SPOILERS FFVII Remake Open Spoiler Discussion Thread

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
This is what I don't understand. What's wrong with the game how it was that you even wanted a "replacement?"

Because it's old and pixellated and doesn't have analog support and the translation is terrible and Tifa calls Barret retarded? I could go on, but essentially, I love FF7 because it's lovable to me, but there's just no way it deserves to be lost to the annals of time, only replayed by old fans, while stories that are less deserving are widespread because they look nice. It's easy to facelift a PS3-or-later game, that's why Skyrim and GTA V show up on every console. FF7 OG also comes around, but we all know it's only us buying it again. Why not have a modern looking game with a kickass battle system and a classic story of rebellion and identity? We got a tub full of that, but at the last second they threw a live toaster in there.

Some people are talking about Remake using the first definition of the word, and others are using the second one. You're not talking about the same thing and this discussion is going round in circles.

Except 7R falls under neither definition. It's like saying you're remaking a sourdough loaf and throwing time travelling ghosts in it!! Or you're remaking Gone With the Wind but instead of glorifying slave ownership you have time travelling ghosts in it!!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
e, but there's just no way it deserves to be lost to the annals of time, only replayed by old fans
but we all know it's only us buying it again.
I mean, I played the original for the first time in 2013. I was friggen born three months after it came out. I also know others who only played it recently too. The game has issues, sure, but it holds up fine. I don't see how it would really benefit from analogue control either, the maps aren't very complex.

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
you're remaking Gone With the Wind but instead of glorifying slave ownership you have time travelling ghosts in it!!
That would fall under the second definition. FF7R is a Remake made with the second definition in mind.
Sorry if it wasn't what you wanted, SE wanted to try something different and they spoiled the bread for you but some people actually liked it because it was different from the bread they had before.
OG:
bread.jpg
Remake:
Hearty-Yeast-Free-Bread-WS-Thumbnail.jpg

The oats are the time ghosts.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
For the record, I didn't want a remake :monster:

But like, what I don't understand this polarizing mindset that dislike for stuff in this remake comes from an unwillingness for change? I dont understand why that always becomes the focus of this conversation, because it completely strawmans the issues people bring up.

I don't think " fear of change" or " well "it's different so you don't like it" are fair descriptors for the problems people are having.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Pretty sure the creators are actively against the idea of Remake being some kind of definitive replacement to the original, hence why the Remake even exists in the first place. I can definitely see how from a creator’s point of view, revisiting old work could be unsatisfying unless you have something new that can be done with it.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Pretty sure the creators are actively against the idea of Remake being some kind of definitive replacement to the original, hence why the Remake even exists in the first place. I can definitely see how from a creator’s point of view, revisiting old work could be unsatisfying unless you have something new that can be done with it.

Again, that's why I found the stuff with Marle and Roche and Chadley and Jessie and the Trio so inspired. I was loving this game before it jumped the shark, and it did so harder than I've ever seen anything do.

Accusations that I didn't want anything to change or that I just wanted a warm nostalgia blanket totally strawman me. edit: ninja'd by looneymoon

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Except 7R falls under neither definition. It's like saying you're remaking a sourdough loaf and throwing time travelling ghosts in it!! Or you're remaking Gone With the Wind but instead of glorifying slave ownership you have time travelling ghosts in it!!

Just say Pride and Prejudice and Zombies :awesome:

FF7 and Time Travel wishes it could pull that off :(

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I was loving this game before it jumped the shark, and it did so harder than I've ever seen anything do.
Seemed pretty par for the course to me considering how ridiculous the original game is, though there’s only so much I think we can judge considering the story isn’t even over
Accusations that I didn't want anything to change or that I just wanted a warm nostalgia blanket totally strawman me.
Not that I think you’re accusing me of anything, but technically that statement would also be a strawman if nobody here accused you of that in the first place. But never mind that, I’m really interested to know how you would have handled the Whispers (and not just getting rid of them altogether).

Ite

AKA
Ite
Just say Pride and Prejudice and Zombies :awesome:
FF7 and Time Travel wishes it could pull that off :(
It would be like going to a movie called Pride and Prejudice and getting Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Like, I'm totally baffled why people don't understand the upset? lol

I mean, I played the original for the first time in 2013. I was friggen born three months after it came out. I also know others who only played it recently too. The game has issues, sure, but it holds up fine. I don't see how it would really benefit from analogue control either, the maps aren't very complex.

You are a unique spud and I wish there were more out there like you.

Not that I think you’re accusing me of anything, but technically that statement would also be a strawman if nobody here accused you of that in the first place.
Totally wasn't directed at you, or anyone in this discussion in particular, it's just the most common counter-criticism of anything levelled at the game.
But never mind that, I’m really interested to know how you would have handled the Whispers

Hoo let me tell you----!

(and not just getting rid of them altogether).

Damnit.

Last edited:

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I don't think " fear of change" or " well "it's different so you don't like it" are fair descriptors for the problems people are having.
It definitely is for some but of course, not everybody
I mean, I played the original for the first time in 2013.
I played both OG and Remake for the first time about 3 months ago and loved them both, though I definitely don’t expect everybody to feel the same. I think the fear of the unknown tends to make people overlook that most of the game up until that point was still remade pretty faithfully.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Okay, in all seriousness, I would made whispers proto-projections of Sephiroth, something that Jenova is able to do between sleep and wakefulness -- her captivity in the Shinra building prevents her from doing anything else. I would expand the roles of the numbered guys, and the whispers would be introduced as somehow connected with them - helping them in some way, or perhaps rumored to be conjured by the strange sick people. The whispers would first appear terrifying to the party but ultimately prove helpful, unable to interact with the world but through their presence they help Cloud out of a few sticky situations. By the time you get to Shinra HQ, Cloud and the player should trust them implicitly. In Shinra HQ, the whispers gesture at something and you follow the direction unthinkingly -- this begins a chain reaction that leads to Jenova's escape. When the door to Cloud's cell opens, he can wonder if the whispers did it, then remembers that no, they can't actually interact with the world (an assumption that is no longer correct!) At the end of the highway chase, Sephiroth appears, surrounded by whispers - you've been helping Sephiroth return all along!! He summons corporeal whispers as a final boss, then vanishes.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Funny because I think defeating the whispers actually allowed Jenova to take control of them, so it’s not too far off from what you wrote. Maybe Sephiroth absorbing the whispers helps Jenova either rewrite history or create this powerful illusion strong enough to affect the entire planet and bind the world to her control.

Maybe Zack’s survival is an illusion! I can see it now: part 2 teases Zack several times but you never actually meet him until the end of the game and rather than a happy reunion, he just turns into Jenova for a crazy final boss fight.

Ite

AKA
Ite
(sorry for the hiccup, lots of posts all at once)

Heh ;) I guess what I’m trying to ask is if there’s really any other way to achieve the same effect that the Remake ending has without doing something this drastic. How else would we be able to feel this much uncertainty about the future if they just retold the OG without major deviations?

My issue I guess is that us feeling "uncertain about the future" is something that is only relevant between releases of FF7 Remake parts. My issue is that "new" is only new once. Maybe it's my bias as an actor and musician who literally made most of his pre-covid living doing the same thing over and over, night after night -- a lot of the time, reciting scripts that are centuries old. I take the longview when it comes to storytelling, it's not that I don't love being surprised - quite the opposite. But my top priority is not freshness and newness, and I'm coming to realize that a lot of people's top priority was freshness and newness, which begs the question: why not just a new story altogether? Because this freshness and newness comes at the expense of the emotional fulcrum of Final Fantasy VII: life in the universe is precious, it's gone suddenly, and too soon, and no amount of magic will bring it back. That idea was summarily thrown away in Part 1, and Barret's revival was the point where I went from somewhat let-down to actively hostile towards the game.

While I go on about how I want the classic story to endure, I'm aware that nothing exists in a vacuum. I think that's why a 21st Century retelling of Final Fantasy VII presented a great opportunity in my point of view. We now live in a world in which "the 1%" is a common household term, a world in which anthropogenic climate change actively devastates the world instead of just being a dire warning, a world that creeps ever closer to transhumanism, late-stage capitalism, and a real reckoning with our own complacency in systemic oppression. I was really excited to see how these things would land anew in a story that has moustache-twirling villains making monsters for fun. I got time travelling ghosts instead.

Edit: If the whispers/timeline stuff represents a new thread of plot to keep interest in the game going between parts, to spark theories and to have old and new fans share in the unknown, and to have content creators on YouTube give Remake lots of free advertising, I'll concede that, from a marketing standpoint, there's something to it. This is one of the ways in which my thinking is definitely archaic, because I can't think of a way to do that that doesn't seem like an unnatural, shoehorned, very bad idea in the context of the story itself, which is where my interest lies. If that was the motivation behind the whispers and timeline stuff, I'm even less impressed than I was before. Allowing capitalist concerns to drive the writing isn't very in-the-spirit of FF7. I suppose something similar could be done with the larger Avalanche stuff (another great addition imo... so far <.<) but that's kind of abstract and wouldn't drum up the kind of "Comm-yoo-nee-tee engage-ment" they're going for. In short, I don't think I can answer your question.

Last edited:
Yes, just what we need, Zack having a hand on everything again.
Did you think that Aerith's ribbon was her idea? Surprise! It was Zack's!
Did you believed that 7th Heaven was Tifa's idea? Surprise! It was Zack's!

And more pointless shit was Zack's idea too, he was the Forrest Gump of FFVII.
The true actor behind it all though, FFVII's equivalent to the Star Wars Sith lord Jar Jar Binks, is Cait Sith. He was even there in Lucrecia's picnic basket, 30 years before the main game.
LSACSKC.png
1uH9LIJ.png

Cait Sith transcends the rules of both the Lifestream and Jenova, able to live without a spirit or even without its own cells. Cait Sith's existence is one of madness, an undead who can never truly die, and he wants nothing more than for all life to join his fate.

This is why Cait Sith has shattered the foundations of time. When the time comes for both Jenova's Reunion and for the Planet's time shards to be reunited, Cait Sith will be in the centre of it all. No longer a shell forced to walk the aeons, Cait Sith will transcend time and space and have full control of all living, dead and undead. All shall join his glory. Sephiroth is just Cait Sith's pawn in the larger scheme.

Or in other words: The cat did it.

cait_sith's_theme_music_collection_disc_final_fantasy_7_remake_wiki_guide_250px.jpg

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
That idea was summarily thrown away in Part 1, and Barret's revival was the point where I went from somewhat let-down to actively hostile towards the game.
Don’t you think Barret actually being dead would anger the fans though? Even without the whispers, I feel like our awareness of the OG’s events is a form of plot armor in itself since we already know who’s supposed to die and when. I guess I’m just convinced that the way death is treated in the ending of Remake is to build up a false sense of security that you-know-who might have a chance at surviving later. I could be wrong, of course, but I’m not expecting anybody who originally died in the OG to make it out of Remake alive by the time it’s all over.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Just out of curiosity, did you all even want a remake?

Yes. I'm not as salty as Ite, and I'm also not coming from his exact position, we just overlap. No part of what I was after had to do with definitive versions or ease in getting other people to play it. I wanted this for me, I don't give a shit about about other people playing it, lol. Most of my friends that play video games have played the original, and those that don't won't play a remake any more readily than they would the old one.

Graphics aside the original holds up just fine, all I would want is a new English localization so the plot is more comprehensible. That's all the new FFVII that was ever necessary, but so many people wanted so much more.

For old fans who don't like the remake, I'm not just going to say "why do you even care if the remake is weird when the original still exists." Ultimately more FFVII discourse than not is going to surround the remake from now on, so that'll unavoidably impact you regardless. I guess I'm wondering, is that really all that concerns you though? That the conversation will be inevitably altered the more the Remake drifts from the original? Is there some fear of getting left behind in a sea of new discussion? I dunno, maybe I'm small-minded, but that's the only reason I can think of.

The way I see it, if it was just going to be the same story with prettier visuals they should have done an OOT 3D and just updated the graphics while mostly leaving everything else alone. That'd be cheap, I think most people would be happy with it, and that's the treatment other FF games have gotten. However, that wouldn't live up to the expectations people have had for the past decade+ about what a "Final Fantasy VII" remake would be like.

Really, you've all been fucked from the day that that scummy PS3 demo got shown off. That put the image of AAA fully realized FFVII in peoples heads. If it was gonna be the same plot Square would have just done a remaster like I mentioned above, but if they're gonna go all out things have to be different. There's no way they could justify it otherwise. Not for how many games it's gonna take, not for how much money they're dumping into it. You should know that, you're all familiar with these people at this point, you know they're a bunch of weirdos with weird ideas who would definitely be unsatisfied with just retreading old ground just because you all don't want change. The "not specifically you guys in this thread but a more generalized 'you' refering to the larger FFVII community" dug this hole for yourselves inch by inch with every FFVII REMAKE rumor and wishlist, every time you asked the developers if they'd do it, every time you showed how much interest there was for it, every time square enix couldn't escape the shadow of a decades old PS1 game.

So I'll say again, did you all even want a remake? Because you got a fucking "REMAKE," built from the ground up as if it were a new game with a new plot and a whole load of new things to worry about, and you should have know it wouldn't be any other way.

"The promise has been made" mother fuckers.

*mic drop*

POTATO OUT!

This is what I don't understand. What's wrong with the game how it was that you even wanted a "replacement?"

I don't understand your rigid adherence to this idea that the only reason a remake could exist is because there's something wrong with the original. Stuff is remade all the time without a statement on the original. This is a weird position to insist on.

This is my favorite fictional world and I relish any opportunity to spend more time in it. This is why I want a remake, I wanted to be able experience being in Midgar, rather than just looking down at it. Feeling excited when I came to a sequence that I had forgotten would be there (such as Elmyra's flashback) because I was engrossed in the story and hte new perspective. This is why I spent so much of my time with the Remake looking up (like that lady in Sector 5)! That was incredible for me. To be enveloped by the world and the story of my favorite work of fiction. The meta narrative shit is at total opposition to this, I'm back outside of it again.

looney and Ite have covered the strawman that says people that didn't like it were just afraid of change, or I guess this permutation: that we fundamentally don't understand what a remake is. Like, how could you not see the difference between the first 90% of the game and the ending? Are you seriously suggesting that the additions made to that point - the Jessie chapter, the alterations to the Wall Market sequence, the world-building in the sidequests and the expanded Sectors 5 and 7 - WOULDN'T have constituted a remake, and would have just been them going through the motions to do something they've already done? That the remake sans time ghosts would have been on par with Ocarina of Time 3D on 3DS? I find that completely absurd. As Ite said, I was 1000% down with all of those changes. They bolstered my feeling of being in the world, of being able to see it from a new perspective and, yes, in fantastic graphical fidelity.

But again, the time ghost metanarrative is different. It works to actively push you out of the story, out of the world. "REMEMBER HOW THIS WENT BEFORE?!" they scream.

I’m really interested to know how you would have handled the Whispers (and not just getting rid of them altogether).

After the ending, yes I want to get rid of them altogether. While I was actually playing through the game, I actually thought they were a fun a little nod to the fact that this is a remake. That the game was playfully, and winkingly acknowledging that you've done this before, and even that interpretation that the ghosts were us. So I didn't mind them for most of it. The more they materially interfered in events, the less I liked the idea. And by the end, any semblance of playful winking was gone. They're not a nod to this being a remake, they're saboteurs to the whole project.

Heh ;) I guess what I’m trying to ask is if there’s really any other way to achieve the same effect that the Remake ending has without doing something this drastic. How else would we be able to feel this much uncertainty about the future if they just retold the OG without major deviations?

Why is this amount of "uncertainty" necessary, though? What advantage does this afford the game? With the way most of the Remake went, I would have been out-of-my-mind excited for part 2. The splitting into parts feeling wholly justified. Given the degree to which they nailed so many scenes in Midgar, and the substantive additions they made, I'd be beside myself with eagerness to see how they would represent other events. What elements might they add to Junon or the originally afterthought Fort Condor? Being inside Midgar was nearly a religious experience, imagine being inside the Temple of the Ancients, or the Cave of the Gi, or looking up in Junon to see all the terraced levels above you.
Now? Smeh, I guess I'll see it when it comes out. Most of that stuff will probably still be there, but who knows what other bullshit is coming with it. Who knows how many party members we'll pointlessly kill and bring back. Who knows how many times we'll have to fight a damn Sephiroth boss. And now the ending of every part is going to have to have some "What the fuck?" moment just so that we"re ~uncertain~ about the next part.

As I say I'm not as salty (or hostile, as he says) as Ite. Too much of the Remake was too good for that, I enjoyed the hell out of it. But without all that nonsense at the end, I would have been unspeakably excited and hyped. Now I'm only worried. So, thanks for that.

Don’t you think Barret actually being dead would anger the fans though?

So why pretend to kill him at all? This is a remake. Surprise me in the ways most of hte game already surprised me! By seeing how events are represented in this new perspective and engine. Don't just change shit at random to surprise me for it's own sake. That's lazy and dumb.
Seeing the way they utilized Hell House was a surprise. The whole fighting ring was a surprise that nonetheless fit PERFECTLY in the context of the Wall Market. I never would have come up with it and yet it was perfect. THAT is an enjoyable surprise. Stabbing Barret was just, "Okay. Well he's coming back." The former adds to the fabric of the world. The latter is purely the devs looking over their shoulder at you and desperately saying "Eh? Eh?! Bet you didn't see that coming did you, asshole!"

Last edited:

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Why is this amount of "uncertainty" necessary, though? What advantage does this afford the game?
I think from a creator’s perspective, it can be pretty unsatisfying when your audience already knows exactly what’s going to happen in the story so doing this forces us back into a place where we don’t know what to expect. The handling of the ending could have definitely been much better, but for some, the very idea of going somewhere new is fundamentally wrong. Hence why some critics get accused of being against change, since a lot of criticism boils down to “I don’t like this idea, it shouldn’t be here” rather than “how could this idea have been executed better”?
The latter is purely the devs looking over their shoulder at you and desperately saying "Eh? Eh?! Bet you didn't see that coming did you, asshole!"
Whether we realize it or not, our knowledge of the OG inherently limits just how much they can surprise us. Sure, they can expand things just as they did for most of the Remake but it’s all within the safe and comfortable framework of the OG which might be good enough for fans but as a writer, you lose the boundless freedom you once had 20 years ago. They’ve given themselves the power to go anywhere with an in-universe explanation and it levels the playing field back in their favor. Now, HOW exactly they wield this power is left to be determined...

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Whether we realize it or not, our knowledge of the OG inherently limits just how much they can surprise us. Sure, they can expand things just as they did for most of the Remake but it’s all within the safe and comfortable framework of the OG which might be good enough for fans but as a writer, you lose the boundless freedom you once had 20 years ago. They’ve given themselves the power to go anywhere with an in-universe explanation and it levels the playing field back in their favor. Now, HOW exactly they wield this power is left to be determined...

If the opportunity to expand and explore the world you created doesn't carry enough motivation for you as a creator/writer, don't make a remake. If your only motivation is to make something new, just make something new, then.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
If the opportunity to expand and explore the world you created doesn't carry enough motivation for you as a creator/writer, don't make a remake. If your only motivation is to make something new, just make something new, then.
They did both, though. They remade something AND they did something new. The remake aspect still exists and I’m sure we’ll still see our favorite scenes being remade in the future. It’s their story, I think they’re free to play by their own rules.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
They did both, though. They remade something AND they did something new. The remake aspect still exists and I’m sure we’ll still see our favorite scenes being remade in the future.

Most likely. And every time we do, I'll feel relieved that whatever it was was played straight, instead of whatever emotion I'm supposed to be feeling. Again, separating me from being in the world. When Nanaki's howl reverberates through Cosmo Canyon, with tears falling from Seto's stone face and Seto doesn't start talking or come back to life, I'll feel relieved instead of covered with goosebumps with a lump in my throat.

It’s their story, I think they’re free to play by their own rules.
Of course they are. And I'm free to say when they've done something stupid :monster:

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
And I'm free to say when they've done something stupid
But is it stupid because of how it’s executed, or is there no redeemable way that this idea can even exist and be done well? I think that’s what separates critique based on not wanting change from critique based on whether or not it’s good. I mean, you yourself point to things that you already know you’ll enjoy if they play it straight, which is already based on something familiar to you.

Edit: for the record, I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with not wanting the story to change, I just think we should be honest with ourselves when we say we’re open to new ideas when really, what we enjoyed were old ideas expanded. Maybe because I’m a new fan, I don’t really consider the time stuff to be undercutting everything established beforehand but rather expanding it further, though the jury’s still out in my book. We’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom