Final Fantasy XV (was Versus XIII)

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
lol L2 and Circle...

But seriously, I might have to get the Steam version because I haven't been on PSPlus in a while...

Godo128

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I am a complete novice here. But this forum and community always has great conversations. I thought Final Fantasy XV was amazing, and while it had its faults, it is my favorite game of all time thus far. I loved how intuitive and complex the battle system was. I fell in love with the themes of the story, and the four main characters are my favorite cast of Final Fantasy characters. Final Fantasy XV took risks, and most of them paid off. You can dodge, you can parry, you can link strike, you can warp strike. The options are varied. I hate going through dungeons in most games, but loved going through tombs and observing the secrets of the world. I’ve done most of the challenges in the game, and it makes me excited when I run into an opponent who is stronger than my characters. This was a great game, and although some of it felt rushed, the effort put into the world, main characters, and themes really make it shine. I’m looking forward to episode Ardyn, and anything else that comes from this entry into the series.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
it is my favorite game of all time thus far.

That's quite the claim. Don't think I've heard anyone say it's their favourite of all time.

I love the game. I think its good points more than compensated for its many flaws and I think the DLC completely changed the quality of the game. Ignis and Prompto DLCs especially changed the experience massively for me (and I hope Ardyn does the same).

Ignis DLC was really essential for shifting the theme of the game back into making sense (i.e the game is about the bros, not about the romance) and Prompto DLC was essential for completely fixing the otherwise awful pacing of the last third. Not many people have pointed out that about the Prompto DLC but I thought it was its main accomplishment!

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't know if it somehow deposes the holy trinity for me of FFVI, FFVII, and FFXIII but... It's really fucking good and enjoyable. The most enjoyable modern FF I've played in a long time.

Granted, perspective and timing means everything.

I played FFXV's Royal Edition and after all the problems it had have been fixed by dozens of patches. That was my first impression of it as a player.

I'm pretty positive those who played it before that, and not the Royal Edition have an opposite opinion.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
As someone who played patchless XV for about 100hs (I had crappy download speed for a good while) I beg to differ :monster:. The QoL updates were nice but they dont massively improve the game, same thing with the DLCs.

EDIT:
That's quite the claim. Don't think I've heard anyone say it's their favourite of all time.

I love the game. I think its good points more than compensated for its many flaws and I think the DLC completely changed the quality of the game. Ignis and Prompto DLCs especially changed the experience massively for me (and I hope Ardyn does the same).

Ignis DLC was really essential for shifting the theme of the game back into making sense (i.e the game is about the bros, not about the romance) and Prompto DLC was essential for completely fixing the otherwise awful pacing of the last third. Not many people have pointed out that about the Prompto DLC but I thought it was its main accomplishment!
It doesn't need to be perfect to be your all time favourite, otherwise nothing would be.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I played the game at release, and I still absolutely loved it to bits. I agree that the Royal Edition made marked improvements, but I'm not more or less fond of the game overall than I already was from the release version. The biggest part was that the whole journey with the chocobros up through the end always resonated with me super strongly, and that's the stuff that's still there. The improvements just gave me more stuff to indulge in and love about that. Although I will admit that the moment of getting to be a part of the story with Comrades really just planted a personal tie to the game in a way where I haven't ever had one before, and I'll never forget that feeling.

I do also always think that in some ways Final Fantasy XV is very much like a new "Greatest Hits" album in how some things mirror older Final Fantasy games in ways that are almost like remake nostalgia but changed (Magitek weaponry, spikey blonde cloning, etc.) so I think of it a little bit differently from the other FF games, where those things are usually more limited to the common FF-components (Cid, Chocobos, Malboro, Gilgamesh, etc).

X :neo:

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
A thing I'm wondering about episode Ardyn is whether they changed what it's about. If anyone remembers back to the original announcement, it was described as:

Episode I: Ardyn “The Conflict of the Sage” (Working Title) (Winter 2019) – This story portrays the struggles of Ardyn. Witness the resentment he harbored towards Lucis for over 2,000 years, and his clashes with the Astrals.

Have they ditched the "clashes with the Astrals" part? We saw none of that in the trailer and it's not clear how that could fit with the Insomnia setting. Shiva was sleeping somewhere on Niflheim, near where her corpse is found. Ifrit's corpse was supposed to be at the Rock of Ravatogh. The only one that would fit with this setting is Ramuh, who was guarding Angelgard (we think).

I was kinda hoping we'd see the Niflheim vs Shiva battle.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
I just had a dumb thought:

Thus far, all the previous episodes have granted little "goodies" to the main party once you clear them, items for Ignis, items for Prompto, items for Gladio, alternate outfits, weapons, etc.

I'm wondering what clearing Episode Ardyn will give us once we clear it... IT HAS TO BE SOMETHING GOOD.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Yeah but those goodies have mostly been crap. Besides, the main thing this game really doesn't need is more weapons/items/skills. It's already too easy.
If they wanted to do a good unlockable, hows about: completing the DLC unlocks the day-time Insomnia explorable in the main game, with various new sidequests and monsters. That would be relatively easy to do and it would be an awesome addition. (the only difficulty would be making it fit in with the story, given that it's occupied at that time)

Also, I have another unpopular opinion. If they somehow change their minds and decide to do another DLC (maybe because the Ardyn one sells really well), I actually would prefer Aranea DLC over Luna (and we definitely don't need the Noctis one). It's not that I'd REALLY prefer the Aranea one, it's just that I think realistically, they couldn't really fix the problems with Luna in a single DLC. Her lack of importance in the story would really need a complete re-writing in order to fix. Whereas the Aranea DLC could actually be a great addition. We never got to saw the empire falling apart in the main story, so that's an important gap to fill. Also, it could be set around Tenebrae, meaning we could get an explorable version of the city. Aranea would also work better for gameplay purposes. It's not clear what gameplay an episode Luna would have.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Really not sure what version of the game you're playing for it to be called too easy. The game carries a lot of challenging bosses/superbosses and dungeons that were not easy in the least.

Omega, MA-X Angelus, Dread Behemoth, Tyraneant, Garuda Lv. 120, the sealed passages of all dungeons, the entire Costlemark Tower and the Pitioss Dungeon are all very challenging. What more are you expecting?

Furthermore not sure how you could call the DLC weapons/additions crap. The Garuda weapons alone are some of the best in the game, Sarah's Shortsword is one of the best weapons to get early on with the Holy element, the Ragnarok makes warpstrikes super heavyhitting at the cost of speed, and the other weapons (Masamune, Blazefire Saber XV, etc) are good early-to-mid game bonuses that don't totally eclipse the other gear you earn in-game.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Either I suck ass or you all are masters at the game.

Level 120 Garuda is not only a difficult fight, but a race against the clock because if she destroys all the crystal shards in the arena, you're fucked. She'll use her ultimate attack which will wipe out everyone without fail. She's especially challenging due to her power and speed. Her flight makes Noctis essentially the only one capable of fighting her in the air.

I don't know how Omega is easy unless you're doing the Prompto exploit to just camp out behind rubble and infinite machine gun the sucker to death. I chose not to do that and fight it head on. That was a 20 minute or more straight fight.

MA-X Angelus is the ultimate Magitek Armor that's fucking ridiculous to fight since its stats make it super resilient and powerful. You only do 10% damage to it, and it's immune to summons, most magic, and hits like a truck. I farmed that thing for like 2 days to get V2 Magitek suits for everybody. :mon:

That was hell.

I have yet to take on the Level 120 Dread Behemoth and Tyraneant simultaneous Timed Quest boss fight because I'm waiting for the 31st... Although I may just change the date on my PS4 and go for it.

And the Pitioss Dungeon is a fucking platforming hell that only the most masochistic should try to play. :mon:

So I don't see how FFXV is easy. Out of all modern Final Fantasies I've played, it's challenging. Not the most difficult (that distinction goes to Lightning Returns) but a healthy challenge and that's fine.

..Fuck, I forgot about the DLC optional bosses like Noctis for Ignis, Cor for Gladio, Aranea and the hidden Behemoth in Episode Prompto.

Like, I don't see FFXV being lacking in difficulty at all. Maybe in terms of the main game since yeah. That was not really difficult, even the final boss, but it is full of challenging optional content to keep one busy for weeks.

Oh, and the extra DLC add on accessories have been amazing.

Founders Sigil for Armitger Unleashed? That alone makes it worth it.

But the things that help with AP grinding, Tech bar filling, and Armitger gauge filling are beyond just quality of life additions.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
The game has some abusable cheeses that reduce challenge significantly from most encounters, to name some:

1. Curative Item spamming (the most obvious one)
2. Magitek Exosuit (30 minutes of total invulnerability/xxxxxx amount of damage negation)
3. Buffed Ring of the Lucii (outside of Timed Quest, because SQX made the Ring artificially powerless for these challenges):

*'Death' with a relative decent amount of magic stat can kill all non bosses in few seconds.
*'Alterna', while being rgn, is capable of 1-shoting nearly every enemy in the game sans a few specific bosses.

4. Ragnarok, free cheap warp-strike damage.
5. Being able to change gear mid-battle, it was insanely exploitable in XII and it's insanely exploitable in XV.
6. Some food buffs.
7. Allies & character techniques (the techs themselves are not OP, what is OP is that you and the respective bro gain invisibility frames while the tech is being performed).
8. The 3 bros (more so Gladio and Prompto than Ignis), they make early to endgame a cakewalk.
9. Armiger Unleash, the only thing in the game that stands a chance againts it is Omega.

If you put self-restrictions it is challenging but if you use every cheese in the game it is an easy game.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
...I've never used the Magitek Exosuit because I forgot I had it, because when I first saw it I thought it looked ugly as fuck. :mon:

Regarding the Ring of Lucii, the only time I used it was to get through problematic mobs in Costlemark Tower's secret dungeon path where you're locked out of items. Alterna is basically X-Zone and while powerful, doesn't always work, to be fair.

Death is pretty sick though, that's true.

Ragnarok is amazing early to mid-game but the warp-strike you do is slower. And eventually you get stronger weapons, even without the warp damage bonus.

I mean, I don't think the food buffs are OP. That's the point of food. It's to prepare and buff you to give yourself an edge. Of course one should use it, but I still find it the game a challenge.

Armiger Unleashed was vital to stand against Omega, and also Garuda Lv. 120. Hell, Angelus as well. It's fucking awesome, but I wouldn't say its broken. Especially since you have to learn its combos so you aren't just reliant on using Legacy of the Lucii. And if you get put in critical, you're knocked out of it entirely.

As or Invincibility Frames and item spam, I mean. Okay. It helps, but. You don't always have a tech bar filled to always escape every dangerous hit, and items are always an edge in FF games, along with equipment change. I don't think it makes the game a cakewalk. The main quest is easy but I don't find the game as a whole, too easy. Magitek Exosuit excluded since.. Yeah.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
The healing item thing is the main issue. It's very hard to get gameover if you have enough healing items.

There's also the fact that content-wise, the game is very front heavy. So it's incredibly easy to get overleveled for the main story stuff.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
I'm not entirely knowledgeable of every "cheese" in the game, though I tend to abuse the Megaphone and HP regen builds.

I think it all depends on how you approach boss fights in general.

If you're taking on a boss fight while reading a strategy guide in your hands, yeah it's easy...

But if you're going head-first in to something without knowing what your supposed to do it's not that easy for anything. I think that should be taken in to consideration here.

As someone who likes to muscle his way through battles without thinking too much about what tactics are needed, I've hit plenty of potholes along the way, so I can say that the game has its own challenges to face if you don't prepare specific tactics ahead of time.

Imagine taking on the Sewers without any Status ailment protection... you are in for a world of hurt.

Top Bottom