SPOILERS FFVII Remake Open Spoiler Discussion Thread

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T

The skybox used in Chapter 13. The destruction of the Sector 7 plate fall is completely missing. Both the central pillar and surrounding slums are undamaged. It's as if the plate simply vanished. This degree of inconsistency is truly baffling to me.

Hopefully some kind soul out there with Photoshop skills can alleviate this issues when the game is out on PC.

Last edited:

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I really dont know how this possibly could have happened. It had to be a special situation right? Like, there was simply no time to correct or something. It's such a big fuck up, that nothing kind of comes close.

EDIT: Came across this thread by the same guy trying to explain the faulty textures and what patches means on these type of situations. No mention of the faulty skybox tho.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Chapter 13's skybox not showing the remnants of the plate at least makes some logical sense to me. That would have been a project and they either did not have the time or the will to complete. That's not defending it, just that I get it.

The wrong plate being over Sector 5 is the baffling one. ESPECIALLY since we know a version of the game had the right one!! What could have happened there?

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
ESPECIALLY since we know a version of the game had the right one!!

How so? Was a correct Sector 5 skybox found in the game files?

Considering there's a tunnel between Sector 5 and 6, I don't understand why the game isn't able to switch skyboxs as the player runs through it. Like, if it's a loading issue then make the tunnel longer or something.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
So why is the lighting different? That has nothing to do with the skybox... it’s almost like, in order to get the sunshine they wanted, they decided to swap skyboxes on purpose.

Reactions: Wol

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
That's kind of like the issue here. Swapping the skyboxes is a pretty glaring mistake that someone would have catched up eventually, right? There has to be some kind of reason as to why it happened. I cant say it was on purpose, but still. It's so....weird actually.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Re: slums skybox. I actually thought about it, but my thoughts seem so much at odds with everybody else's that I'm contemplating that my opinion is bullshit. BUT, since we're in a good community where I feel comfortable enough to make a fool of myself, I'm going to share that with you.
OK here goes: one of the consequences of the game design is that Sectors 5 AND 6 are actually managed as a single seamless environment. There is actually no point between the two sectors where you would have a transition that would allow you to switch skyboxes between a Sector 5 skybox and a Sector 6 skybox. So... what can you do? If you use a Sector 5 skybox, then what you see in Sector 6 would be wrong, and vice-versa.
There's no real way to solve it, unless you have a skybox that changes dynamically (I wouldn't have any idea about how to do that). Another problem is that if you were to say, make a very low poly of the Plate and put some high res textures on it, you do not physically travel enough distance in the game to make a perspective change on what you see in the sky. There is a discrepancy (a common one in video games) between "physically traveled distance" and "distance you are supposed to feel" (the former being generally 1-2 orders of magnitude smaller than the latter). Physically, the distance between the church of Sector 5 and the gate to Sector 7 (which could be viewed as traveling through 1.5 Sector) amounts to a few hundreds of metres...
My current bottom-line is: as much as people are expressing grief about the Sector 5/6 skyboxes, I personally do not see a straightforward way to fix it given how the environments are designed.
Or maybe I'm just dumb :mon:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
That was an early theory, and one that made enough sense to me, but others have pointed out that you do pass through a tunnel that could totally be used to load a new skybox.

But even if that was the issue, I would argue they made the wrong decision about which one to go with. You spend more time in Sector 5 during the day, so I'd have stuck the Sector 5 plate there if I could only choose one :monster:
ALSO, if I could only choose one, I wouldn't include a dialogue exchange where Cloud remarks to Aerith about the different Sector 6 plate after having just made players be under it for a whole chapter, lol

Last edited:

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
That was an early theory, and one that made enough sense to me, but others have pointed out that you do pass through a tunnel that could totally be used to load a new skybox.

EDIT: I double-checked, you're correct. Thanks for pointing that out. I see where the tunnel is on the other path now.

I'd have stuck the Sector 5 plate there if I could only choose one :monster:
Maybe that would have worked for most people.
But I'm pretty sure that if they had made that choice, you'd have found folks saying "when you're in the Wall Market, there's the Skybox of Sector 5 lol".

So... personally, that's the sort of issues where I tend to be fairly forgiving.

Last edited:

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
So many awesome editing choices in that video! Are some of these voice clips from Dissidia? I haven't heard Sephiroth say things like "Shall I give you despair" or "Where did you find this strength" in the FFVIIR battle.

2:26
"They're no pushovers"
Sephiroth has truly hit rock bottom to say these words in a battle against frogs/toads.
No but he does say I will show you despair and the planet will claim you which is close enough, he also says have you forgotten already?.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member

But even if that was the issue, I would argue they made the wrong decision about which one to go with. You spend more time in Sector 5 during the day, so I'd have stuck the Sector 5 plate there if I could only choose one :monster:
ALSO, if I could only choose one, I wouldn't include a dialogue exchange where Cloud remarks to Aerith about the different Sector 6 plate after having just made players be under it for a whole chapter, lol
Also we know the tunnel between Sector 5 and 6 Slums actually is used for some loading since once you cross it, the Sector 5 support pillar disappears once you cross to the Sector 6 Slums side (despite the skyboxes being the same Sector 6 plate on both sides). It really is strange.

Smoothie King

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pat
Ok, I have a logistical Midgar question. I basically have the city figured out (at least the parts we can traverse).

One thing that is still confusing to me is at the start of chapter 15 when we leap over the wall separating sector 6 from sector 7. We are walking around sector 7, which is clearly under the plate... but it looks like an upper plate neighborhood and is obviously not a part of the slums, because we lived in the slums! But then I thought everything under the plate was part of the slums. At first I thought we were walking through Sector 7's upper plate but that can't be right. That wall was only 40 feet high.

Random, I know. Any help?

Edit: wait! Is it the fallen portion of the upper plate!?

Last edited:
Top Bottom