FFVII: Ever Crisis Announced

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
It's moments like these where no longer having a US-based Google Account bring me pain. I do hope that there're lots of folks who can get some good capture of the Beta stuff for the non-NA/JP folk.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
The reason for the one-at-a-time character controls has some merit to it. First and foremost is that you get a mobile-focused audience drawn in to the same types of mechanics that Remake/Rebirth uses as a means to convert an audience from mobile to check out some of the console games. Second is that you get it a bit closer to the original turn-based RPGs, but you keep it modern not only so that it interests general players, but because whenever you're making something like this, the original games themselves still need to have their own purpose, so it won't ever duplicate the mechanics of FFVII or Crisis Core too closely. Instead, it'll have a middle ground that's bridging the experience with a more modern take.

Additionally, near the end of the famitsu interview, Shoichi Ichkawa mentions GvE (Group vs. Enemy) where you're fighting in tandem with other players. That gameplay also works a way for them to have a setup where in some multiplayer challenge scenarios, you could have everyone play an individual character, and the battles are still a team of 3 but with all 3 controlled directly by a player. That's a way that a team taking on a big challenge would be a bit more powerful than having AI teammates, but it would maintain the same cadence and gameplay as when you play normally. That would be easier to implement technically, and without having to alter the combat mechanics at all it allows the players to focus on maximizing the gameplay skills that they have, while narrowing their focus on one set of tasks – which is what you want for bigger challenges.

That's speculation, but when you're looking at implementing a new game that's supplementing its budget with some features of a live-service mobile game, you have to think to what sort of ways work best to not only keep players engaged, but give them a way to bring in new players. Since those higher challenges have better loot drops, that's an easy way for a couple people to get their friend to join in with them for a full party and slowly get the other people more involved over time.

In that respect, it's easiest to think about those things mirroring the loose model of Pokémon GO, where most of the stuff you do is single-player-focused, but there are multiplayer Raids that allow for getting really strong rewards that are easier the more people you have involved. As a general model that's a good way to balance both groups that The First SOLDIER didn't have as a Battle Royale game, where that was gradually narrowing down its player base over time rather than expanding it, due to the nature of the type of game it is, and the limited medium.

What baffles me is that the awesome Ever Crisis wallpaper that they released was only done so on Twitter, so it's tiny and compressed to hell like all images on Twitter are. On the official EC website, the "key visual asset" used for the background fades to black at the bottom and cuts off the full image, and the SE News Site has a full HD version, but with the Pre-Registration text embedded over it.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So just have potential multiplayer supplant control of party members. The way FFVI did 30 years ago
As I also mentioned, having the single character centric focus is part of easing in the mobile-focused audience to the console games, by having it more closely match the current way that Remake manages it ATB-style combat. Final Fantasy VII was always pushing closer towards the dynamics of an ARPG even before Crisis Core or Remake. Not only that, but Ever Crisis also has to have a uniquely singular type of gameplay that works for all of the Compilation titles that it includes.

Final Fantasy VII is already adapted into a very close version of that combat style, Crisis Core used something that's closer to that combat style with only a single character, as did Dirge of Cerberus, and even Before Crisis is also more actively focused on a single player Turk as well despite there being a large number of Turks to choose from. The majority of Ever Crisis' gameplay will be focused to accommodate games that only had one active character anyway – but all of those have the possibility of having some NPCs join and assist you at various points in the story, and so when designing a unified combat system that works for ALL of those titles... it just doesn't make ANY sense at all to do it any other way.

Elkazor

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Cinder Wing
So far I haven't seen anything from Before Crisis, Advent Children, or Dirge shown during the trailers for Ever Crisis. Only stuff from Crisis Core and OG have been shown. That has me a bit concerned, as I would love the West to finally have an official release of Before Crisis.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So far I haven't seen anything from Before Crisis, Advent Children, or Dirge shown during the trailers for Ever Crisis. Only stuff from Crisis Core and OG have been shown. That has me a bit concerned, as I would love the West to finally have an official release of Before Crisis.
There's a Famitsu interview that explains Final Fantasy VII, The First SOLDIER, & Crisis Core are the content available at launch, as well as that the Before Crisis content will be the game's first post-launch Compilation content update. Additionally the teaser trailer featured the other Compilation titles including Advent Children & Dirge of Cerberus, so that's all still set to be included post-launch since it'll make it easier to extend the lifespan of the game that way and have maintain a more active player base.

I'd expect that we'll either be getting the Dirge of Cerberus update to coincide with Vincent's design being revealed for Rebirth (because that's a great cross-promotional marketing opportunity), or depending on how much time it takes to get those game adaptations done, it might even be a post-Rebirth update especially since Dirge is the last chronological Compilation story, so it might serve better after the bit part 2 of the Remake project is already out as well as Vincent's popularity being a means to get a bunch of fan investment into checking it out. That's most heavily dependent on development lifecycles though.

Fryguy07

Rookie Adventurer
i am installing the closed beta now :sadpanda:

edit; nevermind, installed it but it keeps timing out when i try to log in lol. guess i'll try again later
Hopefully it works out. I was hoping I would get closed beta today, I guess I would have found out by now

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Famitsu's got some footage of the Closed Beta Test from their new article.

Gotta say that I'm really loving the ways that this takes the presentations from the source games and gives them an interesting reframing. The musical choices and arrangements are solid, and it honestly looks fun as hell to play. Unfortunately I don't have an NA Google account any more, so I'll have to wait for the proper release to try it since I'm in the EU now, but I'm looking forward to more people giving it a go until then!

Top Bottom