Final Fantasy XV (was Versus XIII)

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I want leakage too D:

I agree with Tres - I also thought Luna (even back when she was Stella) very Yuna-like character - usually quiet, mild-mannered but strong and determined. I haven't felt like they're trying to shoehorn everything female into her because she's pretty much our only female, but I haven't also been disappointed by her either. Either in movie or what we've seen thus far ingame.

And frankly I don't understand where all the bull comes from in comparing her to Stella... they're basically the same character, just going through the transitions of change over, y'know 10 years.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I do hope we someday learn what the original story was going to be. Luna and Stella do largely seem to be the same character, but Tabata has been up front about the two occupying different roles.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Yeah I recall him saying that but then you're right... we as the audience hardly knew anything so it just seems like an odd swapout/rename. At least to me anyway /shrug

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
I'm still baffled to the thought of judging a character with just seconds of footage taken out of context.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Eh, I get it. Stella's attire looked easier to move around in and she summoned a rapier. Granted, Luna summons a trident, which is the weapon of choice for both Marvel's Namor and DC's Aquaman (badasses both) -- but a trident is closer in design to a scepter, which is the typical weapon of White Mages in FF ... which is the typical class for FF damsels.

tl;dr: At a glance, Stella seemed less "dainty," for lack of a better word, while still appearing feminine. It's not hard to understand when you think about it in these terms.

There's also the fact we were told Stella was going to be forced to fight Noctis (implying she registered as his equal on a combat level), and -- even more notably -- that some Japanese magazine back in the day compared her to Celes. That's going to put an image in people's minds, especially when said image sits in the mind for years while awaiting more info.

It's entirely possible that there's no appreciable difference between the two, but we have years of gaps filling in the space between rapier-wielding Celes-apprentice in clothes that allow her to run around ... and generic-looking (by FF standards) waifish White Mage in a mermaid-style cocktail dress.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
There's also the fact we were told Stella was going to be forced to fight Noctis (implying she registered as his equal on a combat level), and -- even more notably -- that some Japanese magazine back in the day compared her to Celes. That's going to put an image in people's minds, especially when said image sits in the mind for years while awaiting more info.

Could you provide a source for this claim, please?

Lex

Administrator
I'm confused. Someone in a magazine compared the character to Celes and you're on a crusade for scans because... why? You do realise that a person writing an opinion piece in a magazine carries as much weight as me doing the same thing on this board, right?

For what it's worth, it's mentioned on Stella's wiki page.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I tried to find an original source for it beyond references to it on the wiki or in comments sections of other news articles just now, but was unable to. A couple of the references I saw are as old as 2010, though, so who knows when or where the original comparison was made.

To be clear, I think the comparison was primarily about her situation (being drawn into conflict with people she didn't want to fight) -- but, again, people read that and it settled in their heads for a few years without any new info. Inevitably fans are going to think more of Celes the character being compared to Stella rather than Celes's situation being compared to Stella's situation.

Last edited:

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
According to the ATR:

King's Knight: Wrath of the Dark Dragon will be a new mobile title in the XV universe that Noctis and co. play on their phones.

. . . .

I'm getting a little sick of this game within a game shit, tbh.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
With all the Luna talk going on right now and stuff, I was reminded of this post I made last year about Luna and Gentiana. :monster: I'm still thinking that the hairstyle being almost exactly the same has significance.

I also rather like the Luna w/trident instead of a rapier. A rapier is like such a standard 'elegant sword' for women in games. How many characters actually wield a trident, though? Of course she'd still look good with a rapier (and Stella looked great with one).
Another side note, the plot point of Stella supposedly fighting Noctis was a cool idea. I saw a video too of someone mentioning how in the portrait pic of the characters lined up, Stella/Luna was opposite of Noctis, indicating that she was on the bad side. :monster:

Also that slap in that trailer was awesome. Awesome because it seems pretty damn serious and I want this game to be serious and make me feel things.

(Side note, is Ardyn the Big Bad then? I remember Tabata saying the main villain of XV was going to 'top all of the others'. God yes, give me a terrible and awesome villain :awesome: )

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
So I happened to see this image online and... well it looks like a very similar scene in the most recent trailer. Maybe right after that scene. But it was in the Jump Festa 2015 trailer and I never noticed it til now.
Train-FFXV-Jump-Trailer.png

So the freezing inside of the train. Is this right after Gladio and Noct's argument? Is this a Shiva attack? They're all passed/passing out from the cold. Hrrrrmmmm.

Edit: Also found some nice screenshots here of the newest trailer: http://www.finalfantasy.net/xv/final-fantasy-xv-screenshots-show-shiva-gentiana/

Fangu

Great Old One
So I saw the Kingsglaive movie last night - I didn't even know it was a thing, lol; my boyfriend said he'd downloaded "The two hour Final Fantasy 15 movie" and I'm like, dude, what the hell are you talking about XD Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised. Aside from a few yawn triggering tropes, I enjoyed the story. And re: the Luna discussion, I really like this Luna. Then I saw the newest FFXV trailer and I was kind of... is that the same person? Huh. I much prefer the movie version. Anyway... as someone brought up a couple of pages ago, it's a big early to start judging her entire (game) character based on fifteen seconds of footage.

I'm starting to be slightly excited for this game, but I still can't shake how I'd be much happier if it was a part of the XIII saga as intended. It would have been the perfect balance to XIII (ancient times/ strong female cast, modern/ sausage fest) but instead it's been remade into a main title which sets itself apart from the other FF titles, which used to be all about a large, diverse party. But, I'm sure this has been brought up a million times ago and anyone defending the change with the argument "it's new and different, SE has to keep reinventing themselves" - well, I don't really have a counter to that argument, really. Personal preference.

That being said, it's not doing anyone any favours to rewrite Luna to be "strong" if her original role was to play third violin. Then rather let it be a Man's World game and then they can come back as a more regular FF title with FFXVI.

Also, Nyx. <3 Rarely do I encounter such a trope enchanted character that I still end up loving dearly.

/ opinions

Top Bottom