FFVIIR at TGS 2019 (NEW TRAILER!)

hleV

Pro Adventurer
To maintain consistency, they should all look identical: clothes gone, 3rd party equipment aka weapons visible. Perhaps some distinction between male, female and different race/species.

I noticed in the very first trailer that Jessie and Biggs were highly polished and sexy, while poor Wedge seemed sort of... incompletedly rendered? The chubby cheeks doesn't even get to die in a sexy way.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Speaking of Wedge, I think I know why he's in the parachute with Cloud in the trailer instead of Jessie. Biggs is a pretty lean guy, and he doesn't seem to have the physical strength to support Wedge's weight in the air - just look how small he looks next to Wedge when they're getting on the motorcycles. But Cloud does have the necessary strength, hence the switch from how they had been paired on the bikes. Otherwise I'm sure Jess would have been in the parachute with Cloud, which was what she had probably wanted but couldn't do thanks to Wedge.

Another thing I noticed was that at the start of the trailer, some of the first few lines might not happen when we think they do. These are the lines I'm talking about:

Tifa: Barret! Jessie!
Barret: The hell you been!?

We don't actually see them saying these lines, we just see the battle in the slums when the spirits attack. And lines tend to be moved around in trailers sometimes to different parts than when they actually appear in the game or movie, so it's possible that those lines are actually said when Cloud and Tifa get to the top of the Sector 7 pillar to stop the plate collapse. And if that's true, then from Tifa's words, that would mean that Jessie is there with Barret when you get there, unlike in the OG where it's just Barret after you've already found Jess wounded near the top.

Those lines, along with what I mentioned before about the footage we saw of the pillar fight and how we saw Biggs, Wedge, and a couple other AVALANCHE guys staying behind and fighting while Barret and Jessie kept climbing, would seem to show that this time, Jessie makes it to the top unharmed alongside Barret. So this likely means she'll have an on-screen death at some point after we get to the top. As she's the tech expert of the group, she's probably the only one who would have been able to successfully disarm the bomb, and that's probably why Shinra would target her first out of the four of them, especially if she's in the middle of actually working on it.

I could see them having Reno do it, since you get into a boss fight with him right afterward, which echoes how you fight Jenova LIFE right after Sephiroth kills Aerith later on in the overall FFVII story. Not sure whether it would be before or after he jumps down, but it seems like they're making the Turks out to be a lot more dangerous this time, so I'm sure he could do it. Cloud tells Aerith that murder is one of the things they do, so it's definitely possible. And in the trailer, you only see Cloud fighting Reno at the top of the pillar - where are Barret and Tifa? The trailer didn't show us much up there, just a few shots of Cloud and Reno going at it before cutting to the next segment.

Anyway, it's gonna be tough when the AVALANCHE trio does go, but I suspect that SE is going to make Jessie's end especially painful given how much footage she's gotten already, especially compared to Biggs and Wedge, and how much they've expanded her character. So much so that, from what I understand, she's the first of the cast that you actually see in the game when she hijacks that Shinra propaganda video. I could be wrong about that, though. I've only read a little about that part.

rimavelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
rima
@Jairus I felt the same about the switched lines at the end of a trailer where we see Seph for the first time (Uh I don't remember wich trailer it was anymore, but you know, Cloud sweating in flames, Seph's back?), you can't see his face so he can say whatever.

Jairus

Yeah, that makes sense. It was the E3 trailer, btw. And I'm wondering if the reason Tifa's with you during the Wall Market prep is possibly because maybe now they put Jessie in there instead of her and switched the number of girls Corneo picks from from 3 to 4 thus still necessitating Cloud's infamous disguise. Unlikely, I admit, but it could work. Getting her to the pillar ahead of the others could possibly be achieved by having Cloud send her on ahead while he and the other two girls tangle with Aps or with her dodging the trapdoor and escaping back to Sector 7 another way separate from the others. And if that part where Tifa and Aerith are clinging on Cloud is, as I suspect, transposed to preserve the surprise of the actual moment in-game, then it could be when they're in front of the Don's mansion and about to go inside to find her after they're all dressed up. Dunno about this whole idea though, it's only a guess. But it'd be nice if it turned out to be something like that.

rimavelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
rima
I don't think Tifa is then in Wall Market with Cloud. You see Tifa doing the push ups at the gym but it's during the day - When Cloud is doing the squats you can see it's still night, so they didn't change it. The other scene - With Tifa and Aerith clinging to Cloud's arms - seems to be part of the Train Graveyard scenes. You can see the train wagon behind them.

Jairus

I don't think Tifa is then in Wall Market with Cloud. You see Tifa doing the push ups at the gym but it's during the day - When Cloud is doing the squats you can see it's still night, so they didn't change it. The other scene - With Tifa and Aerith clinging to Cloud's arms - seems to be part of the Train Graveyard scenes. You can see the train wagon behind them.

I didn't notice about the day and night, but as for the clinging scene, they may have just transposed that background to preserve the surprise of the actual scene, so what we see in-game is different than what was in the trailer.

Reactions: Ite

Jairus

Maybe because they know lots of people are looking forward to that part so they wanted to tease it, idk. Why would they be so lighthearted after finding out the plan to drop the pillar, if it is the in Train Graveyard?

Reactions: Ite
Substituting Jessie for Tifa would be a shame, though, as that episode was significant for Tifa's character development. Believing Cloud dead, she threw herself into the struggle against Shinra with renewed vigour and, being somewhat reckless of her own safety, was willing to go alone on an incredibly dangerous mission. It was an instance of Tifa "pushing herself to the limit" as she later described it.

Jairus

Substituting Jessie for Tifa would be a shame, though, as that episode was significant for Tifa's character development. Believing Cloud dead, she threw herself into the struggle against Shinra with renewed vigour and, being somewhat reckless of her own safety, was willing to go alone on an incredibly dangerous mission. It was an instance of Tifa "pushing herself to the limit" as she later described it.

I suppose that makes sense, it was something I hadn't thought of. Though the OG never says that she believes he's dead. I don't know where you got that. I guess Tifa's minigame just gets you other items, then, since you'd already have the wig by then if it's when you're on your second trip to Wall Market. Though if the substitution were made, then they could have Tifa go off alone to Sector 5 after the fall to find Cloud, catching up to him and Aerith before Wall Market and perhaps after encountering the Turks that they left behind, making her solo journey still a dangerous and possibly playable one. Just supposition and theorizing, of course, but it's a scenario that could make it work.

Last edited:

Jairus

Well, SE does seem to have made her a combination of the two, from what I've read elsewhere, hehe, so why not? Just kidding, of course.

If she though Cloud was alive surely she'd go looking for him. I just can't imagine Tifa thinking, "Oh no, my childhood friend has been blown up by a Shinra machine and fallen fifty stories. No human being could survive that. ... But he's probably okay, so I'll just get on with my Avalanche stuff. I'm sure he's not lying down there with every bone in his body broken, slowly bleeding to death. Nah, he'll be fine. He's bound to show up at 7th Heaven eventually." I can't accept that she would have taken the Don Corneo mission if there was any hope in her heart that Cloud was still alive. She would have gone to find him.

Jairus

She also knows, or believes, that he was in SOLDIER, and that they're stronger and tougher than normal people. Also, he outright tells Barret not to talk like it's the end, which means he believes he'll survive. And Tifa hears all that. Also, in real life, people have actually survived falls from even higher heights than that, such as World War II pilot Alan Magee who fell 20,000 feet from his plane without a parachute and survived (and he crashed through a roof, too). So maybe in the remake they'll fix this oversight you just pointed out and have her go looking for him instead, maybe even make it a playable thing like I said before, since we know we do have some segments of the game where we play as her, and this could be one of them.

Cloud matters more to her than any other person alive. If the person I cared most for in the world plunged fifty stories after being blown up by an attack robot, I would be off after them as fast as my legs could carry me, and I think most people would do the same. The only reason I might not do that is if I were convinced they were dead. I certainly wouldn't volunteer for a potential suicide mission while my loved one was still missing. She cannot possibly be sure he will be okay. Tifa's seen SOLDIERs fail and go crazy, and Cloud has only recently been pretty sick.

Jairus

Which is why I said the remake could address this by having her go after him instead of going straight to the Don's place. That would also answer part of RN's question, as it would resolve that issue with Tifa not going after him in the OG. And another part goes with SE's desire to expand our time with the original AVALANCHE trio and develop each of them further. Switching things around a little to give Jess some extra time and development here - giving her a chance to be part of something she wasn't in the OG and to show a side of her other than the techy geek we usually see - and giving Tifa both extra solo playable time and character development through her search for Cloud addresses that.

Top Bottom