Final Fantasy XVI

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
Personally, I'm not surprised. I thought it was a shit trailer, I felt 0 desire to go back and rewatch it, and every time someone goes "wow chills I'm so hyped for this game this is their best trailer yet" I have no idea what they mean lmao.

This tweet about it is a big mood:

I think the best trailer for ff16 has been the very first reveal trailer where the hype as fuck soken_boss_fight_second_phase_music.mp3 kicks in during the mid way point.

Edit: btw, the trailers from that list that I have gone back and rewatched a few times are hades 2 bisexual boogaloo, and armored core.

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I don't know, to me Revenge was the one that hooked me up, totally. The kind of showcase that makes me proud of being a FF fan. I'm seeing a lot more enthusiastic comments compared to previous trailers too.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The Dominant trailer with all the summon names chanted and this one are my two favorite XVI trailers.

The reason I liked the most recent one was the showcase of the party, Ifrit being summoned to battle, that transformation beatdown against Garuda, the insight into Clive's motivation and the badass tagline :monster:

"Fate is written in fire."

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I've been hooked since the FF prelude began playing in the very first "Awakening" trailer (timestamped):

Over the last two years, and especially the past few months, I've been equal parts fascinated and annoyed that people are once again grappling with the identity of the series, arguing in their minds and online over "what is and isn't FF". For a series with 16 unique iterations, it's amazing that this is still an issue.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
As stated none of the prior trailers really appealed. Just looked like GoT or some edgy renaissance faire stuff. This trailer showing a group of people preparing for a fight against something was the first time any of these trailers felt like a Final Fantasy to me.

I don't have the "omg chills hype," but it was always a given that I'd be getting the game, and this was the first trailer that made me think "there we go."

Last edited:

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
Over the last two years, and especially the past few months, I've been equal parts fascinated and annoyed that people are once again grappling with the identity of the series, arguing in their minds and online over "what is and isn't FF". For a series with 16 unique iterations, it's amazing that this is still an issue.

Yeah, people being unable to grasp that "Has Final Fantasy in the Title" is the only qualification to being a Final Fantasy thing has been amusing. The "Finally, Final Fantasy is going back to its roots, none of this boyband or technology shit, more grounded Knights and Castles" people have also quite funny because that's like saying this person has never played an FF game in their life.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I'm just not sympathetic when fans view the series from a materialistic standpoint (i.e., does it have X, Y, or Z). Instead, I wish fans would consider the soul of the series, the emotions the creators put into each mainline game, when they're presented with something new.

I feel with that in mind, XVI's authenticity has been evident since its reveal.

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
As stated none of the prior trailers really appealed. Just looked like GoT or some edgy renaissance faire stuff. This trailer showing a group of people preparing for a fight against something was the first time any of these trailers felt like a Final Fantasy to me.

I don't have the "omg chills hype," but it was always a given that I'd be getting the game, and this was the first trailer that made me think "there we go."

Very much agree. “What do we do?”
“The usual!”

Yes thank you. Relationships, characters. It’s not my type of game (DMC slugger with QuickTime events) but it may be the first game of its type I really enjoy. Love the style and tone.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
I'm just not sympathetic when fans view the series from a materialistic standpoint (i.e., does it have X, Y, or Z). Instead, I wish fans would consider the soul of the series, the emotions the creators put into each mainline game, when they're presented with something new.

I feel with that in mind, XVI's authenticity has been evident since its reveal.
This should be put in a mural.

Btw, nice to have more confirmation that Clive is an anti-hero. Bit is from the official site.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXVI/comments/zi5mgg

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Man, between Rosaria/Rozzaria, that tagline "the legacy of the crystals has shaped mankind's destiny for long enough" versus "He shall defy the will of the gods, and see the reigns of history in the hands of man", and an approaching cataclysm due to a lack of aether, I can't help but feel like we're back in Ivalice :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Anyone manage to get the collector's edition?

It was quite the ordeal on my end. Queued up, had to wait 10 minutes to log in, and then kept getting error after error trying to order the fucking thing. Then right on the order processing page it 404'd. So I do the whole fucking process again, and it goes through.

...Then I get an email 10 minutes later and discover I ordered TWO of them. :rclosedmonster:

I contacted support to let them handle it because I do NOT want to cancel the wrong one and end up fucking myself over. But, at least I got it... In the weirdest way possible lol...

Lex

Administrator
I made a vow not to get them anymore and I actually stuck to it this time. I have every FF Collector's edition since they started doing them (even the XV Ultimate Edition which was super limited, and the XIII-2 collector's edition that came with a neat T-Shirt).

I want things that are exclusive to them, like I like those badges in XVI's ultimate set but I don't want the Play Arts stuff because I'm not massively into displaying them so inevitably I open it, look at it, and then they all sit in a box and take up loads of space. I'll probably try and get a steelbook, I like those.

Realistically for me it's spending a lot of money to have a big box that eats up space and maybe flick through a neat art book once or twice, so I'm refusing to do it now. Even though I still have that voice in my head telling me that I absolutely should. I say no. NO!

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Anyone manage to get the collector's edition?

It was quite the ordeal on my end. Queued up, had to wait 10 minutes to log in, and then kept getting error after error trying to order the fucking thing. Then right on the order processing page it 404'd. So I do the whole fucking process again, and it goes through.

...Then I get an email 10 minutes later and discover I ordered TWO of them. :rclosedmonster:

I contacted support to let them handle it because I do NOT want to cancel the wrong one and end up fucking myself over. But, at least I got it... In the weirdest way possible lol...

I had no issue ordering mine. You're in NA right?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Awww how cute!

Unsurprisingly, they look like the XIV iteration of the mascot.

So nice to see they're unafraid of including our familiar FF motifs in such a darker, mature story.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
A bit disappointed they didn't try something new/creative (like say XII), I'm too used to see that design in XIV.

I have traumatic memories of countless fetch quests given by these guys...

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
IMG_20221231_200604.jpg

Top Bottom