FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

Fangu

Great Old One
I need to finish VIIR this weekend because it's getting harder and harder to avoid reading about the last chapters, and I don't want to stay off YouTube and social media. I wasn't particularly spoiler squeamish about this game but now I'm thinking I need to experience the entire thing before reading about it :monster:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
FFXV shipped 5M on day one. While the exact ratio of PS4 in every region is unknown, in the UK 79% of XV's launch sales were on PS4 and in Japan nearly exclusively PS4 (because XB is virtually a non-entity in that region :monster:).

If you allow me a little of guess work, with PS4 being the dominant console worldwide (having a 2:1 ratio with XB1 and being above XB1 in every major region), let's say 79% of XV sales were on PS4 (give or take a few) and you get around 3.95M sales. Even if you want to be a bit more pessimistic and say the overall PS4 sales ratio were in the 70%-75%, you would still get 3.5M at the lowest.

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Considering we know the retail numbers are shipped-in and not sold through, and we have other analytics that suggest Square sent a lot more copies of XV into stores in comparison to the VIIR numbers. All in all they're probably fairly even taking everything into account. Depends on your perspective, I guess. Unless I'm being an idiot here :monster:

Saven

Pro Adventurer
Fastest selling PS4 exclusive of all time, in the middle of the worst pandemic in over 100 years. Would we expect anything less from this game!? This has to be incredible news for Square. Get part 2 out there ASAP!!!
Wow, you go FF7!
I'm so proud of my boy Cloud!
Ex-Soldier Boy

Oh yes, FF7 is back and is here to stay, despite no matter how hard parts of the Internet tried to bring it down for the last 15 years

Turlast

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Really happy to see this game put up amazing numbers in a few days despite everything taking place in the world.

Still enjoying the game and finding it hard to put down. We waited forever, but I can say with no doubt that this game was worth it. The only thing I dislike is having to wait for the next one. Easily one of the most fun games I've ever played. It brought the kid out of me as if I were playing the OG again.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
This is random but does anyone like how this game has no splash screens?
No company logos, no POWERED BY EFFYOU ENGINE(TM) etc, just boots straight to the title screen.
Sometimes you just gotta appreciate the little things.
Man, I thought something felt a little weird about starting the game! That's what it was. I'm a little sad we didn't get opening credits to accompany the prelude like in the original though.

Some technical comments by the creator of Noesis

EDIT: From the Twitter thread.

Josch:​
I think they used Nichola Frechette's animation compression library for UE4​
Rich Whitehouse:​
That fits with the recurring FF7R theme of “let’s use this external product even though our other team already has a better solution.” The content also leaves a lot of clues on how/why going with UE4 was a mistake for them.​

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
FF7R sales according to Famitsu. The game sold 702.5K on opening week (friday)

For comparison the first week sales of recent FFs:
  • FFX had 1.7M on opening week (thursday)
  • FFXII had 1.8M on opening week (thursday)
  • FFXIII had 1.5M on opening week (Monday)
  • FFXV had 716.6K on opening week (Monday)
Sources for other sales: Game Data Library
Week two sales for FF7R in Japan (April 12-April 19)

Rank - System - Game - this week/total accumulated

#1 [SWI] Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 286.586 / 3.611.246
#2 [PS4] Final Fantasy VII Remake - 70.652 / 773.505
#3 [SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 13.313 / 2.882.585

This is a 89.95% drop from last week, the number sounds severe but the drop is in line with the rest of the series. FFXII, XIII & XV dropped 88% in their second week, at its best the series saw drops of 84% and 83% for FFVII & IX respectively. FF was alway front loaded in Japan.

On week two it sold 9K phisical copies less than XV but digitally the game performed better with around 270k on week one vs XV's 88K on one month. In conclusion the Remake is performing magnitudes better on digital and slightly behind on retail, with both phisical & digital combined the overall performance has Remake edging XV by about 29%. However, both games (retail) performance are still a far cry from FFXIII, which sold 1.5M on just first week.

As it stands, the franchise in Japan has yet to recover from the post-XIII effect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom