SPOILERS FFVII Remake Open Spoiler Discussion Thread

Something I didn't realize before today...

Unless you are playing the PC versions and the original JP release, the original game ends the way it began: With a star field. (I have not checked how the more modern ports of FFVII handle the post-credits star field).

Due to FFVIIR beginning with a bird's-eye view overlooking the wastelands around Midgar, it's like a reflection of the 500 Years Later scene which begins roughly the same. Remake sets up its beginning to match the way that the series will presumably end: With yet another variation of the Nanaki scene five centuries later.

I'm sure plenty of people already had this as one of their first thoughts while viewing the FFVIIR intro.

Myself I was too busy noticing how the original SPACE INTRO is no longer present and how the star field is so underplayed that it might as well not be a field of stars anymore. That and my mind also probably didn't connect the dots because the DEFINITELY-NOT-SEPHIROTH-BIRD (:awesome:) is flying in from east of Midgar (with the northern coast and waters outside of view), whilst the 500-years-later scene shows Nanaki standing west of Midgar.

I reckon the epilogue to FFVIIR will take the liberty of adding more greenery to the wasteland regions, not just Midgar itself, so to increase the contrast with the barren lands that we saw in the intro of FFVIIR Part 1.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
The bird is the one we see at the end of CC, isn't it? They moved Zack's death and Cloud's arrival, I'm quite sure, closer to the Remake timeline, so I wonder if it's that bird from when Zack dies. It's also used in ACC so it might just be a visual thing Nomura is into - but it *could* have significance, what's with Cloud coming to Midgar only the day before the first mission. I've been thinking it might have to do with the Singularity they wanted Aerith/Sephiroth/the Planet to create. If Zack's death is too far away, it makes the Singularity too powerful, if it's only a few days before though... it might be easier to accept.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I've began replaying the OG - in English because well, if you think the EN translation is bad, just know that in French there is a main character named CLAD, that's all you need to know about this translation - and because it was years since I last played, I had forgotten a TON of things. But when Nomura says "those characters have always been like this to us", man, I get it. I totally understand how they took things and expanded on them - for example, Tifa's struggles were shown once in Midgar, after the plate fall, and I'm like "oh they really expanded on that uh?". "These guys is sick" for example has also been expanded on a lot when it really was 30 seconds in the OG.

I really wonder if we're going to get the Kalm flashback as it's an important event in the OG. Looking at it, with knowledge of both the OG and the Remake, it will be very much clearer that Cloud is full of shit but at the same time knows things he shouldn't. In the OG, it was weird because he and Tifa barely interacted (and well... that's because it was Zack lol), because of Tifa's reactions too. So when in Remake we see Cloud and Tifa interact the way they did, it's very clear that... it can't be. So I wonder how they're going to tackle this, because it was part of the illusion in the OG.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
They definitely will. And the interactions they had in the flashback won't be that strange, given the fact Cloud won't be saying anything to her in the flashback lol

Sephiroth Crescent

Way Ahead of the Plot
I've been looking at threads here but don't think anyone said anything about this (and it's baffling to me even to this day).
Graffiti_in_the_Collapsed_Expressway_from_FFVII_Remake.png
Immediately reminded me of Temple of the Ancients/Black Materia when I met it, I think, in chapter 14.
But those are pyramid-shaped rockets? WTF? And what about that giant cyclop shadow monster?
It is a very unique graffiti (i.e. it's only ever found once), so does it even have any hidden meaning at all?

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I've been looking at threads here but don't think anyone said anything about this (and it's baffling to me even to this day).
graffiti_in_the_collapsed_expressway_from_ffvii_remake-png.9265

I like to think it's a reference to the pyramid enemies in FFVII's debug room. These guys give a ton exp, gil, and ap and are fought in a creepy dark void.

500px-Ff7_debug_pyramids_final.png

Last edited:

LegendarySaiyan

AKA: SalihGuclu
Immediately reminded me of Temple of the Ancients/Black Materia when I met it, I think, in chapter 14.
But those are pyramid-shaped rockets? WTF? And what about that giant cyclop shadow monster?
It is a very unique graffiti (i.e. it's only ever found once), so does it even have any hidden meaning at all?
Actually I remember seeing it as well. I thought of Temple of the Ancients too. I wonder if there is any meaning behind it. Is it a clue or a hint?

Eerie

Fire and Blood
See, this is what I mean when I say "Aerith was forced to let go of Zack at the end of Remake". This Zack may have survived, but he's not here for her, their ways go in opposite ways.

A clerith friend of mine said that falling in love with Cloud is part of her narrative arc - letting go of Zack's memory, being able to move on - and only then can she be reunited with Zack by dying. It doesn't mean that she doesn't love Zack anymore, it means that she's able to move on. It's very important in her narrative arc, and it has been underlined in Remake that she did want to move on but was unable to. And this scene at the very end shows her being forced to let go of Zack, to understand that whatever she did, it has no bearing on how she and Zack are separated now. Cloud is the link between them, so I'm very curious to see how this will play out in the next game(s).

Fiz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Eh?
See, this is what I mean when I say "Aerith was forced to let go of Zack at the end of Remake". This Zack may have survived, but he's not here for her, their ways go in opposite ways.

A clerith friend of mine said that falling in love with Cloud is part of her narrative arc - letting go of Zack's memory, being able to move on - and only then can she be reunited with Zack by dying. It doesn't mean that she doesn't love Zack anymore, it means that she's able to move on. It's very important in her narrative arc, and it has been underlined in Remake that she did want to move on but was unable to. And this scene at the very end shows her being forced to let go of Zack, to understand that whatever she did, it has no bearing on how she and Zack are separated now. Cloud is the link between them, so I'm very curious to see how this will play out in the next game(s).

I think there is a lot of scope for character exploration with this.

Zack being around would be very confusing, and upskittling for Aerith. There is this guy who she loves, presumed dead or ghosted her, and has been mourning for some time, just as she’s starting to move on, she’s reunited with him.

On the flip side you have Zack who on being reunited with her, might find that she doesn’t feel the same way anymore.

Another possibility is more Greek tragedy, where after mourning him and finding out he is alive, is rekindled only to lose him again.

You also have the possibility they get a happy ever after.

There are lots of ways that can be explored, and bring in new ways to explore their characters.

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
There is definitely a lot of dramatic potential in Zack being around the gang, so I can understand why some want to see him in the same timeline. It opens up a lot of ground for all sorts of different scenarios between the characters. The biggest problem is how to go down this route while still preserving Cloud's character material from the OG...although that is only a problem if you're completely tied to the remake being true to the OG.

Top Bottom