• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVIIR at TGS 2019 (NEW TRAILER!)

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
Ooh! We saw Barret's render!
Classic, Easy, and Normal? Are those game difficulty modes?

You can set the bomb to 20 or 30 minutes? Neat!

And like we had suspected, the timer goes off after you defeat Scorpion Sentinel.

They are talking about the gym mini-games now. Oh goodness, the buttons on the screen that tell you what to do go away after a bit.

Now they switched to gameplay against the boss in the sewers (I forgot its name - Aps?). We now get to see some nice Aerith and Tifa gameplay. They summoned Ifrit. Aps can jump into the sewer water and jump out -- creating a "surprise" attack. It also looks like Aps can climb onto the pipes on the wall.

I guess that's it? We didn't see all that much. What was Neal hinting at?

Yep. That's it. Here is a video of the stream on Twitch. It starts at 2:20:00.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/481123424

Last edited:

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Screenshots from the stream (I'm recording it via VLC, though missed a bit at the beginning...)

lSH4BrR.jpg

gNEjs9U.jpg

yV6gd9d.jpg

Last edited:

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Every time they show more of this game they impress me even more.

Classic Mode basically sets both characters to be controlled by their AI routines and lets you focus on just inputting commands via the ATB when the gauge fills up, replicating the battle flow of the original game.

They showcased a bunch of abilities for Cloud, Aerith, and Tifa during the Aps boss fight.

Summons have their own summon gauge that fills up. When you perform a summon, the creature fights in battle alongside the party while the gauge empties, and you can issue it basic commands via the ATB system. You can trigger their final attack and end the summon when you're ready to do so.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Hard Edge has three visible materia in the hilt. Cloud's got two green and one purple in it, looks like.
Yep!

FPrttCe.jpg

CWE2bli.png

(Does the water look a bit eh... PS3-y to anyone else?)

Also I don't know why but the audio cut out on the recorded stream about 30 sec into it.... I had no idea, I still heard everything. But I'm sure the video will be up sooner than later.

Last edited:

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer

I think I am still a little confused, how exactly is Classic mode differing from standard mechanics in Easy/Normal mode?
In Easy/Normal mode you actively control your Battle Leader's movement and the AI controls your other party members. You move, dodge, and attack, filling up your ATB gauge. When the ATB gauge is full, you select commands using the Command Menu or Shortcuts Menu. Your main source of damage is from your Ability, Spell, and Limit commands.

In Classic Mode, all characters are controlled by the AI and you just wait for the ATB gauge to fill and select commands from the Command Menu. Just like the original game's turn-based system.

Only difference from the original game's combat is that instead of them just standing still while you wait, they automatically do the basic attack/guard/dodge actions that fill the ATB gauge. And the main source of physical damage changes from the Attack Command to the Ability Commands.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
So, they've explained how Summons work.

You equip Summon Materia to a character, and they get a Summon Gauge that fills up as they fight. When it's full they can perform the Summon. The Summon fights on its own, but you can use that character's ATB gauge to perform Summon Skills, directing the active Summon to use specific abilities.

Each character gets one summon materia slot, and it sounds like the best option depends not just on the enemy you're fighting but the battlefield. I noticed that Ifrit's attacks caused a Heat gauge to fill up under Aps's health bar, similar to the Stagger gauge.

Ironically, Classic mode functions like Wait mode in the OG instead of Active Mode.

So you still get that weird slow-down effect when you use the ATB commands even though you're not controlling the characters...
Tactical Mode (where you're browsing menus) with the slowdown is essentially Wait Mode. Active Mode is when you're using the Shortcuts.

You can probably still use Shortcuts in Classic Mode. Or maybe they'll just have more options to control that.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Tactical Mode (where you're browsing menus) with the slowdown is essentially Wait Mode. Active Mode is when you're using the Shortcuts.

You can probably still use Shortcuts in Classic Mode. Or maybe they'll just have more options to control that.
As someone who is very used to Active Mode in all the other ATB FF games. I find this very weird... I've been racing the ATB to navigate menus for years and this game not having a way to do that feels... odd...

Like... I'd think the time the AI is controlling the character would be the perfect time to be scrolling through the ATB menu. Otherwise... why give the player the option of not controlling the character if they can't do anything with that time?

Shortcuts in games with menus like the FF games have is something I actively avoid because then I start forgetting all the other things I can do... I find it unnecessarily cuts down on options.

I have to say... I can't get used to how the "slow time" thing looks. It just utterly wrecks any fluidity and pacing of the battle for me in a way the classic ATB battles never did (normal looking idle moment vs slow battle movement I think) and I really hope they give us some way to turn it off independently of battle mode/difficulty. It just feels so tedious to watch. So that's probably impacting how I feel about this a lot.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Guess there won’t be a Master Summon Materia in Remake.
So if each character can equip one summon Materia, does that mean a player could summon three summons in one fight at once? Or is there only summon gage allowed to be used at one time for the whole party?
Well, there are still other games. I would expect future entries to introduce new mechanics. That could include materia that come with multiple abilities on them. A Master Summon Materia could just let you select from a list of summons instead of a single equipped summon.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Well, there are still other games. I would expect future entries to introduce new mechanics. That could include materia that come with multiple abilities on them. A Master Summon Materia could just let you select from a list of summons instead of a single equipped summon.

My hypothesis so far: there's one Summon Gauge that will fill no matter how many summon materia you have equipped and on whom (otherwise the gauge would read the summon's name). When you summon a creature, that creature's Reverse-ATB bar replaces the Summon Gauge, allowing only one summon on the board -- this gauge has the actual summon's name on it. If the big move (Hellfire etc.) of the summon doesn't end the fight, the Summon Gauge will re-appear and start filling from 0 again.

Three questions I still have:
1. Will a half-full summon gauge carry over to the next fight, a la limit gauge?
2. What happens to a summon if you win a fight with it still on the field? Can you use it to plough through several small and nearby encounters, or will it disappear every time you get XP/items?

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
I wouldn't be surprised if mastering a particular Summon Materia allows you to switch and actively take control of that Summon. The mechanics are all there, so it just makes sense.

Top Bottom