SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 18 Spoiler Discussion

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
Yeah it just kind of makes your heart ache. Some people are really pouring out their love for this game and they have no idea of what is coming. But, I also wanna see how they will react. A lot of them are straight up calling it a masterpiece without having finished it. Wanna see how is that going to stand after that ending.

A friend of mine outright hated the ending, but he's coming around to it after we had a fairly lengthy discussion; he's on the same page as I am, the idea is intriguing and has potential but the way it's introduced is clunky and heavy-handed. Also the Whisper boss fight kind of sucks, which sticks out like a sore thumb amongst a cavalcade of absolutely amazing boss battles.

Lex

Administrator
One of the key issues I have with what happened is the extra-meta song and dance to prep for story delineations, when they really could have just gone ahead and made those changes without the "whispers". You can plot twist Zack being alive without shoehorning in a Kingdom Hearts destiny monster to do it. All of that is for the benefit of long-time fans like ourselves who know or expect what is going to happen, newcomers will be almost entirely clueless (and confused as fuck).

I just wish so hard the hour between walking through the smoke on the highway (eyeroll) up to the Sephiroth fight hadn't happened. Everything else - twisty cutscenes included - would have been fine. I might even have been fine with the destiny plot being rolled into the next title. The way it's shoehorned into the end of this one feels so wacky.

Anyway starting my NG+ Hard Mode playthrough on Twitch in a bit. I'll post my stream link here.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'm at a weird point where whilst I didn't necessarily like Chapter 18 or the manner in which things were portrayed, I am interested in where they take things from here.

A friend of mine outright hated the ending, but he's coming around to it after we had a fairly lengthy discussion; he's on the same page as I am, the idea is intriguing and has potential but the way it's introduced is clunky and heavy-handed.

What's the fair market rate to call you up and have you distill any complicated feelings one has about a situation to its bare essence?

Celes777

Pro Adventurer
AKA
That's actually really poignant.

You think you are getting a faithful remake but you are not

I don't know where that thought comes from, probably from the team thinking they are going to stop Sephiroth but instead they just feed the black materia to him.

Anyway, I have a few friends who are really pissed at the ending, like, rate the game 0/10 pissed. I haven't gotten there myself yet so I can't judge if it really badly done. But they devoted so much in expanding the OG world in previous chapters. I probably haven't played enough games but I really haven't seen this level of obsession in world building in any other games. This man are sick! With that said, are they really gonna wipe out everything they built in the past 23 years and take the story to a complete new narrative...?

In my worst nightmare, story becomes totally different. Ancients are the bad guys, or Cetra is Jenova, or whatever bullshit they come up. Everyone changed the future, Cloud and Sephyyyy live together in peace and opened up a delivery and murder service :monster: Aerith and Tifa get married

Personally I don't really think they will use that ending as a free ticket to change the plot....

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
oh theres already some 4chan "leaks" about future entries... if true (highly improbable) they want to go the multiple endings route.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
The kind of weirdness that "doesn't work" and people find annoying is weirdness for the sake of weirdness. Yoko Taro's weirdness usually has an underlying logic to it in the world of the game that matches all the other weird stuff in the game. His games are also mysteries largley, where the characters in the game are figuring out what is actually going on around them. This includes designing the game in such a way that the player plays through the events of the game several times over by design, but each time, the player knows more and more about what is actually going on. So yeah... Yoko Taro's game are weird. They also know they are weird and give the player time to figure out the weirdness. Most importantly, they don't feel... condescending towards the player with the weirdness.

The ending of FFVIIR feels like... weirdness for the sake of weirdness. And for a large sub-set of the players, it kinda feels condescending in a "yes, we know you want the story of the OG, but we'll literally rise above that in-game to keep it from coming about" way. Like... the weirdness doesn't feel like "genuine" weirdness. It feels "fake".
Oh I agree Yoko Taro does weirdness better than Nomura/Nojima, I just don't personally feel like their "weirdness" is condescending, more just silliness and/or stuff for the sake of spectacle. Which personally I don't feel drags down the rest, so I come away feeling neutral to fine with the Remake's first installment ending.

This is why I’m in the “it’ll end being mostly the same” boat. If they wanted to fundamentally change the narrative the way many people are assuming they will, I think they would’ve made a stronger choice in showing its differences, not just a tacked on climax that leaves the characters exactly where they were in the original.

I’m ambivalent towards the last chapter. I’d put money on it being a clumsily executed attempt at a third act within the first act of a narrative and not them flipping the script entirely at the eleventh hour. But I do agree it wasn’t well executed and it’s certainly my least favorite part of a game that pretty much astounded me for a lot of it
Same, I am also in the same boat that the major plot beats are still going to happen. The ending was more for final boss climax spectacle than anything else, I think.

oh theres already some 4chan "leaks" about future entries... if true (highly improbable) they want to go the multiple endings route.
I think anything from 4chan, especially this early can be safely discarded as bullshit, since the next installments are likely still pretty early in development.

Last edited:

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
wouldnt trust 4chan in my dying breath

oh man....this ending is gonna be a doozy. The amount of hate I see in every ending thread I looked is....astounding. The worst part is people resorting to stupid arguments like, "square enix virgin, squaresoft chad" or "dur dur nomura". I really wanna see how more of the the "big names" like streamers and stuff will give out their opinions. Specially Max's. He is been quite an inspiration to many in the Remake road.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Same to be honest. I feel like we got the question of "how close will this stick to the OG's story" answered and all that's left to do is watch it play out. For better or for worse. I don't think a lot of us got the answer we hoped for though.

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Yoshinori Kitase: I’m looking forward to seeing the fans’ theories on social media regarding what could happen now. We will keep in touch with everyone so we can all make this project grow together.”
I really did not need to know that it sounds like they don't know what exactly is going to happen in the games after the Remake...

Eerie

Fire and Blood
LOL they bathe in those sort of comments, that's why they did that ending, they love it when fans argue about the game... It shows the interest fans have for the game, it elevates the game to the "cult game" that FFVII and a few other games have. That's also why they have tried to appease shippers for the LTD, not understanding why the LTD exists in the first place.

Top Bottom