FFVII REMAKE Official MODS Thread

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm not as passionate about "Aeris" as Ite, but I do always feel compelled to be pedantic and point out that it was not a "mistranslation." "エアリス" isn't a word, and therefore there is no "translating" it. Aerith, Aeris, Earisu, Airiss, and countless other renderings would all have been perfectly valid localizations.
Now, it's clear that they had "Aerith" in mind when came up with it because we see it written that way on Japanese media before FFVII's localization. (Although by that logic you could say the city's really supposed to be Midgal. :monster: ) So I don't dispute that "Aerith" is correct, but it's also not a mistranslation, as such.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I lean hard into non-Christian traditions of myth/folklore, where canon and trademarks just don’t apply. I think I may prefer Purple Cloud, or the Barret’s Theme mod, or McSephiroth, why is that upsetting to you? I’m not forcing you to do it, and I’m not insisting anything I like is canon, because that’s just not how I approach things.

That’s a really neat proof of concept trailer for a “classic cam” mod. I wonder if they still had to control Cloud as normal while filming it. Would be disorienting. It’s a big task to implement the kind of camera you see while in the fire escape in Chapter 2 (there are only a few other instances with a fixed cam in the game: when Aerith is dangling in Ch 8 is the only one that comes immediately to mind). Turning the whole game into that is not my cup of tea, but neat to see!
I'm not as passionate about "Aeris" as Ite, but I do always feel compelled to be pedantic and point out that it was not a "mistranslation." "エアリス" isn't a word, and therefore there is no "translating" it. Aerith, Aeris, Earisu, Airiss, and countless other renderings would all have been perfectly valid localizations.
Now, it's clear that they had "Aerith" in mind when came up with it because we see it written that way on Japanese media before FFVII's localization. (Although by that logic you could say the city's really supposed to be Midgal. :monster: ) So I don't dispute that "Aerith" is correct, but it's also not a mistranslation, as such.
It’s just a weird thing to care enough about to want to revert back after knowing it’s wrong, is all…almost feels like still mispronouncing somebody’s name after learning you’ve been saying it wrong for years lol (obviously Aerith’s not a real person TO offend but still) reminds me of people who still pronounce Naruto “nuh-ROO-doh” even after they’ve watched the damn thing lol

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
For a real person I’d think “Aeris” sounds better but in a game where I’m expected to take an MC named “Cloud Strife” seriously, “Aerith” at least sounds enough to me like a fantasy name and not like English words chosen just because they sound cool to non-native English speakers (looking at you, Hideo Kojima)

Funny enough, “Eris” is the Greek goddess of strife…don’t let the shippers hear that one…

Look, all I’m saying is if we’re going for emulating the original experience as much as possible down to recreating mistakes, somebody ought to make a mod that brings back those beloved PS1 door textures lol

ForceStealer

Double Growth
When I was little, I assumed the reference was to "heiress," as she's the heir to the Cetra and their legacy. And yes, between that and the Greek god (two if you want to count Eros :desu: ), I always had to roll my eyes at the purists who said they just knew it was wrong from the beginning because it's so obviously a reference to 'earth'.

I'm happy to type Aerith all day, but of the few people I know in real life that are familiar with FF7, they only ever knew "Aeris" anyway, so it's usually easier for me to just say that and not sound like I have a lisp as a bonus. :monster:

My wishy-washy conviction carries over to Yuffie, too. I know the correct pronunciation is "you-fee," and I even say it that way now. But I will continue to maintain that they spelled it wrong for that pronunciation. It looks like it should rhyme with fluffy. They should have spelled it "Yufi."

Reactions: Ite

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
We could go with the Honest Game Trailers nickname for her: “Mike Tyson Trying To Pronounce Aeris” lol

I’m sure some casual fans may not be in the know but it’s definitely not something I expected from hardcore fans who’ve known her official name for years…just one of many quirks about this fanbase that surprised me when I first got into FF7

I imagine something similar will happen if more people start hearing the correct pronunciation for Cait Sith

ForceStealer

Double Growth
lol, that's another one that I would be more inclined to correct if they spelled it in a way that looked more, well, Gaelic. Like cat sidhe or at least the accent on sìth.
But I am curious to see what they do. In Dirge of Cerberus, Cid starts to refer to him as "Kate," ("So about Cait- I mean Reeve...when the hell did he get so important?!"). Obviously I don't expect that to have any bearing on what they decide to do for Remake, I just wonder if it says anything about their approach. If I had to bet though, I'd say people just weren't paying attention with Dirge and it'll be ket she.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Definitely curious on how the English localization picks up on that, I’m just glad they got “MAH-koh” instead of “MAY-koh”…

While we’re on the subject, I’ve changed “Aeris” to “Aerith” on every single playthrough of the OG including my first playthrough with the foreknowledge that “Aerith” was correct since I didn’t want to get attached to the wrong name.

On the other hand, I’ve changed “Cait Sith” to “Cat Shit” on every playthrough since my first one so I’ll happily welcome a mod that does the same for future titles lol.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
To be fair, those incorrect romanizations didn't nearly get as much traction or use in public or Square media like "Aeris" did.

"Aerith" is used in official Japanese products, promotional materials, and is even hardcoded as a default name for Aerith in FFVII if you somehow get her added to the main party outside of the traditional meeting point that raises the flag to have her join the party. However, localization missed all that and it was her name until Kingdom Hearts corrected it in 2001.

I think it's funny though, that at this point "Aerith" has been her name far longer than "Aeris." :monster:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I'm happy to type Aerith all day, but of the few people I know in real life that are familiar with FF7, they only ever knew "Aeris" anyway, so it's usually easier for me to just say that and not sound like I have a lisp as a bonus.

I've never understood the joke/perception that "Aerith" makes a person sound like they have a lisp. Do words like "bandwidth", "twentieth", or "labyrinth" also make a person sound like they have a lisp? Of course not. Plus I find the joke in bad taste to people that actually have a lisp.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Do the "Aeris" people also want him to be called "Sephiros"?

No, because Sephiroth/Sephirot is a word. Conversely, do you also want Rufus to be called Rufuth?

I've never understood the joke/perception that "Aerith" makes a person sound like they have a lisp. Do words like "bandwidth", "twentieth", or "labyrinth" also make a person sound like they have a lisp? Of course not

I wasn't making a joke, I was saying that that is how it would sound to someone who played FF7 back then but is not enough of a fan to be aware that it's now Aerith. Which also addresses what you don't understand. The reason is simply because they originally encountered the word with an S. So to say it with a th would sound that way. If it was originally "labyrins" and it was later changed to "labyrinth," you would find the same perception.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Which also addresses what you don't understand. The reason is simply because they originally encountered the word with an S.

and not sound like I have a lisp as a bonus. :monster:

No I understand. Though your original comment boils down to "wouldn't want people to think I have a lisp" and even ends with the hallowed cookie monster emoji, so it's definitely trying to be humorous and isn't the type of humor I'd double down on defending. But now I'm arguing over semantics and this isn't the hill I planned to die on.

Last edited:

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I wasn't making a joke, I was saying that that is how it would sound to someone who played FF7 back then but is not enough of a fan to be aware that it's now Aerith.
I know in my case it’s only really jarring for me when it’s from somebody who is enough of a fan to know it’s officially been Aerith for far longer than it hasn’t…incidentally, I still can’t figure out what in the blue hell is the right way to pronounce the name Ra’s al Ghul from Batman

Top Bottom