SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 9 Spoiler Discussion

ForceStealer

Double Growth
So I got a trophy for getting 3 dresses, but Cloud only wears one? I feel I'm missing something obvious there...

That's referring to the three dresses on all of them. Cloud, Aerith, and Tifa. Each of them have three different dresses. There's a trophy for getting your first three, and one for getting all nine.

Also is there any bonus for doing well in the dance thing? Because I didn't even try, I just put the controller down and waited. These mini games are really starting to feel like padding now. I assume I got the worst dress but Corneo still picked me?
Is that scripted now? Because in the original you only got picked if you worked for it with the mini games.

Cloud's dress is determined by your Chapter 9 sidequests. Doing well in the dancing minigame gets you earrings and a trophy. But yes, Cloud is always picked.
And the dancing minigame was great :monster:

Last edited:

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
Aerith dress is determined by how much you spend in Madam M's right? (I'm guessing here).
And Tifa's when shes asks what type of outfit to wear? (I think the choices were Mature, Exotic & Sporty?)

What's Cloud dress determined by exactly?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Aerith dress is determined by how much you spend in Madam M's right? (I'm guessing here).
And Tifa's when shes asks what type of outfit to wear? (I think the choices were Mature, Exotic & Sporty?)

What's Cloud dress determined by exactly?

Correct on Tifa.
Aerith's is determined by how many sidequests you did in Chapter 8. (0-2, 3-5, or 6)

Cloud's is determined by which set of sidequests you got in Chapter 9, and whether you did them. You could get Chocobo Sam's set of sidequests (which mirror the sidequest of the original game, getting the drunk dress maker at the bar, giving digestives to sick people, getting stuff from the vending machine at the inn, etc.). That will get you one dress.
Or you could get Madam M's questline, which is different and will result in a different dress.
If you don't do whichever questline you are offered, you'll get a third dress (the one in the trailer).

Several of your choices earlier in Chapter 9 determine whose set of quests you'll receive. Including the massage, or whether you play with Sam's coinflip, or whether you seek out Johnny, etc.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Aerith's dress is determined on how many odd jobs you do in Sector 5 in chapter 8.

If you do 0 to 3, you get the dumpster curtain dress.

If you do all possible odd jobs you get the iconic and gorgeous red dress.

And in between, you get casual yet pretty dress that ironically, Aerith prefers most of all.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I literally cannot refrain from laughing anytime I see that scene.

Tifa's concerned tone of voice upon seeing another poor woman taken by Don Corneo.

Cloud's earnest concern for Tifa.

Tifa's confused reply at Cloud's questioning, clearly demonstrating how she was perplexed that some random woman knew her name.

Tifa's cautious "mmhmm..." response at Cloud asking if she was okay.

Then the slow realization that appears on Tifa's face as she looks past the gorgeous dress, make up, wig, tiara, and everything else to finally see that the woman she was concerned for... Is really Cloud. Cloud in a fully decked out dress with make up, boobs, nail polish, the whole shebang.

And Cloud's attempt at simply moving beyond the clearly shocking, awkward moment of realization.

It's just. So perfectly delivered. God I love it.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
So what happens with paying Madam M?

You pay her cheap, medium or deluxe, I paid medium cos' I didn't know what I was getting myself into. What does that effect?
Does if give you a combat buff for the arena fight?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It plays into which questline you'll get. The choices are all weighted, so it's possible to make choices that push you towards one questline but still get the other.
Paying for the deluxe one will push you toward her questline (and the dress in that video you shared above). But I got the deluxe course and still got the other questline.
The cheap one favors Chocobo Sam's quest line, and the middle grade has no effect.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Just finished the chapter. I'll echo the "Hell House is insane" statements. Killed me once, but managed to win on the second try. I do miss hearing "The Oppressed" in Wall Market, but the new BGM does fit it better given the glamorous setting. Loved seeing all the familiar locations faithfully recreated. Running around with Johnny was fun, I'm actually starting to like the guy.

Btw did you guys know that if you get the practice perfect, you'll get the "Let the Battles Begin! -REMAKE-" track? I tried three times for the audition mini-game. Best score was 25 perfect, 2 good and 1 bad.

cE3ahZh.jpg

jGwpClb.jpg

2sfQNmH.jpg

Last edited:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Well, that was nuts.

Quite a long chapter too. We spend some time playing with cranes, and Aeris attempts to get a high five. There's now an excuse for the ridiculously badly damaged road, and the name 'Wall Market'.

Then we hit Wall Market, while teasing that they're going to bypass it entirely. I know a lot of people love this quest in the OG, but I always found it boring going back and forth between shops.

I die to Fat Chocobo in VR, and burn through too many items.

I like how everyone's reaction is essentially 'you want to do what?' You can hear the 'please let me die' in Leslie's voice at what his job is. (Lot of references to TKAA so far, by the way). He looks oddly like Noctis.

Sam seems genuinely nice.

I'm broke due to having to buy healing items to replace those I wasted against Fat Chocobo, and so have to take the poor man's massage. Mercing barely breaks even with the expenses.

The pit fighting part is great, the commentary really makes it. Everyone keeps calling Aeris ugly for some reason. I'm not going to lie, I thought 'what's with that pole? You going to do a dance for us?' was funny. First three rounds are easy enough, Hell House is a hard fight with great commentary. Not having wind materia equipped makes it more difficult than it needs to be.

Aeris gets her dress, and I do the boring 'run around between shops' sidequest, and beat Ronnie at Squats. Jay is too much for me.

I die again in Sam's sidequest in the coliseum, and get a fright when the game reloads back at Madam Ms before the fight and I think I have to do it all again, but a reload gets a save closer to where I am. Second try works.

Corneo seems a lot more dangerous this run, which brings home just how dumb this whole plan is.

Aeris' dress is nice, it's the red one with a train.Not so fond of Tifa's. I seem to have got the same dresses as the OG.

The song and dance number is insane and fun, although I'm too busy trying to get the prompts to appreciate it fully. What do you mean ' He tried', Aeris, I got 17 greats and only six bad moves! I want more respect, dammit!

And so it's time. What's the point of gassing your guests just to let them wake up five minutes later?

And now we learn about Sector 7, although to be honest, the justification for the plate drop is completely gone in the remake. Bombing two reactors is enough to make Shinra do drastic things, but not only did Shinra do it themselves this time, they know there's a wider branch of AVALANCHE beyond Barret's cell already, so this is guaranteed to do nothing to solve any problems even if it works perfectly.

Public opinion is already against AVALANCHE for their existing bombings, which means the plate drop is now completely pointless. Must be those ghosts again.

Wow, that took forever. Glad's it's over, even if I want to do better and dancing and squats.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X

A little insight that when Bri recorded the dialogue for Aerith speaking this line to Cloud, that she actually recorded the full sentence speak Zack's name (which makes sense given that the technology for the lip sync is animation that's actually driven by the recording), even though Cloud glitches out and we don't get to hear it.

X :neo:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
All right, I just got all 9 dresses, here are my faves:

1590240125156.jpeg
1590240143618.jpeg
1590240171743.jpeg

Funny, because while Tifa dress can come down to choice, the default (lazy) option is her purple dress. Aeris’s is the halfway-lazy one, you have to do 3 (but not 6) sidequests in Ch. 8 to get it. Her ultimate (red) dress is a bit too fancy and looks hard to move in. I like the flowy nature of this one.

I also like Cloud’s quests for the white dress the best, but the blue corset is leagues ahead of the competition in terms of beauty.

Aside from having to do the tedious sidequests and crane mini game over and over, I ultimately enjoyed getting this trophy — the most annoying part was escaping the church over and over because a) Whispers and b) the monkey bar platforming which has never given me a second of enjoyment.

Top Bottom