Game of Thrones

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I'm sorry but Jon is fucking badass in the books, there ain't no way crater of all people should have been able to sneak up on him let alone knock him out.
>jon is a fucking badass

sorry i couldn't hear you over the sound of jon crying and leaving the feast hall because he wasn't going to father a bastard (and also because he was a bit too far into his cups)

or the sound of jon refusing to have sex because HONOR and using his sword as a physical cockblock

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
i think it will be fairly well-established that jon snow knows nothing

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
i think it will be fairly well-established that jon snow knows nothing

I missed that in last episode. So much fanwank they can do and they just let it go.

The show also needs more it is known and hodor. Particularly more hodor. Maybe some Arya murder prayers (srsly, they do that only once in the show while in the books she's like BOILING CAULDRON FULL OF HATE AND MURDEROUS RAEG?).

But anyway; they need to introduce Jojen / Meera soon, else they're fucked, unless they plan on keeping Osha and Hodor around as the only companionship. I actually forgot about what happens to Osha, :monster:.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
>jon is a fucking badass

sorry i couldn't hear you over the sound of jon crying and leaving the feast hall because he wasn't going to father a bastard (and also because he was a bit too far into his cups)

or the sound of jon refusing to have sex because HONOR and using his sword as a physical cockblock

Being a badass doesn't mean doing awesome things all of the time.

Jon's flaws are part of what make him a great character imo.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Being a badass doesn't mean doing awesome things all of the time.

Jon's flaws are part of what make him a great character imo.
i think jon is a doofus, tho granted i haven't finished all the books yet

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
where Danerys' character development spanned perhaps the first two books, and Arya's development shot off exponentially somewhere in the middle of the series (and other characters like Sansa and Tyrion have been just pottering along somehow), Jon Snow has been paced quite evenly throughout the novels.
For him there's been a long, steady stream of trials and tribulations that have gradually turned him from a naive son of Ned Stark, into real, hard leadership material.

It's why the Night's Watch segments have probably been my favorite so far, because no scene has ever felt like the usual politicking and scheming going on in the South (or at least, it's been mostly deflected throughout the scenes). Just plain old classic fantasy journey driven by incredible characters. Not to say that I don't like the politicking of ASOIAF, it's the main draw. But after a while (especially when Danaerys starts getting bogged down by the politics), it's a refreshing change in pace. Especially when the main antagonists of the entire world haven't been properly seen in force yet, the suspense of knowing that brings the series back to the roots of its genre.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
tumblr_m3dfiscK9u1rv8cnho1_500.jpg

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
There needs to be moar scenes between Charles Dance & Maisie Williams. Seriously, the two best actors in the show.

No Jaqen in the tub scene. Even *I* wanted to see that. :(

Another ep, another 'Let's shoehorn Littlefinger into the story'. Wouldn't be so bad if Gillen's acting didn't suck all of a sudden.

I treat Dany's scenes with the same disdain I do in the books. They're so fucking boring. 'Waaaa! I'm Dany the Stormborn now gimme my shizzle!' rinse, repeat.

Still miffed at how Sandor keeps getting shafted. Such a waste. It's like they pay the character the most basic lipservice and move on. They haven't really touched on his relationship with Sansa at all. I bet they just throw in one token scene before Ep 8 and that'll be that.

I find it curious that people sympathize with Theon. Bitch pretends he was a 'hostage' of the Starks when he was treated with more respect and courtesy than Jon! He was a prisoner in practically name only. I mean, I understand the character's conflict but that doesn't necessarily mean I sympathize with him! He's still a cunt. Especially later on when
he kills two innocent kids from a local woman and pretends they're Bran & Rickon
. But no. Poor guy has some identity issues so let's cut him a break. Thank God he gets some payback later on in the books.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Theon is a dick right now but what he goes through later in the books
(particularly in ADwD)
is way worse than 99% of the characters in this series deserve, including him.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
IT RHYMES WITH WEAK!
I kinda like it though, if only from a character development/shift perspective, :monster:. I mean, you hardly recognise the dude. I'm really curious about how it'll look in the series.

That is, if the series lasts that long.

Speaking of, am I the only one that watches the series due to curiosity about how they visualize stuff in the books? I noticed I'm already seeing the series as something different than the books, with some moments of recognition (omg that must be Ygritte lulz @ how her name is pronounced) sprinkled here and there.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I find it curious that people sympathize with Theon. Bitch pretends he was a 'hostage' of the Starks when he was treated with more respect and courtesy than Jon! He was a prisoner in practically name only. I mean, I understand the character's conflict but that doesn't necessarily mean I sympathize with him! He's still a cunt. Especially later on when
he kills two innocent kids from a local woman and pretends they're Bran & Rickon
. But no. Poor guy has some identity issues so let's cut him a break. Thank God he gets some payback later on in the books.

We call that a 'fall from grace'.

Darth Vader murdered a bajillion people, but the audience can still find it in themselves to pity him in the end. Kinda the same here :monster:
The fact is that he feels so ridiculously alienated (and emasculated lol) that the only way to try and solve that is to lash out at the people closest to him.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
We call that a 'fall from grace'.

Darth Vader murdered a bajillion people, but the audience can still find it in themselves to pity him in the end. Kinda the same here :monster:
The fact is that he feels so ridiculously alienated (and emasculated lol) that the only way to try and solve that is to lash out at the people closest to him.

Not a great analogy, to be perfectly honest. It was established that Darth Vader was actually once a great hero who earned the love and respect of his peers. From the get-go, Theon was pretty much a dickweed. Heck, one of the first things he does in the book is laugh at the renegade Crow executed by Lord Eddard and kick his head away. Even his TV show counterpart was a little douche in the first season. You'd be better off comparing him to Hayden Christensen's Anakin Skywalker than Sebastian Shaw's Darth Vader. And good luck with that. :monster:

Tsunami Shijo

Detective, Oni Exterminator
AKA
(was) Ruckasck, Jihl Nabaat, Tia Noto Yoko
What happens to Theon later in the books more than makes up for the horrors he committed. He's a sympathetic character because he doesn't belong to the Starks, he doesn't belong to the Greyjoys, and what he does to try and be worthy in his fathers eyes does haunt him in the end. He's not a remorseless killer, for all his arrogant attitude. He's a Stark at heart trying to be a Greyjoy, and in the end he has no home and doesn't belong anywhere. That's a pretty terrible feeling.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Dear HBO,

Stop changing stuff.
Jon's supposed to kill Halfhand.
. Okay fine, that might still happen, :monster:.

Regards,

A fan.

At least
you know nothing
, :monster:. Also, bearded Jaime is bearded, :monster:. I like characters dramatically changing appearance over time.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
What happens to Theon later in the books more than makes up for the horrors he committed. He's a sympathetic character because he doesn't belong to the Starks, he doesn't belong to the Greyjoys, and what he does to try and be worthy in his fathers eyes does haunt him in the end. He's not a remorseless killer, for all his arrogant attitude. He's a Stark at heart trying to be a Greyjoy, and in the end he has no home and doesn't belong anywhere. That's a pretty terrible feeling.

I can't agree with this at all. The guy is a horrible person and any feeling of solitude among the starks does not justify any of the shit he does.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
I can't agree with this at all. The guy is a horrible person and any feeling of solitude among the starks does not justify any of the shit he does.

The show actually deviated this week and made Theon look worse than his book counterpart. I'm pretty sure in the books it's
Ramsay/Reek
who plants the idea of
killing the two boys
. Not that it absolves him whatsoever or anything like that, but I know some people have used that to defend him before.

Why have they made Jon such a derp this season? I didn't understand why he was chasing Ygritte in the first place, let alone capturing her. In the book he deliberately let her slip away once Halfhand & co were out of sight. Also, unless Jon has a stiffy like a tree trunk I really doubt she'd be able to feel anything through all the thick layers they were wearing.

The stuff with Jaime caught me by surprise. Quite a moving scene and then
he brutally murders his little fanboy cousin.
Nothing like that even happened in the book. I think that will be kinda jarring for book readers, as the character's gradually redeeming himself, whereas
kinslaying
is something of a cardinal sin in Westeros and out of character even for him.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V

I don't think she was saying it justified his actions. It does at least partially explain them, though.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I don't think his reasons for doing so were ever in question

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
i never felt bad for theon in the least

also can this season stop ruining dany and everything around her

cersei, tyrion, and sansa are carrying this season