• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII Iceberg

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
With all that New Year holiday buzz, I somehow overlooked this entire thing. Brilliant! I'm in the same boat with those who would like some explanation about this and that. That's astonishing how much info there is, both facts and rumors, and how much I still don't know.

NERDS ARE HOLY AND MUST BE PROTECTED AT ALL COSTS.

Remember that, TLS.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Does anyone have an article about Square suing Versus Books over that unofficial guide? The best I can find is Casey Lou referencing the lawsuit in and interview he did, but I'd like more specific information on what the lawsuit was actually founded on.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I keep seeing some weird conspiracy sort of thing regarding the original English VAs being replaced for FF7R. I don’t know if that could fit since this is an OG iceberg but the main reason I bring it up is could somebody explain what the hell all of that is about?

It seems like something I probably shouldn’t look into but my morbid curiosity will inevitably get the better of me. I dunno, I just noticed recently that sometimes I’ll see some YouTube comment or Twitter reply going on about something with the CW network?

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
I keep seeing some weird conspiracy sort of thing regarding the original English VAs being replaced for FF7R. I don’t know if that could fit since this is an OG iceberg but the main reason I bring it up is could somebody explain what the hell all of that is about?
Well, from what I've seen on Twitter, fans keep wishing for the original VAs to the point of calling for signing petitions and spamming SE account. I haven't seen any conspiracy theory behind that though. Most people seem to be most displeased with Zack's English VA Caleb Pierce since the voice tone and the delivery are drastically different from his Crisis Core counterpart Rick Gomez. Apart from that, some fans mention Caleb leaving somewhat homophobic statements, which complicates matters for English-speaking shippers to some extent. Don't know if that's true either.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Well, from what I've seen on Twitter, fans keep wishing for the original VAs to the point of calling for signing petitions and spamming SE account. I haven't seen any conspiracy theory behind that though. Most people seem to be most displeased with Zack's English VA Caleb Pierce since the voice tone and the delivery are drastically different from his Crisis Core counterpart Rick Gomez. Apart from that, some fans mention Caleb leaving somewhat homophobic statements, which complicates matters for English-speaking shippers to some extent. Don't know if that's true either.
I wouldn't take anything on Twitter too seriously

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Most people seem to be most displeased with Zack's English VA Caleb Pierce since the voice tone and the delivery are drastically different from his Crisis Core counterpart Rick Gomez.
I do like Zack’s original VA more but I need more from the new guy to give a fair comparison I think. I don’t know anything about the homophobia either but it’d be unfortunate if that were the case.

I haven't seen any conspiracy theory behind that though.
I call it a conspiracy just because of the nature of it all and the way people write about it seems pretty tin foil hat-like but I think this video is associated with those petitions?
I have no idea how legit any of that video is but it’s pretty much the same kinds of claims I’ve noticed repeatedly, I just didn’t realize how often I saw this stuff being parroted on social media until recently. Personally, I like the new voices way more than the old ones. Watching Advent Children again after playing FF7R and even watching the FF7R trailer with the old VAs practically hurt my ears.

The Blindfolded

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
The Birdwatcher
As someone who appreciates the guts out of Sephiroth and has for around 20 years, I still cannot like George Newbern's portrayal of him- his voice is too old, too deep. He's okay for a stand-in of the character, but as a total embodiment, I still disagree. Sephiroth's between 25-30 years old- he shouldn't sound like he's 40-50-ish. I know they're still keeping the Japanese voice actor for a long time- but he gets the idea of the character down better than Newbern- arrogance. Newbern just gets Sephiroth's monotone down and his menace to a degree (I guess professionalism, too)- barely his insanity or intelligence- which I think the Japanese voice actor gets better, too, without sounding biased here.

Another reason why I liked Lance Bass as Sephiroth's voice actor, despite the higher-pitch and greater lean towards a "teenage sound". His voice was pretty unique- his arrogance on point, and he sounded sophisticated and intelligent.

Well, from what I've seen on Twitter, fans keep wishing for the original VAs to the point of calling for signing petitions and spamming SE account.

Aside from perhaps Barret and Tifa, the newer voice actors are much better. Even Cloud's and I really enjoyed Burton's rendition of Cloud. I guess there's purists around, anyways.

Also, I think that there's no way Newbern would have nailed the: "I am?" line. The new voice actor starts sounding like he's unhinged and crazy and sophisticated then. Very Sephiroth-esque.

I haven't seen any conspiracy theory behind that though. Most people seem to be most displeased with Zack's English VA Caleb Pierce since the voice tone and the delivery are drastically different from his Crisis Core counterpart Rick Gomez.

And the new dude sounds better. I am not a fan of nostalgia for Crisis Core- I remember when that game was still in development. The emotional beats are still cheap in the game, but fans fall for them all the time. I see reaction videos on YouTube with fans crying over Zack getting killed after defeating 1000 soldiers, and I'm like :/ or :(. I really, honestly don't care (not to sound heartless, but I don't), especially since the original scene was more intimate between Zack and Cloud, with Zack getting killed on accident after checking on Cloud's condition. To me, it's more personal and caring if Zack decided to check on Cloud, pick him back up, or go back to fetch him, rather than, "here, go hide behind this rock while I fight off 1000 soldiers". All the better if Zack got gunned down because of it, since it shows that he cares enough to possibly make a risk in order to see if Cloud's okay, rather than making a heroic stand, when Zack knows that Cloud's well being is going to okay as long as Cloud stays there or if he makes his stand. The scene is honestly one of the most superficial reboots/retcons of a scene in video games that I've ever seen to date.

Fans still want Rick Gomez because I think he voices (and also embodies through the game) a very stereotypical form of a hero from Crisis Core, without giving thought to morality, love, or compassion in smaller ways. I dislike those types of heroes- who are heroic or honorable on the outside but care little for the smaller details or for the people they are protecting themselves. But it's appealing and emotional to see someone die after hanging on for so long for many fans- but it's hollow to me compared to Zack caring for Cloud, which I did like in the original and to some extent in Crisis Core- but not in respect to his death scene in CC.

Last edited:

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
As someone who appreciates the guts out of Sephiroth and has for around 20 years, I still cannot like George Newbern's portrayal of him
I played a lot of Dissidia Duodecim years before I first got into FF7 when remake came out so I guess I’m mildly attached to Cloud, Tifa, and Sephiroth’s old voices but I still don’t quite get why Sephiroth’s new voice in particular gets so heavily scrutinized by some old fans.

I suppose Cloud’s new voice sounds close enough to his old voice but with more expressiveness and I’d argue Tifa’s new voice fits waaaaaaay better than the old one. But old Sephiroth just sounds too...“cool”?

but he gets the idea of the character down better than Newbern- arrogance. Newbern just gets Sephiroth's monotone down and his menace to a degree (I guess professionalism, too)- barely his insanity or intelligence- which I think the Japanese voice actor gets better, too, without sounding biased here.
This statement alone is making me seriously consider replaying FF7R in Japanese. Sephiroth is such a fascinating villain to me because despite his calm and composed demeanor, I somehow take him more seriously when he sounds grandiose but delusional, like some kind of fanatical cult leader.

He’s such a dork that you just wanna get in his face and laugh at how stupid he sounds when he’s rambling on with his “chosen by the planet” nonsense...and then he kills your family and destroys your hometown. I find that a hell of a lot more menacing than when Sephiroth is played too seriously.

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
I don't think the "tall and intense bishonen" voice type really has an equivalent in the English Language. *We just don't talk that way.*

Tough guys who are really really intelligent are not... uhm, really a thing in Western Storytelling. Generally, characters will range on a sliding scale between Toughness and Intelligence. The smarter someone is, the less tough they are, and the tougher they are, the less smart they are.

Sephiroth is both, and that's a line that Western character actors seldom have to walk.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I definitely get some big chunibyo vibes from Sephiroth except, y’know, actually a threat. At least to my ears, his new English VA captures that spirit pretty well and actually makes him sound insane rather than the old VA sounding...look, I’ll just say “sexy”. Sexy Sephiroth. Sexy Safer Sephiroth. Stupid Sexy Safer Sephiroth.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I really don't care that much about the English VAs because the first time I heard anything FF7 with VAs was the Japanese VAs in Crisis Core. And... none of the ENG VAs have really nailed the feel of JP Sephrioth. They're always... to smooth and feel like they're overly trying for the baritone vocal feel. Instead of just... having it and doing it effortlessly. Like... it's funny... but ENG Sephiorth always sounds like he's trying too hard at what he's doing rather than asuming it'll all work out. I guess... they're not arrogant enough? So it feels like they are trying to be arrogant. And that "trying to be arrogant" has never been part of Sephrioth's characterization in my head. He's always been that.

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
Well technically it isn't arrogance if the person actually has the ability, is the thing. An arrogant person *thinks* they are better, but is only showing arrogance because deep down, they aren't *sure* they are better. Sephiroth is absolutely sure he is the most perfect being in existence.

What the English VA work is missing, in my opinion, is that sense of absolute self-assuredness. It's a bit too coy, while also at times coming off a bit too singsongy. From the game's characterization of him, Sephiroth is cold. Like, emotionlessly sure that he is completely superior to everyone.

Idk if that's the vibe I get when I hear his voice in English. Western culture has a bit more liberal of an attitude when it comes to expressing emotions. It also doesn't sound easy to do, in terms of acting.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Tough guys who are really really intelligent are not... uhm, really a thing in Western Storytelling. Generally, characters will range on a sliding scale between Toughness and Intelligence. The smarter someone is, the less tough they are, and the tougher they are, the less smart they are.

I mostly agree, but Spider-Man might have a word with you later :monster:

Top Bottom