

There's no way to play with starving people and get away with it.

Anorexia is self-inflicted, starvation necessarily isn't. But anyway, you were trying to say your dad carries a few extra pounds and he's not unhealthy, well the same can be said for people below their expected weight.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Some people will find force-feeding women into obesity vulgar and ill-mannered, and the same can be said for starving people.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Agree on Mako on the anorexia thing, because most of it is self controlled. The thinner they are, the prettier they are, and they have supermodels to look up to. They do it because they want to. You don't get many plus sized models these days and if you do, they aren't even fat, they're pretty average.

I don't get why though, men don't like that at all, and it's pretty damn dangerous.

And girls have more pressure than guys, because girls can be far bitchier to each other than guys can.
I don't really agree with this. Guys are pretty damn cruel with each other too.

I've seen guys run off crying from cruel jokes, and other assholes holding down fat guys and rubbing their dicks on their faces, making jokes about them liking sausage.

Anorexia is self-inflicted, starvation necessarily isn't. But anyway, you were trying to say your dad carries a few extra pounds and he's not unhealthy, well the same can be said for people below their expected weight.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Some people will find force-feeding women into obesity vulgar and ill-mannered, and the same can be said for starving people.

There's no force feeding though. She eats the food on her own.

No one makes her eat. She loves cake.

And I never said anything about thin people not being healthy, being anorexic generally is not.

Munatik

Beacause I am a puppet
Anorexia typically arises from a need for control, and it's not just an socially-driven image thing. That's why it's considered a psychiatric illness, and not just an eating disorder. And to be fair, there are men do suffer from it as well.

Mental illness doesn't hold much comedic value. That's probably why it would never be considered as a basis for a game such as the likes of Fat Princess.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
In all fairness there's been cases where people have eaten themselves into above the hundreds because of mental illness.

Or so it's been said.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I don't get why though, men don't like that at all, and it's pretty damn dangerous.

Neither do I, but this is society. :monster:

I don't really agree with this. Guys are pretty damn cruel with each other too.

I've seen guys run off crying from cruel jokes, and other assholes holding down fat guys and rubbing their dicks on their faces, making jokes about them liking sausage.

Yeah that's harsh all right, but teenage girls can spread rumours, make entire groups/cliques of people hate on one person with a few simple words, that when attached to "its because she's fat" cause ruin a reputation. I can't say who's worse, guys can be worse physically, but girls can be pretty damn vicious mentally and emotionally. I know. :monster:

There's no force feeding though. She eats the food on her own.

No one makes her eat. She loves cake.

God bless her.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Yeah that's harsh all right, but teenage girls can spread rumours, make entire groups/cliques of people hate on one person with a few simple words, that when attached to "its because she's fat" cause ruin a reputation. I can't say who's worse, guys can be worse physically, but girls can be pretty damn vicious mentally and emotionally. I know. :monster:

Doesn't that happen to everyone though? I know a lot of guys who've spread rumors about girls and vice versa.

It got spread around my old school that I killed someone because I generally stayed away from the students, and looked unfavorably on making stupid jokes, and threatened one guy.

I had a cop knock on my door because of that.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Hrm, I stand corrected. I was just making generalizations based on my school where the girls were bitchier than the guys, and that bitchy movie Mean Girls. :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Hrm, I stand corrected. I was just making generalizations based on my school where the girls were bitchier than the guys, and that bitchy movie Mean Girls. :monster:

Well, it's kinda stupid to compare asshole ratios from gender to gender anyway :monster:

But doesn't that stuff stop once you get out in the real world on your own?

Generally the only people you get exposed to a lot after school are the friends you want to keep right?

Anyway, I've said my piece, I'll give other members room to have a say. I'll say I disagree with you all and hope a hooker crashes from the ceiling into your lap.

I'm off to play Killzone 2 till the new contractor calls back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom