SPOILERS FFVII Remake Open Spoiler Discussion Thread

DutchDread

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dutch Dread
True! why these visions in particular seem to be the tricky part here. From what I can recall his "future" visions were the plate dropping and when he sheds a tear when he meets Aerith again after leaving her house at night ( idk if we can count the ones he had after they went through that portal because everyone was experiencing future visions there). So, both of these were 'bad' future events that he couldn't prevent in OG, and well... the plate dropped so there's only Aerith vision to be fulfilled...?!

Yeah, the only reason I can think of is the general one, Sephiroth obviously wants them to defy fate, and showing bad things in the future would promote that, one horrible one that is gonna happen soon, as evidence that it is indeed the future, and that the ghosts are assholes who won't care and will try to make it happen either way, and then one that's further off, to motivate him to take on the arbiter.

Otherwise, I'd almost think the visions came from someone or somewhere else, but I have no idea how or why.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I dont think Sephiroth is "sending" him these visions, but it might be because of Seph that they happen. Jenova Cells and all that.

Cloud looks at the Sector 7 plate and he has a vision. Aerith talks to him about the White Materia and he has a vision. It seems that, besides being arbitrary by the screenwriter, Cloud needs to actually have that element in focus for that vision to happen.

I actually think the visions are pretty cool, and tbh I don't seem actually focusing that much around it. They feel like a cool nod to us oldcomers and to eventually the new players that will replay the first game after ending the series, and will be like "ohhh that's why".

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Over 50% of FF7R players have completed the game, according to the trophy list:

trophy-1.JPG

That's incredible. I can't find another AAA game on my trophy list with as high of a completion percentage. I think this is a testament to Remake's ability to engage players. The previous record on my trophy list was held by Kingdom Hearts III at 44.1%. For additional comparison, here's the completion percentage of other games I own:

Doom (2016): 25.1%
Sekiro Shadows Die Twice: 25.8%
Killzone Shadowfall: 18%
Final Fantasy XV: 38.5%
Hyper Light Drifter: 19%
Gravity Rush 2: 17.9%
Persona 5: 33.6%
Nier Automata: 25.7%
Final Fantasy VII: 24%

Unfortunately, we can't use trophies to view the completion percentage of every game. Some don't give a trophy for completing them at all. Some give a trophy for completing the game on a certain difficulty, which is problematic. For example, Devil May Cry 5 gives individual trophies for completing the game on Easy and Normal, both of which are available from the start. As such, we can not simply deduce the completion percentage, but we do know it's higher than the larger percentage.

Finally, let's look at the percentage of players who completed Chapter 1 of Yakuza Kiwami, a remake of the original Yakuza:

trophy-2.JPG

That's right, over half of the Yakuza Kiwami playerbase couldn't be bothered to complete the first chapter. A sharp contrast to FF7R in which half the playerbase reached the credits. Ouch. Makes you think, what if FF7R was closer to a one-to-one remake of the original like Yakuza Kiwami? Would players boot it up for the nostalgia, then never touch it again?

Last edited:

DutchDread

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dutch Dread

View attachment 6598

That's incredible. I can't find another AAA game on my trophy list with as high of a completion percentage. I think this is a testament to Remake's ability to engage players. The previous record on my trophy list was held by Kingdom Hearts III at 44.1%. For additional comparison, here's the completion percentage of other games I own:

Unfortunately, we can't use trophies to view the completion percentage of every game. Some don't give a trophy for completing them at all. Some give a trophy for completing the game on a certain difficulty, which is problematic. For example, Devil May Cry 5 gives individual trophies for completing the game on Easy and Normal, both of which are available from the start. As such, we can not simply deduce the completion percentage, but we do know it's higher than the larger percentage.

Finally, let's look at the percentage of players who completed Chapter 1 of Yakuza Kiwami, a remake of the original Yakuza:

View attachment 6600

That's right, over half of the Yakuza Kiwami playerbase couldn't be bothered to complete the first chapter. A sharp contrast to FF7R in which half the playerbase reached the credits. Ouch. Makes you think, what if FF7R was closer to a one-to-one remake of the original like Yakuza Kiwami? Would players boot it up for the nostalgia, then never touch it again?

Honestly, I am most impressed by that nier: automata 25% statistic, or is that a single playthrough?

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Agreed. I had noticed the very large proportion of player who had completed the game fairly early on. About a month ago, the ratio was around ~45%. It was also funny to check the "average progress by chapter" based on these ratios, because differences in percentages on the completion of a given chapter could be correlated to 2 things:
- the chapter duration (say, you'd have 58.2 % of players completing chapter 13, 54.5 % of the players completing chapter 14, 54.0% of the players completing chapter 15, simply because chapter 15 is much shorter than chapter 14).
- how much the players were susceptible to "drop" their playthrough in a given chapter.

With respect to the second item, interestingly, it looked as though people "dropping" was mostly happening in the first 3 chapters. In particular, you could notice a "player hook" on chapter 9: if players were finishing this chapter, you'd be certain they'd go all the way to finish the game (gaps in percentages for completion only correlated to chapter duration after this one, and the gaps were small).

Now, there's another thing that I could not really figure: the percentages were also evolving because new sales should bring new players, which should theoretically get those percentages down. Seeing the percentages always going up meant that more people were finishing the game than new players were buying it. So, I was also concerned that May sales were not that great.

Still, overall, as you said, this 50% completion figure is amazing.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
Do we have a confirmation that Remake is placed at the same point as OG in the compilation timeline, right? I remember seeing it somewhere...but now I'm not so sure If I really did...

It has been discussed here before I'm sure, but have you ever wondered if there is a possibility that the other meaning behind "Remake" the devs have mentioned is that it'll somehow work as a Remake of OG itself, but also as a sequel for AC/C and DoC? I mean, what if by having characters with prior knowledge of future events/and or coming from the future themselves, the devs are actually trying to create a more complete work incorporating both future installments post-OG in a way that prevents said events of happening, leaving sort of a blank page for the future of these Remake!Characters?

Tbh, I'll prob find ways to refute this myself when my brain isn't so tired lol, but having Remake making direct allusions to events in AC/C got me thinking...so I just put it out here, but I forget o/

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
At the moment I don't think we know enough to make a definitive conclusion about that. It all depends on the nature of ???Sephiroth and how the series ends. Right now it's a successor to the compilation in that it has incorporated elements from every comp entry, thus bringing the compilation back into the fold of the original. If it's literally supposed to be a sequel or not is yet to be seen.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
At the moment I don't think we know enough to make a definitive conclusion about that. It all depends on the nature of ???Sephiroth and how the series ends. Right now it's a successor to the compilation in that it has incorporated elements from every comp entry, thus bringing the compilation back into the fold of the original. If it's literally supposed to be a sequel or not is yet to be seen.

Yeah, I agree! I could also bring the fact that the AC/C things that were referenced for now could be simply there to hint at the future events that we know will come to happen ( like Cloud clutching his arm at the same place he got geostigma and so on), however, if that Sephiroth turns out to have prior knowledge of AC/C events, I guess that could be it... but yeah, we don't have enough knowledge as of now.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
Don't want to be the one bringing the mood down but...any chance that they are working together on another project or something? If they are at the motion capturing part it means that at least the main script is finished, right? Don't give me hope to have it sooner than later SE ;-;

Saven

Pro Adventurer

View attachment 6598

View attachment 6600

I can't remember any other game that has such a high number, I wasn't even expecting that to be as high as it is.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Looking at this Remake, there's one thing that sits even less well with me and the (still canon) AC/C: Barret. I don't want him to part with Marlene like that, dammit :rage::rage::rage::'( It's the thing I look back to, and think "man, I really want Barret to enjoy his time with his little daughter, it's so unfair ;___;"

Top Bottom