Final Fantasy XVI

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
First four seasons eh? I’ll allow it, but trust me we’ll know if you watched past that.

Yoshida mentions in a new interview that FF16 has enough content to fill four drama seasons, which is on brand with the Game of Thrones seasons that the staff watched. Here's an excerpt of what he said:

Yoshida: "I was and still am a fan of Final Fantasy series, even if I'm now part of the development side. [What is memorable] is always the story, which pulls at your emotions, making you laugh, cry, etc.

I would say that FF16 has enough content that can cover four [overseas] drama seasons. The game has virtually no loading times, is top-notch, and our goal was to make a story where once you pick it up you can't put it down. But of course, we'd be worried if you didn't sleep and pull all nighters while playing the game, so uh, yeah...

For us though, we really put a lot of effort into the story to make it one that everyone can enjoy, so we really hope you can look forward to it!"

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i kept putting off watching the newer trailers (and ever since ffxiii i stopped watching the ones closer to release anyway), but now i just won't bother. at least until i've played it and can compare and stuff

i am really out of the loop or just have no sense of time anymore, i knew it was meant to be out this year but i didn't realise it was later this month. guess i should look at ordering a copy or something

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Awesome stuff. The dungeon itself reminded me of XII's Tomb of Raithwall and Vagrant Story. Music was on point. I still think there's too many effects on the screen, hope this can be filtered.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Demo launches tomorrow.

FyYQrglXoAIuyvI

image.png

image.png

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
The music panel was amazing. Alex and Soken brought a lot of energy. Live-action movie was actually very good, almost like the "npcs" were singing to motivate Clive.

Fuck I want this game right now

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
It’s funny because my initial reaction to FFXVI was very negative, but now I think it’s clearly going to be one of the best games in the series we’ve seen in a long time. I can’t tell you any specific moment where my mind was changed, it was all very gradual, but the game it’s shaped up to be an unparalleled fantasy adventure.

The shame is that I currently have nothing to play it on! The PS5 is back in the ‘States.

D

Deleted member 13557

Beaten the prologue and battle demos. Left a very strong impression on me which is uncommon for a modern FF title.

Square really are about to drop their next masterpiece on us huh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
Played on graphics mode, very impressive stuff overall. Despite some abilities being straight from DMC5, I think I understand where some previews saying it doesn't really play like a DMC game are coming from now; boss fights in particular feel more methodical which I'm all for. I don't know if it's GotY material, particularly given TotK exists, but it certainly feels a LOT more focused than XV ever did.

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
Dear oh dear. This is quite something.

I have to admit I’ve not paid too much attention to XVI, I’ve been in the Remake/Rebirth bubble for too long. I have watched much of the trailers and sure yeah it looked alright but it hadn’t quite gripped me yet.

I saw some of the hype around the demo and thought “ah sure why not” and bloody hell it is engaging. The game looks superb. The game sounds superb, with captivating, well-written characters voice acted brilliantly. I don’t know, it feels like Final Fantasy without feeling like Final Fantasy. There’s a darkness…

All this from a two hour taster. Maybe I’m getting a bit carried away, but on that evidence this could be outstanding.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
...This is probably the most intense FF opening I've ever experienced. Holy shit.

I went lost my shit in the discord while playing but suffice to say, this demo was incredible. Yoshi-P cooked this game to perfection. It's a feast. They made a masterpiece and combat system is so good.

I cannot wait for the rest of the game. And that opening was not what I expected at all. This plot is something else.

Never felt so good getting a collector's edition. I went for it on the trust this game was gonna be worth it and they didn't let me down.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Played for a while, haven't finished the demo though because it's getting late

Opening looks great, I'm engaged

Performance mode unfortunately not a locked 60 it seems

photo mode a bit barebones but the camera is not as ass as in VIIR

spent most of my time just looking at things, I stopped right where I'm supposed to kill goblins and finally get to properly play lmao

MoLe_BlAdE

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I played it for roughly half an hour last night. That opening was absolutely jaw-dropping.

Think the combat is gonna be a bit of a learning curve for me - I'm still so used to dodging with circle...

I was hugely sceptical about this at first as it gave me proper XII vibes, but very much looking forward to getting stuck in properly.

Reactions: Wol

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Alright, finished the demo. That's a really good opening, damn. Already feels like XVI is gonna be a winner.

Messed up at the last Eikon battle with the countdown because for some reason I thought maybe I gotta attack the charging fireball. Did it for just a second but was long enough to not be able to take Ifrit down in time. Got a game over!
I was surprised, because I thought maybe I was supposed to lose regardless. Then I succeeded the second time and the same animation where you get hit by the attack plays anyway! Might as well have let me live the first time around lmao

Noticed you can charge your spell while attacking. Was wondering whether it'd work like charging Nero's revolver in DMC4 and it does because of course :monster:
It's a bit awkward with both attack and magic being on face buttons. I switched to control scheme C where magic is on L1. Needs a bit getting used to but allows to basically charge the spell while attacking to then use it at the end of a combo. Or vice versa, charge your blade while attacking from afar so you have a strong attack to be ready for when you close back in.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
does the demo save your progress within the demo as well? i didn't start it last night because i thought it'd need to be played at once in a 2+ hour block. if there were saves during and i knew that, i would have started it last night lol

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
Only complaint I have with the demo. Noticeable drops during the Ifrit/Phoenix fight especially when colliding with the environment

Yeah even on graphics mode with the 30fps cap it struggled during that part, but the presentation in every other aspect is so slick that I was relatively forgiving of it. My mind might change if it persistently affects gameplay later on, though.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Finished the Eikonic Challenge as well

Noticed right away it starts with some of the 'timely' amulets equipped to make combat easier. Immediately unequipped them :mon:
You can even unlock more abilities to experiment with the combat more. Good of them to include a slightly more advanced combat scenario in addition to the simpler beginning portion.

Actually did struggle a bit though juggling three different Eikon movesets. Will take some getting used to remembering who had what ability and when best to switch etc.
Using Titan's counter is fun, I love parry mechanics. Seems like other Eikon abilities can also be used to parry when timed right. Boss fight was good shit. The presentation is fantastic.

Thank fuck this demo is only a week in advance of the actual game and not like, three months because I wanna continue the story *now* :P

Top Bottom