SPOILERS FFVII Remake Frustration Expression Thread (*Open Spoilers*)

Being able to go into people's houses and steal stuff was part of what made the OG so wacky, which in turn was part of its charm. I guess you couldn't get away with that in high-res, but having valuable items just lying about the slums in unlocked containers is a rather weak element of their worldbuilding.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I'm ok with Aerith being an empath and with telepathy, I believe it's possible for us all to have a bit of basic telepathy. However the final chapter really cranked up the shenanigans on her level of power and what's she's capable of. I hope the girl we left in c12 isn't lost!

It's just too much. I agree with you, about earlier Aerith. She was more human, with her quirks, but generally upbeat self. But touching Red XIII and transmitting knowledge through her touch, that just made me roll my eyes, as to me that's too much power to Aerith. She can hear the lifestream, and magic comes naturally to her, that was fine, but now she's getting omniscient. I just feel it's too much.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Not a spoiler for the story, but a spoiler for certain... meta... facts about the Remake.
Tetsuya Nomura said:
I started up the FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE project around the time of Compilation of FINAL FANTASY VII. We’d gone through Advent Children, Before Crisis, Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cerberus, and I was planning this by myself for about a year as the fifth and final entry in the compilation.

From here: https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake-developers

Would it have killed the PR team to brand this as the 5th Entry in the Compilation instead of a Remake of the OG?!?! That... kinda changes my reaction to a lot of the perceived "changes" from the OG... since a sequal and a remake are two very different things most of the time...

And I now find I am more mad about the PR campain for the Remake more then anything else.... Setting people to have the correct expectations is important.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
It’s still a Remake of the OG. And that comment from Nomura is about how he personally was mulling over the idea of a Remake back then during the late 2000s. Actually development and go-ahead still didn’t begin until around 2013-2014-ish.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I honestly have no idea why I am the outlier here. If this happened in any other video game, y'all would be pissed. Don't know what it is about FF7 that makes you embrace every stupid problem like it's a masterstroke of subversive genius.

The fuck are you talking about? If a map wasn't locked to cardinal directions in another game we'd be pissed? That VII's map isn't is being treated as subversive genius?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The fuck are you talking about? If a map wasn't locked to cardinal directions in another game we'd be pissed? That VII's map isn't is being treated as subversive genius?

Jesus. I didn’t know “North is up” was such a controversial stance. Later.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I'm clearly referring to the accusation leveled at us, but okay.

Which accusation was that? The accusation that fans of the original FF7 but not the Remake literally have nowhere to go to vent our frustrations over even the most logical issues with the game without getting jumped all over and mocked — even when we create a thread for that specific purpose??

I made a very pleasant farewell post when I finished the game, anticipating exactly this, and I regret not following through. So, yeah, later.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Which accusation was that? The accusation that fans of the original FF7 but not the Remake literally have nowhere to go to vent our frustrations over even the most logical issues with the game without getting jumped all over and mocked — even when we create a thread for that specific purpose??

I made a very pleasant farewell post when I finished the game, anticipating exactly this, and I regret not following through. So, yeah, later.

You had precisely one person maybe sort of disagree with you. And this constituted jumped all over and mocked? I was specifically explaining to him what you were referring to. All I took issue with was this bizarre statement that all of us were treating Remake map orientation as subversive genius and would definitely crucify any other game for it because one person (sort of) didn't agree with you.
But fine then. Later.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Okay, I guess if I were to design the map I probably would have used the relative position of the central pillar to the current sector as the "up" on the map, but like really who gives a shit? There are so many other things to complain about.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It's a perfectly fine thing to complain about. Personally, the wrong plate being over Sector 5 is the larger gripe for me. But this is, as he said, the Frustration Expression thread. Turning it on the rest of us is all I took issue with.

And this is exactly what I’m talking about.

As stated above I disagree with him there. But nobody said anything like that until you started stamping your feet at us for no reason.

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
A little frustration for me having wondered what this remake would entail was around the breadth of Midgar...

Don’t get me wrong, I loved the expansion of the familiar areas. We saw a great deal more of the Sectors 5, 6 and 7 Slums than I expected, a little more up on the plate and the exploration of this was an awful lot of fun. What we got was a real treat.

However, you still have large chunks of Midgar that are not mentioned at all. We still don’t know anything about Sector 2 or 3 for example. We also still see very little of what’s above the plate given how massive it is. I still want to know what happens across all of these areas.

I get that it would have been way off the original story to go there and explore. It wouldn’t have made any sense within the narrative and you can’t just have an open-world Midgar, but I’m just curious to know what it’s like.

I’m going to really split hairs here, but at the end of chapter 9, Reeve is cut off saying the “Sector 7 Undercity is home to 50,000”... It’s fair to assume he’s going to say “people” to finish that sentence. Where are 50,000 people fitting into that space? Is there an awful lot more of the slums that we just don’t see?

Sure when we’re parachuting in from the plate in Chapter 4 or in the plate interior in Chapter 6, the area looks more vast, but 50,000 vast?

Am I just being unnecessarily pedantic or have I played too much Cities: Skylines?

If that reads as me trying a bit hard to find faults and issues then it probably is just that. I guess it comes from a desire to know everything there is possible to know about this world. Can you blame me?

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
If I ever gave the impression I was trying to invalidate Mr. Ite’s frustrations I am sorry for that. But I was initially just confused/didn’t understand what the complaint was initially, and once I got further clarification/understanding on it, I gave my own thoughts on the matter. It was never my intention to give the impression that another’s feelings/reaction was invalid.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I forget the boss's name, but that huge tank robot we had to fight on the motorcycle... I seriously hate that fight. It's hard on my hands, as I'm not sure which way to hold the stick. Plus, it's just plan hard! I died twice, first times in the game that I got game over (Classic mode). Anyhow, that's my second major gripe about the game, besides Aerith being too omniscient and her powers.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I forget the boss's name, but that huge tank robot we had to fight on the motorcycle... I seriously hate that fight. It's hard on my hands, as I'm not sure which way to hold the stick. Plus, it's just plan hard! I died twice, first times in the game that I got game over (Classic mode). Anyhow, that's my second major gripe about the game, besides Aerith being too omniscient and her powers.
Yeah M.O.T.O.R was a pain. Seems like people are split on if they found that boss difficult though. I died twice I think.

Top Bottom