SPOILERS FFVII Remake Frustration Expression Thread (*Open Spoilers*)

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
And to get the full understand of the events you will have to play both so you understand that the version of Seph in the remake has seen his first failed attempt and is coming back around to change the events for his desired results.
Except that is still a presumption on the player end. The mystery behind Sephiroth in chapter 18 still hasn’t been, maybe it will be something like that, maybe it won’t.
The OG can enhance one’s Remake experience, but I am confident that it isn’t a requirement for understanding it, especially once the project has completed released all of its installments.

Clean Cut Chaos

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Cub Chaos
This has become regraded as a remake/sequel and sure you can put enough pieces together from watching a sequel if you've never seen the first to understand it, but you won't have that full grasp without it.

Thankfully people seem to be flocking to the OG. Hope the kids can suck it up and push though blocky Cloud so they can see how expertly the story was executed in the first.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
This has become regraded as a remake/sequel and sure you can put enough pieces together from watching a sequel if you've never seen the first to understand it, but you won't have that full grasp without it.

Thankfully people seem to be flocking to the OG. Hope the kids can suck it up and push though blocky Cloud so they can see how expertly the story was executed in the first.
This really isn’t a sequel though. It’s an adaptation of the OG sure, but not a sequel.
The idea that it’s a sequel is still just a fan theory.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
I hope you're not begrudging Jessie her small chance to shine.

I mean "I don't mind them expanding on Avalanche" legit lmao. Quite frankly, I liked Jessie way more than Tifa in early game. Jessie has clear motivations and goals and you wanna root for her.

What I mean by giving Tifa room to breathe was that the early time we spend with her, and only her, should be the time to establish her character and really get a feel for her. Now granted, these were my initial impressions and they might change when I do my second playthrough, but I felt like I knew Jessie better than Tifa after a few hours which...didn't sit right with me. She feels really contradictory, tbh, and also feels way more outside of Avalanche than she did in the original. It's part of a bigger problem with the remake, imo, where the writers are being really wishy washy with the shades of grey when it comes to these characters, wanting them to be responsible for the acts of terrorism they commit but pulling back on how much is actually their 'fault'. When it comes to Tifa, something that's interesting about her character is that you wouldn't necessarily expect someone as kindhearted as her to take part in an organization like Avalanche. But you see her past, and you see that she and Barret share a similar anger and hatred towards Shinra that blinds them to the collateral damage they cause. I feel like remake!Tifa barely wants to be there, as if a bunch of people have just overstayed their welcome at her house and she's too nice to tell them she wants them to leave. Which just makes it feel weird when she's trying to get Cloud to stay and help them. In the OG, her motivation is very clear because she wants to keep Cloud close, so she keeps him at the hideout with the rest of the members, and she joins the mission with him early game. She's on board and she wants Cloud to be on board. Ok. Clear cut. Got it. Remake!Tifa wanting Cloud to work for Avalanche makes less sense when she barely feels like she wants to be there, like girl she could've just hired him as a bouncer for the bar and had more success tbh

I don't want it to feel like this is just a problem I have with Tifa though, I know I mentioned the Shrina building so I'm also going to point out that Barret not kicking president Shrina off the roof was the second dumbest fucking thing I had to witness. I literally hate writing thats like "we killed 50 grunts to get here but now that I am faced with the Big Bad I will take the moral highground" get this shit outta here malcolm reynolds wouldn't stand for this

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I mean, you kinda just broke gaming in general like that. In how many games did we kill grunts and minor enemies only to spare an important character albeit our adversary? So yea, sorry Shinra Infantrymen, but you my friend are part of the game's enemy list that I can combat, so you have to die. Shinra aint on that list, so he has a pass.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Really? I felt I had a much better grasp of Tifa’s character in the Remake than the equivalent parts of the OG. I thought she had load of good characterization, and her greater hesitancy made her far more unique and interesting as a character, and it definitely doesn’t negate her anger at Shinra, even with her being more conflicted I never doubted her overall desire to be with Avalanche. But that’s just me, if it didn’t work for you, it didn’t work.

As for Barret not immediately killing the president (besides the own personal motivations he stated he had himself), the rest of the group weren’t protesting killing him because “killing him was worse than killing grunts”, killing in the heat of battle is one thing but it’s the notion that killing someone who is at your mercy is cruel/wrong (that party was basing their protests on). Now you personally may think such a distinction is meaningless but for many people it is a significant difference. I always felt Goliath from the Gargoyles cartoon put it best:
25AF267E-F591-481D-B3AE-AB98AFB480ED.jpegE601F4B4-E60E-438A-8F11-C7AA0570BCB7.jpeg

Last edited:

Superespresso

The big lad
I got a kunsel name drop. I can die happy now. That's all I wanted. I still have zero goddamn clue what happened there at the end, even with Ultimania context and a stiff drink, but y'know.. it is what it is.

Edit: Waited the ENTIRE game for a SINGLE "Let's Mosey." Got NOTHING. Was hugely disappointed by that. There was a spot at the end in the atrium where I was gripping my controller like "oh he gon' do it" and I got WHIFFED.

Last edited:

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
Well yeah, I was kinda waiting for the "let's mosey" line. I missed it, even dreamed about it (see my post in predictions thread). And I genuinely wanted to hear how the VAs will deliver the line. But oddly enough I wasn't too disappointed I didn't get to hear it from Cloud.

Guess I'm still optimistic I'll get to hear the line in future installments.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
Not a frustration, but I'm starting to miss the OG camera angles. There was something about the way it used fixed shots and played around with perspective that was pure magic.

So far it's been an even trade-off - I'd say the newer version of Cloud and Aerith hopping rooftops is way more immersive, for example - but later? The Shinra Mansion staircase, Mt. Corel? That just won't be the same.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I guess even with Jessie literally kissing Cloud, it isn't enough for her angle to be allowed to be discussed over there.

Top Bottom