FF Novice Plays FF IX

• Thread starter Deleted member 13557
  • Start date

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I had fun with it, tbh. I think the battle system was a lot of fun. But the lack of features and stuff to do does make it hard to rank above a lot of the others. I personally like it better than VIII :lol:
I really struggle ranking it with XII, too. Because I think it is objectively obvious that XII is a superior-constructed game, the effort that went into XII's world is astonishing. But if I wanted to just pick and play a game between the two of them right now, I'd probably pick XIII. So I never know what that should mean in my ranking, haha.
I 100%'d XIII, actually, which is really rare for me. But I just really got into the battle system. The aforementioned lack of other stuff to do also makes the Platinum a little easier too, haha.

The most controversial elements of my ranking, I imagine, are VIII and IV being so low. A lot of people really love those and I just never got it.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The definitive FF tier list.

my definitive FF tier list.png

S-tier is honestly, close to broken. No bad match-ups. The most important thing in this series is "character." Character, character, and character. If you're in S-rank, that means not only do you have a solid combo game that you can pick up and enjoy, but your character building, style, soundtrack and art style match-ups are just. They're broke. The supers here hit like a truck, and you honestly are almost in Burst mode all the time. Tbh, they should be banned but that's for another post.

A-tier is basically everything that's good but isn't uber broken. Which is honestly a lot, considering most franchises. These have mostly great match-ups for everything but the S-tier which kinda sucks but a skilled audience can really get around the S-tier character's unique character cross-ups and actually pull a win with their own strong mix-ups and mostly safe combos. FFX and FFXIV are sorta anti-meta in that sense given they actually go hard against S-tier in the hands of a really skilled and dedicated player. The strong and sudden win Emet-Selch pulled off last year at NHK really put FFXIV in the meta and I don't see XIV going anywhere but up. Same for X. People shit on X-2 but they don't know what they're talking about or just hate lesbian fighters.

B-tier is good, but if you're in this tier, that means you have a significant number of really unsafe moves in your game that can destroy you in a match-up or just keep you from being A-tier. Games here go for a lot of stylistic DPs that are awesome when they connect, but when they don't, you basically end up in a corner grinding for obnoxious amounts of time, having poor fundamentals in gameplay, thin-story moments, thin-characters, or something else. Strong supers are great and all, but if you have no grasp of fundamentals, you're gonna have to rely on Burst-cancelling and hoping you can make the player forget they nearly got wrecked by an A-tier's cross-up.

C-tier members are good, but they're worse than B-tier. Except, even their DPs are weak. However, what keeps them from being in D-tier is they do one thing good. Like really good. They have one good just-combo that just works and if you're feeling like showing off your skill and have OD'd these games, you could actually pull off a win against a B-tier, or a non-focused/noob A-tier player. I don't think I've ever seen someone from C-tier hang with an S-tier match up though. But who knows.

D-tier is just. Why were you made?

E-tier is where you go if you want to be robbed. Games here actively hurt you. They look good but they're a n00b trap. They exist to take your money and run. Best to just watch these from afar. You're also here if you're dead because you got phased out. Sucks but that happens.

Hope this helps people understand how to play this franchise. XVI is looking promising, and I really can't wait to see its combos. Really looks like it'll at least be A-tier but given who's designing them? Easily could be another S and then we'd have to redo all this. :monster:

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Best: FFVII, FFX, Tactics**
Great: FFIX**, FFV, FFXII, FFVI
Neat: FFIII3D, X-2, Crisis Core, World of Final Fantasy
Good: FFI, FFIV, FFXIII-2
Good with qualifiers***: FFVIII, FFII, FFXV, Dirge
I hate: FFXIII

*I played Tactics with hax because I was interested in the story and not in playing a TRPG. So it would seem weird to rank in in my best, but the story's the only thing I can judge it on and damn I like that story.

**FFIX's a really good game, but in my mind I'm turned off from it because of the slow battles (I played PS1 PAL, with its long battle loads and intro cams, and 5/6 intended play speed), less interesting battle system (also Trance gdi), and also how long it takes before you get real freedom on the world map. Chocobo Hot and Cold is gold, and Tetra Master is awful. Triple Triad 4 fifty hours game time lyf.

***These games can be enjoyed but are weird. VIII and II's unintuitive character development systems, Dirge is a janky shooter, and FFXV's battle system isn't my thing but it's at least easily broken. Ragnarok DLC weapon is inexplicably OP?

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
My tiermaker list:

OUICUGP.png

My rule was to only rank games I have finished OR games that I haven't finished and don't intend to because I didn't like them. :monster:
Games like FFI, II, IV or V aren't on here because I played but never finished them but I still plan to...one day....one day I swear.

S-tier is basically the golden era for me. FFVII - X is when Square seemed like they couldn't go wrong.

A-tier is more stuff I love though not quite as much. FF Adventure aka Mystic Quest is in there because nostalgia. Was my first Square game and first RPG. Not sure how I'd actually rate it if I played it today, might feel pretty outdated these days.
I almost put FFXIV at B simply because A Realm Reborn was kind of a chore and it drags everything down. Would be more comfortable if I could rate each expansion separately but anyway, decided to go with A which is more representative for the post ARR stuff.
Yes, FFX-2 is in there. It's fun and jolly as fuck, haters gonna hate!

B-tier. "Eh, it's alright." FFXV here is explicitly the launch version since that is the only time I played it.

C-tier is games that I got bored of. Vagrant Story I tried hard to get into because the story and direction seemed good. But approx. 4 - 5 aborted playthroughs tell me that I just. can't. get into that gameplay. :sigh:
FFXII stands out as the first main FF game that I didn't finish during my first playthrough. Eventually went back, started over and finished it but still couldn't quite get into it. It's a game that has a lot going for it and yet never jibed with me unfortunately.
FFXIII was disappointing overall though I did like the combat actually.
Crystal Chronicles was boring and multiplayer requiring everyone to have a GBA was just dumb.

D-tier: Dislike. I used to think Dirge was mediocre but the last time I played it I revised my opinion to "nah, actually pretty bad."
FF Type 0 seemed cool at first, then actively angered me with its absolute nonsensical dumbass story and the way it's presented, the boring characters, the shitty English voice acting and the garbage-tier ending.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
FF Brigade/Airborne Brigade doesn't belong on even the same list as some of that, much less the same tier.

Yes, tier list debate! :wacky:

I mean, they didn't have an F tier, so I just put it at the bottom but it certainly is the worst, I remember playing that and feeling pain :monster:

I almost put FFXIV at B simply because A Realm Reborn was kind of a chore and it drags everything down. Would be more comfortable if I could rate each expansion separately but anyway, decided to go with A which is more representative for the post ARR stuff.
Yes, FFX-2 is in there. It's fun and jolly as fuck, haters gonna hate!

I remember when people called FFXIV low-tier trash, and here we are. I think overall FFXIV definitely deserves an A as well.

People hate on FFX-2 because they think it's a joke character entry just about dress up and pop songs, but in terms of sequels? It's neutral conversion is probably one of the strongest in the franchise. You get into a lot of action and strong enjoyable story that combos into a really memorable and epic sequel that follows X effectively. It's different but that's the mix-up that lets X-2 stand out among a lot of sequels. :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Is Tactics worth a play?

200w.gif

...yes I'd say is.

I adore FF Tactics, the story is layered and fantastic, and there's an incredibly deep skill and battle system. It's not easy, though, and it's fairly long. So if you're trying to do VI, VIII, and/or X next, know that those will probably be faster/more straightforward.
But I would love to see your experience with Tactics as well. There are of course many guides, but several years ago I ran a Community Playthrough for Tactics, and you could follow along with the chapters (all linked in the first post) here: https://thelifestream.net/forums/threads/final-fantasy-tactics-community-playthrough.19435/ For your reports. And I, Mr. Ite, and Joker if he's around are pretty decent experts with the game to offer assistance when you get around to it.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Because Square is dumb, that's more complicated than it needs to be.

The original came out on PS1 in '98, and it is for sale on the PS3 playstation store in that form. In '07, they released a remastered version called The War of the Lions which featured gorgeous prerendered cutscenes, new story battles and sidequests, a couple extra classes and characters, and a completely new translation. The original is kinda dicey. This was on PSP, and to this day the only thing Square has ported that version to is mobile. Unless you have a big tablet, that'ts probably not the easiest way to play it. The emulator PPSSPP runs it very well, but the original is still great fun as well if you don't mind me pestering you with all the changes you're missing :lol:
The first post of that thread I linked explains the way to get all the different versions in detail. If you choose the emulator route I'm happy to get you set up.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I know I'm a week late with the tier list sharing, but here's mine of the mainline games I've completed. I've attempted to play every FF (some multiple times), but for one reason or another just couldn't get them to the finish line.

my-image~2.png

It should be noted that I find VIII to be the most interesting FF, after VII of course.

Sephiroth Crescent

Way Ahead of the Plot
Me Late

final-fantasy-tiers.png

Some people might find some weirdness, but it makes sense to me.
I'd elaborate on it but I'm too lazy, and would be too spoilery (it already is kinda spoilery that there's sequels, but oh well!).

@ThatGuyMikey No need to rush it (I hope). Just play the series at your own rate, try to avoid spoilers and guides for 1st playthrus and enjoy the ride.
I'm here if you need advice on emulation or which patches/versions to try when the time comes.

D

Deleted member 13557

No need to rush it (I hope). Just play the series at your own rate
I'm currently very slowly making my way through my 2nd, guided FF IX run. Life stuff has kinda gotten in the way for now.
I'm here if you need advice on emulation or which patches/versions to try when the time comes.
Thanks! As far as emulation goes, I'll probably emulate VI first and go backwards to I. Kinda wanna finish with the OG :)

I'm not sure how I'm gonna tackle XIII and its sequels, and I think that I'm gonna leave out XI entirely, sorry guys.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
Ok, I realize the overarching theme here is comparing FF games, and I haven't even played a third of them. I did play FFVIII and it sucks tho. BUT, if we're trying to steer our relative newbie (honestly, I'm not sure that title applies anymore) towards great experiences, I would posit Chrono Cross for your consideration.

"But EM, that isn't a Final Fantasy game!" you might say. And you'd be right, it absolutely isn't. It IS however, a Square game, and a phenomenal one at that. The storyline is engaging, the visuals (for the time) were gorgeous, and the music is just... *chef's kiss*. I maintain to this day that Chrono Cross has the best soundtrack of any game ever made, and I'll fight anyone who challenges me on that.
UnfoldedHighAfricanwildcat-max-1mb.gif

Ok so put Chrono Cross on the list kthxbai

Top Bottom