SPOILERS FFVII Remake Open Spoiler Discussion Thread

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
I haven't played through the entire game yet, but I am left with a feeling that it's not seemingly as romantic as past final fantasies, which surprises me quite a bit since it's a remake as well.
There are some moments that I really loved like particularly at Jesse's house, but it was unstated and just in general it's this overall sense and feeling that are not quite as invoked in this remake, I wonder why that is? They made it a lot more grounded and realistic but I enjoyed how the last games had kind of a soft quality.
like even FF15 with the start of the game pushing the car and things like that.

The music and start of the remake were very beautiful, I was really impressed, but even then there was kind of this sharp expansive and piercing quality.

But then, that's what's different about it, because some moments felt more tense and uncertain other moments seemed to linger more in the moment and scenery but still it is like the overall sensibilities or tone has shifted and it's changed from being kind of soft and dreamy to something else that's similar but harder to describe. I want to say it's more "mature" in some ways, but it's hard to say. It's less romantic in some ways and way more richer feeling (but not indulgent) type of experience.

I guess that's the thing about it, it's just not dreamy at all. I kind of like it in some ways, but it's kind of startling. Like going from the streets of midgar after the reactor explosion, then the bar and then the slums with Aerith, they all just felt like very deeply felt and rich experiences.

But I guess it's just a difficult time for dreamers. I guess some of the games always felt more idyllic and laid back, this one has way different quality.

A sad time for dreamers and romantics you could say in correction.
85415b2683b4a1e33dde2c285af0e384.png
its romantic. And it’s magic. I have no idea what you or i am saying but those are my feelings that I just vomited out.

waw

Pro Adventurer
Oi! Oi!

FF1/FF2/FF3/FF4/FF5/FF6/FF9 are not romance-centered either! :@
Is this a troll?

Cecil and Rosa are central to FF4 with the romance being important to how Cecil grows as a character, and the relationship with Kain. Their marriage is important for the sequel too...

FF9 has a romance at the very heart of it. Garnet and Zidane... I mean... the whole thing is their love story. It's undoubtedly romantic.

FF2 and FF5 have some subtext but they aren't really romantic. FF1 has next to no characterization of the heroes, and that isn't romantic either.

FF6... This one is hard for me. I feel like romance surrounds the story in a lot of ways, but it's probably not "centered" on it either.

But I'll fight you to the death over FF4 and FF9 being romances. I think when we see FF8, and FF10 the romance elements are pretty undeniable!

Sephiroth Crescent

Way Ahead of the Plot
I said romance-centered.

FF9 has a romance at the very heart of it. Garnet and Zidane... I mean... the whole thing is their love story. It's undoubtedly romantic.
Nope. FF9 ain't a Disney story. But it is a love-letter to the series. :lol:

Reducing FF4 and FF9 to romance is... like saying FF8 or FF10 don't have much romance. :mon:

PS: FF9, the best FF kid in town. :desu:

waw

Pro Adventurer
Why are you positioning this as an either/or scenario? FF9 can be a love letter to the series but also feature a romance central to the character progression. The love story between Zidane and Garnet grounds the characters, motivates them, and keeps the narrative cohesive. It opens with the kidnapping and ends with their reunion. It's their love story.

But my comments aren't reductive in *any* way. FF7 has punk elements. Oh no, I reduced it! :P I did not say they are "only" romances with nothing else in them. But the main characters motivations and journeys are deeply tied to romance, nonetheless.

The main characters, of which the stories revolve, are deeply involved in romances that propel their character (arcs, growth, and literal movements) forward in each 4, 8, 9, and 10.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
...I just realized why President Shinra mentioned SOLDIER degradation to Cloud in Chapter 7.

Cloud says he's an EX-SOLDIER. A defector, or deserter.

When was the last time there was a large number of SOLDIERs who defected and left Shinra?

That dumb fool thought Cloud was an ally of Genesis and a G-Type SOLDIER. :lol:

Top Bottom