SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 18 Spoiler Discussion

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
You don't see the terrier Stamp anywhere in the game OTHER then drawings made by child Aerith in her old room in the Shinra building, next to a booklet with beagle Stamp on it. I feel it's foreshadowing that this is what Stamp looks like somewhere only Aerith can perceive.

Wait, there was a drawing of terrier Stamp in Aerith's old room? I looked through the cutscene where Aerith explains the Whispers, but I can't find terrier Stamp. Does anyone have a screenshot of it?

I spent 88 hours on my playthrough. Two weekends and my entire vacation on this game.

Was going to write so many more posts about my impressions and observations. Was even going to have fun pointing out some more flaws, like making a montage video of how ridiculously many NPC lines that Ch16 re-used from Ch13 and Ch14.
80% of NPC lines in Shinra HQ is actually slum dialogue re-used.

But it's all so meaningless now. Chapters 1 - 16 are almost undiluted greatness. But the ending renders all those positive emotions into a distant memory. I won't be going for all trophies. Not gonna play this on Hard Mode, despite how awesome the gameplay is. There's just no point in it.

My First Class pre-order copy of the game is still in its plastic wrapping. I was planning to unwrap it after I had cleared the game on my standard copy, so that I could look inside the art book and import the DLC. Won't be doing that now.

LegendarySaiyan

AKA: SalihGuclu
I just wanted to say that we can't use the Sector 7 plate discussion in the ending as a proof of alternate timeline or universe theory anymore. I am at Chp.13, looking for Wedge and I stand exactly where Marle stood in the ending. You can compare these shots if you would like to.
1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg

To make it easier I drew where the Seventh Heaven sign is put down in the ending scene
Yeah, I know I forgot "H" on Seventh on the right side :P3.jpg

So when you look up to see how it looks like from where Marle stood in the ending. This is what you will see in Chp.13.
5.jpg

As you can see, it does not match with the ending scene. In Chp.13 we are looking at the middle/main pillar while in the ending we are looking at what I believe is Reactor 8.

My point is that this ending scene can't possibly help us in any way as it makes no sense at all with the positioning of the main pillar, plate and the reactor in one scene and then it changes in another scene, the ending. So we can just cross this part off from our lists when trying to solve the mystery which is the ending :) Just wanted to let you guys know.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I just wanted to say that we can't use the Sector 7 plate discussion in the ending as a proof of alternate timeline or universe theory anymore. I am at Chp.13, looking for Wedge and I stand exactly where Marle stood in the ending. You can compare these shots if you would like to.

To make it easier I drew where the Seventh Heaven sign is put down in the ending scene
Yeah, I know I forgot "H" on Seventh on the right side :PView attachment 5633

So when you look up to see how it looks like from where Marle stood in the ending. This is what you will see in Chp.13.

As you can see, it does not match with the ending scene. In Chp.13 we are looking at the middle/main pillar while in the ending we are looking at what I believe is Reactor 8.

My point is that this ending scene can't possibly help us in any way as it makes no sense at all with the positioning of the main pillar, plate and the reactor in one scene and then it changes in another scene, the ending. So we can just cross this part off from our lists when trying to solve the mystery which is the ending :) Just wanted to let you guys know.
I also made a post a number of pages back also disproving the "ending sequence is an alternate timeline" theory: https://thelifestream.net/forums/th...-spoiler-discussion.22424/page-58#post-850866

Also many others have documented various visual inconsistencies throughout the game as well, like the amount of rubble/debris in Chapter 13 and 15 not matching each other, or the Sector 5 slums using the Sector 6 plate/skybox, etc.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I spent 88 hours on my playthrough. Two weekends and my entire vacation on this game.

Was going to write so many more posts about my impressions and observations. Was even going to have fun pointing out some more flaws, like making a montage video of how ridiculously many NPC lines that Ch16 re-used from Ch13 and Ch14.

But it's all so meaningless now. Chapters 1 - 16 are almost undiluted greatness. But the ending renders all those positive emotions into a distant memory. I won't be going for all trophies. Not gonna play this on Hard Mode, despite how awesome the gameplay is. There's just no point in it.

My First Class pre-order copy of the game is still in its plastic wrapping. I was planning to unwrap it after I had cleared the game on my standard copy, so that I could look inside the art book and import the DLC. Won't be doing that now.

I feel you, but if it helps, as time has passed I've found myself lingering more on the 43 hours of enjoyable memories than the ~1.5 hours of stupid.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield

I'm so sorry

Last edited:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate

Sorry that your experience was that bad due to the ending. Mine is the total opposite, I can't wait for part 2. Even more so than I was for part 1

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Wait, there was a drawing of terrier Stamp in Aerith's old room? I looked through the cutscene where Aerith explains the Whispers, but I can't find terrier Stamp. Does anyone have a screenshot of it?
20200419_004631.jpg

Sorry to hear you are having such a bad time with the ending, buddy. Personally I felt a bit better about the thing after a night's rest and getting some distance from it all.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
That mako monstrosity just barely resembles a dog at all as near as I can tell. :wacky:

It's a third person perspective, Tres. I can't get Cloud out of the frame very easily!

If anything I think that's more evidence that it's an older mascot design from when Aerith was a child, which aligns with it being symbolism of the actual true "original" role Zack had in the past.

The room is untouched with a booklet of beagle Stamp on the table since Aerith escaped at 7~ years old. That tells us our Stamp is anything but new.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The room is untouched with a booklet of beagle Stamp on the table since Aerith escaped at 7~ years old. That tells us our Stamp is anything but new.
Yeah, that should put that notion to bed then. An immaculate fifteen-year-old potato chip bag (bearing the only depiction of an unmentioned, retired mascot with an ubiquitous updated design) blowing around in the wind on the wastelands has got to be a stretch too far for all of us.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yeah, that should put that notion to bed then. An immaculate fifteen-year-old potato chip bag (bearing the only depiction of an unmentioned, retired mascot with an ubiquitous updated design) blowing around in the wind on the wastelands has got to be a stretch too far for all of us.

That's a good point, but I don't know if that's necessarily enough to carry the entire theory of an alternate timeline.

It's a strong indication that there's an intentional symbolic meaning to that new dog's design. But is it necessarily a certainty that it's indicative of a new timeline? I dunno, it could just be a dangling plot thread too.

I admit it's a possibility that wouldn't be out of left field, but I also think it's not quite a "Case-Closed" here either.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I feel like its a bit of a stretch to say that drawing is of the Tarrier Stamp. Just kinda looks like a vaguely dog-shaped blob to me. The booklet is pretty damning evidence though. The potato chip bag mystery continues~~~
Well, yeah, the booklet is the important thing, not Aerith's shitty childhood drawings. If the room is as Aerith and her mom left it, then "new" Stamp was already around when Aerith was 7 -- and is probably the only Stamp (in this universe).

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
It occurs to me that the chip bag can't have anything to do with the whispers, since it exists before they are destroyed. Zack's seeming survival is of course an indicator of an AU, but the party had nothing to do with the bag. This Stamp design would have existed from the outset, not retroactively, Doesn't that imply that this isn't some divergent timeline, but a similar universe that existed separately from the outset?

I'm having a really hard time phrasing what I mean, but do you get what I'm saying?

FFVII Remake: debating what alternate timeline the potato chip bag is from. For fucks sake.

This is our lives now. Embrace it. Love it. Fear it.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It occurs to me that the chip bag can't have anything to do with the whispers, since it exists before they are destroyed. Zack's seeming survival is of course an indicator of an AU, but the party had nothing to do with the bag. This Stamp design would have existed from the outset, not retroactively, Doesn't that imply that this isn't some divergent timeline, but a similar universe that existed separately from the outset?

I'm having a really hard time phrasing what I mean, but do you get what I'm saying?
Yeah, I get what you mean. I don't know if it really matters, though, if the Whispers are supposed to transcend all time.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Yeah, I get what you mean. I don't know if it really matters, though, if the Whispers are supposed to transcend all time.
In the Zack scene, the whispers existed right up until the point he should have died more or less. We can assume the timelines would be the same right up until that moment. Therefore, the different Stamp design can't be a result the party's interference with the timeline.

I guess we could assume that changes could theoretically go back even farther than Zack's death, but that requires a lot of imagining on our part without any actual evidence. I do think its notable that we only see the bag after the timeline would have shifted though, in the "was that all of them" scene. Ugh my head...

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Honestly, the fact that we’re trying to read so much into a chip bag that is likely there largely for visual symbolism, makes me think we’re giving it more meaning than the developers themselves did.
Basically I could see the developers thinking, “hey Cloud gets associated with the Stamp mascot so much throughout the game, it would be neat to hint at his relationship to Zack, by showing a different type of Stamp dog during the Zack scenes using the original brand flavor chips” and calling it a day, not thinking about the implications of mascot history and how masco redesigns work in real life or alternate universes indications.

Last edited:
Top Bottom