FFVII Remake: Intergrade Yuffie DLC Announced

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Then they could go and make the boss Restrictor and Weiss. That's possible too. It'd make sense given Weiss' power needing to be restricted and Restrictor was hyped during the Multiplayer storyline. If it's not Genesis or Nero with Weiss, it's gonna be Restrictor and Weiss.

Powers being in Yuffie's league or not, they're gonna use a hyped villain from Dirge of Cerberus. It's either Genesis, Nero or Restrictor. They'll simply hold back and Sonon will be the poor bastard who takes the brunt of it :monster:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
For anyone curious, someone has kindly translated the Japanese version of the trailer, where 'revenge' is mentioned:

Oh interesting, so Sonon (and the player) will learn more about her true story on the train ride. I reckon we won’t know what’s true and what’s a lie until we got to Wutai, but I’m eager to bite each hook they dangle before me.

This is the kind of expansion and change that I for one am totally jazzed about. Why is there any criticism about Yuffie in Midgar at all? I have no idea why time-travelling Yazoo didn’t cross people’s lines but this is a bridge too far.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
This is the kind of expansion and change that I for one am totally jazzed about. Why is there any criticism about Yuffie in Midgar at all? I have no idea why time-travelling Yazoo didn’t cross people’s lines but this is a bridge too far.
Are people complaining about it? Exactly one person I know thinks it's dumb to spin it that she was in Midgar "AaaAaALL AaalooOooNng," but otherwise I've seen nothing but positivity for this. I think having Yuffie more involved with the plot from the get-go is a good call, because she needs more motivation for her actions this time around and it ties her more to the main story.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
They're going to make the boss encounter hype worthy and surprising. And Argento sadly ain't that. :monster:
I mean ... I would be excited about that? And in any case, if they were overly concerned with "hype worthy," they wouldn't be cracking the lid of the Dirge barrel in the first place. =P

I'm stoked by this trailer because I'm a Dirge fan, and so are you. But all four of DC's fans on the planet are posting in this thread. =P I expect most of the fanbase collectively rolled eyes at the end of this trailer, though.

I guess I'm just wondering how Yuffie could still be portrayed as a goofy, careless kid after having a companion of hers die fighting Shinra. It just feels a little too serious.

Goofy is part of her personality, but I don't think careless ever has been? She's always been portrayed as rather intense and driven.

And there's no way she doesn't know people from long before this who died fighting Shin-Ra.

Nomura said the boss would be a "new" character though, didn't he? He specifically said it wasn't Weiss, anyway.

"New boss character" is how it was phrased, and that's gameplay speak.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I mean, Yuffie's fully realized in terms of being a complete character but her motivation to join the overarching plot with the group is the thinnest amongst them all. It's reminiscent of FFVI. She went along for the ride and got attached to her friends along the way.

Her animosity towards Shinra is the strongest thread that binds her but it's not exactly detailed. Only implied and referenced briefly. The Remake is going beyond that already.

I'm stoked by this trailer because I'm a Dirge fan, and so are you. But all four of DC's fans on the planet are posting in this thread. =P I expect most of the fanbase collectively rolled eyes at the end of this trailer, though.

They're going to go big. That's their style. Yeah DC isn't the most popular Compilation title. But it had some of the hypest moments with the OG cast, that were not in Advent Children. And Nomura clearly has some feelings of untapped potential he wishes to realize. Why let slip the desire to have Cloud vs Weiss?

Think about every other DLC or final mix boss Nomura and co. have done. They make these enemies hype worthy. From Yozora, Lingering Will, Sephiroth and even the strongest Weapons. They're gonna make it something memorable to tide us over until Part 2.

I mean, Argento might show up but I don't see her being the top secret or end of episode boss.

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I hard disagree on this point, I think she’s a fully realized character in OG, but they can do what they like with Remake timeline, as long as I get photo mode :wacky:
Let me try again. "I think she needs more clear motivation for joining and sticking with Cloud beyond 'stealing his stuff' this time." Having her be connected and working with Avalanche already, and seeing Tifa and Barret as "the guys who blew up the reactor" certainly helps with that.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I imagine that, even though the general sentiment isn't certainly positive, I feel like with the way the Remake handled Deepground and other Compilation stuff in the first game, most of us are fairly "optimistic" with what's going to happen.

Most people are much more wary of the new stuff that the Remake brought since, ironically or not, the original stuff was very much really well implemented.

Of course, there are the die-hard murderous-driven Genesis haters that believe even if the character is remotely mentioned, the game instantly becomes a 0/10.

waw

Pro Adventurer
I heavily second the idea of the Restrictor showing up. I'd love a bit more lore on that figure. If Yuffie and Sonon's little adventure happened upon Usher or some other SOLDIER being used to overthrow the Restrictor, I'd just die a little out of happiness. I know it won't but... like... that could be Roche.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I heavily second the idea of the Restrictor showing up. I'd love a bit more lore on that figure. If Yuffie and Sonon's little adventure happened upon Usher or some other SOLDIER being used to overthrow the Restrictor, I'd just die a little out of happiness. I know it won't but... like... that could be Roche.
If they come across Usher that's... not great... because that would mean Shelke is using SND on all of them to make them see someone that isn't there. A plot twist of DoC Online is that all the "memories" the players sees aren't their actual memories... they're something Shelke put in their heads. Same thing with Usher.

What is it with FFVII and people who can mess with what people see/think...

Ite

AKA
Ite
Let me try again. "I think she needs more clear motivation for joining and sticking with Cloud beyond 'stealing his stuff' this time." Having her be connected and working with Avalanche already, and seeing Tifa and Barret as "the guys who blew up the reactor" certainly helps with that.

I’m gonna disagree again lol, not because I think what you’re saying is way off base, but I’m laser focusing on your use of the word “need.” And I’ll reiterate that I think that this new Yuffie yarn is exciting to me, but in no way am I jumping to the conclusion that expanding on her in this way is going to be the stronger choice. I’m a huge fan of clarity, and OG Yuffie’s motives and behaviour is as clear as you can get. I’m avoiding the word “simple” because I fear it may give the wrong impression, but Yuffie’s consistent OG characterization as a morally dubious, scheming ambusher is a source of delight for me. At this point Remake has trained me to leave what I loved about the OG at the door, but I can’t agree that there was anything lacking to begin with.

Where we do see eye to eye, I think, is that this is probably going to be really fun.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
She can still be a morally dubious, scheming ambusher while also having real stakes and involvement in the fight against Shinra aside from committing theft.

While Yuffie was done as well as a secret character from a PS1-era J-RPG game such as her needed to be, there's a lot of negative space to her writing, now that we have a much wider gameplay canvas to work with and a story that's more expanded with the tools of modern gameplay at its disposal.

It'd be a waste of writing and resources to simply leave Yuffie exactly the same. Just like they didn't leave Barret, Tifa, Aerith or Cloud the same either. There's waaay more to do with them now that we have a larger scope of a PS4/PS5 era game.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I’m gonna disagree again lol, not because I think what you’re saying is way off base, but I’m laser focusing on your use of the word “need.” And I’ll reiterate that I think that this new Yuffie yarn is exciting to me, but in no way am I jumping to the conclusion that expanding on her in this way is going to be the stronger choice. I’m a huge fan of clarity, and OG Yuffie’s motives and behaviour is as clear as you can get. I’m avoiding the word “simple” because I fear it may give the wrong impression, but Yuffie’s consistent OG characterization as a morally dubious, scheming ambusher is a source of delight for me. At this point Remake has trained me to leave what I loved about the OG at the door, but I can’t agree that there was anything lacking to begin with.

Where we do see eye to eye, I think, is that this is probably going to be really fun.

I didn't mean to imply there was anything lacking. Yuffie is basically on par with Red XIII or Cid as far as "why are you here" reasons in the original game, and it worked fine there. You're focusing on my use of "need" where I'd be focusing on my use of "this time." The story they're telling is more complex than it used to be, so Yuffie's role was inevitably going to be expanded. Giving her a proper introduction rather than having her bumble into the party will work better for what the remake is doing, I feel.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Just thinking out loud here, since Weiss can perform a SND, perhaps the Weiss we'll fight in the VR room of Intergrade will be his actual mind given form and not just a digital copy. Doesn't really make a difference either way, but would feel cooler knowing we're challenging the real thing.

Super happy I get to read a discussion on Deepground in 2021.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Just thinking out loud here, since Weiss can perform a SND, perhaps the Weiss we'll fight in the VR room of Intergrade will be his actual mind given form and not just a digital copy. Doesn't really make a difference either way, but would feel cooler knowing we're challenging the real thing.

That’s kind of my thinking as well, as he seems excited for “the hunt” — perhaps a way to satisfy his cruelty while locked up or wherever he is during the OG.

Ite

AKA
Ite
I need to start reading up on Crisis Core and DoC, otherwise I’m going to be very confused when this comes out...

As with 7R1, I'm curious as to what the story's impact will be if you go in "blind" to Final Fantasy VII Remake Interrobang, from just the OG, just 7R1, OG+7R1, or neither (starting the franchise with Yuffie main is now possible! :aah: )

I assume they would have the same treatment that the Remake had in regards to any content: made for both newcomers oldschoolers

Quite right. (edi)

Anyway, here are the two best gifs ever:

yuffie sleight.gif

yuffie attack.gif

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Wait, who would let him, of all people, get near a computer??? :monster:

Ite

AKA
Ite
Wait, who would let him, of all people, get near a computer??? :monster:

This guy maybe:
AccomplishedWebbedIndianrockpython-mobile.jpg

Top Bottom