Final Fantasy XIII Non-Spoiler Thread

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
You can, easily, but I was figuring most of us spent about that much time with the first time we played it.

And GTA's still a very different kind of game, with a different kind of story. I know you want FF to innovate, but I'm pretty sure they will always stick to a story that threatens the entire world which would generally call for you leaving the city.
I'm not saying they absolutely couldn't do it. I'm just saying it would be a very different game, maybe a good one, true. But looking at it as compared to FF7 as it is now, I thought it sounded dumb, in my opinion.

GTA is an example of being able to tell a huge story in a confined space.

Batman has saved the entire world from the confines of gotham a few times, and Superman from Metropolis.

FF7 is a painfully linear game with very limited exploration options, Midgar could have easily been expanded to tell a huge story from the city alone.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Oh bullshit. Your opinion angers, and confuses me.

The world map and exploration of FFVII's vast world pleases me more than staying ontop of that goddamn rotten pizza. One of the staples of an FF or RPG is being able to see the world.

For one, if we were just stuck in Midgar, we would be confined to only a metropolitan, dystopian city on one continent. Part of the fun of RPGs is traveling and seeing different locales, and scenary. I want to be able to go from jungle, to forest, to ocean, to mountains, to small towns, and everything in between. Midgar is just one dirty, grimy city. How the hell would you have places like Icile Inn, Gaea's Cliffs, Costa del Sol, Mideel, or Junon, if all of the action took place in one city?

Midgar's big, but it ain't that big. I agree there should've been more Midgar exploration but staying in that damn city for the entire game, and not seeing the world would've been lame. The Northern Crater is one of the best areas of FFVII.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
But...what Final Fantasy game hasn't been very linear? They all are. X-2's non-linearity was awfully transparent, and you could peruse around in FFXII and the world felt pretty amazing, but there wasn't really anything to do other than hunt for marks.
Again I say, they could do it, but it would have been a completely different game, and like mako said, seeing the world and different environments is part of FF.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

The world map and exploration of FFVII's vast world pleases me more than staying ontop of that goddamn rotten pizza. One of the staples of an FF or RPG is being able to see the world.

Good for you? No one said you were wrong for feeling that way, so save your rage for someone else son. My point is it could have been done and done well. Never did I say FF7 should be confined to one place.
For one, if we were just stuck in Midgar, we would be confined to only a metropolitan, dystopian city on one continent. Part of the fun of RPGs is traveling and seeing different locales, and scenary. I want to be able to go from jungle, to forest, to ocean, to mountains, to small towns, and everything in between. Midgar is just one dirty, grimy city. How the hell would you have places like Icile Inn, Gaea's Cliffs, Costa del Sol, Mideel, or Junon, if all of the action took place in one city?

One Dystopian city can be made just as interesting as an entire world if the proper work is put into it.
Midgar's big, but it ain't that big. I agree there should've been more Midgar exploration but staying in that damn city for the entire game, and not seeing the world would've been lame.

Midgar is VERY big, and full of potential, we bare saw anything of the place. There's nothing lame about telling a story within one location versus a variety of shallow ones. FF7 is fine as it is, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have worked that way as well.

The Northern Crater is one of the best areas of FFVII.

Strongly disagree, it's probably most drab and least interesting for me.

But...what Final Fantasy game hasn't been very linear? They all are. X-2's non-linearity was awfully transparent, and you could peruse around in FFXII and the world felt pretty amazing, but there wasn't really anything to do other than hunt for marks

What does that have to do with me pointing out the linearity of FF7? You're just illustrating a problem with all of the games, when we're speaking about one in particular.

Not to say Linearity doesn't work in games. Sometimes it's the best way to go.
Again I say, they could do it, but it would have been a completely different game, and like mako said, seeing the world and different environments is part of FF.

Yeah no it wouldn't. It could still have all the same characters, and many of the same events, just changed to take place within Midgar.

It's just a nice thought. Feeling this way won't change the way it is now.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi

Finding all the cool hidden stuff on the world map has kinda always been a big thing for me when it comes to RPGs. The Highwind in particular has been one of my favourite airships to just randomly fly around in, and in fact it's probably one of the most memorable things in FF7 for me. The accompanying music to the wandering around... it's just something I can't picture FF7 being without.

OT but One of the greatest losses of the series for me, was the loss of the world maps. It's something I've sorely missed since FFIX and it sort of killed my drive to explore in FFX (I naively spent half the game wondering when I was going to get my airship, then I realized hey... no world map duh D: ). Though, my favourite thing about FF12 was wondering around the maps so it's not a total necessary for me, but it's something I enjoy :p

One Dystopian city can be made just as interesting as an entire world if the proper work is put into it.

Agreed. In fact, the idea is quite intriguing imo. I'd love to see a full-scale game that focussed Midgar as the sole location.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Dacon, if I can't direct my anger at you, this forum loses its meaning.

Anyways, I disagree, but whatevs. Maybe one day we'll get a remake that allows us to play around in Midgar and you and everyone else can be happy.

@looneymoon

I miss world maps too, but in games like FFXII, where you're literally FREE ROAMING EVERYWHERE, I can do without it. Hopefully with FFXIII, we'll be able to free roam even more and that'll be even more fun. Because if you're able to literally walk and go ANYWHERE around the world..you really don't need the world map. You're already wandering the world and it's not only to scale, but you can see the enemies and shit all around you. That's way more fun to me than a world map.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Dacon, if I can't direct my anger at you, this forum loses its meaning.

Anyways, I disagree, but whatevs. Maybe one day we'll get a remake that allows us to play around in Midgar and you and everyone else can be happy.
Who says I'm not happy now?

There no reason not to have a world map and on foot navigation like FFXII did. DQVIII did it perfectly, you spend half the game walking around much like FFXII with everything to scale, then when you get access to flight you can see the world map in all it's glory.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

There no reason not to have a world map and on foot navigation like FFXII did. DQVIII did it perfectly, you spend half the game walking around much like FFXII with everything to scale, then when you get access to flight you can see the world map in all it's glory.

I'm never happy. :'(

Ahh, that would be cool. Best of both worlds right there.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi

I haven't played DQVIII but that sounds AMAZING :monster:

and yeah I'm totally cool with on-foot worldmaps ala FFXII, but I really liked the feeling of whizzing past all the world areas at full airship speed. Not to criticize XII in the slightest though, because I do feel it is the FF that offers the best exploration of any of the titles. I haven't been the most up-to-date with FFXIII, but I can only hope that it offers the same level of exploration as FXII did.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well since this is a thread for FFXIII, I should point out that so far, we've seen the characters walking around Pulse, in a fully rendered environment with wildlife and monsters all around you, and it looked just as awesome as FFXII, except with better cutting edge graphics ala the PS3.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Wasn't there something about getting to fly airships in Famitsu a while back?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I can't wait for systems to be powerful enough to render FFXII's or X's world in real time while free-flying an airship :P

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I can't wait for systems to be powerful enough to render FFXII's or X's world in real time while free-flying an airship :P

Joke post?

They are. Even with FFXIII's world it could be done.

All it takes is a few settings tweaks and system optimizations.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
2282603.jpg

She looks damn near better than the character in the game.

also

vdpl60.jpg

ALWAYS WANTED ME A LITTLE HORSEY, BUT IT'S A FLYING ONE, AIN'T COOL, BUT LET'S JUST GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
2282603.jpg

She looks damn near better than the character in the game.

also

vdpl60.jpg

ALWAYS WANTED ME A LITTLE HORSEY, BUT IT'S A FLYING ONE, AIN'T COOL, BUT LET'S JUST GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE.

Wow, she's so pretty. Excellent cosplay is excellent.

And I just creamed my pants looking at that cover. Fuck.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
This looks to be like the prelude to The Big One. Or this could be the Big one already.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Remember back when XIII was first announced, and a lot of us surmised there wouldn't be some cliche love story because Lightning was the title character and she was described as being an independent, strong woman?

Good god we were wrong.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Oh fuck off, with your hate of any sort of intimate emotion. You cold shell of a human. It's like those haters of FFVIII and FFX all over again.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Take that back or I'll knock you down till you cry, Mako. Big Boss is not what you make him to be! He's a gentleman, with a heart of a lion and the will of unknown quantity.

Also. there were X haters??? name them.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Knock me down. Just don't cry while you do it.

And yeah. People who thought Tidus and Yuna being in love was blasphemous. I swear, I don't get when the fuck love stories became taboo for RPGs. If you think its that stupid, just ignore it. It's not like the characters are sucking face while you're beating the shit out of cactaurs or anything.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Oh fuck off, with your hate of any sort of intimate emotion. You cold shell of a human.

What nonsense be this? I will not be insulted good sir.
It's like those haters of FFVIII and FFX all over again.
No it isn't. And the romance of FFX was rather subdued and realistic. Not rife with cheese, even though it had a bit(kissing and crying underwater I'm looking at you) of it's own.

A bad cliche love story can be distracting in an overall decent narrative. It's unnecessary and seems to be there only to pander to fangirls. Thank god for FFXII.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
What nonsense be this? I will not be insulted good sir.

You shall, and you have been, sir.

No it isn't. And the romance of FFX was rather subdued and realistic. Not rife with cheese, even though it had a bit(kissing and crying underwater I'm looking at you) of it's own.

A bad cliche love story can be distracting in an overall decent narrative. It's unnecessary and seems to be there only to pander to fangirls. Thank god for FFXII.

Didn't really think VIII was cheesy, and I agree FFX's was nicely done and subdued. I think it did it better than VIII, though.

And we don't even know if XIII's is gonna be cheesy or bad at all. We should be open before we say our worst dreams were realized or something.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
You shall, and you have been, sir.

Enjoy your report.
Didn't really think VIII was cheesy, and I agree FFX's was nicely done and subdued. I think it did it better than VIII, though.

I didn't think VIII's was cheesy, just badly done, but not so much that I gave enough of a shit to role my eyes at every turn.
And we don't even know if XIII's is gonna be cheesy or bad at all. We should be open before we say our worst dreams were realized or something.

Trailers, acting, and music don't bode well. Hopefully they get that shit out the way quick.

Top Bottom