FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Demo Out Now!

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
That moment was very much a reference toward his mental state being heavily anchored to the false persona he's trapped in due to the Jenova cells and Mako Poisoning he had. It was a moment that pierced the veil of his badassery and revealed the dorky, awkward Cloud that wasn't quite prepared for such an innocuous yet unexpected question.

What's important to remember is that Cloud essentially has two minds existing within him.

There is Cloud's active consciousness which is a construction of false memories and personality traits formed through the Jenova cells within him. This personality is a hodge-podge of Jenova's Mimicry ability utilizing Zack and Tifa's memories, and his perception of what it means to be a SOLDIER 1st Class.

Then there's Cloud's suppressed unconscious mind that is his real personality. The part of him that is hidden and weakened from Mako Poisoning, Jenova cells and trauma. Yet, despite all of these factors, this mind knows the truth behind everything and even carries some recollection of the past. It was the voice in Cloud's head trying to point out the inconsistencies in his memory, tried to resist Sephiroth's control over him and helped Tifa reconstruct his mind.

We're going to see the clash of these personalities in Part 1.

Yes, and this is exactly the sort of story expansion I’ve been wanting to see explored in the remake.

The OG scratched at it with a couple of breakdowns and several sequences of Cloud hearing voices without it being directly referred to who is saying them. It’s understandable why given that we’re not meant to know about it until way into Disc 2, but at the same time it makes the interactions feel more natural.

Asking someone their age is such a normal part of everyday conversation but in this context it has so much more meaning. Cloud stumbling over the answer is such a smart way of hinting at his state in a new way. You can just imagine some other examples of this (e.g. what did you do in SOLDIER?) that could easily set him off, and it’s going to be particularly interesting to see and hear the content of his visions now when he does have one of his moments.

Another thing I am very interested to see is his interaction with Shinra employees. I’ve mentioned it before but it seemed puzzling that in the OG, no one seemed to know who he was despite the Nibelheim Incident. We’ve already seen some subtle (Rude), and unsubtle (Hojo) references to it through trailers so I cannot wait to see how this all plays out.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
So, there's this brief section where Barret asks about Cloud's age, and Cloud mistakes Barret asking about his rank.

It's pretty funny, but kind of heartwarming in retrospect because aside from what Tifa told Barret about Cloud, it's him trying to get to know Cloud a little bit better, and I think he's realizing just how young Cloud is, despite his EX-Soldier status, in comparison to his 30+ years.

I genuinely laughed out loud at that exchange. It was pure gold.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Also, it's worth going in to the demo again and playing around with the System settings. There are a TON of controls for the camera distance and other things that are worth fiddling around with, as it'll be nice to set up quickly to your preferences with the full game. The Camera distance in and out of combat can be changed between 1 & 3. Zooming out a little bit might help some folks a little bit. I might go back and mess with a couple other options later today.

X :neo:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Posted via ResetEra.

9xuat4fffhk41.jpg

That is pretty amazing for a 2 day old demo, and also remember, most people don't even bother to rate these things.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
So does anyone think this demo will get datamined like the last one? If so, is possible there would be some differences in the revealed data? Oh, and wasn't there supposed to be a PS4 theme with the demo? How do I get it?

Last edited:

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Is there a way to be sure? Without simply guessing based on the playthrough? What I mean is, are there file signatures or something that differentiate one build from another, and would there be a way to check the demo files to see if this build is the same as the one that leaked?

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Is there a way to be sure? Without simply guessing based on the playthrough? What I mean is, are there file signatures or something that differentiate one build from another, and would there be a way to check the demo files to see if this build is the same as the one that leaked?
Software generally has version numbers, right? Maybe that could be checked. Otherwise, maybe comparing file dates or see if the script is the same...

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Things I learned from playing pylon golf:

1) There are only four blue pylons, two at the back of the train platform and two on the top floor of the train station.

2) You cannot pass any of the movable objects through the cut hole in the fence, even on a direct hit. At least that’s what my eyes tell me after a few hours of trying. My thinking is that it is still a solid barrier and the characters (including Cloud) moving through the hole is a scripted exception.

3) There were two thresholds that glitched out my objects. First is the entrance to the reactor building (the one that zooms out when you pass through it the first time) and the second is the door after the first sweeper fight. In both cases, I could pass objects through just fine, but when I followed them, they disappeared, re-appearing in their spot when I backtracked through the threshold. While they are disappeared they aren’t just invisible, but afaik gone, as running through where they should be has no effect on where they re-appear. Most curiously, it doesn’t have that problem when moving objects through the same threshold but in the opposite direction, as I was able to play BOX SOCCER with a box from the “That’s my line” room to punt off the bridge down into the slums, which was the more fun activity overall.

Last edited:
Top Bottom