FFVII: Ever Crisis Announced

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Lucia's Vivi's gun and Vivi costume gives 25% Bonus Effect up for the event which is neat (the weapon gives +15% at overboost 6). It stacks with the bonus effects of other players so even if you're only running with say another Lucia for example and another character with the gun as sub weapon for example it's a good boost to event currency. My Lucia isn't l55 so I've just been sticking with Aerith and using the Vivi weapon as a sub weapon to lend a 15% bonus to the event, but running with the other players and stacking the bonuses has helped a lot. When I get it to Overboost 20 I will get the Blacksmith title.

I initially also thought the FFIX gacha banner was a step up banner and wasn't impressed, but it's not, the bonus effects are for the event currencies, unless I'm missing something and it's both.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Finding that how this works after-the-fact is even more odd, because the Event Currency boost is SO redundant. I got Vivi's Gun up to +20, only purchased 5 of them from the Event shop, never used a single event currency boost from having those weapons on a character – AND there're still plenty of Peridot purchases to be made in the shop and I had an additional ~500 Weapon Pieces that aren't able to be used for anything, but I've got essentially 2000 Black Feathers that can't actually be used to acquire anything meaningful.

I also wanted to just add in a bit more detail about what makes me more concerned about Ever Crisis is that you can tell that the mindset of the development team is what you see in regular game development from what's at the core of most of the way that the game is set up, but the weird shoehorning of mobile-type design that it's forced into and the relentless execution of what feel like non-stop rushed updates are what you see in the mobile gaming space, where the people who control the budget are more than happy to shred features for profit, because they don't care if the game is worse if it earns them a bigger immediate payout, and gives them a way to paint a title's performance as the problem rather than their insane greed.

The gaming industry (and software in general) is in a SUPER volatile place right now where budgets are getting slashed, and one of the sectors that's not being impacted as heavily is mobile – specifically because that's where the money-hungry executives already have VASTLY more power to dictate what gets released than in the rest of the gaming industry, so those same profit-driven decisions that slice apart stable industries are the uncomfortable defacto normal operating scope in mobile dev. That's ALSO why systems like gacha are so rampant there and the effect is that it's ALSO what's starting to push those profit margin expectations into the regular gaming space more and more as that's what executives are expected and allowed to see their games as.

That's a part of what's poised to start making a lot more games objectively worse, as it's been leading to massive layoffs that only impact the department of people who are trying to make their products NOT a heaping pile of predatory monetization, and actually care what the community thinks. Alana succinctly covers the general situation really clearly when speaking about the recent Bungie layoffs.

I think that this level of disconnect in expectations between the normal gaming dev world and the mobile gaming sectors are a key factor in what killed The First SOLDIER, because compared to other predatory mobile games it was falling below expectations. More and more those sorts of margins of the mobile environments are impacting the practices of what has always been normal game development that's just being delivered to a mobile platform instead because that's where they have engineers to do that work. Those sorts of things had SOME type of impact on Ever Crisis development falling silent for a really long time and they're the type of behind-the-scenes things that are things that feel somewhat worrying when looking at the future of the Remake Project over the next several years, where that budget for the final game is still not a wholly guaranteed thing.

To remind you of the types of greed that you see out of these executives and just how much that shakes up everything in the profit-focused world that they live in – despite Final Fantasy XVI's insane positive reviews, ridiculous high attach rate of ~7%, and general sales success as a PS5-only title – it still underperformed by the executive's absurdly high standards and dropped SE's stock as a result. Those are the types of people who have even MORE control over mobile development and who gut things that don't make the cut like with The First SOLDIER, and are likely the ones putting pressure on Ever Crisis at the moment, which is why you have all sorts of this scrambling and putting out patchwork content.

FFVII Remake has around 7 million lifetime sales at the moment... while Elden Ring has sold essentially triple that number. Elden Ring's had a year longer so its PS5 sales are a bit larger than those of FFXVI which is entirely exclusive to PS5, but those things reshape what money-hungry executives expect. Spider-Man 2 is a PS5-only title and has about 5 million sales in just a month, and this is one of those things were the number of PS5 console owners are going to impact what that TAM (total addressable market) looks like for Rebirth, whereas the mobile TAM is massive, especially if you look at Steam coming down the pipeline and so the behind-the-scenes monetary expectations on that are likely HUGE.

Japan is a place where that kind of executive power already carries a disproportionally heavy of weight (see Konami), and that's why I've been trying to pay extra attention to those things, because Ever Crisis is still something that's attached to the Remake Project overall and is likely a not-insubstantial means by which the funding for taking risks on making insane scope games like Rebirth even get allowed to happen. Add that on to how the entire games industry (and software in general) being more cutthroat & volatile around tight budgets right now, and that makes things even more concerning during what's literally just a 3.5 month build-up window until Rebirth's release. This is when you'd expect that you'd be pushing a LOT of Marketing budget into Ever Crisis and making sure that they have all of the resources to be able to help galvanize excitement and building up a really stable foundation for its playerbase... Instead, the releases are painting a more worrying picture behind-the-scenes of the types of executive profit-focused interference into that development space that you don't want to see in general, but ESPECIALLY when it comes to FFVII-related content.

Because failure here is always seen as issues with the development staff, design leadership, and people who MAKE the games, rather than the absolutely psychotic demands of the executives who want to throttle every last bit of life of them for profit.

...and a game telling stories about the dangers of Shinra executives doing exactly that isn't something that you want those exact type of people in the real world to be able to gain more agency over.

X :neo:

Maidenofwar

They/Them
The Event Currency Boost is to all Peridot and Feathers. If you're doing co-op you benefit from the Bonus others are using even if you haven't been using the equipment yourself, if you're not you're running the event more.

Last edited:

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
FWIW I've already got Lucia's weapon at like max OB +4 and I only bought two from the shop. This event is a piece of cake to clear all the milestones for, especially considering it lasts through the start of December. Probably better to spend stamina farming the weapon enhancement quests while they're boosted if you're looking for something to focus on.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Something that's probably worth knowing if you want to have a private lobby with a friend and want to add a third random – you can, but it's a totally buried option that you'll likely never find and will assume doesn't exist:

Insofar as why that's a nearly hidden feature... it's another sign of development pipelines being rushed and Engineering cobbling together a lot of things that become internally inconsistent versions of various stages of Designs where there's no time to go back and have the various regions of the app get their UI and workflows intentionally constructed by Design and rebuilt to have parity with the rest of the app.

(I have some more specific tl;dr in the video comment so as not to burden this thread with more of that) :awesomonster:

FWIW I've already got Lucia's weapon at like max OB +4 and I only bought two from the shop. This event is a piece of cake to clear all the milestones for, especially considering it lasts through the start of December. Probably better to spend stamina farming the weapon enhancement quests while they're boosted if you're looking for something to focus on.

Definitely this. As soon as you've gotten the weapon assets and maybe the Materia Boosters for Peridots from the shop, this is a GREAT time to grind for weapons (even though, unfortunately the boosted drops for weapon missions ended the day this event started, and I think it's currently just boosted EXP on missions if I remember correctly).

Also, I'm keeping fingers crossed that we actually have a bit of a lul in releases and that events will be longer. I'm hoping that part of why this event is so long specifically BECAUSE maybe it's gonna allow the Dev team to actually get some of the time that they need, since as soon as you take an app live, your workload spikes from bugs in production since anything that reaches production takes WAY longer to fix. Hopefully this also lets them not just focus on immediate breaking issues, but also leaves them more room to improve and update things as well.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Hope soon means actually soon, like within a couple weeks and not a month or more. Bluestacks kept crashing when I was trying to launch it earlier. Sometimes it just does that, other times it works perfectly.

Being honest, I'm guessing coinciding with the conclusion of the IX crossover event on December 7.

Gonna tackle the new chapter of the story this morning. Will post again if anything stands out.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Happy to see this is at least internally consistent (in CCR, Sephiroth says something different).

Screenshot_20231120-171846.png

Screenshot_20231120-215345.png

I thought it was okay. Jenova has her head, which is good. In Crisis Core Reunion, her head is encased even before Sephiroth cuts it off. Maybe someone can mod the EC model into CCR/FF7R someday.

They completely skipped over Cloud meeting his mom, and him discovering that she's been killed. But yet Zangan appears briefly!? Certainly a choice.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Especially given the new chapter that just released is the first content that extends into the story territory of Rebirth, I bet that they're going to do something like a "Live Now" announcement during The Game Awards when they have maximum visibility as a part of the overall marketing efforts.

I liked the design of the new Nibel Reactor pods, but it was surprising that they didn't even have a still of the Makonoid when they looked into the viewport. Levikron as a new enemy was nice to see used as a miniboss, as I think it's got some fun mechanics to it that could potentially scale well and make for an interesting encounter, and it makes me curious whether or not we'll also end up seeing them make use of a Horned Cripshay given that InterMISSION used some rather interesting symbolism between those two enemies.

Additionally, it is REALLY interesting that we get to have Jenova with a complete head & visible face here, given that both Remake & Crisis Core Reunion have Jenova fully obscured above the neck. It feels like actually seeing her face is a rather critical component of the intertwined elements of Sephiroth's narrative involving his mother back in The First SOLDIER and that doesn't sell quite as well when her face is hidden.

What's especially interesting about that is that there wasn't a push for design parity there with the current games for Jenova's head, and instead is matches to the Compilation versions – meanwhile the map area of the Materia Fountain is VERY clearly designed to match what appears in Rebirth as it uses more of the cold blue & dark grey color scheme, as compared to the original game's far more vibrant green & warm brown – which I mentioned back when we first started seeing that footage.

The other surprise to me was earlier on in the sequence where you get to see the Materia Fountain, it's got COMPLETELY different colors. Rather than being a tiny little piece of what seems like the warm lifeforce of the Planet shining through beside an old dying little wooded area growing in the sunlight of a canyon, the version in Rebirth is extremely cold in its color palette with none of that sense of warmth at all.

View attachment 13857View attachment 13858

That being said, since the Ever Crisis team typically seems to share HQ models that have been developed by other teams like the FFXV Behemoth (make of that what you will for the FFIX Crossover with the Black Waltz), its overall design consistency isn't something that they're overly reliable with, but it's still rather interesting seeing when and where they're clearly getting various versions of things that do/don't match.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Correctly guessed that the design of the Sephiroth weapon would be based on Kuja's hair feather and the ability would be Flare Star.

It's actually really strong. AoE magic attack with mid MATK and PATK debuffs (if Sephiroth's at 50% HP or higher) and decent non-elemental damage. At higher OB levels it becomes mid/high.

Decided to go for it even though it's a limited banner, guess I'm going to pull on every Sephiroth banner at this rate. Did two full stamp sheets and only got the two guaranteed copies, but got enough weapon parts from lower rarity dupes to hit 3-stars.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Yeah, the C. Ability of Sephiroth's new weapon is just RIDICULOUSLY good. I've been doing periodic Co-Op battles with that and having Lucia's & Glenn's +20 Event Weapons set as two of his Sub-Weapons to get max Mission Rewards super quickly.

Young Sephiroth's EASILY got the most versatility in his kit at the moment. With his Edged Wing & Training Gear he can swap over to using Ice & Shiva to be extremely effective. Not to mention that Nameless' Telluric Fury is still the only 2 ATB ability in the entire game, and makes him extremely effective for bursting down Interrupt phases. If you swap out for Cloud's Bandaged Sword & Sephiroth's Torn Wing, you've got very effective PDEF & MDEF if you're focusing on a more defensive strategy. If you've got Aerith's Sun Umbrella being able to drop MDEF & PDEF on a single target now paired with Sephiroth using Kuja's Spirit Blade to drop the PATK & MATK of all targets at once, you've got an ability to push offense really aggressively.

It does feel like the power creep rapidly undercut the utility of Tifa & Red XIII both having Limit Breaks focused on applying a double Defense or Attack debuff respectively to single targets with charge speeds of 800 rather than all other Limit Breaks being 1800 – but they are what they are, and you can still get away with some cheeky interrupts of enemy abilities by timing them correctly.

Speaking of which, if you use an attack and the animation goes far enough but the damage doesn't land because the enemy attack interrupts it, oftentimes you'll still earn the Limit Break charge but keep all the ATB Meter. It can get annoying to deal with in Co-Op when other players trigger a Limit before your attack lands, but if you know a boss's timing fairly well, sometimes you can "throw" an attack that you know won't land just to have the Limit Break. With young Sephiroth, I've been intentionally using Flare Star late just as Black Waltz 3 is going for his "Exterminate Everything" line, that way it'll charge my Limit and can immediately use it again as soon as that's cutscene ends done to charge it again. That also ensures that the second time the animation will complete before getting frozen, and Black Waltz 3 will be debuffed when landing the hit to break that freeze, which I can then immediately follow-up by hitting him with a Limit Break.

Coincidentally for me, RNGeezus has just fed me like 5 of the Mythril Type-0 Katana for Sephiroth when he launched, so it was initially that and Aonibi that were my strongest weapons, but having two buff abilities meant he didn't do much of anything ever except continually add buffs to himself as the first would expire by the time he'd applied the second and had ATB again. So I'd started swapping out Aonibi for other weapons during the events to try and find something that'd be a solid second ability for him. Coincidentally, the R. Abilities for his Mythril Type-0 Katana are Boost HP & Boost Mag. Ability Pot. – which are exactly the same two R. Abilities that Kuja's Attire grants a +10 to, so his banner ended up being particularly good for me (as aside from at least having one 5★ of the FFIX weapons for the others so that I could slowly upgrade them over time even if they never come back, they're not really ones that are set up for my lineup).

My main Solo team is currently Cloud focused on high Lightning & PATK (Murasame & Apocalypse + Judgment Bolt) with no cure and only Physical Materia, Aerith is focused on high MATK & Healing (Sun Umbrella & Fairy Tale + Healing Wind) with only Magic Materia, while Young Sephiroth works as a more balanced support (Mythril Type-0 Katana & Kuja's Spirit Blade + Ardent Flare) always having Cura to be a focused target healer, and whatever Materia are most useful as a backup, as his other weapon gives him Barrier, Heal, & Regen so he's unlikely to get taken out, and can serve as an anchor to keep everyone else up.

The C. Abilities I'm more curious about now are ones I haven't had a good chance to use yet like Cloud's Organics having Stun & Lucia's Black Rifle having Silence. Those ones are the things that it oftentimes seems like bosses will be immune to, and even if not while the 20%-30% chance may be larger than the 10% Crit chance, but it still feels like they're not QUITE dependable enough to use tactically. Especially the way that the EX battles have become centered on a single tactic solution with extremely tight execution (which is also why I've just been skipping them), it seems like abilities that only work 1/3rd to 1/5th of the time and cost 4 ATB per attempt just don't really have the tight impact that they'd need ...but if Stun or Silence were any more reliable they would be INSANELY oppressive, so I'm curious how those things will end up being used since they're SUCH niche abilities at the moment you can't cover it by just equipping your who team with Silence / Stun weapons to give yourselves the 1/3 3x odds that essentially break even.

Speaking of guesses, I've got one insofar as what's coming up soon (and not really related to the above bit)

Given that the listing for Ever Crisis on Steam dropped a little bit back and the FFIX Crossover ends on December 7th and we now know the December schedule, and that also just so happens to be focused around the same day as The Game Awards, I am fully expecting the Steam version of the game to be a shadow dropped as something close to if not just "now available" sort of release. From a Marketing standpoint, you want the main menu & app icon to be changed back to something that's cross-promotional for the high possibility that we'll be getting the more story-centric Rebirth trailer, and I expect that they want to lead in to that with Ever Crisis given that The Game Awards is one of, if not THE best public platform to the NA/EU audience who are far less interested in the Mobile gaming space as compared to PC.

Especially since they got the "Nibelheim Flashback" story content in, and they have an established core playerbase it's very much set up to have its best shot at gaining a more active audience and to essentially be the vessel through which they channel a lot of upcoming Rebirth teases. I would also highly suspect that Ever Crisis is still gonna have to contend with the face that the additional server side work and other things needed for that release will probably keep that team rather busy and it'll feel a little bit rocky for a bit still.

I've keeping my fingers crossed that that likely launch will allow Ever Crisis to continue to be the sort of soft FFVII Remake Project lifeline for little bits and pieces of content while the final title in the trilogy is under development, and the best test case for whether or not it can facilitate that sort of a role is over the next 3 months leading in to the release of Rebirth.

I am quite curious how much they're going to scale back on events during Rebirth's launch since, ostensibly the VAST majority of their playerbase will not be sinking their time into Ever Crisis during at least the first several weeks of Rebirth's launch. Fingers crossed that's gonna get their team a well-deserved break to catch their breaths.

Last edited:

roku

Pro Adventurer
Maybe but cissnei was in the summer event and hasn't been seen since. That I said I expect the next story update to be crisis core

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

Exactly on time for The Game Awards as a publicity announcement as expected. :monster:

Related, this is almost certainly why they have separate stamina currency for the Christmas event, so that the wave of new players doesn't have to choose between ramping up on the game and being able to participate in the event.

Well, look who showed up in the latest chapter of the Christmas event...

View attachment 14072

Guessing she'll probably be joining the roster by the end of the month.

I figure that there's SOME possibility of this being a part of the Steam Launch, so that everyone has a brand new character to dive in with together all at once, and the new people will get to be ramping up all at once. Either way, nice ta see her making her way in, and glad that it seems like she's probably ready to join in.

New Season Pass Wallpaper depicts a moment of camaraderie between Sephiroth and Glenn.

View attachment 14073

The English title for the wallpaper is "I never wanted to be" which seems to indicate that this scene is from Lucia's point of view after she pats him on the head, when they're discussing how Sephiroth was basically manufactured into being the hero poster child for the new SOLDIER program, and they finally break the ice over the previously awkward tension that existed between them before with Glenn patting in on the back exactly like this.

2:09 if the timestamp is wonky.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Side note, did two more 10 pulls on the Kuja Sephiroth banner and got enough copies to OB+6. Actually my first OB+6 gacha weapon and the power boost feels totally worth it, with the PATK and MATK debuff now stacking up to high and Flare Star itself doing markedly more damage than my single target 4-star Ruinra (especially when it hits additional targets).

Hopefully a worthwhile investment in the long term.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Source: Sensor Tower (alternative site)

Monthly revenue, November 2023 (mobile only)

Global server

* September: 4M
* October: 3M (-25%)
* November: 1.9M (-36.7%)

Japan server

* September: 8M
* October: 6M (-25%)
* November: 4M (-33.3%)

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Ever wondered the average number of pulls it takes to acquire an event costume? Let's do the math! Below are the stamp percentages listed in the game:

1 stamp -> 45.00 %
2 stamps -> 35.00 %
3 stamps -> 15.92 %
4 stamps -> 2.02 %
5 stamps -> 1.50 %
6 stamps -> 0.55 %
12 stamps -> 0.01 %

Let's do 10,000 pulls. Hypothetically! With the percentages above, we can expect to receive...

1 stamp -> 4500 times
2 stamps -> 3500 times
3 stamps -> 1592 times
4 stamps -> 202 times
5 stamps -> 150 times
6 stamps -> 55 times
12 stamps -> 1 times

Altogether, that's 18,176 stamps! So how many stamps is that per pull? Let's divide by the number of pulls...

18,176 / 10,000 = 1.8176 stamps per pull

And if it takes 12 stamps to get a costume...

12 / 1.8176 = 6.602112676056338028169014084507 pulls to acquire a costume

In crystals that's...

6.6... x 3,000 = 19,806.338028169014084507042253521 crystals to acquire a costume

Obviously, you can't spend exactly 19,806 crystals. So let's round it off. In EC, it takes about 6-7 pulls to acquire a costume, or 18-21k crystals.

Hope this helps someone!

Last edited:

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Ever wondered the average number of pulls it takes to acquire an event costume? Let's do the math! Below are the stamp percentages listed in the game:

[snip]

Obviously, you can't spend exactly 19,806 crystals. So let's round it off. In EC, it takes about 6-7 pulls to acquire a costume, or 18-21k crystals.

Hope this helps someone!

For the record, 27k (nine pulls) is what I'd suggest keeping hoarded in most cases, as that also accounts for a run of bad luck.

When looking at gacha rates I really like to also consider the odds of good luck and bad luck scenarios, and then contextualize that not in terms of your own personal luck but rather the way pulls will trend across the entire playerbase.

So, for example, the average player will get the costume within 7 pulls (21k). There are a few different scenarios that could get you that outcome, with the odds of getting 12 stamps in seven pulls at about 40%. You have about a 30% chance to need more pulls and about a 30% chance to need fewer.

Your odds of getting the costume within 9 pulls (27k) is about 95%, requiring only that you don't whiff with eight or nine 1x stamp pulls. Your odds of whiffing with 12 consecutive 1x stamp pulls (36k) is only about 0.6%.

Your odds of getting it within 6 pulls (18k) are around 24%, I believe, most typically by lucking out with two 3x stamp pulls and then getting an even split of 1x stamps and 2x stamps for the remainder.

Anyway, to recontextualize that in terms of the entire playerbase, let's say hypothetically that all 7 million people who downloaded the game pulled for Masamune Gear. That means that about 2.8 million players got it within seven pulls and 350k players got really unlucky and had to spend 30,000 or more crystals, with about 42k of them getting supremely unlucky and having to spend 36,000 crystals.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Just a reminder that Mobius had Young Seph first. :monster:

maxresdefault.jpg

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer

Steam version is now available to download, though it's still in maintenance so you can't actually get into the game or link your account just yet.

Looks like launch time is in an hour.

They've got achievements, trading cards, and steam point rewards (wallpapers and emotes).

Game has windowed fullscreen and windowed modes, seems like 16:9 aspect ratios only, 30/60/120 fps options with vsync disabled, fully customizable keybindings with an option to show or hide the key guide, cursor lock, and mouse acceleration which I needed to turn off to correct slow cursor speeds. Otherwise looks like the same settings as the mobile version, with four graphics options (low, medium, high, ultra), anti-aliasing on/off, and shadows on/off.

Just going by the menus for now, it runs far, far better than BlueStacks.

Top Bottom