Game of Thrones

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
To really do the Battle of Blackwater justice you would need something comparable to Helm's Deep in LOTR. But obviously HBO only has a fraction of the budget that Peter Jackson had at his disposable. From what D&D have said about the battle, they will be using various techniques to cover that up, such as staging the thing at night time and keeping it to narrow-angled POV shots etc. And there doesn't seem to be any mention of Tyrion's chain either. I can't see him having that built within a matter of days. I have a feeling that whole mention of Tyrion's sewage exploits is a little bit of foreshadowing.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
btw just catching up on my episodes and i just wanna say that watching tyrion and arya banter and get along gives me a big dumb grin

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
btw just catching up on my episodes and i just wanna say that watching tyrion and arya banter and get along gives me a big dumb grin
*tywin

also i find it weird that bran is having a harder time than arya. she struggled a lot more in the books, and now she's just getting things handed to her.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
BRAIN FARTED shut up ;-;

lol a lot of Bran's misery is self-directed :monster: I mean Theon doing his thing and all is obviously tough but then the group go towards the farm and he's all "ngggehhhgeeehh"

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa

I like the way Tywin casually dumps her with the Mountain when he decides leave for King's Landing. All those little heart-to-heart moments between them and then in the end she's just another disposable servant. That's our Tywin. Can't wait to see his face when he realizes he had Arya under his nose all along.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I like the way Tywin casually dumps her with the Mountain when he decides leave for King's Landing. All those little heart-to-heart moments between them and then in the end she's just another disposable servant. That's our Tywin. Can't wait to see his face when he realizes he had Arya under his nose all along.
his discussion with cersei will be fun. 'how could you lose arya stark' audience: DOH HO HO HO

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
AWKWARD LANNISTER ZONE, INITIATE

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
i greatly enjoyed episode 9

though it looked like tyrion's gonna get a squall scar instead of getting his nose cut off (or is it a setzer scar i don't remember which scar went which way)

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Yeah it might ruin their CGI budget if they have to delete his nose every time he's on screen.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
izrz7s.jpg

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
lol sandor way to be a giant debbie downer

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
i did not realize the doll sansa held was the one her dad gave her until i saw a photoset with them

derp

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
also they did their best with what they had but that battle looked severely underwhelming lol

it looked pretty obvious that they didn't have a lot of extras goin on there :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Also,

rKYOf.png

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Well yeah, but Jon knows nothing and swore to celibacy, and Robb... well I dunno. Married his crown? :wacky:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
+ WILDFIRE. Explosion was breathtaking.
+ "Fuck the Kingsguard. Fuck the city. Fuck the King."
+ Comedy skit between Tyrion, Joff, Lancel & Sandor.
+ Over the top violence.
+ Almost makes up for eight episodes of mediocrity.
+ No Dany.
+ No Jon.

+/- Cersei. Sometimes I'm coming around to Lena Headey's performance and then other times she's a total drag. And that speech at the end? Blurgh.

- Sandor fire scene. Suffered from giving his monologue to Littlefinger in S1.
- Sandor & Sansa scene was hacked to bits.
- Pissing contest between Sandor & Bronn. Point of that...was? Also, Sandor would totally strangle Bronn with his own guts.
- Stannis the one-man army. Badass but dumb.
- No Chain. Tyrion's moment of glory swapped for some lame pep talk.
- Shae. "No man will rape me." This puny knife will surely save me from 500 randy-ass soldiers.
- Scene with Ser Mandon & Tyrion was confusing (for non-readers).
- Denouement of the battle was rushed.
- Probably should have ended with "Renly" barging through the doors instead of the Happy Days ending. Would have been a great cliffhanger for non-book fans.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Good episode, great scenes, and they did well on the sea battle, not quite making it look as big as it felt like in the books, but still. They could've done with MOAR FIRE though, :monster:.

As for Tyrion, it's just a scratch, get over it. They could've made it a bit moar convincing really, even without taking off half his nose. You know, make it look like a deep cut. At least moar blood. Also, they could do some more work besides that one short scene (as far as I remember) to point out who actually has a hack at Tyrion; only those that actually pay a lot of attention would've noticed it was a Kingsguard fellow (I wouldn't if I hadn't read the books). Also, those fuckers need to wear moar white. like. you know. a cape.

Sandor's acting wasn't very convincing; on the one side, you want to believe he's shitting his pants, but on the other, his acting's just not that good. Could've done with, maybe, some flashbacks (the flashy kind) and such. And better acting.

They put a famouse song from the books to actual lyrics and melody, but that too is a bit underwhelming.

tl;dr: the show is suffering from low budget. HBO can set up a good epic combat scene given budget (see: Band of Brothers, which I should rewatch sometime btw). Actually, I looked it up: BoB had a budget of $125 million, GoT's pilot between 5 and 10 million, season one estimated total $50 - $60 million, season 2 + 15%, so it's actually getting rather close, budget-wise. I still do think that the show excels in stages and the like though. And, in this episode, in gore :monster:. Someone had a wonderful day doing all that, I'm sure, :monster:

hm. Ser Lancel, tell the Hound to tell the King that the Hand is extremely busy.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
SOME THINGS TO PICK A FIGHT OVER (read: :monster:)
+ No Dany.
+ No Jon.
Sounds like someone's perception of the series is wildly skewed~

- Stannis the one-man army. Badass but dumb.

Okay I actually agree with this, :monster: I found it odd that Stannis would be cleaving down soldiers by his total lonesome (although I think I saw one or two dudes fighting with him). I mean, it looked like he was single-filing it through some random battlements, which looked pretty cramped, but there just didn't seem to be enough of his troops around him.

- No Chain. Tyrion's moment of glory swapped for some lame pep talk.
Now I agree with you about the lack of the chain, but I guess we all saw that coming ever since the episode before that.
And I loved Tyrion's speech. It was short and sweet, it said everything that needed to be said, and showed how clever Tyrion was at motivating people without resorting to the usual rhetoric of fighting for the king.
"Those are brave men knocking at our door! ... Let's go kill them."

- Shae. "No man will rape me." This puny knife will surely save me from 500 randy-ass soldiers.

It was either that or suicide, I guess :monster:. THIS IS A SNEAKING MISSION, APART FROM YOUR BINOCULARS, YOU'RE NAKED.

- Probably should have ended with "Renly" barging through the doors instead of the Happy Days ending. Would have been a great cliffhanger for non-book fans.

I'm not sure I understand what you're wanting from this.

Last edited:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Sounds like someone's perception of the series is wildly skewed~

No, just their scenes have been complete donkey bollocks this season. They've turned Jon into a chump (future Lord Commander? Do me a favour, I'd rather have Grenn) and Dany's been a whiny bitch with a crappy subplot that won't affect anything.

Now I agree with you about the lack of the chain, but I guess we all saw that coming ever since the episode before that.

Doesn't make it any less a disappointment. :monster:

And I loved Tyrion's speech. It was short and sweet, it said everything that needed to be said, and showed how clever Tyrion was at motivating people without resorting to the usual rhetoric of fighting for the king.
"Those are brave men knocking at our door! ... Let's go kill them."

The speech would've been fine if we had witnessed Tyrion's ingenuity in winning the war. Without the chain or any other brainchild, we only have the wildfire - which he hijacked from Cersei in the first place. Also, Tyrion spent most of the provision sitting around scratching his head, whereas in the books he was preparing the wildfire and had the chain being forged as well. This was supposed to be where Tyrion's smarts really came to the fore. I never got that from HBO.

It was either that or suicide, I guess :monster:. THIS IS A SNEAKING MISSION, APART FROM YOUR BINOCULARS, YOU'RE NAKED.

Shae's an annoying and dumb bint. That was my point.

I'm not sure I understand what you're wanting from this.

Exactly what I posted: Non-book fans would have been kept in suspense seeing Renly/Loras bursting into the throne room.

- The soldiers of King's Landing are incapable of pushing siege ladders off the walls. Their only MO is to keep chucking moar rocks.

Also, Yop, I don't see what was up with Sandor's acting. I guess they could interspersed some child screams or something, but that could've been too hammy. Like I said, I think some viewers wouldn't know why Sandor suddenly had a Despair Event Horizon, thanks to Littlefinger's throwaway scene in S1.

If they had kept Rory McCann's original audition, no one would've forgot it in a hurry (protect your ears at 0:55):

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Exactly what I posted: Non-book fans would have been kept in suspense seeing Renly/Loras bursting into the throne room.

Renly is already dead? :monster: Unless you're referring to Loras' brother who wears his armor or something?
I'm just not really seeing any part of that suggestion that is suspenseful, considering the battle is most obviously a Lannister win :monster:

Also, confusion as we've barely had indication that the Tyrells were going to ally themselves with the Lannisters

Top Bottom