SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 18 Spoiler Discussion

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Except the headband could've just as easily belonged to Biggs. He's bandaged in the same place he'd have been wearing it, but there's no sign of the hanging straps. And the glove was left for Biggs, not one of their other friends. And again, why only one glove and not both? That makes no sense. She could still be alive.

Also, the shortness of the pan across does not leave time for anything other than the immediate reaction of realizing she may be alive because Biggs is and her glove is there.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Except the headband could've just as easily belonged to Biggs. He's bandaged in the same place he'd have been wearing it, but there's no sign of the hanging straps. And the glove was left for Biggs, not one of their other friends. And again, why only one glove and not both? That makes no sense. She could still be alive.

Also, the shortness of the pan across does not leave time for anything other than the immediate reaction of realizing she may be alive because Biggs is and her glove is there.
Because one glove is enough to be a memento, two gloves aren't required to be a memento.
And I have already repeatedly acknowledged the possibility that Jessie could be alive. I personally don't agree with or wish for said possible theory to occur though, and you're not going to convince me otherwise.

Reactions: LNK

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Plus the people who found Biggs wouldn’t have any idea when Biggs might wake up.

Yeah, this. There's no sanitary way of hanging onto a body in a state of decomposition for a prolonged period under these conditions.
---

@Jairus
Dude. Why are you making me repeat myself?:

Yeah, we all know where things stand at this point. ...

Kind of like all the other aspects of the ending we've dissected backward, forward, and maybe even a little bit sideways. We just have to wait now on additional information.

Chill the frick out.

Jairus

Because one glove is enough to be a memento, two gloves aren't required to be a memento.
And I have already repeatedly acknowledged the possibility that Jessie could be alive. I personally don't agree with or wish for said possible theory to occur though, and you're not going to convince me otherwise.
I haven't seen you say the glove could have been left by her and not a memento. And you're not thinking of the possibilities for storytelling that hers and Wedge's survival opens up because, like the Whispers, you seem bent on keeping to the OG plot in lock step rather than allow for anything but the tiniest changes. Their survival opens up potential development, interactions with other characters, and further growth and expansion of their stories that was never possible before. Why is that a bad thing?

Also, why bother showing her glove if she isn't alive? The shortness of the pan across doesn't allow for any reaction other than the realization of the possibility she could have survived because Biggs did. They want people to think of it, otherwise no one would have. It's got to be intentional.

Tres, I would if he'd stop arguing with me.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I haven't seen you say the glove could have been left by her and not a memento. And you're not thinking of the possibilities for storytelling that hers and Wedge's survival opens up because, like the Whispers, you seem bent on keeping to the OG plot in lock step rather than allow for anything but the tiniest changes. Their survival opens up potential development, interactions with other characters, and further growth and expansion of their stories that was never possible before. Why is that a bad thing?

Also, why bother showing her glove if she isn't alive? The shortness of the pan across doesn't allow for any reaction other than the realization of the possibility she could have survived because Biggs did. They want people to think of it, otherwise no one would have. It's got to be intentional.
Oh my f***** god I have acknowledged that there is a possibility that Jessie could be alive. And AGAIN: I just personally don't agree with or wish for said possible theory to occur though, and you're not going to convince me otherwise.
You don't need to try to convince me otherwise, but feel to believe and wish for your scenario to occur, that is your right completely to do so as a fan.
However, if you continue to insist that I (and others) have and/or should agree with you, I am blocking/muting you.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I'm just gonna borrow @snatchr 's avatar to express my current mood about this thread
d36ee3a95bafcc329f79cc227119f212

Jairus

User Banned from Section (1 Week): Obsessive, contentious behaviour bordering on trolling
I wasn't trying to say what you should do, Theo. Sorry if it came across that way. I was just trying to explain why it was possible and likely and how it could benefit the story, that's all.

Tres, if I'm not the only one who has to control my behavior on the forum, then don't single me out, please. It's just what it feels like is being done. Doesn't it go both ways?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Tres, if I'm not the only one who has to control my behavior on the forum, then don't single me out, please. It's just what it feels like is being done. Doesn't it go both ways?
When you can read this a week from now, ask yourself who lost their shit over a minor disagreement and refused to let said inconsequential matter go.

This would be a good place to ask what people think about fallen enemies dissolving. They dissolve into what looks like a kind of mako glow in this game just as in the OG. It's never referred to and never explained. Do we think this is just game mechanics - a way of clearing the field of debris - or is it meant to be what actually happens to bodies after death in their world?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
This would be a good place to ask what people think about fallen enemies dissolving. They dissolve into what looks like a kind of mako glow in this game just as in the OG. It's never referred to and never explained. Do we think this is just game mechanics - a way of clearing the field of debris - or is it meant to be what actually happens to bodies after death in their world?
A little bit of both I think.You see actual corpses at various points, like the climb up the tower in chapter 12, so I don't think its what always happens immediately upon death (Aerith's water burial becomes a lot more questionable in that case) but the way enemies fade into what looks like lifestream is definitely supposed to represent them "returning to the planet."

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's definitely game mechanics.

The only enemies we ever see dissolving into lifestream energy are Genesis Copies, Angeal Copies, Sephiroth Copies, and the Silver-Haired Men.

Normal people and most monsters die and leave a corpse behind.

Aphyo

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Head canon - The effect itself is the body decomposing. I think the immediacy is a game mechanic.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Head canon - The effect itself is the body decomposing. I think the immediacy is a game mechanic.

Oh I definitely think that's what it's meant to be here. A normal person usually wouldn't see the discorporation of a living being's spirit energy upon death unless they're some sort of aberration like a Genesis Copy or some weird remnant existence. So yeah, I think it definitely is like that.

My memory is that all enemies dissolve if you "kill" them. The robbers definitely dissolve, except the first time you beat them, when you can push their bodies over their fire if you are so inclined. But they are not meant to be dead, just KO'ed and too scared to fight any further.

It's true though that there are bodies on the pillar. Is that the only place we see bodies? I don't remember seeing them anywhere else.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
We also see corpses in Chapter 17 when some specimens are eating other specimens.
And now that I realize that animals still have to eat in this world, that’s even more evidence that the dissolving isn’t literal. Like how could any carnivorous animal survive in FFVII’s world if their prey dissolved into Lifestream seconds after killing their prey?

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Game mechanics and memory issues. It's less costly for the system to make the corpses dissolve than having the models lying around. That's also one of the reasons why in some other games the corpses disappear past a few hours, or when you get out of the area and come back.

It's just a meta detail. In universe, the corpses stay. Think of it like the screen hud. Characters don't go around with a menu and comands hovering over what they see, but you as a player, do.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
It's definitely game mechanics.

The only enemies we ever see dissolving into lifestream energy are Genesis Copies, Angeal Copies, Sephiroth Copies, and the Silver-Haired Men.

Normal people and most monsters die and leave a corpse behind.

Grimoire Valentine dissolves in Lucrecia's arms upon death.

Top Bottom