SPOILERS FFVII Remake Open Spoiler Discussion Thread

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I got my coworker to play it, who is only passing by familiar with the original because of some of the characters. After he was done I asked him what he thought of the whispers and some of the confusing plot stuff. He was just like "oh yeah, that was a cool final boss." He seemed like he really enjoyed the game.

To add to this, I have a good buddy who played FF7R as his first FF. He texted me afterwards "that was awesome." Again, that's just one case and proves nothing. From my own personal experience browsing social media, I'd argue I've seen more old fans concerned for new players than new players actually concerned themselves.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Wouldn't a corporate sellout version of FF7R be more likely to be a simple retread than taking a risk with something new?

Corporations are not afraid of anti-capitalist narratives. Those make money. They like money.
SQ sold the remake project as a faithful retelling though, I think many fans of the original would think twice before buying it if they knew about their intensions before-hand.

Gotta agree that SQ has balls to take risks, it will be interesting to see how much the sequels will sell considering the overall sell history of past FF sequels.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
I'm more interested in knowing what new players thought about Cait Sith's appearance than what they thought about Zack's. At least there was some connection to Cloud and Aerith for Zack. There's literally no explanation for Cait Sith. I know that it definitely confused my dad :P

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Honestly, Cait Sith is the most hilariously random and acontextual inclusion of the entire Remake.

Out of all the things that could've been thrown in the game randomly that would make no sense, Cait Sith is pretty small on the scale. However, his scene is truly a random mix of wtf, adorable, sad, hilarious, and just totally out there. The sight of the cartoon plushy robo-cat beating his fist on the ground in despair during such a tragic scene is... Something else. I personally found it cute but it doesn't surprise me that it probably elicited some head turns of utter confusion.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
SQ sold the remake project as a faithful retelling though, I think many fans of the original would think twice before buying it if they knew about their intensions before-hand.
SE had plenty of opportunities in interviews and the like to explain it was more of a squeal or 5th Compilation Title than a traditional Remake. I don't blame them for not highlighting how it would be different in the trailers, as that isn't where developers can easily explain the intentions behind their creative decisions. But that they kept pushing the "it's a Remake of the OG with some minor changes" in interviews... that I don't get. I'd think it would be possible to say something to the effect of "it's a Remake, but not like how remakes usually are" without spoiling too much.

It very much feels like they were being super careful about what terms they are using to give the impression they thought would sell the game the best... rather than actually describing what kind of story they were really making. In fact, it still feels like that. Like the developers are going "we know you wanted this type of game, so we are hyping the game up as being what you want when we know it isn't really that". It makes for a lot of cross-referencing different interviews and trying to guess at what the developers are really getting at.
Gotta agree that SQ has balls to take risks, it will be interesting to see how much the sequels will sell considering the overall sell history of past FF sequels.
The other thing I'll be interested in seeing way in the future is how many people will wait for the entire FF7 "Remake" series to be finished before playing through it. Because I wouldn't be surprised if some people are jaded about SE actually finishing the series and want to wait. Or aren't interested in a game that doesn't have a proper "ending" yet.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I disagree that they were coy specifically to help sell the game more. They were coy because they are very precious and careful with the narrative, and they wanted to keep the secret that this was not (just) a standard remake of the first and was also the next entry in the compilation.
I was trying to think of how to say precisely this.

I'll also add that I don't recall them saying only minor changes would take place; just that they feel like they know what can and can't be changed.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I know people were touting the "square tricked us" narrative because the box art just say "Final Fantasy VII Remake" without a "part 1" anywhere, but given Nomura's coy little comment about "Remake" having a special meaning, I get the feeling the next part will have a completely different subtitle.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Honestly, Cait Sith is the most hilariously random and acontextual inclusion of the entire Remake.

Out of all the things that could've been thrown in the game randomly that would make no sense, Cait Sith is pretty small on the scale. However, his scene is truly a random mix of wtf, adorable, sad, hilarious, and just totally out there. The sight of the cartoon plushy robo-cat beating his fist on the ground in despair during such a tragic scene is... Something else. I personally found it cute but it doesn't surprise me that it probably elicited some head turns of utter confusion.

I have watched a few people who never played FFVII stream Remake and the pattern was generally always the same - Zack's big scene at the end wasn't entirely confusing but rather just seen as a setup for the next part or a mystery to solve (with some putting together that he is probably the ex Aerith was talking about). Cait Sith on the other hand? Impenetrable mystery. Who the fuck was that? Why were they in that scene? Why is it a CAT?! What?!

It's kinda hilarious. :monster:

AKA
Alex
But for some strange, and obviously personal reason, they've resisted that strategy. Given how franchises today work to reboot every few years like clock work to capitalize on being entry-level and absorbing the maximum number of fans, the Remake is a clear aberration of the IP franchise model. But I'm almost certain that's by design. Kingdom Hearts existed in that same span of time the Compilation did and the creators there made sure to neatly release several collections of every relevant work on each system to lead up to KH3.

No such collection was done for the Remake of FFVII. Maybe we'll get one later on (which has been repeated since 2009) but until then they clearly feel content letting the Remake speak for itself and be it's own advertisement for jumping on board this train to who-knows-where. It clearly needs no help and the mystery is simply part of the fun. They don't want it to be neatly laid out. And if some new fan wants to take the plunge to dive even deeper, they want that fan to drown in that sea of FFVII apocrypha :monster:

Now you've gone and made me remember how there has never been a complete FF franchise collection in one unified format.

The closest we ever got was the 25th Anniversary Ultimate Set, which was:

(a) only released in Japan (meaning if you wanted it here, get ready for big import charges)
(b) only made for the PS3 in mind (but utilizing PS1 and PS2 discs, lol), and;
(c) is nowhere near the definitive version of any of the titles

For instance, one of my favourite FF's is IV. I love it - a true childhood staple. I can't currently buy a complete version of FFIV on PC. The original, unmodified OG SNES/Famicom versions aren't available without resorting to piracy. The only copy of IV I can buy is the revamped "chibi" version on PC, with none of the extras of the other variants. I can't buy the PSP "Complete Collection" that had the bestiary and exclusive "Interlude" chapter that has never been released. The version of The After Years I can buy on Steam is missing challenge dungeons that were present in the original "episodic" version of the mobile game.

Now that I think about it, I'm going to go write an article on this on TVTropes.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I know people were touting the "square tricked us" narrative because the box art just say "Final Fantasy VII Remake" without a "part 1" anywhere, but given Nomura's coy little comment about "Remake" having a special meaning, I get the feeling the next part will have a completely different subtitle.
Final Fantasy VII: Reborn
Final Fantasy VII: Reverse
Final Fantasy VII: Rewind
Final Fantasy VII: Renewal
Final Fantasy VII: Reworked
Final Fantasy VII: Rescinded
Final Fantasy VII: Reloaded
Final Fantasy VII: Revolutions
Final Fantasy VII: Replay
Final Fantasy VII: Reboot
Final Fantasy VII: Retired

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
FFVII.25 - Re:borned (because Zack reborns in an alternate reality and tries to save Aerith in Gaia 1)
FFVII.28 - After Crisis (Zack changes his name to Fenrir, becomes a villain)
FFVII.3 - Close to the Edge (Fenrir blows up the moon to avoid the edge of creation)
FFVII.32 - A Cloud in the Sky novel (Sora wakes up in Gaia and fights Cloud)
FFVII.4 - The Call of Fenrir movie (feat. some Kingdom Hearts characters killing Zack)

How can I make this worse?

Last edited:

Gazzdw

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Gaz
Be interested to know if anyone else was REALLY annoyed by the same tiny detail (aside from being crap addition/change to the story) but there were at least 2 occasions where whispers literally pushed characters off screen and it faded to black and suddenly they are back somewhere else? Its like how a child would do it. Really infuriated me, especially as it came after such a fantastic level and scene in the underground lab and then Wedge in the Shrina HQ.

I saw someone say on one of the forums a Whispers cut version of the game would make it so much better (problematic for the ending though).

Honestly what I took from the trailers before the release I thought the whispers wouldnt interfere that much to the story and certainly scenes. But jeeze.....

a_apple 2.0

Pro Adventurer
AKA
a_apple
Some people brought up a interesting point in that thread, it doesn't make sense for Cloud to remember any of those other experiments since in Nibelheim 5 years ago, it was just Zack and him and we know from all the other depiction of the Nibel incidence that the laboratory in the basement has only two tanks so what the fug did Cloud see there and where did it come from?

Edit: So I looked that scene up since my memories were a bit fuzzy and it looks more like that those images are not memories but just images of those poor souls who are still chilling in those tubes lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom