SPOILERS FFVII Remake Frustration Expression Thread (*Open Spoilers*)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The clearest example of what he's talking about is Wall Market, where walking the the equivalent of "up" in the OG on those screens moves you "down" on this in-game map.

But given that we don't have an indication of a given map's cardinal directions in either the OG or Remake, and the remake's free-rotating camera,I'm not sure I see the issue. Especially since I know he doesn't play with the minimap on :monster:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
The clearest example of what he's talking about is Wall Market, where walking the the equivalent of "up" in the OG on those screens moves you "down" on this in-game map.

But given that we don't have an indication of a given map's cardinal directions in either the OG or Remake, and the remake's free-rotating camera,I'm not sure I see the issue. Especially since I know he doesn't play with the minimap on :monster:
Oh you mean how like Corneo's Mansion is further in the direction of the "crust" of Midgar instead being in the direction towards the center (like how it was in the OG)? I figured that's just par for the course how parts of the slums' layouts and architecture have been redesigned. I thought you guys meant that somehow the maps showed the central pillar being on the outside of the "crust", despite it being physically impossible.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I think more simply than that. That the OG prerendered background and the in-game Remake map when you push the touchpad are opposite each other.
Okay, now I am confused again, what are exactly opposite of each other? The OG's pre-rendered backgrounds were like a 3/4-to-overhead view, the touchpad map is just a 2D map.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
You're overthinking it :lol: He's simply referring to the fact that Corneo's mansion is at the TOP of FF7's Wall Market map, and it's at the BOTTOM of the Remake's.
Okay, yes that I can understand. And I figured that's was just an intentional change in the slums geography and not a mistake on the developers' end.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Sector 7’s map is accurate, the Pillar is east and slightly south. My favorite moment playing the game was in Chapter 3 when I realized I was learning to navigate using the central pillar as my main landmark.

The church in the Sector 5/6 map is at the top, and if you face your character up on the map, you are looking south out of Midgar. If you turn your character to face down (the road towards the Sector 5 town square) the Pillar is in front of you, so down is north and up is south.

WHY!?!?

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Did anyone else hate a lot of the level designs? The slums and many dungeons were really annoying to navigate. I can see a narrative purpose in having the slums be really annoying to show how they're very uncomfortable places to live, but I can't make that justification for the dungeons.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Sector 7’s map is accurate, the Pillar is east and slightly south. My favorite moment playing the game was in Chapter 3 when I realized I was learning to navigate using the central pillar as my main landmark.

The church in the Sector 5/6 map is at the top, and if you face your character up on the map, you are looking south out of Midgar. If you turn your character to face down (the road towards the Sector 5 town square) the Pillar is in front of you, so down is north and up is south.

WHY!?!?
Okay, you've lost me again.
Here I am near the Sector 5 station looking "up" and "down" in respect to the mini-map.
EWpLQ_gUcAExrNa.jpeg
EWpLSuAU8AEoZne.jpeg
All it means is that while we are in the Sector 5 and 6 areas this is the mini-map orientation

Background1.png
What's wrong with this? The mini-map isn't meant to indicate the cardinal directions or anything, so how is anything upside down?

Last edited:

Ite

AKA
Ite
Your equivocation is strange but not incorrect, in that the top of the map indeed points South-South-East. But the sketch you showed still puts bottom above top, by a huge margin. What's *not* wrong about that?? If you don't care about cardinal directions, that's fine I guess, but I don't use minimaps, I just open the map when I want to plan out my route -- and when top is bottom and bottom is top -- inconsistent with the Sector 7 map -- -- I get turned around through no fault of my own. I think it's unbecoming of an urban adventure setting, especially one that has unique geography as a major feature.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Your equivocation is strange but not incorrect, in that the top of the map indeed points South-South-East. But the sketch you showed still puts bottom above top, by a huge margin. What's *not* wrong about that?? If you don't care about cardinal directions, that's fine I guess, but I don't use minimaps, I just open the map when I want to plan out my route -- and when top is bottom and bottom is top -- inconsistent with the Sector 7 map -- -- I get turned around through no fault of my own. I think it's unbecoming of an urban adventure setting, especially one that has unique geography as a major feature.
I guess I just don't see the issue since the other areas also have their own different orientations, Sector 7 isn't uniquely different from the Sector 5/6 areas, in that regard. Since we never go out of the city, the touchpad map and mini-map not orienting themselves to FFVII's world's cardinal directions doesn't seem to be a problem to me. It seems like an intentional design decision, not a mistake on the developers' part.

Ite

AKA
Ite
....Agree to disagree, I guess?

1588036453252.png

I honestly have no idea why I am the outlier here. If this happened in any other video game, y'all would be pissed. Don't know what it is about FF7 that makes you embrace every stupid problem like it's a masterstroke of subversive genius.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
....Agree to disagree, I guess?

View attachment 5783

I honestly have no idea why I am the outlier here. If this happened in any other video game, y'all would be pissed. Don't know what it is about FF7 that makes you embrace every stupid problem like it's a masterstroke of subversive genius.
Sure, I guess. Like I agree the "bottom" (i.e. the Sector 6 playground) of the touchpad map/mini-map is in the north/north-west direction, relative to Aerith's Church (I drew that on my diagram of Midgar) but since the cardinal directions aren't relevant while we're in Midgar, I see it as unimportant. And that's why I wouldn't describe it as a "mistake" in the same way using the Sector 6 plate as the Sector 5 slums skybox is.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Did anyone else hate a lot of the level designs? The slums and many dungeons were really annoying to navigate. I can see a narrative purpose in having the slums be really annoying to show how they're very uncomfortable places to live, but I can't make that justification for the dungeons.

Only dungeon-esque area that aggravated me was strangely the factory in Sector 7. I don't know why, but that area somehow folded space-time or something because I just always get turned around or lost there. It was irritating.

Midgar Sewers didn't have poor level design per se, but I don't like Sewer levels in general, so it was probably the area I enjoyed least. Especially with those stupid ass murderous Sahagins.

I found most of the game's areas complex but not vexingly so. But then again, the last FF I played was XV where I got spasms in my eyes and hands trying to navigate the godforsaken Crestholm Channels there.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I miss being able to go into people's houses. I know it's not 'realistic' or whatever but, y'know.
Are there specific ones you have in mind/are remembering? Because most of the ones in the OG I can recall were just shops and whatnot (which are still present in the Remake, plus the many visitable buildings in Wall Market).

Reactions: LNK
Top Bottom