SPOILERS FFVII Remake Open Spoiler Discussion Thread

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Or perhaps it's a sort of FFXIV situation where there was only one timeline originally -- i.e. it got splintered into many at some point, and the arbiters have been slowly getting them whittled back down by making them match as much as possible?
I'm... very sure it's not at all similar to FFXIV's world. For one thing, it wasn't the timeline that was splintered, it was the world's entire metaphysical structure.... For another, FFXIV's Lifestream situation is very different than FFVII's is.

FFXIV's timeline wasn't splintered... instead, it's actual world was. Only some splinters have been forced back together as time has gone on. The worlds are... very much separate, and the being that serves the FFXIV world as its... Lifestream director (for lack of a better term) wants them to stay as separate as possible while her enemies would like to make the world "whole"... which kills all the life on the separate worlds when they rejoin the original one. No one who is a "good guy" wants this to happen by the way... speiciflcy because it kills off an entire world's worth of life. The different splintered worlds all have their own histories too (and even different rates at which time "passes"), which are very dfferent from the "main" world. This is viewed as being totally fine.

Ironically, FFXIV has at least two times that time-travel has happened. Both with seemingly no negative consequences either. The first would be when Alexander was summoned. In FFXIV, he's a giant time-line simulator and is supposed to calculate all possible future timelines and then chose which one is the "best". And he can manipulate time (send things back, freeze time, etc.). He ultimately decides the "best future" is the one where nothing changes from how it was going to go and essentially locks himself up in a single instant of frozen time so he can't effect the time-line anymore (or absorb energy from the surrounding area in catastrophic amounts). The story itself is a stable time-loop.

The second time would be Shadowbringers Spoilers, so that's underneath.
The story after Stormblood goes so bad that the Ironworks (an organization that makes a lot of Dues Ex Machina with their knowledge of technology) decides that they really don't have anything to lose by making a time-traveling device to go back to when you were alive and try to make history end up not being so terrible. Your character is famous enough by this point that "use our own doomed timeline to make sure your character can make their own timeline end up better" sounds like a good idea to a lot of people.

To build the time-travel machine... they end up using a lot of technology they've copied from other beings you've fought. Stuff like a robot that can create it's own dimensions, a crystal tower that generates crazy amounts of energy from sunlight and has a door that can open to other dimentions and... the robot that can simulate time-lines and travel backwards in time. So yeah, they build their own version of Alexander and calculate when the person going back in time should "arrive" to head off the doomed timeline from ever happening. And then use a combination of Alexander's time-travel powers and the other robots dimension hopping powers to actually time-travel.

Your character ends up destroying the time-travel part. Probably so the story team could plug the plot-hole of why more time-travel shinangians couldn't happen later...

It should be noted that both of these stories involve beings that physically travel back in time instead of sending memories back in time to their younger selves. At some points, you legitimately have two versions of the same being existing in two different places at the same time! One older and one younger. They also feature a world that really don't "push against" the idea of time-travel. It kinda just happens and everything goes on like normal. Granted, in FFXIV, the Lifestream (or the being in it) is very much on your side and is all but actively working (as much as they are able to) to make sure you win.

Last edited:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I was joking (re Ellie's ascent to godhood, not about not understanding the ref to ND.) In terms of not being fantasy, I'd probably go for EA's endless FIFA games.

ND games are okay, but they don't tend to be my favourites. (Although Amy Hennig has my eternal respect for writing LoK-which are actually games about defying fate, oddly enough.).

DOTF feels kinda like the game they would have made if they hadn't run out of time, which makes it hard to credit them with going somewhere new.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Oh, no, not again. We've been killing God as the final boss since FFX.
Tactics even. :monster:
I'm... very sure it's not at all similar to FFXIV's world. For one thing, it wasn't the timeline that was splintered, it was the world's entire metaphysical structure.... For another, FFXIV's Lifestream situation is very different than FFVII's is.

FFXIV's timeline wasn't splintered... instead, it's actual world was. Only some splinters have been forced back together as time has gone on. The worlds are... very much separate, and the being that serves the FFXIV world as its... Lifestream director (for lack of a better term) wants them to stay as separate as possible while her enemies would like to make the world "whole"... which kills all the life on the separate worlds when they rejoin the original one. No one who is a "good guy" wants this to happen by the way... speiciflcy because it kills off an entire world's worth of life. The different splintered worlds all have their own histories too (and even different rates at which time "passes"), which are very dfferent from the "main" world. This is viewed as being totally fine.

Ironically, FFXIV has at least two times that time-travel has happened. Both with seemingly no negative consequences either. The first would be when Alexander was summoned. In FFXIV, he's a giant time-line simulator and is supposed to calculate all possible future timelines and then chose which one is the "best". And he can manipulate time (send things back, freeze time, etc.). He ultimately decides the "best future" is the one where nothing changes from how it was going to go and essentially locks himself up in a single instant of frozen time so he can't effect the time-line anymore (or absorb energy from the surrounding area in catastrophic amounts). The story itself is a stable time-loop.

The second time would be Shadowbringers Spoilers, so that's underneath.
The story after Stormblood goes so bad that the Ironworks (an organization that makes a lot of Dues Ex Machina with their knowledge of technology) decides that they really don't have anything to lose by making a time-traveling device to go back to when you were alive and try to make history end up not being so terrible. Your character is famous enough by this point that "use our own doomed timeline to make sure your character can make their own timeline end up better" sounds like a good idea to a lot of people.

To build the time-travel machine... they end up using a lot of technology they've copied from other beings you've fought. Stuff like a robot that can create it's own dimensions, a crystal tower that generates crazy amounts of energy from sunlight and has a door that can open to other dimentions and... the robot that can simulate time-lines and travel backwards in time. So yeah, they build their own version of Alexander and calculate when the person going back in time should "arrive" to head off the doomed timeline from ever happening. And then use a combination of Alexander's time-travel powers and the other robots dimension hopping powers to actually time-travel.

Your character ends up destroying the time-travel part. Probably so the story team could plug the plot-hole of why more time-travel shinangians couldn't happen later...

It should be noted that both of these stories involve beings that physically travel back in time instead of sending memories back in time to their younger selves. At some points, you legitimately have two versions of the same being existing in two different places at the same time! One older and one younger. They also feature a world that really don't "push against" the idea of time-travel. It kinda just happens and everything goes on like normal. Granted, in FFXIV, the Lifestream (or the being in it) is very much on your side and is all but actively working (as much as they are able to) to make sure you win.
I said "sort of a XIV situation," not precisely the same situation. :monster:

DOTF feels kinda like the game they would have made if they hadn't run out of time, which makes it hard to credit them with going somewhere new.
If you're talking about the canceled DLC, then yes, it's precisely that. If you mean the base game, then no, this pretty much runs counter to it at most every juncture.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Tactics even. :monster:

My first thought too! But then, it’s more like killing Jesus (who... was God? [citation needed] so maybe you’re right). Kefka‘s a contender too, although he starts mortal, and Necron I guess is godlike (being the avatar of corruption and mortal fear).

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Kefka was god though.

Just because god is a homicidal clown who loves looking in mirrors and playing with dolls, doesn't make him any less lethal or divine. :monster:

It's not like the Warring Triad were doing anything with their divine power. So he took it.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I feel like in FF games, the trope is more like "end the established religious order/current age by killing the being that is worshiped". Kefka was never worshiped as an actual god, so killing him doesn't feel like you're killing a being that was revered as a god by the world at large.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Kefka was never worshiped as an actual god

1596688933296.png

I know what you mean though. But, in the case of Sin, isn't it just a matter of length of reign? I kind of wish the time skip in World of Ruin was longer -- if we had skipped ahead 1000 years (I've done this in D&D, but in a video game having two complete casts would be... hard to pitch).

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Sin would be what I would consider the "end the current age by killing something". Sin might not be a "god" in the traditional sense, but defeating him for good effectively ended the current religious order (which was practically a de facto government) in Spira. And that religion had been around for a long time.

Usually, "killing a god" has a social upheaval element to it. The thing people's lives and morals revolved around is now gone and the people who come after are going to have to come up with a new way of living (or reason to live) to replace it. FFXIII and FFXV very much have that feel at the end of their games as well.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Hurray for cryptic abbreviations! Sorry Ite.

Godhood for me isn't necessarily about actual power, but there's a specific theme at play, as 'the reins of history back in the hands of man' as FFXII puts it.
Kefka, Sephiroth, Kuja, and Ultimecia all gain power for different reasons, but they don't command worship the same way.

Necron if I understood correctly was the incarnation of death, so when Kuja destroyed the crystal he said 'oh, you want to destroy the universe. Okay, sure' and then when the gang fought him off realised 'hey, these people don't want to destroy the universe. Okay, see you when it's really time' Not quite the same.
Yu Yevon was effectively the god of the world which they had to be freed from, the Occuria serve a similar role (they were not killed, but depowered) In 13, the Fal'Cie are basically the gods of the world that it must be freed from again.

XIII-2 was not, but it was all about killing Etro. Then in LR we're killing god again.

And in 15 we're dealing with Ardyn, but the greater scope villain is still Bahamut the god. You don't deal with that in game, but there's no real indication that his characterisation or goals are different than in the branch of the timeline where he doesn't end up dead.

FF7R, the Whispers end up being similar thematically, which probably would have bothered me more If I hadn't found them so funny. But I still don't want to go to the same place yet again in future instalments.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
What's funny is just like reality, your delineation and concept of "god" is ultimately subjective.

You say Kefka, Sephiroth, Ultimecia and Kuja "gain power for different reasons, but they don't command worship the same way" but that's just a personal categorization. And one can easily fit that to include them. Kefka's magical power and capability for total destruction made people gripped in total fear and despair worship him as a literal god, and he ran with it. Sephiroth obtained the ability to control the planet, and his will was so strong that he could exert complete mental control on those who were forcefully implanted with his "mother's" cells. Those Sephiroth Copies ultimately saw him as their god, and they worshiped him and even died for him. Ultimecia was capable of bending time, space and reality itself. Not only was she was able to create life from nothing, she compressed reality into a singularity with her magical power and came very close to becoming reality. Kuja was mortal but through his schemes and machinations, gained a power that rivaled the gods, punched a hole in reality and time, and nearly ended the entire universe. And he suckered the poor Black Mages into following his every word and obeying him. Not quite as godly but.. He certainly tried to touch divinity.

Final Fantasy has always, always toyed with challenging the divine and how it can be a manifestation of good and evil. Whether the villains are gods of old looking to control society for their ends, or they are people who sought power and obtained it at the expense of their humanity, there's always an "ascension" at work, where an antagonist obtains a power that raises them above humanity, or at least the status they were before. And even when they achieve that power, and dress themselves in the trappings of divinity and strength, they ultimately reflect the same human condition that they carried before their "godhood." Kefka retains his madness, Sephiroth retains his vengeful hatred, Ultimecia retains her fear of aging and loss, and Kuja his fear of mortality (among other examples of course). The "divinity" that is ultimately confronted in each Final Fantasy, is a representation of how the weakness of humans, with their need to work together and cooperate, can surpass an individual that obtains power to simply mask their own weakness and subjugate the weak. This simple, fundamental message is more than likely not going to be discarded especially when as we've seen, it can be told in so many different ways.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I’ve been having a bit of fun kicking around this theory in my head.

For starters, a quick overview of the similarities between the lifestream and Jenova:
  • Too much exposure to either can turn a being into a monster
  • Memories are an important aspect of both (the lifestream contains all memories, Jenova manipulates memories)
  • Both travel the universe for survival (the lifestream travels through Omega to maintain an interplanetary cycle of life, Jenova is an alien virus that arrived on a meteorite)
Considering these similarities, it has been my (and maybe other’s) headcanon since the Compilation days that Jenova is some type of twisted Minerva/Omega from another planet. Let's just roll with that for now.

This headcanon answers "what" Jenova is, but not the "how" (i.e. how did this other planet’s lifestream become twisted?) Enter the Whispers. Their job is to ensure destiny stays its course. But what happens if the Whispers fail? What happens if a planet is no longer able to prevent its course from diverging, intersecting, or overwriting itself? (e.g. whatever is going on in Remake’s Zack scenes) My theory is that the defeat of the Whispers will result in the lifestream fluxing uncontrollably. Without the Whispers at the reins, perhaps the lifestream spirals violently out of control, which is maybe the origin of Jenova?

What I'm trying to say is that Jenova could be the unfortunate lifestream of a previous planet that defied its fate. A "twisted Minerva” if you will that hijacked Omega’s ability to sail the cosmos.

So where could this go? I often think about Sephiroth's offer to Cloud at the end of Remake to join forces and defy fate. Just bear with me for a moment: let's say Sephiroth is aware of a higher power. Let's name this higher power Destiny (with a capital D). Destiny is a cosmic being that watches over all the lifestream in the universe. It equips every planet with Whispers, a type of Weapon that tries to prevent cases like Jenova. Sephiroth, heir to Jenova's legacy, doesn't like this. He seeks Cloud's help to defeat Destiny (promising that Aerith's fate can be altered or something).

Cloud and Sephiroth join forces at the climax of the remake project. Together they defeat Destiny. However, this is Sephiroth we're talking about, he fancies himself at the throne where Destiny once sat. The party is quick to react and kick his ass. With this victory the universe is utterly rid of Jenova's influence. The end.

I think this plot would be in-line thematically with what we've been given so far in Remake. Also, escalating the stakes to the point you're fighting a literal god is definitely a direction I can see this project going (see also: the FF13 trilogy).

So, I've been thinking about this theory a lot these days but also about that alternate timeline, and what if the devs do not follow the OG script this time.

I have been thinking about it because a lot of things in the game make you think that Aerith could not die this time around, especially towards the end. She may be needed or not for this theory, but let's say that her surviving doesn't block it at all. So 50/50. Another things that made me ponder is the fight against Sephiroth himself, because it looks so much like the OG's and it's so bizarre to think they would put the same fight twice in two different games?

What I've really been rewatching is Sephiroth and his little speech before they pass the gate. I got that uneasy feeling that not only did he want them to pass through the gate, but also that he wanted them to create that alternate reality. Like, I don't think they changed the past, I think they created a new branch altogether? And that new Sephiroth wanted it because in a world where Zack survives, to him, it's easier to achieve his goal. That's where @cold_spirit's theory kicks in and fills the blank, Sephiroth wants to become a god. And he could very well become one there to amass enough power before coming back to the world where the team is. Preferably at a point where he or Aerith opens up another gate to make the two worlds merge (he may or not use Zack as bait for Aerith to do this herself if she's still alive). And voilà, you have your Sephiroth:godmode to win against, possibly you could play Zack too which I think may appeal to the devs.

Then again, it's just me throwing a theory because I still have no clue lol. But that story of alternate timeline does make me think a bit because it's got to have an impact at some point on the first world - the one we game in. So I'm trying to see how everything could fit.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
What's funny is just like reality, your delineation and concept of "god" is ultimately subjective.

You say Kefka, Sephiroth, Ultimecia and Kuja "gain power for different reasons, but they don't command worship the same way" but that's just a personal categorization. And one can easily fit that to include them. Kefka's magical power and capability for total destruction made people gripped in total fear and despair worship him as a literal god, and he ran with it. Sephiroth obtained the ability to control the planet, and his will was so strong that he could exert complete mental control on those who were forcefully implanted with his "mother's" cells. Those Sephiroth Copies ultimately saw him as their god, and they worshiped him and even died for him. Ultimecia was capable of bending time, space and reality itself. Not only was she was able to create life from nothing, she compressed reality into a singularity with her magical power and came very close to becoming reality. Kuja was mortal but through his schemes and machinations, gained a power that rivaled the gods, punched a hole in reality and time, and nearly ended the entire universe. And he suckered the poor Black Mages into following his every word and obeying him. Not quite as godly but.. He certainly tried to touch divinity.

Final Fantasy has always, always toyed with challenging the divine and how it can be a manifestation of good and evil. Whether the villains are gods of old looking to control society for their ends, or they are people who sought power and obtained it at the expense of their humanity, there's always an "ascension" at work, where an antagonist obtains a power that raises them above humanity, or at least the status they were before. And even when they achieve that power, and dress themselves in the trappings of divinity and strength, they ultimately reflect the same human condition that they carried before their "godhood." Kefka retains his madness, Sephiroth retains his vengeful hatred, Ultimecia retains her fear of aging and loss, and Kuja his fear of mortality (among other examples of course). The "divinity" that is ultimately confronted in each Final Fantasy, is a representation of how the weakness of humans, with their need to work together and cooperate, can surpass an individual that obtains power to simply mask their own weakness and subjugate the weak. This simple, fundamental message is more than likely not going to be discarded especially when as we've seen, it can be told in so many different ways.

You're missing the idea. Basically every RPG final boss would be an example of "Killing God"/"God Is Evil" if all that mattered was transcendence or the power to endanger the world. =P

As a narrative trope, though, "Killing God" refers to taking down an entity who has hoodwinked, manipulated, or otherwise controlled the populace of their fictional setting. They need not be a creation myth entity nor even have a power level that we might describe as godhood. What matters is the widespread influential betrayal/manipulation.

So FATE from "Chrono Cross" is an example of this trope while the much more powerful Time Devourer (the final boss) is not. Yu Yevon, the Occuria, the fal'Cie, and FFXV's Bahamut are also solid examples -- granted we don't kill the Occuria, but we do effectively put an end to their manipulations.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi

1e0.png

@ the killing God talk: is it even a JRPG even you aren't killing god?? even Pokemon did it :monster:

I see what Mako is saying here tho. The FF series (for the most part) has embellished the "killing god" concept with in-game lore/character writing but... the fundemental concept isn't really all that dissimilar from any other JRPG. I'd say that the series is more often a dissection of the trope, rather than complete subversion from that norm. This is to varying degrees, depending on which entry you're talking about. Even in the original FF7, we are kinda meant to see Sephiroth as being ascended in his final boss form. It's part of why I never really found him all that a compelling character tbh. Even as a kid, it always seemed to me like such a grandiose motivation in story that was otherwise fairly reflective of real life conflict. Though I always appreciated the angle that Meteor hit Midgar because Sephiroth was as much a victim of Shinra as anyone else ("in the end he was still human after all!")

I've been on a bit of a Lovecraft kick lately, and there's no doubt that FF7 toys with aesthetic components of Lovecraftian-godliness. Basically what I'm saying is... If thelifestream.net had a final boss, it would be Yop :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
You'd probably name less FF games if you tried to find the ones that "didn't" involve the "Killing God" trope. Ironically, FFVII is probably one of them. As is FFVIII and FFIX.

The Occuria (of FFXII) are an interesting take on the trope as... they were really "killed" (in terms of their influence) all the way back when the Dynast King decided not to obey them. Which was less a "killing God" moment and more an "ignoring Gods" moment. The crux of Ashe's decision is more along the lines of if she is going to resurrect the gods or let them stay dead.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The Occuria (of FFXII) are an interesting take on the trope as... they were really "killed" (in terms of their influence) all the way back when the Dynast King decided not to obey them. Which was less a "killing God" moment and more an "ignoring Gods" moment. The crux of Ashe's decision is more along the lines of if she is going to resurrect the gods or let them stay dead.
Did I misunderstand FFXII's story? My understanding is that Raithwall did precisely as the gods wanted while Ashe ultimately chose not to repeat history despite the temptation of that easier path.

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
So I was thinking some more.

- What if the new Stamp is not indicative of a new timeline, but rather of broken memories and screwed up understanding of reality? For example, with the Whispers gone, the player can see certain details for what they really were, not what Cloud experienced them as. This would be a callback to the original game, where Cloud recalls his past through memories that are colored by Jenova/Sephiroth. I admit I do not know how this would work, but I would prefer this a lot more than time-travel or alternate timelines.

- Theory - Perhaps the Whispers were, in part, influencing the game more than we realize? Maybe they influenced the way Cloud (and maybe even the party?) saw events occur. And now that they have been defeated, Sephiroth can show Cloud the way things really are. This is also a call-back to the original, where Sephiroth desired to show Cloud the truth about his past as a way to break his pysche in order to make him his puppet to do his bidding, and eventually provide him the Black materia.

The above theory may also explain why Biggs is alive, and why it seems that the sector 7 plate is still intact and not fallen in the ending scene after the Whispers are defeated. (Who knows if perhaps we're just looking at the Upper plates incorrectly, or perhaps it's just a bug or a mistake). So basically, the Whsipers

Remember that the Whispers appear to have been infected by Sephiroth. Throughout the game, certain Whispers are purple in color (the color of JENOVA) instead of black-gray. You see this purple color at the start of the game during the intro with Aerith sitting at the Mako pipe. Therefore, whatever the Whispers were trying to do, they were compromised in part by Sephiroth.

Anyhow, I dont even believe the above myself but thought I'd throw this out there.

So you know how something happens to people when Aerith touches them? It doesn't happen every time she touches them, but only, it seems, when she wills it to happen. It happened with Marlene and also with Red XIII; those are the instances I can remember. Whatever happens, it calms them down.

So my question is this: is there any WoG or fandom consensus on what happens when she does this? Is she using Cetra powers to calm them? Is she sharing a piece of arcane knowledge with them? Is she showing them a glimpse of the future, something that reassures and encourages them?

Any ideas?

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
So you know how something happens to people when Aerith touches them? It doesn't happen every time she touches them, but only, it seems, when she wills it to happen. It happened with Marlene and also with Red XIII; those are the instances I can remember. Whatever happens, it calms them down.

So my question is this: is there any WoG or fandom consensus on what happens when she does this? Is she using Cetra powers to calm them? Is she sharing a piece of arcane knowledge with them? Is she showing them a glimpse of the future, something that reassures and encourages them?

Any ideas?
either an innate Cetra skill, or an acquired one through contact with the lifestream (after she died and fused with the planet becoming a goddess of time and space :wacky:)

I'm not asking where Aerith's skill comes from, more what happens to the people she touches. Is it something they feel, or see, or some knowledge they receive from her? Some emotional connection?

Top Bottom