Game of Thrones

The Game of Thrones facebook page semi-spoiled me of Ned Starks' death. It is one thing to tell about it in the "Inside The Episode" segments, but below that was a link that said "Maisie Williams Says Goodbye to an On-Screen Father" Read the latest post on Making Game of Thrones.". At that point I realised, ok it is probably Ned Stark who will die and not his daughter.

You certainly don't feel secure in the GoT universe. Whenever there is a sword fight your heart is pumping. The bad guys will do whatever they want and the only way to beat them is to abandon honor, if even that. I hate Joffrey...so...much...

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
EDIT: I bought the first two books, and as soon as I'm done with the current book I'm reading, I'm going to start reading them. Or do you think I should hold off until the end of the season? I don't mind being ahead, but would it be weird to read it in the middle of the season? Which would be better?

Honestly, I don't think it'll matter one way or another. I re-read Game of Thrones after watching the first two eps (hadn't read the book in 5 years or so) and it was really fun comparing it to what had already aired. It was also an excellent refresher for what was coming up and allowed me to enjoy the tv show more because I could pick up on all the details that you wouldn't really notice unless you'd read the books.

tl;dr read 'em whenever you like 'cause they'll always be awesome and the show will always be awesome

The Game of Thrones facebook page semi-spoiled me of Ned Starks' death. It is one thing to tell about it in the "Inside The Episode" segments, but below that was a link that said "Maisie Williams Says Goodbye to an On-Screen Father" Read the latest post on Making Game of Thrones.". At that point I realised, ok it is probably Ned Stark who will die and not his daughter.

Aw dude, that really blows. :/ Way to fail, facebook.

You certainly don't feel secure in the GoT universe. Whenever there is a sword fight your heart is pumping. The bad guys will do whatever they want and the only way to beat them is to abandon honor, if even that. I hate Joffrey...so...much...
Yeah, no one is safe. I'm pretty sure EVERYONE hates Joffrey, especially after he order Ned to be killed. I honestly can't think of a more unlikable character.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
The fact that basically no one is safe is a good part of what makes this series so unique. I can't think of any other TV series in history that has killed off what appears to be the lead in its opening season. Lost was originally planning to do that in the first episode but they didn't go through with it. This really drives home that no one is safe. Although I do suspect that it's unlikely Tyrion, Dany, or Jon will be killed until book seven.

Also I'm editing any spoiler tags referencing last episode's big plot twist to make it more obvious that you shouldn't click them if you haven't watched the episode.

@reading the books, honestly, do whatever you feel is most appropriate. I read the books six years ago and have refrained from reading past where the show has gone thus far because I kind of want to be surprised by minor things I've forgotten. But I probably would've enjoyed it just as much the other way. So, y'know, whatever.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I do hope he keeps /some/ of the original cast alive, :/. I really can't fathom where the series will end up at the moment. Yeah there'll probably be a big zombie invasion and the Seven Kingdoms doing war on 'em and Jon (probably) pwning the Lich King, but as for what it'll end up as? No clue.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if every major character dies and the zombie horde takes over, :monster:.

Last episode was win though. I like Shae. I love Walder, fucking awesome dudezor :monster:. A bit disappointed by
the battle, they made it look like Tyrion didn't actually do shit but get hit by a hammer

Here's to hoping they get a bigger budget for the coming seasons, :monster:. Speaking of, I wonder how they're going to spew special effects in the last episode...

Anyways. If they do get a bigger budget for the next season, I want moar epic battles, moar direwolves, and moar Hodor. In fact, hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor.

Hodor hodor hodor, hodor HODOR hodor hodor! Hodorhodor, hodor hodor hodor hodor. Hodor: Hodor hodor hodor, hodor hodor hodor. Hodor:

* Hodor
* Hodor hodor hodor
* Hodor, hodor hodor
* Hodor!
* Hodor hodor hodor hodor? Hodor.
* Hodor.

Hodor, hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor, hodor hodor hodor. Hodor hodor hodor hodor; hodor, hodor hodor hodor. Hodor hodor, hodor hodor hodor hodor.

Hodor.

Poor Jon Snow... With the death of Ned Stark, Jon will never know who his mother was. Took me until today to realise this. :P I had completely forgotten what Ned and Jon said when they parted.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Poor Jon Snow... With the death of Ned Stark, Jon will never know who his mother was. Took me until today to realise this. :P I had completely forgotten what Ned and Jon said when they parted.

Howland Reed most likely still knows. He may not have been mentioned on the TV show yet, but he was with Ned when his sister died and throughout most of the war. Given that Ned's sister is generally speculated as the most likely identity of Jon's mother (with Rhaegar being the father), if she were Jon's mother he would certainly know.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Next episode will probably lift your spirits some. There's a lot of mood whiplash with this series. Which is one of the reasons I love it.

gZQAV.jpg

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
from a something awful thread

the library's on fire and there's no guard at the door
and the wall is all muddied with a thousand lonely brothers
and a dark wind blows

the queen is corrupt
and we've drunk so much wine
with the coals smoldering and the curtains drawn

we're trapped in the belly of this horrible summer
and the summer is bleeding to death

the sun has fallen down
and the crows are all leering
and the banners are all dead at the top of their poles

it went like this:

the houses tumbled in on themselves
mothers clutching babies picked through the rubble
and pulled out their hair

the castle was beautiful on fire
all broken stone stretching upwards
everything washed in a thin orange haze

i said: "hodor hodor, hodor hodor -
hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor"

you grabbed my hand and we fell into it
like a daydream or a fever

we woke up one morning and fell a little further down -
for sure it's the valley of death

i open up my coinpurse
and it's full of blood

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Hodor, :monster:

Showed a rather critical friend of mine episode 1, he likes, so :monster:. He liked Lost too (or well, at the start, it went shit later on).

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
As far as I know, they have signed on for a second season. HBO rarely cancels shows that are doing well (can anyone think of an example?) We'll have to boost DVD sales just to make sure. =D

Is that how the first book ends? So many loose ends, it seemed... although now that I think about it, every storyline came to at least some sort of resolution.

-Jon and the people on the Wall head north to fight the evil.
-Robb's followers swear to him as the "King of the North!"
-Danaerys' storyline had some obvious closure.
-Arya and Robert's son become unlikely friends and leave King's Landing.
-Tonks and Bran become unlikely friends and Bran's dream takes on meaning.
-Sansa is in a pretty shitty place but she almost just effin' murdered Joffrey.
-Baelish and Varys have an Architect/Oracle moment (except well written).

It struck me as Sam was chasing down Snow. He's quite a lot like Sam from LotR. A big fat softie, and seemingly cowardly at first, but a loyal friend with bravery trying to burst through. It occurs to me that perhaps George R. R. Martin could/should have given him another name...

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
As far as I know, they have signed on for a second season. HBO rarely cancels shows that are doing well (can anyone think of an example?) We'll have to boost DVD sales just to make sure. =D

I think it may have already had a third season confirmed as well. Definitely a second season, anyways.

Is that how the first book ends?
Yes. :monster: All in all the tv show followed the book very faithfully.

It struck me as Sam was chasing down Snow. He's quite a lot like Sam from LotR. A big fat softie, and seemingly cowardly at first, but a loyal friend with bravery trying to burst through. It occurs to me that perhaps George R. R. Martin could/should have given him another name...
GoT Sam is a deliberate shoutout on the part of Martin to LotR Sam, so it's no surprise they're quite similar.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Aaron, give me Pycelle gif nao. :monster: Like
tumblr_ln2lthRB481qfv91lo1_500.gif
, but better.

Also, win episode, shame we have to wait until next year though, :/. And I also think they should've aired the 9th and 10th episode back to back.

Also, I like killing fat boys.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
YouTube comment

People complaining about a 1 year wait? Oh my sweet summer child. What do you know of waiting? Waiting is for the long night, when GRRM hides for years and children are born and live and die all before the next book comes out.
lol'd

Also I haven't seen a Pycelle .gif yet. However,
3XpHd.gif

sfE8g.gif

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
As someone who hasn't read the books:

In the beginning, I liked Sansa/Joffrey (even though he was a punk). But after the last couple episodes I realize that he's a huge ****. So even though Sansa isn't necessarily my favorite character, I feel really bad for her.

I love how Jon's story ended. Just... idk it left me all warm and fuzzy. What a difficult decision, and it really was interesting. And I like Sam ^_^

Danaerys... I really felt for her cause you could tell she really cared for and relied on the big guy. And I liked him! So I'm mad he's gone XD But I was surprised to see her survive, and with the dragons! So I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with that.

And my little Arya is now a boy XD I can't see her being able to hide it for too long. Even if she can hide it for a year or two... as she gets older (even just a year or two) it'll become more and more difficult :awesome:

And I feel terrible for Katelyn (sp?) Stark. I mean... her husband is dead and her children are all scattered. Must be very sad :(

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Reviews:
Interviews and other media:
Spoilers likely to be found in many of the above links. I haven't read most of them yet. If people like these I can find reviews and interviews for previous episodes as well.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
25qmje.gif

24hmpm.gif

More images:
FXRJB.gif

3TlWf.gif

8fvDp.gif

ulL0O.gif

Also, Sean Bean made a comment that appears to confirm that
Ned Stark is not Jon Snow's biological father. The comment:
Ned really knows who [Jon’s parents are], but he can’t let on. That’s why it’s such a moving moment, those poignant scenes I have with Kit Harington [who plays Jon], because I couldn’t say what I really thought. There are so many things I could have said, because there is a love there between the two of them, but I can’t express it as overtly as I can with the other children, who I can hold and kiss. Even if I were his true father, I can’t talk about it for fear of offending my wife, who’s really bitter about this. So it’s really a cruel situation. Through no fault of his own, Ned took on a lot by taking Jon in.
It came from here. If anyone other than GRRM and D&D would know who Jon's true parents were, it would probably be the actor that plays Ned in the show. So infer from that what you will.

Something that has never failed so far, is that each night after I've watched an episode of Game of Thrones I will have heavy dreams with random elements from the recent episode.

Each episode has so much tension, drama and shock value that my brain has to express it in my dreams and even the day after I will replay key scenes in my mind. There is something about the brutal and realistic tone that just crawls inside your skin.

I did not realise until I read an episode summary that Cersei Lannister was banging her cousin. I did not recognize the character without his clothes on. =/ Oh you silly Lannisters and your incest lol

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
Also, Sean Bean made a comment that appears to confirm that
Ned Stark is not Jon Snow's biological father. The comment: It came from here. If anyone other than GRRM and D&D would know who Jon's true parents were, it would probably be the actor that plays Ned in the show. So infer from that what you will.

:monster: In that case, I'm guessing Rhaegar/Lyanna are the parents, rather than Robert.

And I'm calling it now - there will be JonxDany in book 7, because that's how Targaryens roll. :awesome:

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
:monster: In that case, I'm guessing Rhaegar/Lyanna are the parents, rather than Robert.

And I'm calling it now - there will be JonxDany in book 7, because that's how Targaryens roll. :awesome:

Yeah, Rhaegar/Lyanna are the obvious choices for Jon's parents, I think. Granted, Robert has plowed so many women I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even remember all of them, but most of his bastards have been noted to resemble younger versions of him. Jon hasn't; he's been noted to resemble Ned. If Lyanna is his mother, that would explain the resemblance.

There are some pretty good write-ups of various theories on various internets sites; for instance, here, here, and here. None of them note that Sean Bean appears to have accidentally dropped that Ned isn't Jon's father though. Apparently D&D have made similarly suggestive comments according to the thread on NeoGAF, but it hasn't mentioned specific references yet.

It's also worth noting that GRRM has confirmed that Howland Reed will not have a point-of-view chapter anywhere in the series because he "knows too much." I presume this is because of the events in the Tower of Joy.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
By the way, it has been confirmed that the change to the first season from the third affected
Marillion. He doesn't die, however; he has his tongue ripped out.

Top Bottom