SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 18 Spoiler Discussion

Clean Cut Chaos

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Cub Chaos
Why don't they look the same? What's the technical reason?
Phew, well this is above my pay grade but I'll give it a guess. In game character are designed to work within the confines of the game engine (Unreal 4) but the pre-rendered scenes like the Cetra presentation in the tour in the Shinra building is made with more movie grade software capable of advanced rendering techniques and lighting. I guess they can't just import the in game models into the movie grade software so they have to be remade just for those scenes. Or something like that.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Did anyone else think the in engine characters looked better than their pre-rendered counterparts?
I actually generally preferred the in-engine scenes, though obviously they tended only to use pre-rendered footage where doing it in-engine wouldn't be feasible, like the Cosmo Theater scene.

It seems to me that their Visual Works faces were a bit off compared to the in-game models, maybe because they had to be finalized earlier in development so that the final renders could be completed in time, while the in-game models were perhaps tweaked a bit later in development. Aerith and Cloud in particular look different.

The lighting was also a bit different from how it's done in-game, with the in-game lighting generally feeling, I don't know... moodier? Again, it may be that they were able to keep tweaking the in-game visuals after the stuff Visual Works produced was finalized.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Okay so that's why everyone in Kingsglaive looked varying degrees of "off." Did they really not use motion capture for the game though? I thought that was pretty much just industry standard by now.
they did for animations, but they copied real faces in the movie to give a realistic look compared to the game (more stylized).

there are better technical words to explain this, but my english is still not quite there lol

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Okay so that's why everyone in Kingsglaive looked varying degrees of "off." Did they really not use motion capture for the game though? I thought that was pretty much just industry standard by now.
Luna in particular looks utterly different - that is, not even close to being the same person, as well as older - a grown woman instead of a girl in her late teens.

Kingsglaive was made with the English actors first, and it used face-motion capture for the characters. So Luna looks like Lena Heady, Ardyn looks like Darin de Paul, etc. But in XV they didn't use face capture, and the faces were just based on their character design.

As for VIIR, honestly it took me a couple times to determine when a prerendered cutscene had started. So I think they looked pretty close. It's certainly not a Korean!Tidus situation :monster:

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
even if Kitase's words are to be taken for granted, the ending is still poorly paced and overdone, changes in the story are questionable at best and they didn't even bother to vaguely explain them or tie-in with FFVIIs lore (which is why they feel entirely random).

It's a black stain in our poor hearts and it will remain so.
I think there are a lot of other factors. The big red flag is the development issues that the game increasingly has pretty much Chapter 17-18. The story changes also relate to that. If they were better done, would they still be questionable? They obviously tried to do something different, so calling out to the OG doesnt seem like a good choice. And some story changes are part of the overall mystery of the next parts. Explains why they are so vague about it. There is also the metanarrative imbued in them, which is always dissonant. It's part of "being meta".

I mean, I didnt really like the ending too, but I'm pretty sure the development team is also sad about it. It clearly lacks the polish that many other Chapters have, and that would have probably made us much more receptable towards it. Having big story differences is in the range of being a Remake, and they clearly proved that they can put out quality stuff, it really is a shame that the ending wasnt them at their prime.

Top Bottom