FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

Haven't looked into Whitehouse's previous statements on the matter, so I don't know either. But just like programmers argue endlessly about which programming language is the best, it wouldn't surprise me if the topic of game engines is so complicated that Whitehouse's well-informed opinion may not be universal across a board of experts. Or maybe it's clear-cut and UE4 was a mistake. :monster: I dunno.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
I think what threw me about that was he seemed to be implying that using UE4 over Luminous was a mistake, but usually I see people talking about Luminous with a negative connotation. So I'm wondering if it's a matter of Luminous being better in some ways but harder to work with. So if they had stuck with Luminous it might have animated better at the cost of a tougher dev cycle.

But I know nothing about this so I should probably just shut up :monster:

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
I think what threw me about that was he seemed to be implying that using UE4 over Luminous was a mistake, but usually I see people talking about Luminous with a negative connotation. So I'm wondering if it's a matter of Luminous being better in some ways but harder to work with. So if they had stuck with Luminous it might have animated better at the cost of a tougher dev cycle.

But I know nothing about this so I should probably just shut up :monster:
Don't take it too seriously. All game engines have some things that they do well over other game engines. In the end, luminous is going to do some things better than UE4, even if its only a few things. The Proof of UE4's triumph is just how amazing FF7R looked.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
It seems like overall FFVIIR is doing pretty great in sales. At best It will probably be landing around 2nd/3rd fastest-selling PS4 exclusive game when we get the direct sales numbers, but oh boy do I wonder how much better it could have performed if it didn't have so many retail problems :sigh:

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
It seems like overall FFVIIR is doing pretty great in sales. At best It will probably be landing around 2nd/3rd fastest-selling PS4 exclusive game when we get the direct sales numbers, but oh boy do I wonder how much better it could have performed if it didn't have so many retail problems :sigh:

Same. I really wish it didn’t have to release during the middle of a pandemic. It’s hard to judge sales based off of what is going on in the world right now. I also wonder if Animal Crossing hurt it. I bought Animal Crossing and I love it, but I put it down the second FF7R released. For some, I just wonder if Animal Crossing was enough and they couldn’t justify spending $60 on another game when so many are struggling right now. I don’t know, just a thought.

Animal Crossing though... Hoo boy. That game released at the perfect time. It’s what a lot of people needed right now, and it filled a void. Unfortunately for FF7R, it didn’t quite have that impact for most people. Still, the sales are great especially considering all factors. I just wonder what could have been.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I'm not surprised about the remake selling less. That has more to do with Coronavirus though

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
I was more curious about what effect, if any, the lockdown would have on sales. Seems like it didn't impact it too significantly, which I was worried about. I'm still wondering how it compares to SE's expectations though.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
The thing about the lockdown is that....well it's weird. Digital sales have gone up in absurd fashions, and of course physical ones have gone down similarly. But it's hard to know right now if the effect is a really bad one, kind of bad, or even...not bad at all. There are people who believe that lockdown actually boosted the industry, due to it's digital roots, and the number of people inside their homes looking for things to do.

I don't particularly care what Square "Tomb Raider failed by not selling 5 million copies" Enix expected, lol.
Thing is...5 million seems a lot. But is that lifetime sales? Because, I can't say for sure since I don't particularly recall that situation, but some franchises have objectives at much higher numbers.

Top Bottom