SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 17 Spoiler Discussion

RhinoKart

Pro Adventurer
I think the Rufus fight is fun. Frustrating, but ultimately fun. I don't care how he's so strong and agile, I like it and that's enough for me to justify it. It's like the best part about real-time action combat. I wonder how it'll be in hard mode.

Oh, now I've read the hard mode spoiler. Well, not that I didn't suspect though.

I'm sorry! I did put it in a spolier tag, but maybe posting in this thread was a bad idea.

Gazzdw

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Gaz
Just finished this chapter and escaped the building- thoughts (with some backtracking on previous 1-2 chapters):

- Blows my mind how every single character acts and sounds as they have in my head since 1997, how the hell have they done this? They all have such chemistry as well!
- Red's introduction was perfect, preferred it to the OG (but did not like the scene where Hojo paralyses him). Im assuming there will be a scene in later parts that gives some revenge payback relief for Red.
- Hojo characterisation - beyond perfect.
- Clouds headaches before going to Aeriths room were fantastically done.
- The Drum, loved it.
- I am confused if the party saw Seph when he cut the bridge in half? Later when Jenova has been stolen Tifa remarks in shock like "who would do such a thing". Surely she would know!?
- Did not care for Seph showing up here one bit before the drum
- So very dissapointed in the removal of the prison/blood trail scene. Had nowhere near the same feel to it compared to OG. Definitely one of the top 5 moments of the OG and I am pretty annoyed they removed it as its such a defining moment. 1 of 3 things I hated about this chapter.
- Loved every single boss fight over last 2 chapters.
- How they handled Wedges supposed death was outright crap. He is dragged off screen by whispers and it fades to black before we see anything? Totally sucks away any emotion of that scene that it tries to convey. It baffles me how they can write such incredible set pieces but yet produce this!? ANOTHER scene where whispers drag someone off screen as it goes black, makes me angry. They either should of left his death in sector 7 or had him die at the hands of someone else in the Shinra building.
- Barret and Pres Shinra scene was awesome a part from those damn whispers and being revived. The scene following the Jenova fight was one of my favourites of the game (minus the resurrection).
- Bothers me that we don't know who got the Pres hanging off the ledge.
- Overall I hate the inclusion of the whispers, they have added nothing and only muddied or full on ruined scenes. end of.

Chapter 16 and most of 17 were probably my favourites of the game (closely followed by 1 and Wall Market).

This chapter could have benefited massively from the manta "less is more"

.....Dreading Chapter 18.

Last edited:
It's been nearly ten months since anyone posted in this thread (!) but now I have a question. If you visit the battle simulator on Hojo's floor, there's a fight you can pick called, I think "Mayor Is Best". The blurb says you will fight against enemies specially selected for the sim by a top executive who is a secret ally of the Mayor. I thought the enemies might provide some clue as to who that executive is (secretly I was hoping for Tseng), but they're just a couple of cutters, so... Scarlet?

What's the secret hard mode enemy at the bottom of the menu?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
No, that's the fight you do from the AVALANCHE mole who tests you before giving you the keycard.

The guy you have to say, "the mayor" and he responds with, "the best."

That's what that fight is. You can redo it to improve your top score.

No, the blurb that comes with the "Three Person team v. Mayor is Best" challenge literally says your opponents were chosen by a top Shinra executive who is a secret ally of Mayor Domino. And I'm wondering who that top Shinra exec is.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's the mole. He's a "top Shinra executive."

He's not one of the board executives but he's an executive. He says he developed the test to determine if Cloud and the others were the real deal. It's the same one.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I am confused if the party saw Seph when he cut the bridge in half? Later when Jenova has been stolen Tifa remarks in shock like "who would do such a thing". Surely she would know!?

This is Remake!Tifa in a nutshell, she does this in every chapter and is made to look like the complete idiot of the group. It's like an unironic version of Sigourney Weaver's character's character in Galaxy Quest.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
How would Tifa have any knowledge or understanding whatsoever of Jenova or the relationship Sephiroth has with it? No one else would learn that until much later.

All she would see is giant test tube utterly destroyed with a slime trail, how is that stupid? That's the first time I've ever heard someone say the Remake made Tifa of all characters, look stupid.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's some serious nitpicking. Exposition is exposition. Her dialogue is no worst than anyone else's, she's setting up the scene with observation. It doesn't make her dumb, commenting in surprise over something shocking like a trap.

Cloud makes flat-footed commentary at times, I guess he's dumb too.

BioTeach

Pro Adventurer
I think alot of times these kinds of obvious statements are more for the observer/player's benefit than they are for actual in game conversation. Sometimes it's the quickest or easiest way to convey a character's thoughts. Unfortunately alot of thoughts sound unnecesaary or out of place when spoken out loud (such as Tifa's "we're being watched" statement)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I think alot of times these kinds of obvious statements are more for the observer/player's benefit than they are for actual in game conversation. Sometimes it's the quickest or easiest way to convey a character's thoughts. Unfortunately alot of thoughts sound unnecesaary or out of place when spoken out loud (such as Tifa's "we're being watched" statement)

Most famously Cloud's listing his physiological experiences with his sadness :monster:

Top Bottom