I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
Ohai pre-order options.

Guess who totally has the Epic Edition pre-ordered? :awesome:

Edit: Also:

Gears Official Site said:
GEARS 3 BETA LAUNCHING ON XBOX LIVE IN APRIL
Enlist in the most explosive gaming event of the spring: the Gears of War 3 Multiplayer Beta!

Get into the Beta by preordering Gears of War 3 through select retailers. The Beta begins April 25 and ends May 15.

For those of you who purchased the Bulletstorm Epic Edition (on Xbox 360 only), you get early access to the Beta, beginning April 18.

Three new multiplayer modes and four exclusive maps will be rolled out during the Beta period -- all running on dedicated servers. This is your chance to help shape the most anticipated game of 2011.

In the Beta you can play Team Deathmatch mode on the four new maps (Thrashball, Checkout, Trenches, and Old Town); Capture the Leader and King of the Hill gameplay modes will be added later in the Beta period. Also, be sure to look out for a surprise event weekend that you won't want to miss.

Not only will you get an early taste of the final chapter in this blockbuster trilogy, but you'll also have access to exclusive content that you can permanently unlock and carry over to your Gears of War 3 gamer profile when the retail game launches on September 20.

Exclusive Beta Unlockables

Flaming Hammerburst
Complete one match by Sunday, April 24 to permanently unlock.

Flaming Lancer
Complete one match during the week of April 25 to permanently unlock.

Flaming Sawed-Off Shotgun
Complete one match during the week of May 2 to permanently unlock.

Flaming Gnasher Shotgun
Complete one match during the week of May 9 to permanently unlock.

Beta Tester Medal -- Wear it proudly, Gear.
Complete one match in the Beta to permanently unlock.

Thrashball Cole -- Unlock Thrashball Cole to play as Augustus Cole as he was before Emergence Day -- a legendary Thrashball athlete known for his ferocious, flamboyant style.
Complete 50 matches in any game type to unlock for the Beta period.
To permanently unlock, complete 10 matches as Thrashball Cole during the Beta period.

Gold-Plated Retro Lancer -- Before the chainsaw bayonet was deployed at the beginning of the Locust-Human War, the original Lancer assault rifle had a large fixed blade.
Complete 90 matches in any game type to unlock for the Beta period.
To permanently unlock, score 100 kills with the Gold-Plated Retro Lancer during the Beta period.

Last edited:
Kind of want to know what's in it before I preorder but I'm glad there's editions announced.

Random: Is the first Gears worth playing? I've never tried it but with this one coming out I feel like I should play the first one for the story.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I would say yes milady

As indefinitely more awesome as the gameplay is, the story is still a fun ride. Gears 2 had better pacing imo, but they're both good.

gogogo

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Berserkers.

More than enough reason to play the first one. They will be back for the third anyway so yes yes yes.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Beserkers were batshit crayzee in the craynee

The later ones anyway.

Sheva Alomar

I'm Alive and on Fire
AKA
Adri, Sir Integra, Fiona, Sango
Berserkers were not my favourite form of Locust. I am indifferent to their return. >______>

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I thought they were awesome. I liked the intimate nature of the first game's combat and campaign. It also had a bit of an oppressive feeling that set the mood well for the story.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
They were awesome.

You only have about three run-ins with them in the first game but it's enough so that they are established as an awesome enemy, and not so much that they appear around every corner and become boring.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
As opposed to Brumaks which are just boring giant stone cows which walk on two legs and are repurposed as artillery platforms

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Gears 3 better have "The Cole Train" as its end theme.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
He'd better shout 'THE TRAINS COMING BABY' when he does a pendulum lancer rush.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Just a cosplay pic, but this guy on the left could really pull off Tai.

dsc06040.jpg

Multiplayer achievements just distract though. People go for them rather than playing the game. Or they just grind for them, which what's the point then?

I am pleased with the list.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
I too am disappointed in the lack of terrible achievements in multiplayer modes that I'll never play.

Massive roll of the eyes.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
First impressions on the beta:
-The classic Gnasher shotgun is WILDLY overpowered. Instant kill at close range, which is somewhat understandable, but it still manages to cause too much damage a bit further away. It's also rather annoying because so far that's basically the only weapon people use, since few are lucky to live long enough to use the new stuff.
-The new sawed-off shotgun has terrible range (especially compared to the Gnasher), but the targeting reticle is about three people wide, and very narrow. Great for multiple opponents at once, but you have to be pretty damn close (i.e. next to them) to down/kill the opponent.
-The Pendulum Lancer is called "Retro Lancer". It has more kick than the Hammerburst did in Gears 2 - which is saying a LOT. It's apparently fairly powerful: I wouldn't know, as my results are inconsistent. I've been downed by four rounds from it more times than I can count, though I've found it difficult to score kills with it like that. The bayonet charge is done by holding the melee button, and it has a very generous hitbox it seems, able to gore opponent's that aren't strictly lined up with it. That said, it's alo fairly easy to avoid, since taking fire slows the charging player down, and you need a fair bit of momentum to begin with. That said, THIS SHIT IS SO SATISFYING WHEN YOU DO IT O FUCK
-The Hammerburst no longer has any recoil kick to it whatsoever, and has ironsights. Dunno about power, because I've never been close enough to capitalize on it so far.
-Dunno anything about the chainsaw Lancer yet.
-The Digger Launcher is pretty crazy. Goddamn. Bigass explosion will tear you to pieces.
-The Flame Grenades are pretty interesting, coating a small area in this sort of like, liquid flame thing. Dunno how well it kills things on explosion, but it eats through health quickly enough that running through a tiny patch would probably kill you.
-The Gorgon pistol now fires completely automatic, but otherwise seems unchanged.
-Have yet to play with the Boltok much.
-Smoke grenades are ubiquitous, and actually have a use; they now have a bit of concussive force and the smoke is much thicker, making it a solid way to run up on people. THAT SAID, the tac-com is also much improved, and can be used to see through said smoke.
-Speaking of, the tac-com is actually REALLY awesome now. It highlights friends, foes, and weapons on the map - friends in blue, enemies in red, and weapon icons float where their spawn points are. It functions somewhat similarly to L4D, in that players have an outline (as opposed to just seeing their name floating above their head), but in this case, it also has a touch of x-ray to it, and it's pretty nifty.
-Anytime you jump over cover and there is an enemy directly opposite who is also in cover, you automatically kick them away, giving a very solid amount of hitstun to kill them in.
-Have yet to find the goddamn ink grenades, though I know they spawn on one of the maps.
-The Mulcher turret and Mortar seem unchanged. No sign of the flamethrower yet. Have yet to use or get hit by a torque arrow.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
First impressions on the beta:
-The classic Gnasher shotgun is WILDLY overpowered. Instant kill at close range, which is somewhat understandable, but it still manages to cause too much damage a bit further away. It's also rather annoying because so far that's basically the only weapon people use, since few are lucky to live long enough to use the new stuff.
-The new sawed-off shotgun has terrible range (especially compared to the Gnasher), but the targeting reticle is about three people wide, and very narrow. Great for multiple opponents at once, but you have to be pretty damn close (i.e. next to them) to down/kill the opponent.
-The Pendulum Lancer is called "Retro Lancer". It has more kick than the Hammerburst did in Gears 2 - which is saying a LOT. It's apparently fairly powerful: I wouldn't know, as my results are inconsistent. I've been downed by four rounds from it more times than I can count, though I've found it difficult to score kills with it like that. The bayonet charge is done by holding the melee button, and it has a very generous hitbox it seems, able to gore opponent's that aren't strictly lined up with it. That said, it's alo fairly easy to avoid, since taking fire slows the charging player down, and you need a fair bit of momentum to begin with. That said, THIS SHIT IS SO SATISFYING WHEN YOU DO IT O FUCK
-The Hammerburst no longer has any recoil kick to it whatsoever, and has ironsights. Dunno about power, because I've never been close enough to capitalize on it so far.
-Dunno anything about the chainsaw Lancer yet.
-The Digger Launcher is pretty crazy. Goddamn. Bigass explosion will tear you to pieces.
-The Flame Grenades are pretty interesting, coating a small area in this sort of like, liquid flame thing. Dunno how well it kills things on explosion, but it eats through health quickly enough that running through a tiny patch would probably kill you.
-The Gorgon pistol now fires completely automatic, but otherwise seems unchanged.
-Have yet to play with the Boltok much.
-Smoke grenades are ubiquitous, and actually have a use; they now have a bit of concussive force and the smoke is much thicker, making it a solid way to run up on people. THAT SAID, the tac-com is also much improved, and can be used to see through said smoke.
-Speaking of, the tac-com is actually REALLY awesome now. It highlights friends, foes, and weapons on the map - friends in blue, enemies in red, and weapon icons float where their spawn points are. It functions somewhat similarly to L4D, in that players have an outline (as opposed to just seeing their name floating above their head), but in this case, it also has a touch of x-ray to it, and it's pretty nifty.
-Anytime you jump over cover and there is an enemy directly opposite who is also in cover, you automatically kick them away, giving a very solid amount of hitstun to kill them in.
-Have yet to find the goddamn ink grenades, though I know they spawn on one of the maps.
-The Mulcher turret and Mortar seem unchanged. No sign of the flamethrower yet. Have yet to use or get hit by a torque arrow.

I have already pointed all of this shit out before.

Top Bottom